[Guide] The Fool-Proof Vista & XP / Mac OS X Dual-Boot Guide

370 posts in this topic

How about this scenario. I have two physical disks, one is a perfectly working 10.5.2 Kalyway setup and one is a fully configured and working Ubuntu setup. Currently I literally shut down the pc and switch sata/power from one drive to the other to "dual boot." I know there's a way to do it using grub but I'm not a grub expert by any means so what's the best way to get these two physical disks connected to my SATA bus and able to be switched via software/bootloader?

ok, ive installed os x and darwin is working perfectly with the dual boot. however, when i try to boot into os x, it comes up with the white screen with the apple in the center and then goes gray and says "you need to restart your computer. hold down the power...." i dont know if this is due to install options i selected prior to install or what. i have a p4 2.4ghz so i selected sse2/sse3. was this correct?

thanks for the help in advance and keep up the good work!

• 3 weeks later...

I've installed Vista (first) and OSx86 (ToH patched version) on my Vaio notebook. I'm using Easy BCD to dual boot. Vista boots normally but when I try to boot into OSx I get a boot chain error message. I did copy the CHAIN0 file to c:\NST and even tried to rename it to \nst_mac.mbr, but still get a boot chain error message. Partitions on disk 0 are:

Partition 1 OEM 1500MB, Partition 2 Primary 126GB (Vista partition), Partition 3 Primary 20GB (MAC OSx 10.5.1), Partition 0 Extended 38GB, Partirion 4 Logical 38GB. Settings on Easy BCD are as follows:

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader

Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.

Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista

Entry #1

Name: Microsoft Windows Vista

BCD ID: {current}

Drive: C:\

Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Windows Directory: \Windows Entry #2

Name: NST Mac OS X

BCD ID: {fab473a9-feba-11dc-81b2-0013a9f8c5df}

Bootloader Path: \NST\nst_mac.mbr

I must be very close but am missing a small detail. Please help.

dont believe anything here, i have tryed all 3 methods on this site and none work!!

Ok. I just used the information in this tutorial to get dual-booting working ***FLAWLESSLY***. So... perhaps like everything in the hackintosh world, YMMV. ;-)

Devil - quick question (because this was my first time... lol) -- you said "No fancy graphics like Vista's method, but hell, it works perfectly :) "

What do you mean by fancy graphics? I get a black and white screen with Vista and Mac - highlight the one you want ... is this the "fancy graphics"?

-Daniel

PS. I installed Leopard on the first partition, Gparted the second partition with NTFS - set the "boot" flag on the new partition - removed the boot flag from the OsX partion - installed vista... and then EasyBCD... perfect so far. Just thought you should know.... that method seems to work as well... ;-)

Ok. I just used the information in this tutorial to get dual-booting working ***FLAWLESSLY***. So... perhaps like everything in the hackintosh world, YMMV. ;-)

YMMV? Whats this?

well is must be something to do with the person writing the guide not having much knowledge or something,

OR

maybe they cant read, as i said i have posted repeatedly in these threads, ive read everything i can find about doing this and when i post questions they just get ignored.

I have a powerful system, and none of my parts are in any compatability list people are just ignorant :) . Do you think i need to go buy a {censored} system with old parts to get OSX working?

I think my problem is nVidia raid drivers, but there are people on this forum who have exactly the same setup as me and have it working, it is the guides that are wrong.

MAC's are {censored} so also it is evident that no-one has the intelegence to help me get it working.

So now i have started hacking MAC's to expose how terrible they actually are.

Little piece of fun - Did you know there was a hacking contest at the CanSecWest security conference, OSX lasted 2 MINUTES :) - WELL DONE APPLE!!!

I mean really - who the hell wants an OS that can be destroyed in 2 mins!!!

Also Check the link

this what happen when i try to install with kalyway:

Install Failed

mac osx could not be installed on youre computer

the installer could not install the software because there was no software found to install.

he tell that when he does the disk check at 20% and even if i press skip its the same....

please help me...

thanks.

I've installed Vista (first) and OSx86 (ToH patched version) on my Vaio notebook. I'm using Easy BCD to dual boot. Vista boots normally but when I try to boot into OSx I get a boot chain error message. I did copy the CHAIN0 file to c:\NST and even tried to rename it to \nst_mac.mbr, but still get a boot chain error message. Partitions on disk 0 are:

Partition 1 OEM 1500MB, Partition 2 Primary 126GB (Vista partition), Partition 3 Primary 20GB (MAC OSx 10.5.1), Partition 0 Extended 38GB, Partirion 4 Logical 38GB. Settings on Easy BCD are as follows:

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader

Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.

Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista

Entry #1

Name: Microsoft Windows Vista

BCD ID: {current}

Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Windows Directory: \Windows Entry #2

Name: NST Mac OS X

BCD ID: {fab473a9-feba-11dc-81b2-0013a9f8c5df}

Bootloader Path: \NST\nst_mac.mbr

I must be very close but am missing a small detail. Please help.

Don't give up. I struggled with the dual booting issue as well when I was 10.4.8 and it took me an hour or two to get it sorted.

After you put chain0 in your C:\ directory, you need to edit your Vista bootloader. I don't remember the specific commands off of the top of my head, but I added the OS X partition manually to the Vista bootloader via the command line.

After I did his, I thought it didn't work. Everytime I would select OSX from the bootloader, it would seemingly reload the Vista bootloader. This is because Darwin, by default, boots the active partition. Therefore, when you selet OSX from the bootloader, it loads Darwin, which then loads the Vista bootloader again, all in a split second. So to work around this I had to manually edit my Darwin boot information to have a ~5 second delay, so that I have the chance to select the OSX partition.

Hope that helped somewhat. I'm not sure if you're experiencing the same problem as I am. Good luck.

BTW which distrubution you are installing and what Vaio model do you have ?

Well, I checked all pages, and couldn't really find an answer to this, so here is my problem.

I burned an ISO file to DVD so that I can boot it up, but as soon as the DVD boots, and I try to install OSX, I instantly get an error message, saying that "System config file '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found" and the installation halts at this point.

I have tried four different ISO's, all burned at the slowest setting my DVD burner could go to (2x), all with the same result.

I m running an HP dv9315, with 2GB RAM, two independent 160 GB hard drives, and an AMD Turion 64x2 processor (1.6 GHz, I believe).

Thanks for the great guide devilhood. Can we by any chance have this pinned or somthing like that.

hi ive trried installing both tiger and leopard on my toshiba a100-027 many times usiung different ones kalyway,jah,uphuck and all seem to be doing different but in the end i get to just a plain blue screen with nothing else no spinning circle can you help please.

Hello Guys

I Have a Dell Inspiron 1420 but i bought it in Guatemala.

The first problem that i found is (and i need to fix it) the Wireless card.

is a Dell Mini PCI WLAN 1395 and the Video Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset.

How can i install it, or if ther is an version great for my laptop.

Thanks a lot Guys...

>Once it has finished loading and displays the first prompt after language select, click to the menu bar at the very top and load >Disk Utility.

>A list of disks should appear on the Left, using your Mouse, right click on the newly created Mac partition, click on Erase, this >will allow the Mac to prepare the File System for OS X installation.

>Quit Disk Utility and continue installing Mac OS X; remember to select 'customize' and specify which components you require >for your system.

>Once installed, load up Disk Utility again and repair permissions.

I did up to this point and I got this where it froze:

NTFS driver 2.0 [flags:R/O]

NTFS VolumeName , Version 3.1

localhost mDNS Responder [42]: couldn't read user specified computername; using default bmacintosh -0000000000b

localhost mDNS Responder [42]: couldn't read local hostname

blah blah SetDomainSecrets: mDNS keychaingetSecrets failed error 0 CFArrayRef 000000000

HELP please!

And then I try to repair windows Vista and it does not see any windows disks

I get the same thing as you. Its a bit of a pain. But if I work out a way of getting round that I will tell. Maybe you should try it a few more times. I think a while back I was able to get the vista disk to recognise the vista install - I remember it not working once then I tryed it again and it worked fine.

To get Vista back I rebooted using Kalyway and used disk part to set the vista partition active. Then rebooted using Vista dvd and repaired the install vista back to normal but my f'in OS X still does not work. Can anyone give me a step by step to get a dual boot Vista / OS x on a dg33tl mobo to work? I am told to use Kalyway 10.5.1 with one sata dvd, one sata hdd in ahci mode and all should be fine. No luck tho.

hi

installed the leopard, load but the pc keeps turning off, I can't even finishing the registration page

I was able to register. Leopard working, but some times it just turn off by it self. Any ideas why?

Also how do I install newer drivers?

thanks

Hi,

My problem is i can only boot MAC OS X by leaving my mac os dvd in the drive!!

i've made my boot partition active only to get my vist/xp boot menu up

when i left it as MAC partition i could only boot by leaving the MAC BOOT DVD in drive?

otherwise it would say boot error or ntlr not found

any help would be appriciated :(

Hi,

Quick question,

after creating a new partition with id=af, it doesnt have a "drive letter".

how can i access that partition from XP? will it get a letter after the installation of the OSx?

thanks !

you cannot access a osx partition from windows...

on the guide what does this mean

Quit Disk Utility and continue installing Mac OS X; remember to select 'customize' and specify which components you require for your system.

Once installed, load up Disk Utility again and repair permissions.

How do i go about doing that part? I have tried dual booting myself but had bad results... Do you think this guide would work better

http://osx86leo4all.wikidot.com/how-to-s its at the bottom