ATI Alpha Driver & Source

JaS

190 posts in this topic

2: finish ATIModelInfoTable -> ATIInfoTable.cpp , there is a link for all ati deviceID/Model info

ok, I'm confused. My system profile lists the following, and I know I have a Radeon Mobility 9600 Pro

Display:

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4e50

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1400 x 1050

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

But the link (http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=240) lists 0x4e50 as

Chip Number: RV360M11

Chip Description: Radeon Mobility M10 NP

Notes: Used in PowerMac 15

Pending Submissions:

Chip Number: RV360M11

Chip Description: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

Notes: Used in Apple PowerBook 17 inch Laptop

Can someone who has a 9700 Mobility post what system profiler states?

The Mobility 9700 is M11, where as the Mobility 9600 is M10.

Have a read of this AnandTech article.

Essentially, the M9700 and M9600 are the same.

[edit] Removed info about M 9700 and M 9600 being rv360s. I know that M 9700 is rv360, but M 9600 is confusing. Some sites report it as rv350, others as rv360. I think the 9600 PRO is rv360, and just the 9600 is rv350, but there is also no distinction between desktop and Mobility. f***ing stupid naming....[/edit]

Project Registration: Submission completed

Progress: 100% completed

NOTE: You should not reload this page. Reloading this page in your browser may result in odd errors, duplicate Tracker postings (if applicable) and generate duplicate copies of the notification email which is sent to the email address we have on-file. Please do not reload this page.

Status of your request: Registration completed successfully.

Your request should be reviewed by SourceForge.net staff in the next two business days (9AM to 5PM, Monday through Friday). Response regarding your project (notice of rejection/approval) will be posted to your My SourceForge.net Projects page (accessible via the My SF.net link at the top of each site page). No email notification will be provided about approval/rejection of your project.

For your convenience, a copy of the details you submitted about your project has been sent to you via email. Please keep this information in a safe place, for future reference.

Should you have questions or concerns regarding the status of your project registration, please submit a Support Request.

You may check on the status of your project at any time using the My SF.net Projects page. Until your registration is reviewed by SourceForge.net staff, it will be shown in the list of Pending Projects on the My SF.net Projects page. After review has occurred, it will appear in the list of Active or Rejected projects, depending on the outcome of that review.

I will post a link when I get word from SourceForge. If anyone's making changes to the code right, please keep track of them so you can submit them via CVS later.

It works, but I can't change resolution....now I have 1024x768 and my laptop's screen is 1280x800....

It is an alpha driver this is in no way finshed you can help build it to change resolutions if you want :angry:

I will post a link when I get word from SourceForge. If anyone's making changes to the code right, please keep track of them so you can submit them via CVS later.

Great

finish ATIModelInfoTable -> ATIInfoTable.cpp , there is a link for all ati deviceID/Model info

np_

ps: these

"extension "com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily" cannot be found

can't determine immediate dependencies for extension com.free.driver.Ati

Can't determine dependencies for com.free.driver.Ati.

extension "com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily" cannot be found

can't determine immediate dependencies for extension com.free.driver.Ati

Can't determine dependencies for com.free.driver.Ati.

Couldn't alloc class "ATIFramebuffer"

Couldn't alloc class "ATIAccelerator""

are not import its if you set OSBundleRequired = Safe Boot ( Info.plist in ati.kext) they will wanish

or OSBundleRequired = Root in IOGraphicsFamily

:(

This is what im going to be working on tomorrow.

hi,

every one seems to be ignoring, im sry if im the annoying guy that dosn't know anything. But could someone write out simple steps, i have xcode. I would be willing to test it out? from what i read, is it just adding your Device ID and etc into the code? or am i just stupid and totaly off?

hi,

every one seems to be ignoring, im sry if im the annoying guy that dosn't know anything. But could someone write out simple steps, i have xcode. I would be willing to test it out? from what i read, is it just adding your Device ID and etc into the code? or am i just stupid and totaly off?

I sent you a pm

I attached the ATi.kext that i compiled for my Radeon 9200. It should be noted that you must not use this unless you have a device ID of 5961!!!!!

The kext works great. Window transitions are a lot smoother and iTunes visualizer gets a much higher frame-rate when stretched to its maximum resolution. The whole operating system itself blazes at much faster speeds. The driver did behave a little weird on boot (lots of windows opened off-center and occasionally a black screen with a white blinking cursor came up), but after rebooting os x a 2nd time, everything worked smoothly. Full-screen visuals such as movies and screen savers are still a little slow.

EDIT: I apologize, but the forums are messing up. i wasn't able to attach my kext. Sorry guys. :angry:

I will add your deivce id to the kext posted for the project.you can email me the kext :(

Good job Takuro

sry JaS couldn't send a PM back somthing wrong with the sever or somthing,

but here is the Device ID: is 0x4e48. Any way do i just drop the .kext into the system/etc.. extenstions folder?

Device ID: 0x4e48

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

I attached the ATi.kext that i compiled for my Radeon 9200. It should be noted that you must not use this unless you have a device ID of 5961!!!!!

Takuro;

I've got a 9200 as well, but my dev id is 5964 - not being familer with the ATI line, do you happen to know the diff? Could you add my device id to your build so that I can test it? TIA...

Takuro;

I've got a 9200 as well, but my dev id is 5964 - not being familer with the ATI line, do you happen to know the diff? Could you add my device id to your build so that I can test it? TIA...

Could be diffrent version.like 9200 or 9200 se.something like that I will add your to the projects build.I do not want alot of differenet builds around this is a project and it needs to stay focused on one kext for now,so all efforts can focus on the same outcome.the source is the same so if it runs with the kext he built it will work of the project kext.all ids are added to the project kext.

you can download the kext and add them yourself to the info.plist if you like

PM me your device id and I will add them to the kext and repost it

Could be diffrent version.like 9200 or 9200 se.something like that I will add your to the projects build.I do not want alot of differenet builds around this is a project and it needs to stay focused on one kext for now,so all efforts can focus on the same outcome.the source is the same so if it runs with the kext he built it will work of the project kext.all ids are added to the project kext.

you can download the kext and add them yourself to the info.plist if you like

PM me your device ida and i will add them to the kext and repost it

Can we start versioning the ATI.kext that's being posted? Same for the source builds. thanks.

Can we start versioning the ATI.kext that's being posted? Same for the source builds. thanks.

Ok here is a kext with these device ids in them

0x4E441002&0xffffffff 0x41441002&0xffffffff 0x4E481002&0xffffffff

0x41481002&0xffffffff 0x41501002&0xffffffff 0x4E501002&0xffffffff

0x41521002&0xffffffff 0x4E541002&0xffffffff 0x4A481002&0xffffffff

0x4A491002&0xffffffff 0x4A4A1002&0xffffffff 0x4A4B1002&0xffffffff

0x4A4C1002&0xffffffff 0x4A4D1002&0xffffffff 0x4A4E1002&0xffffffff

0x5B601002&0xffffffff 0x5B621002&0xffffffff 0x3E501002&0xffffffff

0x51441002&0xffffffff 0x51591002&0xffffffff 0x4C591002&0xffffffff

0x4C5A1002&0xffffffff 0x4C571002&0xffffffff 0x51571002&0xffffffff

0x515A1002&0xffffffff 0x514C1002&0xffffffff 0x516C1002&0xffffffff

0x4C661002&0xffffffff 0x49661002&0xffffffff 0x56531002&0xffffffff

0x59601002&0xffffffff 0x59611002&0xffffffff 0x5C631002&0xffffffff

0x49671002&0xffffffff 0x59621002&0xffffffff 0x59631002&0xffffffff

Once there are major changes to the code we will version them but this is just a small update so im going to wait for actual code changes.For now you will know this is the kext because its zipped up as Ati.kext.2.zip

I have laptop with Radeon X700 and my device id is:

Device ID: 0x5653

Can You add this ID too?

Regards

Added and posted the revised kext

Added and posted the revised kext

Jas, in another topic, you posted this from np_

".... you shold have also IOAccelerator registrated cuz i do add

ATIAccelerator skeleton too"

I don't have an IOAccelerator.kext in my /System/Library/Extensions directory, so what is this all about?

Jas, in another topic, you posted this from np_

".... you shold have also IOAccelerator registrated cuz i do add

ATIAccelerator skeleton too"

I don't have an IOAccelerator.kext in my /System/Library/Extensions directory, so what is this all about?

Its part of the ati.kext <_<

it registers it when you load the ati.kext

and that is what that is all about ....

in your terminal do ioreg-| > xerid.txt and email it to me i will see if its registered

here is a bit of my ioreg output showing the ati driver and other parts registered

This is what I see when the ATI kext is loaded. Before I correctly loaded the kext system profiler correct reported that my video card was on the AGP bus, but after it says PCI.

Before all of this this was flakey already, sometimes it would report AGP then the next boot PCI, none of my edits in AppleI386PCI.kext would stick. I don't know if it the ATI kext of something on my system already.

Does system profiler report my card being on the PCI bus affect the ATI kext? It doesn't seem to impprove my system like some guys here are reporting.

This is what I see when the ATI kext is loaded. Before I correctly loaded the kext system profiler correct reported that my video card was on the AGP bus, but after it says PCI.

Before all of this this was flakey already, sometimes it would report AGP then the next boot PCI, none of my edits in AppleI386PCI.kext would stick. I don't know if it the ATI kext of something on my system already.

Does system profiler report my card being on the PCI bus affect the ATI kext? It doesn't seem to impprove my system like some guys here are reporting.

This is an Alpha Driver for testing to see if it loads and finds the ati chip its not even a Beta and not for anyone but people that want to help develop the driver.Everyone is welcome to download it and try it but I cant say why it does one thing on someones system and not on another.Please if your only testing the development pm me with your questions and I will try to answer them.

Thanks

hey Jas,

Its me Nepali_gurkha for some reason with that login in can't post anything, anyway thanks for adding my divece ID but what do i do with the folder? do i put it into the extensions folder in the system folder?

Thanks

-Tabha

hey Jas,

Its me Nepali_gurkha for some reason with that login in can't post anything, anyway thanks for adding my divece ID but what do i do with the folder? do i put it into the extensions folder in the system folder?

Thanks

-Tabha

just follow the directions here:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...indpost&p=23824

This is an Alpha Driver for testing to see if it loads and finds the ati chip its not even a Beta and not for anyone but people that want to help develop the driver.Everyone is welcome to download it and try it but I cant say why it does one thing on someones system and not on another.Please if your only testing the development pm me with your questions and I will try to answer them.

Thanks

Jas;

I am using the ati.kext on a Dell 8400 running a radeon 9200SE - the kext loads and runs with no problem.

Jas;

I am using the ati.kext on a Dell 8400 running a radeon 9200SE - the kext loads and runs with no problem.

Thats great thanks for posting the news,I want to put in alot of work over the next few days and will post what I can get done.Also we should start an irc channel where we can colaberate on the driver and what each of is doing or wants to work on.also we can post the source and kexts on a fileserver for ppl to get update versions untill the SF cvs happens.

anyone want to do this or thinks this is a good idea?

hey u guys it worked. yay. I have ati radeon 9800 pro.

Device ID: 0x4e48

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

i can feel a significant difference in performance in playing videos, and running multiple programs. the videos run much smoother, and there isn't any lag, even in full screen. also when open programs. its amazing

-Tabha