macfuse, finaly somebody done it!

OoOoOoO

67 posts in this topic

No corruption on file transfers. Haven't done any extensive tests on it unlike NTFS-3G for Linux, but i'm sure there will be bugs.

700mb divx test file:

NTFS --> 500gig Ext USB2 NTFS drive = 20 minutes

NTFS --> HFS = 1 min. 19 sec.

HFS --> NTFS = 1 min. 50 sec.

Major performance hit reading/writing to 500gig ext USB2 drive, compared to NTFS-3G for Linux (4 minutes). It may be the USB drivers on 10.4.7 which was an issue a few months ago. I may not have patched it...dunno. USB drive has critical files so i wont be mounting ntfs3g driver on it.

Major issue for me:

Moved 4gig WinXP.hdd Parallels virtual drive to internal NTFS and tried to mount the vd to parallels gui. Parallels would not recognize the virtual drive perams. Posted something on parallels forum but I guess they aren't too concerned at this early point. Who would? :D It would have been nice to be able to run CentOS dev webserver and work on it under windows, linux, and Mac.

Edited by domino

http://www.afp548.com/article.php?story=20070111151712227

They've got a package installer for the current release.

I installed it earlier today after reading about the release the other day. I'm excited.

nothing happened when i installed this...

does this require terminal-commands or other procedires for this thing to work?

Full NTFS support in Mac OS X:

**Files Necessary:

MacFUSE DMG Installer

NTFS-3g DMG Installer

Note: Before continuing this process, if you've attemped to install the NTFS package before:

(In Terminal):

sudo rm -rf /Library/Receipts/NTFS-3g.pkg

Then, continue on.

Install the two dmg files (macfuse and NTFS-3g)

After installing open terminal:

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin

export PATH

sudo ln -s /System/Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/mount_fusefs /usr/local/bin/mount_fusefs

sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g /usr/bin/ntfs-3g

That just ensured that all the files are where they need to be. If you get "file exists"... that's fine!!!

Now that the prep work is done.. let's mount this drive already!!!

In Terminal:

sudo mkdir /Volumes/"Your Windows Drive"

<Replace "Your Windows Drive with w/e your drive is IN QUOTES.. "Windows XP" "Windows HD" >

Continuing on:

In Terminal (all in one command):

sudo ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/"Your Windows Drive" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Your Windows Drive"

***NOTE*** in the /dev/disk0s1 -- replace this with the location of your Windows Drive, to find it, look in Disk Utility in Applications -> Utilities... and then the properties for your drive. Also, the "Your Windows Drive" is the same we discussed earlier IN QUOTES.

i followed the steps above, i get the file exsist stuff on the first two....yet when i try to mount it, it says Fuse: failed to exec mount program: no such file or directory

any suggestions?

I get the same error, on both my windows drive and also my external

computer:/Volumes root# ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/"WinXP" -o ping_diskarb,volname="WinXP"
kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/fusefs.kext loaded successfully
fuse: failed to exec mount program: No such file or directory

Allright, I figured out how to get rid of the error: "failed to exec mount program: no such file or directory"

When you do the path stuff, don't do it as root, don't use sudo:

export PATH

Everything mounted find after that with nice ntfs write support :)

If you want the disks to automount when you start up, then go to /System/Library/StartupItems/Disks/ and type

sudo nano Disks

there should be a line that says /sbin/autodiskmount -va. After that line add something like this:

export PATH
umount /Volumes/External
rm -R /Volumes/External
mkdir /Volumes/Storage
ntfs-3g /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/"Storage" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Storage"

Then save the file and exit nano, and when you reboot it should unmount the read-only ntfs driver and remount using ntfs-3g.

Also, to make the disks show up on finder, go to Finder>Preferences>Sidebar and check Connected Servers.