[Guide] The Fool-Proof Vista & XP / Mac OS X Dual-Boot Guide

370 posts in this topic

Quit Disk Utility and continue installing Mac OS X; remember to select 'customize' and specify which components you require for your system.

Once installed, load up Disk Utility again and repair permissions

what does the bolded part mean and how do you do it? I figure it prob means while in mac os load up disk util and repair permissions?

I am doing this now and at the part to install the os

nvm figured it out just load it the same way as if your going to reinstall..

but im getting still waiting for root device after install... using new leov3, kalyway never did it though :D trying to repair now hopefully that fixes it...

Im having suck a hard problem... Its not working for me... i did the HFS+

&& everything.... but it just restarts... =/

shows some error about

syncing disks....killing all processs

continuning

done..

then restarts?

so confused...

I used tiger JAS 10.4.7 before flawless..

& BDW im using Leo4All v3... =/

HELP?

I did all the necssary drivers & all buh so confused not even the vanilla is showing..

HELP ME PLEASE =(

& im installing this on a laptop

TOSHIBA TECRA S3

2.14 GHZ

NVIDIA

:(

Thanks for the great guide it certainly did the trick for me. I successfully created a dual-boot Server 2008 and OS X configuration using separate drives for each OS. The question I have is, is it ok to let Apple Update update OS X and the other modules or will it render my my machine unusable?

By the way, DISKPART on Server 2008 does not allow the TYPE parameter. I created the partition just specifying the size and all worked well. One other clarification, when using EasyBCD, make sure you chose the "Plain x86" option for the Mac OS. It seems to eliminate the need to copying the boot.efi (Chain0) file. It is truly magic.

Thanks again for the hard work on the Guide!

Thanks for the great guide. One question, I have Darwin controlling the boot sequence, but would you happen to know the correct way of going about uninstalling leopard and having just vista on my system? Just don't want to delete the partition and have the Bootloader no longer work. Thanks for the help.

One question... is there a way to set up the default partition in Darwin Bootloader?

right now I'm using XP's bootloader with CHAIN0, but when I select Mac OS X it takes to the Darwin Bootloader that, by default, has XP partition as the Default one

Thanks!

What settings do you choose for the mac os install?

Have a core2duo system, and using Kalway 10.5.1, I use EFI/Vanilla and GUID type partition, which works for a single OS install but not for dualboot keep getting the HFS+ Partition error, tried all the fixes mentioned in the guide but no luck..

hi i had followed your instruction active the partition harddisk, however upon screen where u can chose where to install to , the partition wasn't there and not i couldn't boot into windows , missing operating system would appear . Using T61p . thanks !

the kalyway make bootable hd disc, i was wondering if that should be installed after creating the hfs+ partition in windows.

like install the make bootable disc on the hfs+ partition and then install the osx cd

please if can be answered quick because im sittin at the make bootable screen waiting to take the next step

thanks

ok scratch that last one, i have the dual boot up, im at the part where i set the mac partition as the active partition. When i try to boot, the boot process freezes when it assigns the airport an ethernet address. it freezes at the same spot when i try to boot from the osx cd. single user mode should still work but i have no idea what to do with it

-F brings up the grey load screen but gets the dark gray screen over to restart,

-x freezes at different lines every time

I decided to scrap my old installation and start from scratch with Kalyway, since iATKOS v1.0ir2 wasn't doing jack for me.

So, I also decide to try it on a new partition on the same drive that Vista is stored on. So I've installed it, but I got the HFS partition error. "Whoopeeee!" I shout, because this is as close as I've ever gotten to actually getting into Mac OS X. I do the single user commands, which (as expected) corrupted winload.exe. That's fine, and normal. I'm finally getting the Darwin boot screen, so this is going better than I expected. Except for one thing:

I can't get into OS X. When I select OS X at the Darwin boot screen, it gives me the gray Apple logo for a little while with the little loading spinner, and then... blank. Just a black screen with no prompt, no text, no display, no nothing.

I'll go back into installation and futz around with disk utility. Maybe I forgot to repair my permissions, as I was half-asleep when making this installation.

All right, thanks for your help.

-Cadillac

Okay, you can disregard just about everything I wrote before.

After my last post, I repaired the permissions and tried to boot into OS X. Surprise! It didn't work.

Then, I tried to boot in safe mode. THIS time it worked! Hoorah! Since all safe mode is is a normal startup ignoring the driver files, this suggests a driver problem. How do I uninstall drivers? Should I do it from the Kalyway DVD or from Mac in safe mode?

AWESOME guide, by the way. It helped me a lot- I tried several other guides, but they didn't work. iATKOS doesn't work as well as Kalyway, and all the other guides I saw were for iATKOS. This one actually got my computer going! AWESOME!

One question... is there a way to set up the default partition in Darwin Bootloader?

right now I'm using XP's bootloader with CHAIN0, but when I select Mac OS X it takes to the Darwin Bootloader that, by default, has XP partition as the Default one

Thanks!

Great guide. I ended up getting Leo4all running on the first attempt following your instructions.

I have the exact same question as estebanrao. I tried using Darwin for everything, but found out that I needed the windows partition to be active to get Fusion to load my existing XP partition, and now I have to select OS X two times everytime I reboot my machine (annoying).

I am sure I will figure it out, but if you have any thoughts I would really like the help.

Thank you!

EDIT:

After researching since I posted this and attempting to get the Darwin bootloader to default to the second partition, I have decided that it isn't possible without switching to a different bootloader (GRUB or Acronis).

Mines the same as yours Dripdown only Vista bootloader first which if I choose Vista boots Vista, but if I choose OSX, I get Darwins bootloader with 3 options

1) Vista (default which returns me to vista's bootloader)

2) OSX (I have to arrow down to this, but OSX boots fine if i do)

3) my DATA partition (not actually bootable)

I've tried editing the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist file with

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>rd=diskXsY</string>

with the appropriate X & Y values for the OSX partition (checked them in OSX using Disk Util but forget my values atm as Im using Vista right now) but it wouldn't default to that partition or (again I forget as it was last week) OSX wouldn't load with HFS error or similar.

are those Kernal Flags entries in Boot.plists still applicable in 10.5.2 as Im loathe to drop the Vista bootloader as I have reasons for keeping it.

btw this is the Wiki i used to glean the boot.plist options