Working DVD Player

Admiral

41 posts in this topic

Hi there

I am looking for a working DVD Player software. The builtin dvdplayer 4.5 crashes with an "Bus error" when trying to read the disc. VLC for PPC also crashes.

Any recommendations? Thanks for comments.

My €250 Hackintosh:

ASRock 775Dual-915GL

Celeron D 325J

15GB HDD

LG DVD-Rom

Arctic Cooling T1 Case

I have DVD issues aswell, it wont read any DVD's, I would check bios settings to do with IDE maybe??? I was running this version of tiger on a older machine a couple of days ago with the same dvd drive which worked, that leads me to think that the bios may be set a little wrong on this board.

Alex

dvd player uses hardware accel on video card for mpeg2 decompress so the video card must be supported. since most of us arent getting hardward accel from our video cards we probably wont be able to use dvd player either until the video card drivers work.

looking at the source for accellent might help... (note: i'm not associated with accellent project, just saw it on 'net and thought it was cool)

or, compile mplayerosx for intel? or just download and try the ppc version under rosetta

I've tested VLC, xine and mplayer.

VLC:

- some issues: i had to load each vob individually

XinePlayer:

- very nice, menu support working

Mplayer:

- no menu, but was the fastest one

you can find them at macupdate.com

I tried Xine and VLC and cannot get DVD Playback to work, I get the following Error message(using console):

2005-08-21 16:23:09.824 XinePlayer[262] openDisc: /dev/rdisk1

2005-08-21 16:23:09.830 XinePlayer[262] Attempting to open /dev/rdisk1 -- dvd:/

libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 1.0 from http://xine.sf.net

libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.

libdvdnav: DVD Title: ARMAGEDN

libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 25847340

libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative): ARMAGEDN

libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fe0000. Regions: 1

libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!!

I believe the probem is the Encypted DVD support is unavailable. kaleph, what type of setup do you have (SSE2 or SSE3, and do you have Core Graphics suport (GMA900 Video Card), Also are you running Native or VMWare?

I tried Xine and VLC and cannot get DVD Playback to work, I get the following Error message(using console):

2005-08-21 16:23:09.824 XinePlayer[262] openDisc: /dev/rdisk1

2005-08-21 16:23:09.830 XinePlayer[262] Attempting to open /dev/rdisk1 -- dvd:/

libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 1.0 from http://xine.sf.net

libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.

libdvdnav: DVD Title: ARMAGEDN

libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 25847340

libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative): ARMAGEDN

libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fe0000. Regions: 1

libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!!

I believe the probem is the Encypted DVD support is unavailable.  kaleph, what type of setup do you have (SSE2 or SSE3, and do you have Core Graphics suport (GMA900 Video Card), Also are you running Native or VMWare?

sorry, i broke me install messing with some drivers - i´ll try to test it later

Thanks for all comments right now.

These are my efforts to get DVD working:

1. Tried to install Fink as shown in the wiki an then compile xine-lib myself -> Fink fails to bootstrap

2. Installed darwinports -> success

2.1 Tried to compile xine-lib -> gcc-3.3 fails because of the missing cc1 tool

-> gcc-4.0.0 fails because of an error with asm and some BREG register

-> gimp2 fails with an simmilar error

3. compile xine-lib-1.1.0 from the xine hp, which is for gcc-4.0.0 fails too.

I am using XCode 2.2 dev preview from ADC

Maybe somebody has an idea of getting fink to run, or how to fix the darwinports errors.

Thanks Admiral

Admiral,

What is your current setup? I am having the same problems trying to get it working. My friend has a Intel 915GEV board and has no problems using XinePlayer or VLC(only DVD Player fails to work), I on the other hand cannot get either of them to work on My Centrino Laptop (P4 1.7M) The problems as you can see in the above post has something to do with (libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.) I believe this is becuase of the modified/patched 'libSystem.B.dylib' as on the Intel 915GEV board with a SSE3 Enable chip, this file Coregraphics are not modified.

Thanks for all comments right now.

These are my efforts to get DVD working:

1. Tried to install Fink as shown in the wiki an then compile xine-lib myself -> Fink fails to bootstrap

2. Installed darwinports -> success

2.1 Tried to compile xine-lib -> gcc-3.3 fails because of the missing cc1 tool

-> gcc-4.0.0 fails because of an error with asm and some BREG register

-> gimp2 fails with an simmilar error

3. compile xine-lib-1.1.0 from the xine hp, which is for gcc-4.0.0 fails too.

I am using XCode 2.2 dev preview from ADC

Maybe somebody has an idea of getting fink to run, or how to fix the darwinports errors.

Thanks Admiral

I get the following error with DVD Player:

0x9002b360: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib : __pthread_body + 0x60

0xffffffd5: No symbol

Admiral,

What is your current setup?  I am having the same problems trying to get it working.  My friend has a Intel 915GEV board and has no problems using XinePlayer or VLC(only DVD Player fails to work), I on the other hand cannot get either of them to work on My Centrino Laptop (P4 1.7M) The problems as you can see in the above post has something to do with (libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.)  I believe this is becuase of the modified/patched 'libSystem.B.dylib' as on the Intel 915GEV board with a SSE3 Enable chip, this file Coregraphics are not modified.

I removed RPC form my DVD-Rom because I thougt the XinePlayer errors above were caused by this. The removal worked, but still the same errors:

XinePlayer:

libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable. -> Exits with error 7

and VLC:

[00000502] access_file access error: read failed (Permission denied)

and DVD Player:

Bus error

so still no DVD player working on my system:

Celeron 325J

ASRock 775/Dual

1024MB Ram

160GB SATA

DVD-ROM: HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8163B

I gave VLC x86 a try and it is still a no go! I am getting a 'access_file: read failed (Permission denied)' Error.

For those who tried VLC, did you try this one?

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/X86_software

Scroll down and you'll see a link to some downloads.  I believe this is the x86 compiled version. (if people were trying the x86 one and not the ppc, ignore me :P)

Am using VLC x86 too. I do not think ist is a problem of the player software. All players except the apple one use libdvdcss to descramble the DVDs. Libdvdcss needs raw access to the DVD-drive. In my opinion Mac OS X refuses this access mode, and thats why we all get those permission denied errors.

Let's try to get some more information about the raw disk access, and maybe this is the way to solve our problems

I just tried a Movie DVD that I backed up with DVDShrink (My son loves to destroy DVD's) and it worked using XinePlayer and VLC (both PPC and x86 Versions) I believe that DVDShirnk strips the encryption from the movie and thus allows them to play. I found that Xineplayer works better, but both cannot play fullscreen on my system, I do not have QE enabled.

My theory as to why Encrypted DVD's lead back to the SSE2 patch for 'libSystem.B.dylib' as my friend with a SSE3 CPU and an Intel 915GEVL has no problems playing Encrypted DVD's (except DVDPlayer which crashes.)

Well, i have a Maklar DVD installation of Mac OS X, so I am not exactly sure if I have a SSE2 patched 'libSystem.B.dylib'. We can do a checksum test of the library to get more information on this topic. I am currently under Linux, so I will post my md5sum of the lib later.

Can somebody post the unpatched version of the lib, or do a md5sum post? That would be great. docangle can you compare your lib to your friends lib?

Thanks for this aspect!

OK here is my md5sum of /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib: c57a2da8a73958377242a6602f2db1f6

-> but I dont think this is the right direction of solving the problem

Linux is able to descrable my DVDs, so think my problem is not a hardware issue. Mac OS X seems to be the troublemaker.

Thanks for further help

Any new progress?

OK here is my md5sum of /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib: c57a2da8a73958377242a6602f2db1f6

-> but I dont think this is the right direction of solving the problem

Linux is able to descrable my DVDs, so think my problem is not a hardware issue. Mac OS X seems to be the troublemaker.

Thanks for further help

Ok one more test done:

I dd (with Linux) a dvd from my RPC free DVD-Rom into an .iso file. This file is mountable in Linux and Mac OS X too.

I am able to open the video_ts folder with vlc an it plays the dvd, but it does not use the decss lib (so no viewable video). That is normal, because the mountet .iso is not a real disk. And so no descramble of the disk.

The problem of playing DVDs is Mac OS X:

- It does not allow raw access to the disk (dd does not work to copy a dvd into an iso file).

- MacOS X has something built in, which refuses us to get the raw access to any copyprotected DVD.

- all opensource players use libdvdcss to descramble the dvd. It needs raw access.

- I do not think ist is an hardware issue

Solution:

- We have to enable the raw access to the drive.

I am new to MacOS X so I have absolutely no idea how to get the raw access working.

Here is the image of the error that DVD Player gives right before it crashes.

Also, I got VLC to play the DVD by specifying the location of the VIDEO_TS folder, however, I can only watch it at 50% and NOT do anything else on the machine if I want the sound and video not to be choppy.

post-7415-1125348717_thumb.jpg