ATI Alpha Driver & Source

JaS

190 posts in this topic

Gah....

I load my osX up, and I continually get the error that the kernel extension cannot be loaded.

I used the original kext (on page 1 or 2) and I still get the error.

9800 Pro, the device ID is listed in the kext file, but still no luck. Please assist if possible.

Check your ownership and permissions on the kext you moved. Are you compiling the source or using JaS's pre-compiled version?

op

here are my results with an ATI Radeon 9200 AGP

at boot :

extension "com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily" cannot be found

can't determine immediate dependencies for extension com.free.driver.Ati

Can't determine dependencies for com.free.driver.Ati.

Couldn't alloc class "ATIFramebuffer"

Couldn't alloc class "ATIAccelerator"

ATIFramebuffer::probe(display)

Found ATI Chip

ATIFramebuffer::start(ATI,Main) <2>

ATI,Main: vram [c0000000:10000000]

results in System profiler :

Display:

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: AGP

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x5961

Revision ID: 0x0001

Displays:

Moniteur de type inconnu:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Depth: 16-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

i hope it's help

After looking through the code, there is a LOT of things done which IOKit does for us automatically too. I put in some more skeleton functionality, but I will wait 1 week to see if 10.4.3 brings us anything nice. (No really, I have to finish something else before next week).

What is the status on SVN for the user who registered it there? We can commit what I (JaS's table entries are in radeon_??.h, just a bit out of date) added so far and concentrate less on synchronizing what we learn and achieve along the way. I will look at ATI's linux kernel glue when I get the chance.

-huma

Ok i just got up and I've had some trouble here with hte hurricane so I will be back on this sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Humasect thats great that you coded some skeleton functionality.Put it up in your next post someone can build on it while you wait.Ill take a look at it and im sure others will too.

Any coding progress we could post right away even if its skeleton code.Why hold it back for a week.Someone might code the same thing over again this week because they didnt have your code to look at,thus wasting time.I know someone with 10.4.3 and they have told me the drivers are ppc still.

Well here is the ATIInfoTable.ccp I've added most of the common devices,I didnt add firegl cards and some older laptop chips

The kernel framebuffer code is also good to look at. It might be easier to use their mode setup code. See eg. http://lxr.linux.no/source/drivers/video/aty/

Another good idea =) Let's look at those as well.

Also for those having troubles loading the kext, remember there are actually *two* places where you must insert your device+vendor hex. Doing it with the first one in the plist won't load it.

The AppleSampleFramebuffer was mentioned in another thread and is great for filling in the skeleton (I'm using it actively). Thanks.

JaS: I expect myself to add more to it within 24 hours, so next I leave OSX I'll post it. It seems to go without saying that we will have hardware framebuffer support first off.

Note, AFAIK, that the driver won't use your entire VRAM unless it is AGP and you have that bus set up in AppleI386PCI.kext or whatwasit. I've got PCI-express and no speed changes whatsover (full screen videos are still dropping frames if not played at original 1:1 pixel scale). I think this applies to regular PCI cards also. Someone with experience will either back up this claim or say otherwise =) It seems truthful though.

When we have it on sourceforge, we should add r300_dri, linux kernel framebuffer (aty), and the present x11drv. I'll have a look at Sun's Solaris x86 driver porting kit as well.

-huma

Another good idea =) Let's look at those as well.

Also for those having troubles loading the kext, remember there are actually *two* places where you must insert your device+vendor hex. Doing it with the first one in the plist won't load it.

The AppleSampleFramebuffer was mentioned in another thread and is great for filling in the skeleton (I'm using it actively). Thanks.

JaS: I expect myself to add more to it within 24 hours, so next I leave OSX I'll post it. It seems to go without saying that we will have hardware framebuffer support first off.

Note, AFAIK, that the driver won't use your entire VRAM unless it is AGP and you have that bus set up in AppleI386PCI.kext or whatwasit. I've got PCI-express and no speed changes whatsover (full screen videos are still dropping frames if not played at original 1:1 pixel scale). I think this applies to regular PCI cards also. Someone with experience will either back up this claim or say otherwise =) It seems truthful though.

When we have it on sourceforge, we should add r300_dri, linux kernel framebuffer (aty), and the present x11drv. I'll have a look at Sun's Solaris x86 driver porting kit as well.

-huma

Well then that might explain the boost in speed .I have agp working

Display:

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: AGP

Device ID: 0x4150

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Hey guys i have a All in Wonder 9800 Pro, when i check Graphics/Displays is shows

Device ID 0x4e48

Now when i look at ATIInfoTable.cpp it says

{ 0x4E48, "ATI Radeon 9800 Pro" },

I tried loading it with no success can ideas?

Hey guys i have a All in Wonder 9800 Pro, when i check Graphics/Displays is shows

Device ID 0x4e48

Now when i look at ATIInfoTable.cpp it says

{ 0x4E48, "ATI Radeon 9800 Pro" },

I tried loading it with no success can ideas?

The ATIInfoTable.cpp is just part of the source code that gets compiled to built the kext.I updated it so I posted it for those who are developing the source

you tried loading what?

The Kext?

you tried loading what?

The Kext?

Hey im kinda new to all this, just startd learning C++ 2 days ago, anyways i downloaded ATIInfoTable.cpp and Ati.Alpha.Sources i look a look inside ATIInfoTable.cpp and saw "{ 0x4E48, "ATI Radeon 9800 Pro" }," my card is a All in Wonder 9800 Pro and the Device ID: in osx86 is 0x4E48 for my card so i thought it would work, so i build it using xcode and followed the instructions to install it but its not getting loaded at all, so i wanted to know if 0x4E48 is the Device ID for the All in Wonder 9800 Pro as well and if its not if it could be added ?

Oh and one other thing is there a way to get osx86 to see all my memory it, still shows 16mb at start up !! thanks in advance

Hey im kinda new to all this, just startd learning C++ 2 days ago, anyways i downloaded ATIInfoTable.cpp and Ati.Alpha.Sources i look a look inside ATIInfoTable.cpp and saw "{ 0x4E48, "ATI Radeon 9800 Pro" }," my card is a All in Wonder 9800 Pro and the Device ID: in osx86 is 0x4E48 for my card so i thought it would work, so i build it using xcode and followed the instructions to install it but its not getting loaded at all, so i wanted to know if 0x4E48 is the Device ID for the All in Wonder 9800 Pro as well and if its not if it could be added ?

Oh and one other thing is there a way to get osx86 to see all my memory it, still shows 16mb at start up !! thanks in advance

thats the darwin boot oader showing that.The atiframebuffer might override that once it gets loaded,But you will need to know your cpu to agp bus device id number to add to the info.plist of the applei386pci.kext/The atiinfotable.cpp is not being called fully yet in the sources so its not going to show your card yet.There is still work to do with that.make sure you set the permisions on the kext like this.

Open a terminal and do this

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Ati.kext/

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Ati.kext/

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

and then reboot to get the kext to load

Also when you build the kext if it sill wont load,recompile it as a release not in debug,

or get this version and follow the steps to set the permisions stated above(I have all the most common ati card ids added to this kext in the places they need to be so you shouldnt need to edit anything with this kext,Unless your using a firegl card or old laptop chip)

how did u get it to see AGP? mine still thinks it on PCI

You will need to know your cpu to agp bus device id number to add to the info.plist of the applei386pci.kext

Still no word from SF. If I don't get an email from them by 6pm tomorrow, I'm setting up CVS on http://www.llamaguy.com/

Ok Great either way it will be great to have it up :) Thanks.

Thanks JaS your your version worked thanks again, now how would i go about finding out my cpu to agp bus device id number ??

:) Good,glad to hear it.Well how I did it was I booted into windows and put it down on paper a long time ago

Its listed in system -->device manager --->system devices then look for cpu to agp bridge and right click on it and go down to properties.then there is a tab there that tells you about your hardware ,there listed in hardware ids

what motherboard do you have?

If you dont have windows installed you could boot up a ubuntu live cd and get it from the device properies or manager in that o/s aswell

you can download the live cd for free from here http://us.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/5.10/

:) Good,glad to hear it.Well how I did it was I booted into windows and put it down on paper a long time ago

Its listed in system -->device manager --->system devices then look for cpu to agp bridge and right click on it and go down to properties.then there is a tab there that tells you about your hardware ,there listed in hardware ids

what motherboard do you have?

Hey ok i have a Asus P4P800SE mother board, i followed you directions and the closest thing i could find was

Intel® 82865G/PE/P/GV/82848P Processor to AGP Controller - 2571 and in that was

Hardware lds

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2571&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2571&SUBSYS_00000000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2571&REV_02

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2571

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2571&CC_060400

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2571&CC_0604

Device Instance id

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2571&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&08

Bus Relations

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E48&SUBSYS_4F721002&REV_00\4&38b71f77&0&0008

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E68&SUBSYS_4F731002&REV_00\4&38b71f77&0&0108

I have windows xp sp2 installed ?? lol this is crazy !

Hey ok i have a Asus P4P800SE mother board, i followed you directions and the closest thing i could find was

Intel® 82865G/PE/P/GV/82848P Processor to AGP Controller - 2571 and in that was

Hardware lds

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2571&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2571&SUBSYS_00000000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2571&REV_02

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2571

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2571&CC_060400

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2571&CC_0604

Device Instance id

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2571&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&08

Bus Relations

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E48&SUBSYS_4F721002&REV_00\4&38b71f77&0&0008

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E68&SUBSYS_4F731002&REV_00\4&38b71f77&0&0108

I have windows xp sp2 installed ?? lol this is crazy !

Hey those are the same ids as me :)

<key>IOAGPFlags</key>

<integer>65537</integer>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleI386AGP</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci8086,2571</string>

I can just post my applei386.kext for you since its already set up :D

Pm me when you download it so i can take it off the forum.If anyone other then someone with these ids downloads this kext and loads it,when you reboot it will not boot up.

Still no word from SF. If I don't get an email from them by 6pm tomorrow, I'm setting up CVS on http://www.llamaguy.com/

Cool, again thanks.

I wonder if PCI-e can be "used as" AGP for OSX's sake. I'll post the results as progress on the driver. (AFAIK 10.4.1 x86 has no idea about PCI-Express, but maybe it is similar as AGP but acts as a PCI in other respects. Research needed on my part.)

-huma

Response regarding your project (notice of rejection/approval) will be posted to your My SourceForge.net Projects page (accessible via the My SF.net link at the top of each site page). No email notification will be provided about approval/rejection of your project.

Just so this doesn't get lost through a misunderstanding. Excuse me if I'm stating the obvious.

Just so this doesn't get lost through a misunderstanding. Excuse me if I'm stating the obvious.

your right! And I was totaly not paying attention :P

Well he should check the link before setting up his own CVS then

Your request should be reviewed by SourceForge.net staff in the next two business days (9AM to 5PM, Monday through Friday).

I think we have to wait for one more day... I searched SF.net with words "ATI", "radeon" but haven't found anything yet.

hi

this question has been asked ever so often now.. but i cant seem to find a proper answer... when loading the kext i get:

Couldn't alloc class "ATIFramebuffer"

Couldn't alloc class "ATIAccelerator"

a bit later on i get:

ATIFramebuffer::probe(VGA)

Found ATI Chip

ATIFramebuffer::start(VGA) <1>

the last 2 sound good while the first 8 or so dont. Especially "Couldn't alloc class "ATIFramebuffer" and "ATIAccelerator"" dont sound promising....

what am i doing wrong?

tuxx