[Guide] The Fool-Proof Vista & XP / Mac OS X Dual-Boot Guide

370 posts in this topic

Hi,

first, thank you for this great tutorial... really easy to understand..

My question,

I m stuck at the end, well i tried to boot OS X via Darwinbootloader, it works great !

But next i tried to boot my Vista partition, and it says that it s borken (i followed everything you said).. so i repair it and set it active via the Vista DVD.. but i doesn t change anything ... so what can i do ?

thx very much for your help

Guillaume.

MAJ :

Well i finally make Vista worked again, but OS X doesn t boot anymore, i've got the HFS partition error...

i tried what you said :

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

Specifies the disc that you have Vista and OS X installed to

The specified location rdisk0 may of course be different if Vista or OS X was installed on a different drive

flag 2

Marks OS X as the active partition (or if you installed OS X 1st and Vista 2nd, change the flag to 1)

update

Update machine code in loaded MBR

write

Write loaded MBR to disk

quit

This will quit fdisk and take you back to the normal single user prompt

reboot

Your machine will restart and boot OS X as normal

But it still samething

(i ve got 3 partition, first is Vista, second Data and third OS X.. so i flaged the 3rd to boot OS X, doesn t work...)

You have to do the same to the OS X partition to fix the HFS+ Partition error.

So you would do it in this order,

Fix HFS+ Error first:

Boot in single user with OS X disc in the drive,

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 3 (OS X)

update

write

quit

reboot

Check to see if OS X is fine by letting it load, then:

Boot in single user again,

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1 (Vista)

quit

reboot

Vista will report that there is an error blah blah, put the Vista disc in, repair and restart, Vista will load fine.

Then just use DISKPART to make OS X active again.

Thx for your answer, but it doesn t work when i try to fix the HFS error... it still present... and i tired 5 times without succes... :/

any clue ?

thx

UPDATE : The HFS error occured after i repaired Vista (before OS X was working great)

Really? the Vista repair shouldn't touch the part of the MBR that the Mac uses.

I've successfully installed and dual-booted via this method for 4 machines and never had a problem with a re-occuring HFS+ error.

Perhaps it is because you have three partitions on one drive, with the first and third being OS', but I am unsure how this would change the result.

I suppose you could always try using two partitions as a test, to see if that works, that's if you don't mind backing up all the data on your data drive!

Edited by devilhood

Heya devil,

Thanks for the clarification on that bcedit entry. It looked a bit confusing because you had {current} in the first part, but below that, when you used the {brackets}, it signified inserting something specific to my machine, so it seemed I was supposed to insert something specifc where {current} was also.

Actually, what took care of it was, I disabled UAC, then rebooted, then the bcedit command worked right away. I originally disabled UAC, but somehow I accidentally enabled it again before doing this step. Vista keeps telling you that it's off and to re-enable it (dang stupid warining balloons !@#$%!)

Thanks again!

So you think maybe i should install again (it only take 20mn so...)

Yeah give it a go, I think there might be some kind of confusion going on with the MBR, so you could first try having Vista on 1st Partition, OS X on 2nd, and Data on 3rd.

If that doesn't work, try just having 2 partitions and that's it.

Also, before doing that, run DISKPART on WinXP, 'select disk 1' and then 'select partition 1' and then type 'detail partition' on all of your partitions, see if you do not have multiple partitions set to active, because this could be (possibly) the cause of your MBR getting messed up after re-writing it using fdisk.

Edited by devilhood

So i reinstalled OS X...

This is What i did for right now :

1/ Under Vista, set Active on the OS X partition (before install)

2/ Installing OS X

3/ OS X work with DarwinBootLoader

4/ Vista not.. so i flag the Vista partition (using Safe Mode)

5/ I boot from Vista DVD to repair

6/ I flag back OS X using safe Mode (is it useful ? i don t know, i thought yes cause dawin is the bootloader...)

7/ I try to boot the Vista partition, still broken... :/

8/ OS X still working

So should have done wrong things above, tell me in order what i have to do to have DarwinBootLoader booting both OS X and Vista (and make Vista work again)

Thanks so much for your help

MAJ :

I repaired Vista, and now it boot straight... (without Darwin Boot Loader)

So to get back the DarwinBoot Loader i set my OS X partition as Active with Diskpart under Vista

I restart my computer, DarwinButLoader appear, i try to choose OS X and i get the HFS+ Error !!!

so i follow your tutorial with these command :

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

Specifies the disc that you have Vista and OS X installed to

The specified location rdisk0 may of course be different if Vista or OS X was installed on a different drive

flag 2

Marks OS X as the active partition (or if you installed OS X 1st and Vista 2nd, change the flag to 1)

update

Update machine code in loaded MBR

write

Write loaded MBR to disk

quit

This will quit fdisk and take you back to the normal single user prompt

reboot

Your machine will restart and boot OS X as normal

BUT it doesn t work, HFS+Error still here...

What did i miss ???

I m pretty sure it s when i set back OS X partition active under Vista via Diskpart after i repaired Vista the first time

any clue?

(ps : I checked what you said about multiple active partition under Diskpart, only one is active, the one i choose)

Edited by differenthink

Hey man,

I see you have also a guide. Thanks for the effort mate. I've tried installing OSX multiple times without luck (got stuck at the blue screen with cursor). I went with the Acronis boot selector all the time but after the OSX installation it couldn't boot to XP anymore. I used Ubuntu CD to set the XP partition bootable again but I don't feel like going through that hastle again.

Anyway, before I go ahead and try your guide I would like to ask if you know the way to go if you have a Core Duo T2250 1,7Ghz and a Mobility Radeon X1600? Im trying all this on a Acer Aspire 5672AWLMi with XP already installed and about 10 GB unallocated disk space). Should I disable a core in the BIOS? If so, how? And for the customize screen, should I choose ONLY SSE3 and ATI Mobility Radeon support?

I have the OSX 10.4.6JAS (if I remember correctly).

RESUME

I can have Vista working when i repair it, no problem, the problem is OS X

i tried three differents things after i repared Vista :

1/ Boot Vista, set OS X partition Active

I ve got HFS+Error

2/ Boot Vista, set OS X partition Active and Flag OS X partition (in Safe User mode)

I ve got HF+ Error

3/ Boot Vista, Only Flag OS X partition using Safe User Mode

I ve got HFS+ Error

I tried to repair this error like i said above, but it fail anyway...

Hey man,

I see you have also a guide. Thanks for the effort mate. I've tried installing OSX multiple times without luck (got stuck at the blue screen with cursor). I went with the Acronis boot selector all the time but after the OSX installation it couldn't boot to XP anymore. I used Ubuntu CD to set the XP partition bootable again but I don't feel like going through that hastle again.

Anyway, before I go ahead and try your guide I would like to ask if you know the way to go if you have a Core Duo T2250 1,7Ghz and a Mobility Radeon X1600? Im trying all this on a Acer Aspire 5672AWLMi with XP already installed and about 10 GB unallocated disk space). Should I disable a core in the BIOS? If so, how? And for the customize screen, should I choose ONLY SSE3 and ATI Mobility Radeon support?

I have the OSX 10.4.6JAS (if I remember correctly).

Yes, SSE3 and ATI Mobility I believe is correct.

Even though your laptop is an Acer, read through my Dell Inspiron guide on how to disable a core using the boot plist instead of BIOS: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=15474

However, I do recommend using 10.4.8 instead of 10.4.6.

RESUME

I can have Vista working when i repair it, no problem, the problem is OS X

i tried three differents things after i repared Vista :

1/ Boot Vista, set OS X partition Active

I ve got HFS+Error

2/ Boot Vista, set OS X partition Active and Flag OS X partition (in Safe User mode)

I ve got HF+ Error

3/ Boot Vista, Only Flag OS X partition using Safe User Mode

I ve got HFS+ Error

I tried to repair this error like i said above, but it fail anyway...

Very weird, did you try scrapping your 3rd partition and trying it with just 2?

Edited by devilhood

Not yet... i ve to find a way to backup my Data !!

I was wondering, after you install OS X, you get the Darwin boot loader, which boot OS X and Vista.. at this point i need to repair vista, so i ve to insert the DVD, make the vista partition active again (via Diskpart), reboot and reinsert the Vista DVD to repair the partition...(two times, because the first time Vista don t see the partition for repairing it, it s why i need to active it first vi Diskpart)

so after this is done, i don t see anymore DarwinBootLoader... to get back with DarwinBootLoader, do i ve to active form Vista the OS X partition with diskpart ? or Flag OS X partition in Safe Mode with OS X DVD, or both ?

thanks for your answer.

After repairing Vista, just let Vista boot fully and then load up DISKPART to make OS X the active partition again, that is pretty much the last step, you don't need to edit anything after that.

I can't really think of any other solution other than trying it with 2 partitions instead of 3.

Edited by devilhood

Havent got a clue, the fix is supposed to work perfectly.

I've never personally encountered a case where it hasn't worked. I've installed Vista/OS X dual-booting on both old Intel 875P and new 975X/945GM computers, mainly dealing with Gigabyte, Asus and Dell motherboards.

All set-ups are using SATA as well.

Devilhood, I followed your tutorial ad verbatim. It is great. I am getting an unusual error. Every time I set my OSX partition to active that is the only OS that boots up. If I change it to Vista (active) I see the bootloader with the option for OSX & Vista, but when I select OSX it just takes me back to the choice screen. If Vista is active, it logs in fine, but doesn't see OSX.

I believe that this is caused by the Darwin boot loader not seeing the Vista side. Can you confirm this?

Hardware is an HP nc8230 laptop w/80gb HD partitioned in half.

Yeah, this problem with the Vista Boot Loader happens to a lot of people, as I stated on the guide, so I would recommend deleting the Mac OS X Vista Boot Loader entry and using Darwin instead (which is what I did).

It's easy to bring up the Darwin Boot Loader;

1) set OS X to active

2) restart

3) tap F8 during the boot process just before the Apple Logo.

The Mac will see Vista fine :whistle:

Edited by devilhood

My hardware is a Asrock esata2 with a SataII harddrive...

i m kind of lost with this error !

Have you tried searching for your hardware on this forum in-case anyone else has had a similar experience?

Easy but doesn t work for everyone :/

It works for 99% of people.

I remember seeing an ASRock torrent up on Demonoid once to fix any incompatibility problems that may arise, perhaps your motherboard is just extremely picky.

Edited by devilhood

Lot of people have the same hardware which is known for good compatibilities.. but it did nt find someone doing dual boot with vista and darwin boot loader

Is your board the ConRoeXFire-eSATA2?

Reply back to my PM when you can :whistle:

Edited by devilhood