ATI Alpha Driver & Source

JaS

190 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction, I have a ATI All in Wonder 9800 Pro with 128 RAM however when I start up Tiger OSx86 it says 16MB I installed all the ". Kext" files and it shows AGP, which is great however I think getting even ½ of my 128MB’s of RAM would be fantastic.

Am I the only one with is problem?

Can I find information on how to fix this issue?

Hi there, thanks for your hard work on this!

I've tried adding my Device ID and installing the kext but I get an error saying that the kext could not be loaded because it was installed incorrectly. weird ...

Anyway, my Device ID is 0x5549 , it's a Radeon X800 Pro.

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to read text on a screen. :P

But in other news... I just have to get it to recognize my AGP bus but I can't seem to find the proper ID for my nForce 3 250GB chipset...

More digging required. *sigh* Guess I'm going to make a Linux live boot CD after all :)

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to read text on a screen. :)

But in other news... I just have to get it to recognize my AGP bus but I can't seem to find the proper ID for my nForce 3 250GB chipset...

More digging required. *sigh* Guess I'm going to make a Linux live boot CD after all :)

*Should* be 0x00E2

Tried that.

Just tried it again

System Profiler STILL reports PCI

Tried 00ED

00E2

00E4

Nothing. Any ideas?

Soltek K8AN2E-GR

I'm totally lost... and I'm not some stupid computer user.

XP report 00E2 as well but X STILL refuses to recognize it and I'm totally lost and I don't want to spend a million hours downloading Ubuntu when I already have Knoppix which reports 00E2 as well... WTF?!

EDIT: On the plus side, the GUI seems just a SLIGHT bit more responsive... may just be in my head though.

Seriously though, any ideas? Because I'm totally lost. System profiler reports AGP no matter what device ID I choose... and yes, I've used chown and chmod... no good. I am still stuck seeing PCI.. :)

Tried that.

Just tried it again

System Profiler STILL reports PCI

Tried 00ED

00E2

00E4

Nothing. Any ideas?

Soltek K8AN2E-GR

I'm totally lost... and I'm not some stupid computer user.

XP report 00E2 as well but X STILL refuses to recognize it and I'm totally lost and I don't want to spend a million hours downloading Ubuntu when I already have Knoppix which reports 00E2 as well... WTF?!

EDIT: On the plus side, the GUI seems just a SLIGHT bit more responsive... may just be in my head though.

Seriously though, any ideas? Because I'm totally lost. System profiler reports AGP no matter what device ID I choose... and yes, I've used chown and chmod... no good. I am still stuck seeing PCI.. :)

00E2 is the DeviceId, did you change the VendorId as well? This should be 10DE! So there has to be

<string>pci10DE,00E2<string> instead of <string>pci8086,00E2<string>

Hope this helps and you haven´t tried it yet!

Hi to all.. Nice topic, nice Big work..

Small question to all especialy to JaS :

This driver is usefull for any king of ATI cards or only for Radeon type?

I'm interesting in driver for old one's Ati Mach or Rage ..

Is chance to get it worked on thouse cards or don't waste time?

And more one questien:

Can this driver work as seccond display?

(In situation when I work on another one with ATI connected as seccond)

Sorry for my English..

Hi, sorry about my englesh its bead, can anyone hellp me with mine problem. I am not god in programinig display drivers, i post mine config file of graphic cartd is anyne have compiled drivers for this card. Anyway thanks for help.Ill be greatful if someone post compiled drivers for this card and litel help how to install them over the terminal.

Thanks.

Name ATI MOBILITY FireGL V3200

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3154&SUBSYS_05701014&REV_80\4&266C3FA7&0&0008

Adapter Type MOBILITY FireGL V3200 (0x3154), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible

Adapter Description ATI MOBILITY FireGL V3200

Adapter RAM 128,00 MB (134.217.728 bytes)

Installed Drivers ati2dvag.dll

Driver Version 6.14.10.6497

INF File oem6.inf (ati2mtag_M24GL section)

Color Planes 1

Color Table Entries 4294967296

Resolution 1600 x 1200 x 60 hertz

Bits/Pixel 32

Memory Address 0xC0000000-0xC7FFFFFF

I/O Port 0x00003000-0x00003FFF

Memory Address 0xA8100000-0xA81FFFFF

IRQ Channel IRQ 16

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF

Please help i tried every driver you posted in the foru its not working for me pleas help

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x3154

Revision ID: 0x0080

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1600 x 1200

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

tibormir:

Sorry as everyone is that the drivers are not working for you, Please note the title:

"This thread is for people what want to help develop the ATI Alpha driver"

In other words, the driver is not finished by a long way, and no-one has a driver for you, it doesn't exist.

If you can help develop one, the links to the source code are elsewhere in this thread.

Best of Luck.

Hey all JaS asked me to post this for anyone "including me" that did not know!

the 16 mb is for the darwin boot loader.not os x.Os x uses the ati framebuffer And that is loaded after the darwin boot loader thats why it says 16 mbat boot.Please post this in the tread for others to read so they understand as well.

You have to add it in 2 places. In case you didn't. I've got a x800xl (0x554D) and it worked fine, so it should be fine for x800 pro.

Thanks for the response, Fuzzlet! I assume you mean the two places in one file (info.plist)? If so, then yeah, I did that.

I rebuilt and reinstalled, and now I'm not getting any error messages at boot, and Ati appears in the Extensions list in System Profiler. BUT I'm not able to change resolutions, etc ... shouldn't I be able to do that?

Here's what I'm showing in System Profiler:

Display:

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCI

Slot: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x5549

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Under Extensions:

Ati:

Version: 1.0.1d

Last Modified: 10/28/05 10:21 AM

Get Info String: Ati

kext Version: 1.0.1

Load Address: 0xe7480000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Satisfied

Integrity: Unknown

Also, I see these messages in the system log:

Oct 28 10:27:27 localhost kernel[0]: display: family specific matching fails

Oct 28 10:27:27 localhost kernel[0]: display: stalling for module

Oct 28 10:27:35 powermac kernel[0]: ATI,Main: vram [c0000000:10000000]

Oct 28 10:27:35 powermac kernel[0]: display: Not usable

Oct 28 10:27:35 powermac kernel[0]: display: Not usable

Oct 28 10:28:10 powermac crashdump[226]: kextcache crashed

Oct 28 10:28:11 powermac crashdump[226]: crash report written to: /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/kextcache.crash.log

Any thots? Should I start a separate topic for this?

I rebuilt and reinstalled, and now I'm not getting any error messages at boot, and Ati appears in the Extensions list in System Profiler. BUT I'm not able to change resolutions, etc ... shouldn't I be able to do that?

Sorry... the ATI kext does not enable you to change the resolution nor does it add any functionality. It is posted simply to provide programmers a base from which to start.

Sorry... the ATI kext does not enable you to change the resolution nor does it add any functionality. It is posted simply to provide programmers a base from which to start.

i think it would be good to remove the kexts since they are not useful to people.

the thread will get cluttered with useless posts like people asking why they cant change resolutions or refresh rates etc.

Takuro - thank you for nailing it dead on.

/RANT\

But at the same time, most won't learn from it. They'll {censored} about it and then see some magical kext to make their nForce work and do the same thing. Then they'll {censored} too.

People will always {censored}. Its something that seems to be infused into us from the time we're children, at least in America. If something doesn't work the way it should, you {censored}, because you're allowed to.

But let them {censored}. And honestly, those working on this driver, should just blow it off. Its just smoke coming out of the horse's ass. If you don't want the smoke, don't light the fire. Period.

If people can't read, they should go back to middle school because I for damn sure know that it annoys me to no end when people won't read the information that they're given.

To put it blunty... f*** 'em. Its their fault and they don't want to admit that so they blame it on someone else. If you can't play with the big boys, don't play at all because its not the big boys' fault that you fubared your OS X installation because you didn't read what was PROMINENTLY displayed from the beginning.

Just my take on things. I get a little annoyed with the "YOUR kext ***HACK*** didn't work and I messed up my system because of YOU!" People should be happy that it even works at ALL... because it CERTAINLY wasn't meant to.

/END RANT\

Carry on folks, carry on. :(

Hi I just want to say just ignore it!

I am one of those persons who does not know how to program but I follow this project with great interest (maybe I will learn something).

I just keep my mouth (keyboard) shut and watch..

I would be very sad if the topic is moved to a place out of reache.

Matt

Hi I just want to say just ignore it!

I am one of those persons who does not know how to program but I follow this project with great interest (maybe I will learn something).

I just keep my mouth (keyboard) shut and watch..

I would be very sad if the topic is moved to a place out of reache.

Matt

I do think that this topic should be broken out into two: developers only, and a kext support topic. If this doesn't happen, I support moving the development discussion from these boards (or make them private). The reason I say this is because the developers are spending more time answering the same questions. Maybe we should have just a handfull of testers that we pull our qa infor from. I'm not about closing/hiding, but rather speading things up.

I do think that this topic should be broken out into two: developers only, and a kext support topic. If this doesn't happen, I support moving the development discussion from these boards (or make them private). The reason I say this is because the developers are spending more time answering the same questions. Maybe we should have just a handfull of testers that we pull our qa infor from. I'm not about closing/hiding, but rather speading things up.

I agree wholeheartedly -- it's too bad that I wasted both your time and mine. Programmers, go underground! Don't emerge 'til you have a driver that's useful! And good luck! :-)

I agree wholeheartedly -- it's too bad that I wasted both your time and mine. Programmers, go underground! Don't emerge 'til you have a driver that's useful! And good luck! :-)

that's not what i mean! B) can you PM me?

Why bother to provide support for something that is pre-alpha? If anything, that would sort of hint to people that this is a final product, and thus has its own sort of "tech support." In reality, this is intended for people who have the ability to troubleshoot for themselves and improve the existing resources we have available.

And no, i disagree 100% on the proposal to go underground. it's better to keep things flowing freely out in the open. Splitting this into two seperate topics would be a mess also. Things should remain as they are, and people should use common sense as their best weapon against messing up their systems. Plain and simple.

(YAY 100TH POST. W00T)

i agree with you here, please don't split the topics or make the thread private. I can't do anything to help develop as I know very little about programming, but I love watching the development and learning what I can from this thread.