[Guide] The Fool-Proof Vista & XP / Mac OS X Dual-Boot Guide

370 posts in this topic

Okay, you can disregard just about everything I wrote before.

After my last post, I repaired the permissions and tried to boot into OS X. Surprise! It didn't work.

Then, I tried to boot in safe mode. THIS time it worked! Hoorah! Since all safe mode is is a normal startup ignoring the driver files, this suggests a driver problem. How do I uninstall drivers? Should I do it from the Kalyway DVD or from Mac in safe mode?

I had the exact same thing happen... the grey apple screen came up, and then it went blank. I think it was a problem with selecting a video driver (in my case, nvinject 320mb) off the Kalyway disk when I did the initial install. I did a little research and downloaded the latest nvinject installer, which I installed from safe mode, and it worked. I have an 8800GTS 320mb (G80).

Hey, I have no problems in the bootloader but I have problems when it boots 10.5.1(the Apple appears) from HDD, halfway I have a grey background screen calling me to restart! Many times, don't succeed into Leopard!

I use the diagnostic -v to see what's going on, it stucks in this line:

NTFSdriver 2.0 [Flags:R/0]

What's going on?

“If you want to create a time-out that will allow you to select which OS to boot from without pressing F8, follow these instructions:

Firstly, load up Terminal (Applications/Utilities/) from within OS X, then type:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

edit the Darwin time-out flag accordingly:

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>8</string>

Press CTRL+O and then Enter to save the file, after which you can safely close the session by pressing CTRL+X.”

Sorry, but this ins't working for me. Do you have any other ways of listing all the OS'es in Darwin?

• 3 weeks later...

i'll try this, cuz i have HFS+ error when i install mac os x, i think that's because i losed 2 partitions and i wrote them back, and after that error started to show up, and ill see...Ill post to tell if that worked, thx :)

I haven't read every post but I keep getting an "still waiting on root device" error, over and over again. Is this because Im using an SATA DVD Drive? Should I obtain an IDE DVD drive? Im trying to install Kalyway 10.5.2 on a computer with an ASUS p5n32-e sli mobo, SATA HD, SATA DVD drive, QX6700, and 8800 GTX. Thks in advance for any help.

Great Guide (its soo simple for newbs like me -_- )

Ok, here is my problem. I am probably missing something simple...but what?

Vista installed on C:\. Shrunk 35GB for OSX also on C:\

Used DISKPART as guide suggested - successfully making new partiton 'active' (so it said)

turned UAC off as guide suggested

rebooted with iATKOS v1.0 R3 DVD

erased new partiton

installed OSX on new partition

computer automatically rebooted (removed install DVD)

came to error "Missing Operating System"

Halt

Only eway to get back into Vista is put DVD back in, -s at prompt then fdisk to flag Vista partition.

What am I doing wrong here? I re-tried flagging OSX partition from Vista but came up with same results....Either install failed or I am missing something.

I should also mention I get no Darwin Boot Loader. Goes straight to Missing Operating System.

I will try installing on seperate drive tonight to see if that works...

Please advise. Thank you!

EDIT:

Wiped out Vista to try and standalone install with Kalyaway 10.5.2. After a few tries and getting the gray mac logo and restart dialogue I figured it out!

If you're getting the grey mac logo with a screen telling you to restart boot back into the installer, Disk Utilities, Repair Permissions.

Reboot. If you're still getting a blank or blue screen its likely a video card issue. put the dvd back in boot -s (single user)

mount -uw /

/movevideodrivers

yes

yes

yes

reboot

all should be well :)

I have no doubt the dual method would work now. Just had to make sure Vista was not the cause of my headaches....Thanks again for the guide! Now to get the radeon 9800 pro working...:P

I followed your guide exactly, but when I pop in the disk darwin loads and all I get is a white screen with the gray apple logo. It just hangs there. Any ideas? I'm using iAtkos latest release. I might try kalyway later today.

I followed your guide exactly, but when I pop in the disk darwin loads and all I get is a white screen with the gray apple logo. It just hangs there. Any ideas? I'm using iAtkos latest release. I might try kalyway later today.

did you go back into disk utility and "repair disk permissions" on the partiton/ drive you created for OSX?

I was experiencing similar issues...try this, could be video card related.

put in dvd, boot -s (single user)

mount -uw /

/movevideodrivers

yes

yes

yes

reboot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, i've installed OS X but now windows says it needs repairing which when i try to do it fails and OS X is stuck on the spinning wheel loading screen.

Any Help?

EDIT: OK i've repaired disc permissions and now its telling me to restart all the time.

EDIT again: Now its playing i like to party while its froze on the loading screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't make my mistakes...

Just wanted to say that after upgrading my installed version of Mac OS X to iatkos 4i 10.5.4 I ran into start up errors with Vista boot manager. I checked the InsanelyMac forums and located this great Fool Proof Dual Boot Guide. I followed the instructions which helped me fix all my issues.

After I made sure I could successfully restart both Vista and Mac from the Vista boot menu, I screwed myself by editing my Vista startup menu again. (I wanted to clean it up and get rid of my prior non-functioning entries.) Thought others might be able to benefit from my mistakes so here is a little guidance if you find yourself with boot errors again.

Editing the start up menu using EasyBCD can create an unexpected problem when deleting and adding entries in the "Add/Remove Entries" screen. Just make sure when you finish your changes to save them using the Save button in the Manage Entries box (it is in the upper half of the screen,) then exit EasyBCD. Before rebooting your computer, check your C:/NTS directory to make sure it isn't empty. If it is, start up Easy BCD again, then:

1. enter the "Add/Remove Entries" screen,

2. in the Manage Entries box, delete the entry you had previously created for Mac OS X, then make sure to press the Save button

3. now create a new entry for Mac OS X using the "Add an Entry" box,

3a. first press the Mac OS tab, then

3b. in the "Type:" field pick generic OS 86 hardware,

3c. if you want, edit the default name, then

4. press "Save" button in the Manage Entries box, and close the window.

Quit EasyBCD again and go check that directory "C:/NTS" to make sure it now has a file in it named "nst_mac.mbr" and you are good to go.

I think what is happening is EasyBCD will always clear any files out of that NST directory whenever you delete a Mac OS menu entry and then save your changes. Even if you create a new entry and delete the old one without pressing save in between, the .mbr file will still get deleted by EasyBCD when you eventually press the save button to record your changes. The way I found around it was to only create a new entry after the last save button was pressed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry if it been answer. Can you help me? I'm computer-stupid person. Thanks for making the super noob tutorial!

Can you tell me how to do it with two hard drives? I already install windows vista ultimate.

Also I have three hard drives.

Hdd 1- vista

Hdd 2- shared.full of junks

Hdd 3- 100% empty

Please reply!! I'll give you another extra five stars!

thanks. :(

i have been having a couple of issues with mine nd i followed your tutorial...

i get this "no bootable partitions"... and then i do a restor with F8 and then i try and i type in the string and it still says the message. then when i stick in the vista disk.. i 'repair' it and then it takes away the osx installation...

is there anything i can do?

didnt think so lol

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have been searching for quite some time now for a dual boot guide... and yours is by far the easiest to understand. I have my vista/leopard set up and working perfectly. I do have a minor set back which I am hoping you can help me with. The internet will not work. I have been searching and searching for a guide on how to make my Ralink Wireless Card work... but I cannot find it. If you could please give me instructions on how to do so, or another cheap easy solution for wireless internet please inform me. Thanks a ton!

hey i just installed vista and leopard on my hard drive in that order i used iaktos v4i and the disk that came with my computer. But know im having trouble figuring out how to boot in leopard... ihave easybcd... i tried to make a mac osx option on start up and that worked it shows vista then right below it mac osx but i don't think i have that linked to the right thing because when i select mac osx it just says operation system missing or something along those lines.... im kinda stuck and could use some help!!!

also i don't know which drivers to install... so i mgiht have messed that up i couldn't get the ethernet to work so i put the disk in AGAIN and reinstalled leopard after erasing that partition... but i don't know how to get into osx now so pleease help!!!

There is a way to use you guide but for GUID dual booting partition on the same HD ? :)

Because, I finally got my m1530 to work with your guide but I wish to install EFI V8 but EFI installation require a Guid Partition.

Thanks in advance and thanks for your great Guide !

Regards,

• 1 month later...