software updates from apple website on hackintosh ?

avenger

24 posts in this topic

hi guys when i checked for software updates .......

i have the following updates------->image

i was wondering what all can i update them without breaking my hackintosh

i know that i cant update any combo updates like 10.4.x----->10.4.y

but what about other updates like security updates and application updates???

what all can i freely update them????

thanx in advance :unsure:

post-60082-1169873940_thumb.png

Edited by avenger

Guest bikedude880
You can update just about everything besides full OS upgrades (e.x. 10.4 -> 10.5)

Lol Colonel... I don't think anyone will be able to just "update" from 10.4 to 10.5 XD

Well, following some advice from here I 'broked' my install :thumbsup_anim:

I installed everything on that list and it now is not giving me a menu bar at the top, and I can't launch Safari. It just stays in the dock and keeps on flashing the black up arrow at me as if it is opening but it doesn't work.

I'll check back in after I try it in safe mode...

joneSi

Well, following some advice from here I 'broked' my install :)

I installed everything on that list and it now is not giving me a menu bar at the top, and I can't launch Safari. It just stays in the dock and keeps on flashing the black up arrow at me as if it is opening but it doesn't work.

I'll check back in after I try it in safe mode...

joneSi

hmmm...........god save me :blink: ..... i havent installed any of them yet

plz someone confirm what all i can install

will installing security updates broke my hackintosh????.....im mainly having doubt here!!

From my experience all of those updates are safe except the security updates, (i'm not sure about the airport...but since you're on a hackintosh and don't have one, i wouldn't use it). My rule of thumb is don't download security updates, or stuff for hardware i don't have.

Hi :)

I have made a disk image(backup) of my current OSX installation with Carbon Copy Cloner and after installing all updates except the airport one, everything works fine here!

My machine is Pentium D920 , MB: Intel 945GPM

Good luck!

:D

Hi

Does anyone know if is it safe to do the following updates? (Security Updates 2006-007) (Security Updates 2006-008) (Security Updates 2007-001) I´m using OS X 10.4.8 JaS SSE3 Intel - Kernel 8.8.1.

Thanks !

I installed both those without problems.

One thing to remember is what initial install you are installing on top of. For older hackintosh releases, updating caused the finder to stop working and it needed to be manually replaced. With the last JaS release, this was taken care of so not a problem.

So for help, maybe list what you want to update and what you are already using.

Now, how WOULD one update the entire OS from say 10.4.6 --> 10.4.8, would I have to DL a WHOLE NEW OS or are there patches I can get?

It's possible and there are quite a few threads on the subject, just look in the search menu for 10.4.8 combo update or something of the like and you will find out a method, there is also an update available from demonoid...

The security updates are fine to install. If you don't use any of the other iLife stuff, then don't update. I only use iTunes and iPhoto and have installed all security updates and I haven't had any issues.

Chevy

On a brand spakin' new installation (on nforce4 sata...w00t) I again broke the install with only security updates. Just thought all should know.

joneSi

Perhaps it has something to do with having an nforce4 chipset vs an Intel 945 chipset which is what I have. Just a thought.

Chevy.

Could be. Just thought I would check in...btw. My latest install (NFORCE 4 SATA...w00t w00t!!!) is a freakin' dream. 127 or so on the xbench. Yeahaaaaaaaaaa.....

joneSi

I installed both those without problems.

One thing to remember is what initial install you are installing on top of. For older hackintosh releases, updating caused the finder to stop working and it needed to be manually replaced. With the last JaS release, this was taken care of so not a problem.

So for help, maybe list what you want to update and what you are already using.

Thanks,

It worked fine for me too. :P Also, do you know how to fix the bug when you click at "About This Mac", cause here it just flicks the monitor and close all programs, but what happens is no information at all.

Thanks again.

If you have a Netgear RangeMax Next (draft 802.11n) card with model number WN311B, it probably has the Broadcom BCM4321 chipset (mine does), and installing the airport extreme update worked fine for me.

Now if only I could find a way to get the 802.11n enabler working for my card... apparently the new iMacs have an airport extreme card with the same chipset and those can be updated with the enabler.

I didn't see a system requirements check like Parallels, but maybe it is buried in one of the other files. It tells me my system doesn't meet the hardware requirements for the enabler, but to me it smells like a CPU ID issue rather than it not liking my card