SONY VAIO AND OSX? Audio| Wireless|Geforce|Others

332 posts in this topic

Hi guys

I have a problem with mi vaio and I would like to know if it is common

My laptop specs

Sony Vaio 230P/B

2GB Ram (it's 530MHz but leopard detected as 400MHz)

120GB WD

Intel 945GMA

Installed Kalyway with combo update 10.5.2 n Graphics update

When I write a letter in Word, excel or in a textbox I get a litle square image on the screen, I read that its a problem with intel GMA945 and the resolution of my screen 1200x800, does it happen to anyone?

(sorry, I'm from latin america)

me too! the cursor is "freeze" and make an afterimage on screen. the cursor is a quite lag only on the mac office.

can anyone help?

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

im thinking to buy a sony Vaio FW11e and i couldnt find 100% the information i seek. Funny that when i use the search engine of this site i cant find a topic whit this Model but google found one in French and spanish about this Model 6(^.^);

I would like to know if there is any known problems on this model to install osx.

Thanks and whit kind regards,

Flash-DSL

If it has an nVidia card, it propably (99% sure) won't work! All VAIO's with an nVidia card have LCD issues which can't be resolvend up until now (for about 2 years now ...)

If it has an onboard (intel) card, I guess it will wor, if it has an ati than I don't know

It has an ATI 3470 and in the spanisch Forum i read something about driver bla bla bla i couldnt understand all ^^;

But thanks for your warning. I may try it... im working in a IT Store (no Apple PCs) so if i had time to change the Harddisk i may try it my self.

Problem is today is a lot of work around so i dont know if im able to do.

Of course i write it here if i found out something.

Well this is not the solution i was searching...

GPU - Working at not Native Resolution

WLAN - Intel 5100 not Working (again no wlan, i already have a Notebook whit no Wifi)

LAN - Marvel Yukon working after some edits in kext files

Sound - Didnt worked and i stoped testing because it became to much work

Motion Eye Webcam - works

It's the same as other VAIO's I guess ... I only think he might get his sound working with the proper edits, but not having full support for your GPU is quite bad! (I've bought an 24" LCD to be able to use OSX on my VAIO, the moment the new mbp's arrive, I'm buying one!)

Well this is not the solution i was searching...

GPU - Working at not Native Resolution

WLAN - Intel 5100 not Working (again no wlan, i already have a Notebook whit no Wifi)

LAN - Marvel Yukon working after some edits in kext files

Sound - Didnt worked and i stoped testing because it became to much work

Motion Eye Webcam - works

Can you please tell us how you got your WebCam functional

I installed the GMA950 driver and works like a charm. Thanks Neos.

Nivida Go 7400 still just 1024 x 768...still looking for solution.

Kalyway version 10.5.2

Below is my Vaio configuration.

Model: SZ28GP

Display: 1280 x 800

CPU: T2500

Memory: 2G

EDIT:

GMA940 works for both internal & external with CI/QE enabled

Nivida Go 7400 work for external display with CI/QE enabled

upgraded mini pci express wifi card with AR5008. It works fine with 300Mbps.

• 1 month later...

Vaio users which have GMA945 vga are able to work by replacing the appleintelintegratedframebuffer.kext ( 1.4.18 tiger version )....

You will get native display as long as you set "lcd mode" to "expand" under bios...

For those which have NVidia vga on Vaio......sorry it won't work..... efi,nvinject due to Vaio LCD

For those who have problem with their gma945 goto post 121 and download the appleintelintegratedframebuffer.kext ( 1.4.18 tiger version )

• 3 weeks later...

Based on your specs

NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GS notebook graphics processing unit(GPU) (SPEED MODE) / Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (STAMINA MODE)

Switch to stamina mode and find Intel X3100 driver... it should work.

Nvidia will not work on Vaio Notebooks.

hi,neos

thanks for your repled

i try many X3100 kext and install Natit,but it still not work

i looked at the following post to try their success all the way but failed,always blue screen or stripe

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=71784

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=70282

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=69826

why? i am really frustrated

Hi folks,

like flashdsl, i got an FW11E and currently these things aren't working:

• Intel WIFI 5100
  • ATI HD 3470 (there isn't any solution out yet)
  • proper sleep mode

i started a topic for that particular VAIO series a couple of days ago:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry975254

Everything is working fine out-of-the-box using kalyway 10.5.2, especially:

• Sound works after installation
  • Webcam works right after installation
  • Bootup resolution of 1152x864 using OSx86 Tools that can be found here (CAUTION: USE VERSION 149 NOT THE ACTUAL 150, YOU MIGHT MESS UP THE BOOT HEADER!)
  • Marvell 88E8055 kext i used can be found here.
    Note: only AFTER installation of ethernet drivers some things like "time machine" will start working on this machine.
    Note 2: Many programs in Mac OS use the graphics devices for proper work. So, you can backup your harddrive using time machine, but you can't start the whole time machin GUI without proper 3470 kext. same goes to keynote, etc.
  • Full support of USB ports.
    Note: i even use a Hauppauge WinTV T-Nova stick and with EyeTV it works like a charm: just plugged in, installed eyeTV and everything works!
    Note 2: i'm still booting my whole Mac OS from an external USB drive, i will prepare a dual installation on iinternal HD as soon as 3470 and Wifi work.

I don't know, if it's an issue or not: i don't see any battery icon when unplugging the vaio from power circuit. don't know if i have to activate it and where.

Greetz,

Gekko

• 2 weeks later...
Hi every one, I got a Vaio VGN-N220E, and have almost my all hardware working properly, with some changes, I´ll put my hardware and if you need to know how tu ron some of then, I´ll answer you as soon I read it, so this is the hardware that I had to fix:

Yukon Ethernet Adaptor 88E8036: vendor ID: 11AB, Device ID: 4351

Atheros 5006 PCI Wireless: vendor ID: 168c, Device ID: 001c

Realtek HighDefinition ALC2: vendor ID:8086, device ID:27D8

Mousepad

Everything else worked fine from the instalation, it seems like its just a little what I have to fix, but believe me, it took me a lot to get everything to works, still the Sound it´s working just parcially only the speakers, but I`m still looking to make it works allrigth, hope I can help you with something, greetings.

Did you ever get the sound to work??

• 2 weeks later...

I've installed an OSX86 10.5.5 (iDeneb v1.3) on my SONY VAIO VGN-SZ28TP laptop for a couple of months, it works fine so far, for those components which are not work, I've been searching for any possibility to make them work, but failed. Now I try to recap the process of installation, write them done for reference!

nVidia Geforce Go7400 graphics is not work @ correct resolution on SONY VAIO so far, but I heard it works for external LCD, I didn't test them.

Intel GMA945 (Vendor ID: 8086/Device ID: 27A2)

Intel GMA945 graphics works by AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext 1.4.18 from Tiger or 1.4.20 from Leopard, both version did not support brightness control, however, you will get maximum LCD brightness on version 1.4.20, version 1.4.18 provids a dimmer LCD brightness. On my laptop, I can change the LCD birghtness when booted into Windows XP and keep the LCD brightness setting after rebooted into OSX. I bought DisplayConfigX to make it work a 1280x800.

The original AppleIntelGMA950.kext from iDeneb v1.3 is not work, I have to copy the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from older version.

SigmaTel HD Audio 7661 (Vendor ID: 8384/Device ID: 7661)

Use AppleHDAPatcher v1.20 to patch.

Drag SonyStac7661.txt into AppleHDPatcher install, I believe the key point is the code text file.

The Intel 3945ABG wireless driver for OSX86 is still under development, I already giveup to make it work, instead of, I bought a Broadcom 4311 802.11g mini PCI-E wireless module from Internet, it works a native Airport, perfect!

Marvell Yukon (Vendor ID: 11AB/Device ID: 4351)

Modify /System/Library/Extensions/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

find and modify the following paragraph:

Yukon-88E8053

IOPCIPrimaryMatch

0x436211AB --> 0x435111AB

PCMCIA Card (Vendor ID: 104C/Device ID: 8039 & 803B)

Use PCCard.10.5.2 beta 3 kext

Modify /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCCardFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOPCCardFamily by hexeditor,

find & modify string "4C103980" for the multiple card reader

I also have tried to install the Protector Suite fro UPEK, however, the software can not identified the fingerprint scanner, some people said it works on Dell XPS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
do you have QE/CI acceleration on the internal screen?

was thinking the same thing.

the linked instructions ended with the original author stating the internal display would (still) not work using QE/CI with the Go, just the Intel integrated graphics. i'm assuming the other person just installed it for the first time using those instructions, was using his in the default non-accelerated mode, and wasn't aware of the display problem before making the post.

• 2 months later...

hello guys,

new here... i've been reading this thread a lot.. im still new to osx86, im trying to get more information before i jump into the fray..from what i've read nvidia cards on sony vaio still dont work , are there any updates yet ? (10.5.6) ?

and whats the difference between hackintosh files (iPC, kalyway etc...) ? which one is better ? here's my specs by the way.. please help me identify which ones have pending issues (drivers , not working ..etc.. )

Model: Sony Vaio SZ58GN

Processor Name : Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7700(2.40 GHz)*1*2

Intel® Centrino® Duo Processor Technology

Chipset : Mobile Intel® GM965 Express Chipset

Graphics Accelerator : NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GS / Intel® GMA X3100

Network Connection : Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Audio " SigmaTel Audio

Hard Disk Drive : 160GB SATA

Network Connector : 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T x 1

Bluetooth : Bluetooth standard Ver. 2.0+EDR

PCI Cards / USB / Ethernet

thank you guys ...hope to contribute more in the future..

regards

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm just trying to keep this thread alive here for all of us who are still sweating over it. :D

Personally, I've got an SZ48GN and I am confident in saying that I've tried every possible FrameBuffer, Natit, GMA9** kext, and distro (recent ones, at least) just to get my graphics working, but every time I try to boot with the Intel 945 integrated graphics I either get the wretched colourful-lines-falling-down-the-screen (due to a backlighting/recognition problem, from what I gather?) or a blue screen (which I like to think brings me closer to success than the former scenario), IF I have any kexts installed relating to video.

BUT, I have narrowed it down to the FrameBuffer kext, as that seems to be the most problematic one. I have tried injecting (is that the term?) my own device ID into all the related kexts, but I still don't get my 1280x800 resolution OR QE/CI. I've been scratching my brains out, as there hasn't really been a single solid answer/tutorial/method of going about installing this for each model of VAIOs, and it's utterly frustrating when you follow the exact methods somebody else has, with no results of your own. I would be very thankful for anybody's insight on this matter.

Sound, ethernet, etc. work hunky dory after a few patches here and there; it only seems to be trouble with the graphics (thanks to all you lovely people here on this forum, and mass amounts of InsanelyMac Googling and bookmarking). However, I still don't have my webcam working (any info/links/tuts would be wonderful!).

As I type this, I am downloading iATKOS 4i for one last run at it, before I give what was meant to be a fun, summer project a rest. I look forward to your reply, and I wish the best of luck to all you, fellow VAIO lovers, especially the devs (3945abg wireless, why must you pain us so?).

Take care,

Snoopster J

Edit:

I've got QE/CI working, but for some reason I'm stuck at 1280x768 rather than the native 1280x800, with this ugly black bar at the bottom of my screen screaming to be used. Right now I'm back to the first distro I tried, Kalyway, and it seems like I'm going to stick with it, since it's the one that's caused me the least trouble. For those of you who don't know already (and hopefully it'll help), if you get the screen with colourful lines crawling down it, all you have to do is plug in a monitor via your VGA port. Then, after it's detected, you should have your monitor working, but your internal display will still be weird if yours is like mine (if both work, it most likely won't on reboot, so set everything up before then to save yourself some trouble!). If you're lucky, part of the startup window will be in focus, so drag that into plain view, and select System Preferences. If you're doubly lucky, the edge of this window will be in view as well. If not, then play the 'ol Blind-Dragging game - frustrating, but worth it. Check in your System Preferences > Display and you should be able to choose your desired resolution. However, when you unplug the monitor cable, it may revert back to the dreaded lines, so a quick fix is to download SwitchResX to cut off the monitor while it was plugged in. Then you should be able to remove the cable without any problems. Try rebooting without the cable, and it should keep its resolution.

Also, for those of you who want to know, I was using the 10.5.1 update's GMA950 and FrameBuffer kexts, as well as paulicat's Natit, but it seems to work with the Kalyway kexts as well. If you get the blue screen, it has something to do with a combination of the aforementioned three files (Natit especially): it's either missing or the Info.plist needs modification (device ID, etc.). SwitchResX wouldn't fix the resolution for me, so I'm going to try DisplayConfigX. If anybody can help me, I'm all ears! Good luck y'all!

Edit 2:

I've got it working! Turns out I had to use a combination of DisplayConfigX (for the resolution) and SwitchResX (to cut the umbilical-like tie my laptop has to the monitor!). I am one very happy camper, having tried for this past week for countless hours in vain to get this to work. Hope this helps someone! (I'd still like tips for webcam though! =D)