The Asus P5LD2-VM How-To Guide

DiaboliK

243 posts in this topic

hello dos the 4 memory rom sucket work . can the P5DL2-vw take 4gig memory?

if not. its there a board that is good as the P5DL2-vw it terms of 99% working. that i can use intel dual core cpu and get 4gigs or more rom to work ?

i've heard that mainboard using 945G chipset will not work with more than 3GB RAM. If you want to go for 4GB or more, it's better to choose P5W DH Deluxe or the intel bad axe 2 (975 chips). You will not have on board video so get a geforce 7xxx series with 256MB ram, 512 won't work.

• 3 weeks later...

Specs: Core 2 Duo 6300 OC to 2.04

Pioneer 111d _ Apple Supported/shipped

2 gb kingston ram

onboard 950 video

Samsung syncmaster 914v monitor

Everything works flawlessly but can't get it to sleep properly. It goes to sleep but restarts when I try to wake it up. Any hints?

sleep is the holy grail for all hackint0sh owners, which is one of the hardest to get since it depend on many parts of the computer from the proc to the gpu and kernel.

good luck with all that ;)

-DiaboliK

sleep is the holy grail for all hackint0sh owners, which is one of the hardest to get since it depend on many parts of the computer from the proc to the gpu and kernel.

good luck with all that :)

-DiaboliK

I know but having such a compatible mobo and video card should not be an issue. I installed 10.4.9 with uphuck's dvd and there is a lot of failed dependencies when it comes to acpi.

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin:

Version: 2.6.5

Last Modified: 5/4/07 11:16 AM

Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext

kext Version: 2.6.5d2

Load Address: 0x35115000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.driver.IOPlatformPluginFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kernel.6.0: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.iokit: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.libkern: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.mach: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Integrity: Kext is modified

I think this might have something to do with sleep not working in my system and probably others. Wish I knew were to get the correct versions from.

Diabolik thanks for the guide and your help!

I'm in a similar situation as nikonut, but I have a BFG 7950GT with 256MB of RAM. I haven't tried messing any further until I get a clearer understanding of what's needed to get the card fully functional. Right now I can only do 1024x768. Which additional drivers do I need and do I need to modify any kexts?

thanks!

For all the people with sound problems, as DiaboliK stated right at the beginning: use Taruga's patcher:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=231456

Sleep depends on your combination of NATIT version, AppleSMBIOS.kext version, kernel, CPU EIST support and you BIOS settings. You have to get the right combination of all to get sleep, good luck - when you get a working combo, post it here.

This board offers better OC on the E4xxx/2xxx series as you want a low bus and a higher multiplier. I got my E4300 to 2.7 on my -VM SE and 3.1 on P5LD2 SE. The P5LD2 SE (non -V) boards tend to use soundmax and different LAN and are a bit of a PITA, but are somewhat better over clockers due to more comprehensive BIOS features. That story is for another thread.

PPL w/ 7950s, they are somewhat troublesome, but it has nothing to do with the mobo this topic is about. There are threads ALREADY about this problem, and even IIRC a bios flash on macvidia, You'd be better looking for help there or in threads specifically about 7950s

Oh, and by all that's holy... ditch XBench already; you might as well compare the weight of dead chickens you can fit in your computer case. It's useless, broken (especially re: graphics and disk performance) and provides meaningless results.

I'm having an issue with my new OSx86 system. Everything works (when it works) but at times on bootup it'll just sit there. I reboot and -v to see if there are any errors and I get a

IOATAController device blocking bus

Anyone have any ideas?

I had the same problem, what I had to do is unplug the dvd-writer and everything goes OK.

In both drives I've set the jumpers in "Cable select" option, but i was only able to plug the Master connector to the DVD and the SECONDARY to the HDD (due to the shortness of the cable itself).

By the moment I've unplugged the dvd writer, I think buying a longer cable and connecting the MASTER connector to HDD and the SECONDARY to DVD it must be OK.

Sorry, I explain myself very bad :D

Hi all!

As everyone here has the same configuration more or less, it would be interesting that people who upgraded to 10.4.10 would post their experiences and some guide to do it.

Ciao!

Edit: OK, I've updated to 10.4.10... this is what I did:

1) Download 8.10.1 from irc and r3d3.kext

2) Backup Extensions Folder and loginwindow.

3) installed via software update 10.4.10 , putted r3d3.kext in extensions folder and changed the kernel to the downloaded one. (Don't restart! just ignore the software update dialog box)

4) Replaced AppleSMBIOS.kext, AppleAPIC.kext and AppleIntelACPI.kext from 10.4.9 (backed they up in step 2)***

5) Repaired permissions-

6) Restarted, prayed a little, and voilá!

7) Applied the Taruga's 1.16 patcher to restore sound

Everything works as well as with .4.9 , but the sleep (I've never been able to use this feature :) )

Bye!!!

*** I only needed to replace these kexts to get mac os x running, maybe you need some others,or maybe loginwindow if About this mac crashes or maybe you not... This is what i did so I'm not responsible if it fails :PPP...I have an asus p5ld2-vm se, 2 gb, c2d6400...and a xfx 7600gt,,, good luck!

Hi all

I'm a little confused... I'd like to know

PCi express works??---- Yes, 7600GT

IDE works?---- Yes

sound card works (on wiki I red audio quality problems)?? (include mic)? ---- Yes, but i've got the green and black jacks swapped.... ;)

Sata?--- I don't have Sata

sleep mode??----- Nope for me

On 10.4.10?? ---- Yes

THanks

Got some problems with SATA here ... and since everybody seems fine with it, there must be something I overlooked!

I originally installed JAS 10.4.8 on an IDE drive without a hitch. Everything seemed to be running smootly, just patched the usuals with this board.

Then I got a Seagate Barracuda 250G SATA drive and I figured I would be using that as my main drive for OSX and proceeded to clone my original install to the new SATA drive. It seemed to clone ok, then I tried to reboot by selecting the SATA drive, but no go. Figuring that maybe the cloning didn't go as well as expected, I tried different cloning methods: CarbonCopyCloner (CCC) and QuickBack from SpeedTools Utility. Still no boot.

So decided to start over with the DVD install ... seems to install ok, but hangs at the last minute when Finishing the Installation ... and hangs, and hangs .... I remembered to unplug any PS2 keyboard or mouse that might conflict in some installs too.

Is there anything in the BIOS I should look for? I noticed that all drives are listed as IDE on the main page, not SATA?

Also, I am not too sure about the "Enhanced" or "Compatible" settings in the Configure IDE drive menu.

and also, the configure SATA as "Standard IDE" is ok ? Although there isn't any other option there !!

Thanks for any input you can share !

Forgot this is the Tutorial page and not a place for questions.

Anyway, I resolved it by myself. See maybe I can share...

You see I am coming from Macs and have never played with BIOS settings and the works ...

So, to get my SATA to boot, I had to disable the second hard drive (on the IDE channel) in the BIOS, then it made it possible to boot from the other one connected to SATA. Even thought, the "disabled" drive in BIOS still shows up when I am running from the SATA drive.

I also finally figured out how to overclock my E4400 a bit. I am now running at 2.4GHz and my Xbench score is 142, disk included. Not bad ! I am sure there is way to push it a bit more, but I did not play with the settings too much.

Diabolik:

I see that you have the following:

Power Page:

- Suspend Mode - AUTO

- Repost Video on S3 Resume - DISABLED

- ACPI 2.0 Support - YES

- ACPI APIC Support - ENABLED

I don't have - Repost Video on S3 Resume - DISABLED - this option on my bios. How do I get to that option?

Diabolik:

I see that you have the following:

Power Page:

- Suspend Mode - AUTO

- Repost Video on S3 Resume - DISABLED

- ACPI 2.0 Support - YES

- ACPI APIC Support - ENABLED

I don't have - Repost Video on S3 Resume - DISABLED - this option on my bios. How do I get to that option?

are you sure you are on a -vm not just p5ld2?

Hi!

velayo, that also happened me, but after upgrading to latest BIOS, it began to appear.

After upgrading BIOS or installing OS X, but it appears now to me.

Just avoid that in the configuration by DiaboliK.

Byeee!

Hi!

netkas has just released an AppleSMBIOS.kext , I've given it a try and my system slept OK! I was so excited but the USB ports didn't work unless I replug them, and after a few tries, sometimes the system frozen, so no luck.. ;)

After all my problems trying to get a working system I have finally got a full working rig with the ASUS P5LD2-VM DH mobo. Original problem appears to have been a dodgy instal disc. After burning another version of 10.4.8 I got it running in about 20 minutes.

Sound is working with Taruga's ALC882 Sound Fix v0.4b. So far only tried audio out but the rest is there in the control panel.

LAN is working without any need for a patch.

At the moment I am using the internal graphics until I get a new graphics card, QE & CI both working ok

The only thing that might be improved is the disc speed which is slower than my Intel 915gagl mobo. The Bios on the mobo is set for use SATA as IDE. Ive tried the other settings but the result under xbench appear to be slower.

I have noticed there is a ICH7 instal on uphuck v1.3 . Has anyone tried this for better disc performance.

One thing I have noticed is that I dont get any teperature readings from the CPU in istat. it only gives me details of HD temperature

I would like to Thank Diabolik for his guide and if anyone else is thinking of a cheepish set up this is definitely the mobo to go for

- ASUS P5LD2-VM DH mobo

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU

- 1 x 250GB Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 SATA II

- LITEON SATA 20X DVDRW

- 2 x 1GB OCZ DDR2 PC5400