x1650 agp and pcie

modbin

167 posts in this topic

OK,

I 've been reading this thread and another ( 0x71C1 & other ati x1650 pro fix) back and forth for a couple of days now.

I've tried every method that's been discribed.

My card you ask? Ati x1650 pro 512MB ddr2 AGP 0x71c7 (and please people if you talk about a card, at least give the same info about it!!!)

I 'm running 10.4.8 with a 8.8.1 kernel apparently.

That modbin installer runs fine, I can change resolutions (but no QE/CI)

I get kernel panics when I reboot with a modified kexts.

It starts complaining about the radeonX1000.kext ( I 've tried manually editing them and the prefab ones from the other thread)

It also mentions OIPCIFamily, IOgraphicsFamily, IONDRVsupport

And if you look in the X1000kext at the bottom those are mentioned aswell. So maybe that 's a clue, I don't know

Now someone said:

"maybe u shoul edit 71c0.the 1st time i try to edit 71c0 to match my id,i get kernel panic too.so i said the closest number with yours."

But I don't understand a thing he 's on about...

I 've also tried with adding an edited atinject.kext together with the rest, but I get the a kernel panic aswell

So, If anyone could give me a hint. Because I recogn it should work with QE/CI but that I 'm just screwing up somewhere.

BTW with the hexediting, I 'm not totally sure which ones to edit. Some deviceID 's I find are separeted, either by a vertical line or it runs across two lines.. If you know what I mean...

:P

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I'm a seasoned veteran on all versions of windows but a real newbie when it comes to OSX86. :wacko:

I installed Aitkos 10.5.1 last week on my 2.6ghz core duo, Jmicron motherboard system, dual

booting with Vista. Everthing worked and I had a great time exploring the OSX environment. :)

I tried Modbin's installer yesterday and could only boot to a black screen. :( I couldn't find any way to fix it

other than to erase the partitition, along with all the software and files I had installed, and reinstall OSX.

:help: BEFORE I TRY ANYTHING ELSE AND WASTE ANOTHER FULL DAY....... :help:

My First Question Is:

What is the easiest way to revert back to previous settings when something goes wrong

so I don't lose all my software and settings?

My Second Question Is:

Will I ever get both my monitors to work with extended desktop like they do in Vista? i.e....

Name Radeon X1650 Series (DVI)

Adapter Type ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x71C1), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible

Adapter RAM 512.00 MB (536,870,912 bytes)

Resolution 1680 x 1050 x 59 hertz

Name Radeon X1650 Series Secondary (VGA)

Adapter Type Not Available, ATI Technologies Inc. compatible

Adapter Description Radeon X1650 Series Secondary

Resolution 1280 x 1024 x 60 hertz

Cip Type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x71C1)

DAC Type: Internal DAC (400MHz)

Adapter String: Radeon X1650 Series

Bios Information: 113-AB09401-100

Total Available Graphics Memory: 1279 MB

Dedicated Video Memory: 512 MB

System Video Memory: 0MB

Shared System Memory: 767 MB

32 bit color on both monitors

I love my dual monitor system with Vista. I've overclocked and added 2Gigs of fast DDR-2 and a 2 Gig USB flash drive for Ready-Boost memory. It's fast and very stable and everything works.

On the other hand....I think the look and feel of OSX was just way cool. Plus it's always fun to try something new. I just need to see my graphics at the resolutions and color depth that I get with Vista.

Many Thanks to all of you who are working so hard to get these adaptors working. :moil: I'll keep watching your progress and post here if I find a solution anywhere else.

Regards,

AAAARRRRHHHHGGGG!!!! :D

P.S. To Stevie J.

Your plan is working...... I got a taste and now even though I've got 5 PC's networked through the house,

I want to buy an Apple now so that I can have an OSX installation that works as well as Vista does. :angel:

P.S.S. Sorry about the long post, I got carried away. hic! :D

Reporting :

My VGA card is Gigabyte X1650 256mb DDR2 (0x71c7)

After download the driver then install it, reboot

it worked in any resolution and rotation,

but QE/CI still not worked.

Then I follow koslowski's method

and now QE/CI all works. :(

Thanx to mobdin and koslowski, you're rock guys.

Darwin says that it only a VESA 3.0 ATI atombios 16mb

is normal..??

once again thanx a lot

• 2 weeks later...

I tried every method to get my ATI x1650 to work and only got blank screens every time. From all that I read, I gathered that even if I was able to get the ATI card working, I still wouldn't have dual screen capability.

I bought an XFX GeForce 8600 GT for $79 after rebate at Tiger.com and now EVERYTHING WORKS!!! :unsure:

Dual Screens, All resolutions, Dual Boot Vista/OSX86 with XP running virtual in OSX.

I'm in geek heaven!

Except computer won't sleep, screens go blank and won't come back on.. :) Does anyone know where to point me on this one?

And I'd like to post a screenshot of my dual monitor desktop. How do I do that? Sorry about the two off topic questions.

[NEWEST EDIT: Got the modbin patch working with the 10.5.2 update and the Graphics update afterward, then installed the patch. No DVI :) but it works well.]

So here is my newest question, with the patch installed and working is anyone missing the 1920x1200 @60 res? I have a 24" and would love to get full use but im not seeing it appear. For all other resolutions 60hz appears but 1920 only lists a 76hz...

Anyone have the same experience?

[EDIT: I just read someone said i needed to get the graphics update before using this installer, i think i may have skipped that step, is it that important? Im going to try when i get home again and report back here with my details...]

Thanks modbin for doing the work, i have been looking for a patch that works and i used yours, my machine boots up into a half blue screen and half patches...

I had to use time machine because i couldnt figure out what it changed.

I have a Sapphire x1650 Pro PCIE with 71c6 identifier, running 10.5.2 with graphics update and EFI, any ideas or thoughts of the top of your head with whats wrong?

• 1 month later...
Worked with my Radeon x1650 512mb PCIE but weird thing i CANT preview my screensavers..why :censored2:

I have the same problem. For some reason, when I enable QE/CI on my card (Sapphire Radeon X1650 Pro 256MB), I cannot preview the screensavers (I only see a white screen). Also, coverflow view doesn't work (I can't see it either), and lastly, the same happens to videos (I can hear audio, but can't view video, only see white screen too). However, when I disable QE/CI everything works. Hmm. This is strange. If someone knows what may be causing the problem, and has a solution, please let me know. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Reporting :

My VGA card is Gigabyte X1650 256mb DDR2 (0x71c7)

After download the driver then install it, reboot

it worked in any resolution and rotation,

but QE/CI still not worked.

Then I follow koslowski's method

and now QE/CI all works. :P

Thanx to mobdin and koslowski, you're rock guys.

Darwin says that it only a VESA 3.0 ATI atombios 16mb

is normal..??

once again thanx a lot

I'm using same display card as yours.

Are you sure that you can watch video and using Open GL application softwares after enabled hardware CI/QE functions ? Because I had similar problems as chico_stang and Djay who posted aboe this.

Last night eventually I got my card working via DVI-->VGA port (analog) with proper ATINDRV.kext and ATIRadeonX1000.kext only. The ATIinject.kext must be deleted. The key depents upon ATIRadeonX1000.kext (71C7) to activate proper ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ATY_Wormy.kext. That means if working you should have both ATIRadeonX1000 and ATY_Wormy shown in Extensions of "About This Mac". There are two limitations: (1) No digital output from DVI port; (2) Maximal resolution from VGA is up to 1400 x 1050 only ( No visible 1650 x 1050 or 1600 x 1200 in my card).

Well, I have an update. I managed to fix the problem by extracting Modbin's X1650 71c6 package, and replacing the 71c6 ID with the ID of my card (71c7). Then, I replaced the files of the extensions folder with the modified ones, ran Extensions Repair, restarted, and everything works perfectly. Now I can watch video, preview the screensavers and coverflow, and all runs very fast.

Well, I have an update. I managed to fix the problem by extracting Modbin's X1650 71c6 package, and replacing the 71c6 ID with the ID of my card (71c7). Then, I replaced the files of the extensions folder with the modified ones, ran Extensions Repair, restarted, and everything works perfectly. Now I can watch video, preview the screensavers and coverflow, and all runs very fast.

Do you have the limitations as mine in the above post ?

Do you have the limitations as mine in the above post ?

Well, I do not know if DVI works, because my monitor is connected via VGA, so can't answer that one. About the resolution, I get the monitor's max resolution, which is 1440 x 900, so I do not have a problem with that. All the resolutions are available, up to 1440 x 900 (monitor's optimum) as I said. Everything is working correctly, and both my card and monitor are recognized correctly in System Profiler.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there, care to explain which iD you replaced?

Just the one on the info.plist on ATiRadeonX1000.kext?

Thanks

Hi there, care to explain which iD you replaced?

Just the one on the info.plist on ATiRadeonX1000.kext?

That was months ago, but as I remember, I believe it was all the IDs of every file in Modbin's Package (the ones that had IDs of course, but to make sure, I checked everything). I looked inside every file, and searched for the 71c6 and c671 and replaced both for 71c7 and c771 respectively. If you need the package, let me know.

That was months ago, but as I remember, I believe it was all the IDs of every file in Modbin's Package (the ones that had IDs of course, but to make sure, I checked everything). I looked inside every file, and searched for the 71c6 and c671 and replaced both for 71c7 and c771 respectively. If you need the package, let me know.

Fully working ATi Radeon X1650 PCIe (0x71C7) for Leopard 10.5.2, confirmed.

Thanks again, I'm sure lots of people will ask you for it :thumbsdown_anim:

Hello again,

I recently updated to 10.5.3, along with kernel 9.3.0, and now my X1650 does not have QE/CI enabled. If anyone has it working with my same configuration (and Device ID 71c7), please let me know.

Hey chico_stang, what if you make the same modifications on the 10.5.3 modbin package?