Working DVD Player

Admiral

41 posts in this topic

Got a little bit deeper to the error!

This is what my system says while vlc tries to read the disk:

Aug 31 10:07:21 admirals-computer kernel[0]: disk1: privilege violation.
Aug 31 10:07:21 admirals-computer kernel[0]: udf_read: error 13
Aug 31 10:07:21 admirals-computer kernel[0]: SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x6f, ASCQ = 0x03

(tail -f /var/log/system.log)

The translation of the last line is:

6F/03 READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION

(The hex values are error codes of the SCSI commands sent to the drive)

Has anybody an idea, what the SAM Multimedia service does? And maybe is it possible to get arround it?

My solution is a little less-technical than the current thread...

I was happily enjoying VLC (at 1/2 size, of course) until I got Quartz to work and then VLC only displayed video in pink/green. I (finally) got Xineplayer to work but because I'm running at 1600x1200 the video is quite small. Anyways, my 2 cents for you guys - download Xineplayer for G3 NOT the G4/G5 version and just lower the res to 800x600 and you have about 60-70% of your screen available for your dvd viewing pleasure...

The video size is untouched for comparison between UXGA and SVGA.

Good luck!

post-8544-1125627384_thumb.jpgpost-8544-1125627741_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I too can not get DVD playback working and I have a spec similar to the $200 Mactel:

- ASRock 775Dual-915GL

- P4 2.8GHz Prescott (SSE3)

- NEC 3520AW

And I've installed using the generic DevKit DVD with patch. My errors on all the suggested software seem to be exactly the same as Admiral's.

Anyone got this working yet? Bit annoying coz everything else works! B)

Search at the http://forum.rpc1.com/ on the Macintosh section for XVI utilities for DVD RPC1 drives

i downloaed region x for osx. set the region to none. still no luck on getting encrypted dvd's to work, tried ,player ,vlc. also defaut dvd player keeps crashing. i hav a 915 chipset. i have the new maxuss oah950 files thats suppose to help rosetta an sse3. i have to right click safari and check "run with rosetta" to get flash to work? how do i run apps in rosetta(like the DVDplayer) in rosetta, the optin isnt available?

Yes it seems the problem with the 915 boards is playing encrypted DVDs, and since we have QE and CI I'm thinking Admiral was along the right lines when he suggested its because we don't have raw access. I have no idea how to solve that problem though unfortunately :blink:

I wonder if anyone has it working with a 915 board and a Pioneer "Superdrive", would that make any difference??

I have only gotten VLC and Mplayer to work using an Intel 915GEV motherboard, My laptop and all other combinations fail to work, I have a feeling it is something to do with the IDE drivers only allowing the Intel MB's to use RAW mode. Also the DVDPlayer by Apple is a no go, even on the Intel 915GEV MB (I even tried it with a Pioneer DVD drive that showed as Apple supported.)

It's not a crash, since many don't have Quartz Extreme Enable DVD Player cant play because it not find where to play it, same as OpenGL.

Well i have QE and CI and I get the same error. And if I start DVD PLayer without a disc in it Bus Errors. I also have SS3 and the orig CoreGraphics, do i need to replace my libSystem too was it patched in the deadmoo image?

I have Qe only on an 865 chipset and get permission denied when trying to play dvds with vlc and mplayer.I used to get this error in linux untill i set the permissions correctly.Although i can figure out how to do it in OS X.IT needs to be set to read/write axx

• 2 weeks later...

A note here on RPC1/2, 'cos it's crept into the discussion and I don't believe that's the problem here.

Region Management and Content Scrambling (CSS) are not the same thing. The problem we're looking at in this thread is the inablility to handle encrypted DVDs. More on this futher down this post.

I think it's worth explaining the region management system for those who don't know. If you do know, ignore the rest of this post. I'm writing this to avoid further confusion and because a lot of people have no idea what Region coding is or what it means. I guess that's reasonable if you live in one continent and don't go anywhere else since it's not something that you'd need to know about.

The world has been carved up into 'Regions' for DVD distribution. This is a blatant and completely unfair method of limiting a DVD user's rights but it's supposed to be to curtail piracy, enforce distribution dates and 'help' the user by preventing playback of a disc encoded with a non-compatible TV system. Unfortunately around 1998 (I think) the motion picture industry mandated Region Code Management in all DVD drives and players and refused to supply manufacturers with CSS keys if they didn't implement it.

So ... all DVD drives manufactured after that date are "RPC2" and have an internal region setting which can be modified only a few times. Fortunately it's usually possible to 'flash' hacked firmware into your drive which either resets the internal region counter or disables region coding altogether. Some nice drives, like those made by Lite-On (which includes the Sony 'superdrive' in current desktop Macs) can be made RPC1, or region-free, by running a little utility called LiteOnRPC. Hacked firmware, flashers and utilities are all available at http://www.rpc1.org as macgirl said earlier. Note that not all drives can be flashed, there is a risk of totally disabling your drive, and even if your drive can be flashed it may be several months after a new model is shipped before some clever person creates hacked firmware.

A drive modified to be RPC1 (region-free) is only half the story. The operating system (Windoze or OSX) also keeps a counter and enforces regionalisation. There are tools for both systems (e.g. DVDGenie, RegionX) which will fix this particular limitation. For Windoze at least you can also get device drivers which sit between the physical drive and the OS and fool the operating system into thinking that it's playing a disc from the right region. Slysoft's AnyDVD is one of these and it's excellent.

But that's Region coding. Although the OS and the drive cooperate to discuss whether your disc is the correct region, once they've decided that it's all OK region coding has no further part in the process. There's a wrinkle in that something called RCE (Region Code Enhancement) prevents some discs from playing on drives that have been modified to be region-free, but nearly all region hacks these days circumvent that too.

(Note that commercial DVDs are also produced in either PAL or NTSC video standards. On a computer that usually doesn't matter; on a set-top box through a TV it might make a difference or it might not...)

Now we get onto encryption. Most (not all, surprisingly) commercial DVDs are encrypted using a key. The counterpart key is physically present in the DVD drive you have. There has to be a low-level exchange between OS and drive, and drive and disc, before an unencrypted stream is produced. Most commercial DVD player software supports this and the Apple DVD player is no exception.

Third-party DVD player software usually doesn't bother about the encryption dialogue with the drive and disc and instead takes the encrypted stream directly, applying a 'cracked on the fly' key and using LibDecss to decrypt the stream in software.

This I believe is why we're seeing some of the problems with commercial discs. It appears to be the case that the low-level negotiation isn't working in OSx86 so the 'genuine' decryption method fails. The third-party decryption is carried out later in the process and that works just fine - except it's slow because you're probably running a PPC binary through emulation with Rosetta and so on.

I'd think that most of the posters here are using hardware which is already correctly region-set and the operating system is happy with that so RPC isn't a issue. What we're dealing with here is CSS.

longwinded technical discussion>

As a point of note I am SERIOUSLY pissed off by Region Coding because I live/work in both the US and Europe and if I couldn't circumvent it I'd need to buy two copies of every DVD, two players, two sets of computer drives blah blah and that is just completely unreasonable. I always flash my drives and set-top players to RPC1 and install operating system fixes. I admire some countries, like Australia, which apparently declared region coding 'unconstitutional' and have to offer region-free hardware.

Further point of note - I usually make (illegal, I guess) copies of all the DVDs I purchase because so I can make them region-free (there's no hack yet for the Panasonic drive in my PowerBook) and I also strip off those annoying FBI warnings, enforced trailers and interminable studio logos which you can't skip. Going straight to the menu is wonderful! Also my set-top box won't upsample commercial DVDs (again, stupid copyright laws to prevent direct video copying) so my copies actually play at better quality than the original. But that is getting really off-topic, I just wanted to one last shot at the stupid arrogance of the movie industry.