The Asus P5LD2-VM How-To Guide

DiaboliK

243 posts in this topic

kle500, you have to delete both files (and if you installed 0.4.pkg you must have them) and then reinstall the package, delete cache files and restart. Try again, i think I did it a couple of times :P

Finally made the sound to work with AppleHDAPatcher 1.16 and the 882.txt

I was trying yesterday the same with no luck, as i was dragging the txt file onto the patcher, but nothing was happening.

Now, i did the same and it worked.

But, during the patch and at the time the patcher was repairing permissions, it didn't stop repairing, it was continuously repairing and repairing, so i Force Quit it and repaired from Disk Util, then restart and DONE.

Strange!!!!

Thanks for the help guys

kle500 a question, are you in .4.9? or .4.10?

When I used the patcher in .4.10, they changed the name of the jacks, I mean, what before was Line Out, after was Internal Speaker.

Just for curiosity :P

kle500 a question, are you in .4.9? or .4.10?

When I used the patcher in .4.10, they changed the name of the jacks, I mean, what before was Line Out, after was Internal Speaker.

Just for curiosity :P

As i mentioned in my earlier post today, i am on 4.10

But to tell you the truth, i haven't try to put speakers (i will) to test.

I just saw in Sound that i have available outputs and inputs.

Will let you know if it works as B4 with 4.9

EDIT:

Putting Headphones in the front jack, it works fine (selecting Headphones as output).

I can't tell about the back jacks cause i never use them.

Regards

Since my first try with this project (osx86 and different os versions), i notice that during DVD Playback with DVDPlayer or FrontRow, the movie stutters (interlaced video)

Even now that i have 4.10 working, i tried with the same results.

It's not the dvd-rom or the disk as i have tested many different and changed dvd-rom for test.

Always the same, stutter during playback.

Anyone have the same symptom?

I haven't tried on a real Mac, but i doubt that it will be like this.

Also, as i mentioned in the past (in other topics), did anyone noticed the slow redraw in CS3 Illustator?

In an open sample file, If you turn the mouse pointer into a hand tool, you zoom enough and try to pan fast you will see how bad the scrolling is.

This doesn't happen on the same machine (another HDD), on win XP.

Can anyone confirm the above?

Regards

Hi!

I'm going to buy a 2GB kit because my two Kingston DIMM's are giving me problems ( system freezes and "Please press the restart button" error ) so I'd like anyone recommend me a brand and a model.

Thank you!

Since my first try with this project (osx86 and different os versions), i notice that during DVD Playback with DVDPlayer or FrontRow, the movie stutters (interlaced video)

Even now that i have 4.10 working, i tried with the same results.

It's not the dvd-rom or the disk as i have tested many different and changed dvd-rom for test.

Always the same, stutter during playback.

Anyone have the same symptom?

I haven't tried on a real Mac, but i doubt that it will be like this.

Also, as i mentioned in the past (in other topics), did anyone noticed the slow redraw in CS3 Illustator?

In an open sample file, If you turn the mouse pointer into a hand tool, you zoom enough and try to pan fast you will see how bad the scrolling is.

This doesn't happen on the same machine (another HDD), on win XP.

Can anyone confirm the above?

Regards

I had a similar problem when first installing Jas. 10.4.9. Video seemed a little jerky as though it was dropping frames. Are you sure you have your Processor FSB set to the correct speed as this will cause the same problem. A quick check of about this mac will display your Processor speed. Also load up a quick time movie from apples trailer web site and check Show Movie Inspector. It will display the frames per second, they should be running at 24-25 frames per second.

Ok, i've got a Crucial Ballistix PC-6400 DDR2-800 2gb kit.

I've done some o'cing and these are the xbench results:

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=238859

Pretty well in mi opinion...

I've set the FSB to 333 (c2d 6400@ 2,66) , the memory to 666@4-4-4-12 (with the memory said above), mem voltage to 1.904v, pci-e to 114Mhz and PCI to 33Mhz.. (From the Wallstreet's post, link in the first page)

With the stock cpu fan, it says 51 C when idle (3 more than without O'C and with 33 C outside in the street)

It's safe to leave it o'ced?

Thank you!

Hello. I have this board, the -DH version (which basically adds ICH7-DH SATA AHCI/RAID over plain SATA IDE ICH7 in the non-DH, and should be in the SATA functions completely compatible with ICH7-R I think). I was having some problems with SATA in AHCI mode, where it couldn't boot (waiting for root device...). With SATA in IDE mode, worked well. OS 10.4.7 JaS.

Now, I need some help with the AHCI. I can't get HotPlugging (which needs AHCI on) to work.

I managed to get it at least booting under AHCI set in Bios: 10.4.7 Jas, OSX on the only IDE HDD, four other are SATAII drives. First just "Waiting for root device" errors in AHCI. Finally I edited in AppleAHCIport.kext the section for ICH7-M into ICH7-R with corresponding DeviceID for AHCI mode (ICH7R/DH share the same ID, and as far as I believe are exactly the same except DH adds some sound chips and ViiV, totally unrelated to HDD support) (as far as Linux Vendor ID database says, ICH SATA chipsets have three device IDEs according to the SATA mode they are in - IDE Emulation/RAID/AHCI!!!). Now it BOOTED FINE in AHCI mode! However, I still got some kext problems in the IOATAFamily.kext plugins. Next, I edited the plugins under IOATAFamily..., mainly if I remember the IntelPIIX.. There was no section for ICH7-DH so I just put the Device ID under ICH7-R. Again with the AHCI Dev.ID, taken from the linux website. Just to be sure, I deleted the GenericPATA plugin or what it was called, didn't make a difference. Still worked fine, though this time it booted without any IO kernel extensions conflicts visible.

Now in System Profiler, all my SATA channels are recognised as AHCI, and the drives as NCQ. This is a sure sign of running in AHCI mode.

However, the drives still show as Removable:NO and Detachable:NO. Including the one in RaidSonic's IcyBox internal rack. And I don't get any eject menu on them. Is there a way to make hotplug work? Should I get later kernel or something?

Thanks! F

fx600,

I'm not able to help with your technical questions. However, you might wish to post this request in another section to get a wider response, the Hardware section, for example. As well, I seem to remember Bofors stating in another post that raid didn't work in hacks, but that might have changed.

As no one was answering your post, I thought I'd at least respond.

Regards.

Sleep kinda works.

I'm using Uphuck 10.4.9 version 1.4 r3.

P5LD2-VM pre revision 2.0

ps2 mouse and keyboard

PATA HDD

1394 PCI card plugged in and nothing else.

My beta BIOS dated sometime in the summer of 2007... (latest current as of this date) doesn't have that "repost or refresh video on S3 resume" option.

It seems to be hit and miss but it does usually go into S3 sleep and comes back out of it.

But it seems that loginwindow sometimes restarts and I lose everything on the desktop.

Choosing sleep out of the menu and pressing the power button seems to net the same result.

I haven't tried letting it fall asleep by itself yet.

Will try that next.

Well, that wasn't terribly productive. It hung on me coming out and countless reboots didn't seem to work.

I had to boot into single user mode, did a few fsck's and repaired permissions before I could boot again.

Something I'm not sure of though.

I have a Pentium D 830 and I seem to only see one CPU in the Activity Monitor. I can't remember if it was the Jas 10.4.8 install which displayed two earlier in the day or if it was before the sleep badness that there were 2 cpu graphs in activity monitor.

Also, in "about this mac", it only reads 1 core.

Blah! No more playing with sleep here. Hibernate/Safe sleep would be a more interesting idea....

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I'd like to pay my tributes to Diabolik, kle500 and all you other folks who have experienced this osx86 project. If it weren't for your experiences I wouldn't have been able to fullfill this dream of building a hackintosh. I've been waiting 3 years since this was possible at least financially for me.

I just read the whole post from the first page till now. And i guess im the last one to buy the Asus p5ld2-vm motherboard. I unfortunately had to wait for prices to go down by buying a used one from eBAY. So far I have the motherboard and I'm waiting for the chance to get the E6400 CPU. I think i'll be able to catch up to u guys soon enough to enjoy doing art and video on my hackintosh. Thanks again for the info and love the setups you guys got.

My setup so far= Asus P5LD2-VM mobo. 10.4.8 OSX86 dvd rom. - haha.

• 1 month later...

I have a P5LD2-V, that I think it's the same as P5LD2-VM but not being

microATX. I'm running Pentium D on it now, but I want to know if this board supports

C2D, coz I want to use stock kernels with EFI.

Have somebody tried this board with C2D, and if yes what;s the BIOS version that works?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

RE: Overclocking "Pentium Dual-Core" E2140 1.6GHz on the P5LD2-VM

If you have not heard of this processor yet, check it out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819116037

It's a conroe-based cheap Core 2 Duo for $74 w/free shipping at newegg. I got one to upgrade from my also cheap Celeron D 347 ($48 at the time) and it was a good upgrade. My XBench 1.3 cpu scores went from about 75 to 105, and everything else pretty much went up too. That was with the Celeron @ 3.48GHz vs the E2140 @ 2.02GHz.

Most of the reviewers of the E2140 claim overclocks of the 3GHz range on this cheap 1.6GHz "pentium" (BTW I checked with newest version of CPU-Z in winders, and it says "conroe").

But I have not been able to get higher than a stable 2.02GHz on my P5LD2-VM. Actually I did get a little higher, but I had to slow down the RAM and it lowered the benchmark scores.

Here is the info I have collected.

#1 - The E2140 needs the latest (beta) bios from ASUS - version 1401. Otherwise you get a CPU uCode error every bootup.

# ETC - Here's various reportings from CPU-Z and SetFSB....

The 3 manual RAM speed settings in the Jumperfree Configuration page are 1:1 (lowest), 3:4 (middlest), 3:5 (highest) - these ratios are FSB to DRAM, respectively.

The speeds listed in the BIOS RAM speed selector do not seem to be correct, according to a CPU-Z and a couple similar apps in Windows.

By using the above 3 ratios and the chosen FSB speed, I calculated what my pre-DDR memory speed would be. For example, if I set a FSB of 252 (my max stable with the E2140, so far), and the first/lowest RAM speed, I would get 252MHz RAM... then x2 for the DDR makes it 504MHz. That matched the windows app speeds reported. I tested each, and they all matched up this way with the ratios and DDR speeds. At the second/middle speed, 252 FSB became 336MHz x2 = 672MHz DDR. I could not go any faster with the RAM, so for the next setting I had to drop my FSB to the stock 200 (the E2140 has an 8x multiplier). At the last/highest RAM speed, my 200 FSB became 333MHz x2 = 667MHz DDR. If you whip out your calculator and use the 1:1, 3:4, and 3:5 ratios the numbers all match, and the CPU-Z reports the same.

I think my RAM/Motherboard combination is holding me way back with the E2140. At my max stable speed of 2.02GHz with 672MHz DDR, It runs in the high 20's Celsius and low-mid 40's under full load (both cores). This is with the stock aluminium Intel cooler and the thermal paste that came pre-applied to it. I have not tried a CPU voltage higher than 1.312v though. It runs just as fast if I undervolt it to 1.28v and it's cooler.

My RAM is 4x 512MB Corsair ValueRAM DDR2 667MHz with no RAMsinks / stock. I searched for the part number and overclocks, and people were able to get it to 880MHz stable at the 5-5-5-15 timings I use. WTF is my problem here ?!? I can't go higher than 672MHz without crashes. Is it the P5LD2-VM?

I also tested the PCI-e bus speed settings. I always keep the PCI locked to 33.3MHz, and the pci-e speeds need to be at least 114 to overclock and boot right - just like everybody else with this board. But the SetFSB program (the only I found that can measure the pci-e speed) reports what I set it to, not some 90Mhz plus overclock speed like others said. For example, I set 114 pci-e speed and the SetFSB program reports 113.3 to 113.9 pci-e speed. This makes me worry about clocking it up, but I am running totally stable with my settings currently. I have been running the iTunes visualizer at max size/speed/detail to max out the E2140, and it's been fine for a couple hours now @ 2.02GHz / DDR 672. Same test was stable also a couple days ago. I have gotten one lockup while playing Quake 4 though, but that was with lower CAS timings of 4-4-4-12. I wonder if it's the CAS timings or the pci-e overclock since Q4 runs the video card so hard? {censored}! I tried pci-speeds up to 119, but still no faster CPU.

Sorry if all this info is jumbled - too much coffee this morning :D

With my new E2140 "1.6GHz" processor, the P5LD2-VM will only allow me to choose a max FSB setting of 265. However, the max stable speed has been only 252 (8x multiplier makes 2016 MHz). It runs so cool though... and other people run it stable with a 100% overclock at 3.2GHz (see newegg reviews). Can anyone help me figure this out? Have I hit the max or should I keep bumping the voltage, pci-e, or what?

Full specs here:

E2140 1.6GHz 1MB L2 800MHz FSB - running at 2.02GHz / 1008MHz FSB

Corsair ValueRAM DDR2 667 p/n VS1GBKIT667D2 - running at 672MHz with 1.9v and 5-5-5-15 timing

P5LD2-VM with v1401 BIOS

XFX GeForce 7600GT XXX 650/1600 (stock... until there's a good NVIDIA OC prog for OSx86)

etc... nothing else related to OC'ing

• 3 weeks later...

This is another THANKS posting to DiaboliK for one awesome guide. After following the instructions correctly, I finally got my hackintosh.

The only thing I'm noticing with mine is that I have to restart the computer a few times since it'll either load to a black screen but fully working or load at a blue screen with a wrong resolution.

If anybody can offer some tips that would be great.

Anyways good job for helping all the new cats out there and keep doing your thing. Peace!

• 3 weeks later...

After all, I finally solved a sleep/wake problem.

I'm using 10.5.1 (Brazil mac) with P5LD2-vm 1st gen.

The most important thing seems to be a precise combination.

I used PC-EFI v.8 and with mach kernel called "mach sleep".

There was no modification to SMBios. I just used SMBios.kext included in PC-EFI v8.

Since I have Celeron D 331, I cannot use vanilla kernel. So I used "mach sleep", instead.

My guess is that original kernel will do the trick, but I cannot confirm.

With this combination, my machine seems to sleep well (S3 of course), but cannot wake up at all.

In fact, it may have woken up, but there is no screen coming back.

I use ATI x1600 pro (PCI,128MB, 0x71c2) which has VGA and DVI port.

Because only VGA (or D-Sub) is supported, I used a cable hooked up into the VGA port on my x1600 pro.

In this combination, There was no screen after wake up.

But, after I switched my cable to DVI port (on x1600) with DVI-to-VGA converter, and guess what, Voila!!

I could see a beautiful screen after wake up. This was amazing.

In short, you may try following experiments to solve sleep/wake problem.

1. Install PC-EFI v8 with appropriate mach kernel (mach sleep or original?)

2. Try to use the other port on your graphic card if possible.

That's it. Thanks for reading.