[Guide] The Fool-Proof Vista & XP / Mac OS X Dual-Boot Guide

370 posts in this topic

I follow all the instructions but for some reason when the apple loading screen comes up it loads for about 1 minute then I get this circle with a slash through it kinda like the no smoking signs and then it just sits there and does nothing. what do I do and how do I fix this error.

dude, are you talking about ANY Mac OS X Install DVD if you've partitioned your Hard Disk?

I'm talking about (more specifically) the 10.4.8 Installation Disc, but the same solutions can be applied with older discs.

fdisk hasn't changed that much since the dawn of time :borg:

I'll update the post Computer Guru :)

This guide seems very well structured to me, haven't used it yet, but I'm planning to :thumbsup_anim: Anyway, to my question. I dual-boot with XP and Vista today and I'm thinking of installing OS X. If I have understood things correctly, Darwin will boot directly into Vista, not load the Vista boot loader, correct? In that case, I guess the only option to have a multi-boot with XP, Vista, and OS X would be to use the Vista boot loader (which scares me after reading all the issues people are having with it..)?

Thanks!

~Joe

No, OS X will activate the Vista bootloader.

Thanks devilhood :)

OK, great! Thanks for putting me straight :thumbsup_anim:

Found out that my X1950 AGP GPU probably won't work anyway, but now I know for future reference.

dude, are you talking about ANY Mac OS X Install DVD if you've partitioned your Hard Disk?

yea I'm using jas's 10.4.8 install DVD I'm about to try the -v thing

ok someone told me it was my legacy usb ports but my bios doesn't have the option to disable them how can I disable them from windows xp. I have a 2002 Sony Vaio PCV-RX851. please some one help me I pulling my hair out by the "root" lol

I installed JaS 10.4.8 using this guide and everything went smooth, except for one thing. The drive I used for OS X isn't on the same drive as Vista (because Vista is on a SATA drive, and I read that you shouldn't install on SATA drives), which means that the Darwin boot loader can't load Windows. The other option besides OS X is the first partition on the same drive, which doesn't have any boot record. Can this be fixed somehow, or is it safe to install OS X on the SATA drive?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to this site and have gotten all the way to the point where you say to "load up Disk Utility again and repair permissions" All I can do is reboot computer at that point , but when I hit F8 before Darwin prompt and select my MAC OS, all that happens is I get the Gray Apple screen and then it goes blank and can not do anything from then on...hope you can get me headed in the right direction devilhood or anyone else.

May I suggest to all the new members here to open a new thread with their problems?

Generally speaking, replies to a tutorial should be directly related to the issues it covers, general installation problems belong in their own thread, giving them more exposure and making it easier for everyone to track specific problems and their solutions :dev:

Devilhood please help me..

I got win xp pro ,unfortunately diskpart can't create id=af

he says

"impossible for diskpart create the specified partition"

I followed your guide..

i have the unformatted partition created with pmagic(from hiren)

but nothing to do.

diskpart version is 5.1.3565

does exists any other utility that make you a partition HFS??

(macdrive doesn't works)

Just tried this on an old dell 250N laptop with XP installed. Works great, installed JaS 10.4.8. Everything booting up as expected, and put in the timeout at Darwin Bootloader, all cool.

Thanks Devilhood.

For anyone that don't want to use Diskpart in XP with all the command line stuff and want something easier, I just used Disk Management in Administrative Tools > Computer Management.

Created an Unformatted primary partition in the last half of my HD and set it to Active. Then rebooted with MacOSx86 DVD and continue from there.

Now just need to find a solution to getting QE/CI and full resolution working on this Dell laptop with Radeon Mobility M6 graphics.

Thanks devilhood, followed your guide and it is a success. However, I can use the vista bootloader, have to use darwine bootloader instead. Is there any way to customize the darwine bootloader so that it can lookz better. Or is there any other bootloader which is easy to use. Thanks

Unfortunately you cannot customize the Darwin Boot Loader, but really, it is unimportant how the Boot Loader itself looks :P

It only serves one function, and it stays on the screen for maybe 2 or 3 seconds before you choose what OS to boot; so unless you plan on staring at it for minutes at a time, stick with Darwin :)

Unfortunately you cannot customize the Darwin Boot Loader, but really, it is unimportant how the Boot Loader itself looks :P

It only serves one function, and it stays on the screen for maybe 2 or 3 seconds before you choose what OS to boot; so unless you plan on staring at it for minutes at a time, stick with Darwin :)

Sigh, thanks anyway for your great guide which help me solve the hfs+ error.

Devilhood...HELP!

I followed your instructions for creating a dual boot system with XP....after I finish the diskpart part I insert the Mac OS X install disc and reboot, but when my computer starts up it says ERROR LOADING OPERATING SYSTEM...what may I have done wrong? I am using Mac OS version 10.4.2 (that actual discs from Apple)....Please help!

Have been trying to find a way of running MAC OSX on my Pc and this looks like it works.

I was just wondering how the performance of this way of doing it is like. Can anyone give me a PC spec / MAC OSX About this MAC comparsion.

I have an old EMAC G4 which is not really that useful for the later version of Final Cut Studio and want to see if my PC will be able to run such programs.

My Current PC setup is:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3500+

2GB RAM

Radeon x800 GTO 256MB

Ok I tried using the guide and I still am having issues. When I start my computer I get a "boot loader error" that's it. Then I used the install dvd and wait for the count down and it boots from my hard drive. I thought the partition was not active or something and i followed the steps to make it active but still same issue..Looks like MBR got corrupted or something...but how can it boot from hardrive with the dvd in and giving boot loader error without the dvd...beat's me! Can some one please help!!!