[Guide] The Fool-Proof Vista & XP / Mac OS X Dual-Boot Guide

370 posts in this topic

Thanks devil for your wonderful guide. I installed Mac OSX Jaz unpatched 10.4.6 last night. Installation was successful but after installation I got HFS+ Partition error.

I have dell e1505 Laptop:-

dual core 2 2Ghz

2Gig Ram

80Gb HDD

X1300 display card

Two partitions ( 1st vista primary parition and 2nd mac os primary partition with id af)

I copied chain0 to vista root folder c:/ and did bcdedit part....when I restarted my system I got nice boot loader with Windows vista and MAC OS X, my partition one is active and when I select MAC OS black screen comes and takes me back to bootloader screen where again I have option of choosing OS to boot from.Vista loads and work fine. any suggestions? :P:wallbash:

oh yeah.....if I make my second partition active I get this HFS+ Partition error, If I make my 1st partition active, I gives me boot screen to choose Vista or MAC OS but when I choose MAC OS, it takes me back to boot screen.....Then I booted my system with Mac DVD, at installation screen I opened Terminal and type this command:-

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plistit

gave me error sudo : bad command

My understanding is you have to do this from MAC OS only, since I cant load mac os maybe thats why this command not working.Is there anything else I can do?

I just fixed my HFS+ Partition error. Now I can finally boot into Mac OS and vista but when i boot my system from Mac os it hangs at grey screen with apple logo. There is no disk activity at all. I waited for about 20 minutes.

then I tried -v swtich at boot and last four lines are as follows:-

VID: family specific matching fails

AppleHDA.kext failed to load: unable to locate 'layout-id' property.

Language Chooser seems to have failed; defaulting to English

after that there is no activity of hard disk. It stays there...... :) any suggestions?

I just fixed my HFS+ Partition error. Now I can finally boot into Mac OS and vista but when i boot my system from Mac os it hangs at grey screen with apple logo. There is no disk activity at all. I waited for about 20 minutes.

then I tried -v swtich at boot and last four lines are as follows:-

AppleHDA.kext failed to load: unable to locate 'layout-id' property.

Language Chooser seems to have failed; defaulting to English

after that there is no activity of hard disk. It stays there...... :D any suggestions?

What's the point in asking for support for such an old version of OS X when 99% of the people here are using 10.4.9?

Download Uphuck's 10.4.9 and then you will be set. It has better support for different kinds of hardware due to more mature drivers and therefore works on a lot more machines :)

What's the point in asking for support for such an old version of OS X when 99% of the people here are using 10.4.9?

Download Uphuck's 10.4.9 and then you will be set. It has better support for different kinds of hardware due to more mature drivers and therefore works on a lot more machines ;)

Thanks for your reply, I am downloading 10.4.9 but there are only 2 peers online right now and I am only getting 31kbps download speed .....oh well one day hopefully it will get downloaded.

I have one more concern, the file I am downloading is in .cdr format, is it right?

torrent name of the file I am downloading is " uphuck_10_4_9_universal_x86_install_dvd_v1_3[www.btmon.com]"

I tried a patched 10.4.6 version and it worked finally, as all the other versions included Uphuck 10.4.9 didnt work.. followed this guide to proper setup of MBR and bootloaders

But I still have to push F8 and get to Darwin bootloader when using Vista bootloader, otherwhise it automatically disables Darwin and returns me to Vista bootloader screen..

so, when I boot up, I get vistas booloader right with this information

Windows Vista ™ Profesionall

OSX x86

then if I hit Windows Vista, it boots as normal, but if I hit OSX x86 and I wait it returns me to Vistas bootloader, but if I right after pushing OSX x86 hit F8 the darwin booloader comes up and shows me this:

Disk0s1 Windows NT

Disk0s2 OSX 10.4.6

and then if I hit OSX it starts up wonderfully..

is there a way for me to get a UBER bootloader which doesnt do any hazzle like vistas does?

WELCOME TO PASTORTOMS AWESOME BOOTLOADER:

1. Windows Vista

2. OSX 10.4.6

Choose your option and kick back relax while it boots up

and me without having to push F8 after choosing OSX, it would just bootup as with Darwin..

any ideas?

I tried a patched 10.4.6 version and it worked finally, as all the other versions included Uphuck 10.4.9 didnt work.. followed this guide to proper setup of MBR and bootloaders

But I still have to push F8 and get to Darwin bootloader when using Vista bootloader, otherwhise it automatically disables Darwin and returns me to Vista bootloader screen..

so, when I boot up, I get vistas booloader right with this information

Windows Vista ™ Profesionall

OSX x86

then if I hit Windows Vista, it boots as normal, but if I hit OSX x86 and I wait it returns me to Vistas bootloader, but if I right after pushing OSX x86 hit F8 the darwin booloader comes up and shows me this:

Disk0s1 Windows NT

Disk0s2 OSX 10.4.6

and then if I hit OSX it starts up wonderfully..

is there a way for me to get a UBER bootloader which doesnt do any hazzle like vistas does?

WELCOME TO PASTORTOMS AWESOME BOOTLOADER:

1. Windows Vista

2. OSX 10.4.6

Choose your option and kick back relax while it boots up

and me without having to push F8 after choosing OSX, it would just bootup as with Darwin..

any ideas?

The answer: use only Darwin's Boot Loader.

Also, you should download Uphuck's 10.4.9 and install that instead of the old and unsupported 10.4.6

Why oh why are people still using 10.4.6 when there have been so many advances with Hackintosh releases? crazy :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I followed the instructions step-by-step (Great job btw, very detailed).

I currently have Vista installed as my operating system, and I have a separate empty hard drive on which I installed OSX (or so I thought)

This installation went very smooth, and said the computer will restart in 30 seconds...So 30 seconds later the computer restarts, and to my suprise Vista starts up as if nothing had ever happened.

Now I have a problem with my monitor, wear it flickers during boot and while launching some 3d applications, and to fix it I have to turn the monitor off for about 15 seconds and then turn it back on, so I am not completely sure if the Darwin Boot Loader is loading Vista and not OSX, or if the Vista Boot Loader is loading Vista and not OSX, but I am pretty sure it is still the Vista Boot Loader.

I know OSX installed to the hard drive, but how do I get it to boot?

(I have BCDEdit and I can add the x86 OSX, but the hard drive to which its installed does not appear as an option for the boot path)

Thanks in advance

hi, i am using uphuck 1.4a on my amd dual core 4400+ processor, 2 gigs ram, 320 gig hdd.

My problem is that I have vista installed already, i made the partition from the unallocated space in diskpart. now i get into disk utility and i try to erase and it doesnt work. i tried booting in single user mode but the when it said writing changes to mbr or what an error just kept popping up. i dont remember exactly what the error message was but it just couldnt write to the mbr.

so i guess my question is how do i partition it to hfs+? is there a program that can do PARTITIONS in vista?

please help... thanks in advance.

hi, i am using uphuck 1.4a on my amd dual core 4400+ processor, 2 gigs ram, 320 gig hdd.

My problem is that I have vista installed already, i made the partition from the unallocated space in diskpart. now i get into disk utility and i try to erase and it doesnt work. i tried booting in single user mode but the when it said writing changes to mbr or what an error just kept popping up. i dont remember exactly what the error message was but it just couldnt write to the mbr.

so i guess my question is how do i partition it to hfs+? is there a program that can do PARTITIONS in vista?

please help... thanks in advance.

My guide already explains this, please read it more carefully.

EDIT: I have just added a small section that explains how to delete a partition so you can create a new one properly.

Ok so I followed the instructions step-by-step (Great job btw, very detailed).

I currently have Vista installed as my operating system, and I have a separate empty hard drive on which I installed OSX (or so I thought)

This installation went very smooth, and said the computer will restart in 30 seconds...So 30 seconds later the computer restarts, and to my suprise Vista starts up as if nothing had ever happened.

Now I have a problem with my monitor, wear it flickers during boot and while launching some 3d applications, and to fix it I have to turn the monitor off for about 15 seconds and then turn it back on, so I am not completely sure if the Darwin Boot Loader is loading Vista and not OSX, or if the Vista Boot Loader is loading Vista and not OSX, but I am pretty sure it is still the Vista Boot Loader.

I know OSX installed to the hard drive, but how do I get it to boot?

(I have BCDEdit and I can add the x86 OSX, but the hard drive to which its installed does not appear as an option for the boot path)

Thanks in advance

You do not need to select any hard disk to which it's installed. EasyBCD does all the work for you so long as you're using the latest version.

Why don't you try making the Mac partition as the active one via DISKPART and see if it boots then?

Funnily enough, the Mac should be appearing fine on your Vista Boot Loader as you have both OS' on seperate hard disks right? are they on the same SATA/ATA controller or two seperate ones? what motherboard are you using?

Your monitor problem sounds like a loose cable/old monitor or a graphics card related issue as something like this should be not be occuring.

Try a different monitor to see if the problem still occurs; if it does, try a different graphics card. Preferably use the DVI input if you aren't already.

You do not need to select any hard disk to which it's installed. EasyBCD does all the work for you so long as you're using the latest version.

Why don't you try making the Mac partition as the active one via DISKPART and see if it boots then?

Funnily enough, the Mac should be appearing fine on your Vista Boot Loader as you have both OS' on seperate hard disks right? are they on the same SATA/ATA controller or two seperate ones? what motherboard are you using?

Your monitor problem sounds like a loose cable/old monitor or a graphics card related issue as something like this should be not be occuring.

Try a different monitor to see if the problem still occurs; if it does, try a different graphics card. Preferably use the DVI input if you aren't already.

Ahhh I see. Worked perfectly once I just added it with EasyBCD.

Thanks!

Have a new problem that I need some help with..

OSX was running great, was having a lot of fun with it..But I restarted a few days ago, and when it tried to boot into OSX, it froze, with the message: Panic(cpu 0 caller 00x001A2732). The last line before it froze was: Darwin Kernel Version 8.9.1 netkas, semthex, oui:0.0/back to USSR_I386. I restarted a few more times, and got the same message...

Then I decided to just format the drive and reinstall OSX, so I did and the installation went smoothly - no problems...But when it tried to boot OSX I got the same message as before, even after a complete reinstallation.

What can I do to get it up and running again??

• 2 weeks later...
Have a new problem that I need some help with..

OSX was running great, was having a lot of fun with it..But I restarted a few days ago, and when it tried to boot into OSX, it froze, with the message: Panic(cpu 0 caller 00x001A2732). The last line before it froze was: Darwin Kernel Version 8.9.1 netkas, semthex, oui:0.0/back to USSR_I386. I restarted a few more times, and got the same message...

Then I decided to just format the drive and reinstall OSX, so I did and the installation went smoothly - no problems...But when it tried to boot OSX I got the same message as before, even after a complete reinstallation.

What can I do to get it up and running again??

Try replacing the kernel with a more recent release and deleting AppleIntelCPU*.kext to see if that fixes the problem.

What distribution of OS X are you installing? Uphuck's release? Make sure you know what kind of hardware you have so that you are properly able to setup your installation, e.g. CPU, Motherboard type and Graphics Card.

Usually bugs and crashes happen because people do not bother to thoroughly check hardware compatibility.

Dude,

your awesome I followed the guide and it worked great!

thanks

I was about to give up on vista/osx dual boot

you don't know the number of times I had reinstalled vista and osx trying to get them to dual boot.

Great guide!

worked easily and took no time at all.

keep up the great work!

you said that your guide is fool-proof

so now i don't know whether to smile or cry ..

I' ve followed all of your instructions,

as I did indeed for the boinkytwo's guide, but disk utility still does not recongnize my hd!!

any suggestions for what I should do?

this is my pc components list:

BOX 550W ATX CPU INTEL CD E6550 2.33 4MB SK775 RET DIMM KINGSTON 2X1GB PC667 DDR II DVD±RW PIONEER 112D IDE BLACK OEM HD W.DIGITAL WD1600JS 160GB 8MB SATA300 MB ASROCK 4COREDUAL SK775 VIA PT880ULTRA UB FDD 1.44 MB BLACK OEM VD NVIDIA GEFORCE 7300GT 256MB PCX

thanks very much

you said that your guide is fool-proof

so now i don't know whether to smile or cry ..

I' ve followed all of your instructions,

as I did indeed for the boinkytwo's guide, but disk utility still does not recongnize my hd!!

any suggestions for what I should do?

this is my pc components list:

BOX 550W ATX CPU INTEL CD E6550 2.33 4MB SK775 RET DIMM KINGSTON 2X1GB PC667 DDR II DVD±RW PIONEER 112D IDE BLACK OEM HD W.DIGITAL WD1600JS 160GB 8MB SATA300 MB ASROCK 4COREDUAL SK775 VIA PT880ULTRA UB FDD 1.44 MB BLACK OEM VD NVIDIA GEFORCE 7300GT 256MB PCX

thanks very much

Your Disk Utility problem is due to incompatible hardware and/or you are not using the correct Mac OS X install disc. Make sure you are using the very latest Uphuck disc.

Your problem is not related in any way to the process described in my guide, and it is frustrating when people confuse the purpose of this guide and turn it into a thread for troubleshooting their own hardware compatibility issues. My method for dual-booting works and I have thoroughly tried and tested everything on my own systems.

Please use the search feature and find out if other people are using the same motherboard as you, it's as simple as that really :censored2:

I really need help with this.. I have a toshiba that was vista upgrade compatible. i upgraded and everything worked fine. i installed os x and restarted and it comes up to the darwin bootloader, but if i click vista it does that thing where the file is corrupted. i put in my vista disk but it doesnt work or boot up from it...im guessing it is because it is a "toshiba upgrade disc" any suggestions on what to do?

I really need help with this.. I have a toshiba that was vista upgrade compatible. i upgraded and everything worked fine. i installed os x and restarted and it comes up to the darwin bootloader, but if i click vista it does that thing where the file is corrupted. i put in my vista disk but it doesnt work or boot up from it...im guessing it is because it is a "toshiba upgrade disc" any suggestions on what to do?

Have you tried phoning Toshiba technical support and asking if it is possible for them to send you a bootable Vista install disc?

If they can't do this, I'd recommend downloading a copy of Windows Vista via torrent for the purpose of repairing the "\Windows\System32\winload" error.

Just letting everyone know that as of the latest Uphuck release and EasyBCD v1.7, I was able to dual-boot successfully AND retain Vista's Boot Loader to boot both OS' perfectly :wacko:

I have managed to test this on two systems so far.

wonderful guide devilhood! but pls. help me with some of my problems. i have installed vista in an ATA-drive. then i followed ur guide but using my SATA-drive (creating partition with id=af and setting it as active). after successfully installing os x to the SATA, i rebooted my pc but both my vista & os x cannot be found. using the os x installation disc, i rebooted to the single user mode. following ur guide again, but instead of "/dev/rdisk0", i used "/dev/rdisk2" because rdisk0 is where i installed vista, then i have another ATA-drive which is the rdisk1, and the SATA-drive where i installe os x is rdisk2. but still, no OS has been found. i got the os x (SATA-drive) boot by unplugging both my ATA-drives. pls. advise.

another thing, i know u find it ridiculous but i just finished downloading the 10.4.6 version & it really took me one full-week (continuos) to complete the download. is there just a patch to update my os x 10.4.6 to 10.4.10? :D