macOS Sonoma Wireless Issues Discussion.

SavageAUS
791 posts in this topic

I have posted a very good Sonoma Wi-Fi solution here.  This solution requires only an Ethernet port (which for me, requires IntelMausiEthernet.kext) and does not require OCLP or any extra drivers / software.

EDIT: As indicated by Slice, this Wi-Fi solution does not provide native support for AirDrop, AirPlay and other features that require natively working Wi-Fi. It provides a Mac with a Wi-Fi wireless data connection.

Edited by deeveedee

@Slice I'm trading security against features.  I'm still looking for options that can provide more features without compromising security.

EDIT: Thank you for pointing this out.  I have edited my posts to make sure that this tradeoff is clear.  I recognize that your post is quoted from here.

EDIT2: @Slice Your comment reminds me of a story I once read in an old Readers Digest "Laughter the best Medicine."   A skydiver is about to jump out of an airplane without a parachute.  His buddy asks, "Why no parachute?"  The skydiver answers, "Because the straps will wrinkle my new shirt."

Edited by deeveedee
  • Haha 2

@deeveedee Are you looking for m.2 card for your EliteDesk ? If yes, you have plenty of options starting from Intel 8260 all the way to AX211. All of them work just fine both Wi-Fi and BT without the need of OCLP or SIP disabled. I can confirm working on my hacks Intel 8265NGW, 9560NGW, AX210 and AX211.

• Like 3

@FredWst  I have tested AirDrop before and it worked in one direction only. Since I don't use any of the features mentioned (I use Android phone/tablet) I don't have an option to test further. Never been in the Apple ecosystem. I use MacOS only for music production and simple browsing/movies etc. Also the speed of the latest Intel AX210, 211 can't be compared to the old and slow natively supported BCM cards. It's been said many times that if you are looking for fully supported Wifi/BT you have to use OCLP with the well known BCM cards.

Ok understand.

Take a look here.

Seems you're not in phase with other user who said it works.

Maybe was working on beta 2, but not on release.

Who is right ? 

Fred

Edited by FredWst
  • Like 2

Well this discussion is quite alarming. Is it the breakign of the macOS "seal" or is it the disabling of SIP that is the issue? Or, obviously the combination of the two?

I'm exhausted with this update to Sonoma and am ready to go back to Monterey which was rock solid for me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pkdesign said:

Well this discussion is quite alarming. Is it the breakign of the macOS "seal" or is it the disabling of SIP that is the issue? Or, obviously the combination of the two?

I'm exhausted with this update to Sonoma and am ready to go back to Monterey which was rock solid for me.

If you don't need XCode, Monterey is perfectly good and still getting Apple updates.

Also, Apple has been sending occasional notices about their "Cloud-based XCode."  I don't know enough about it, but it appears to me as though developers will have access to the latest XCode without the latest macOS.  Does anyone have experience with Apple's Cloud-based XCode to know if it is a suitable replacement for XCode running in Sonoma?

EDIT: This post explains that the cloud-based XCode is very limited and not a direct replacement for XCode in macOS.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Thanks 1

@deeveedee

In my experience, Xcode runs on Ventura much better than on Sonoma.

In Sonoma I have the "lldb-rpc-server has crashed" issue (not all the projects): Xcode debug phase crashes although the product is well built into the target folder.

And command line apps built within Xcode fails to run when double clic on them (but they can be run by ./app-name from Terminal).

In Sonoma these issues don't exist. Xcode runs ok.

Not tried nothing yet about Cloud-based XCode.

• Like 2

Thanks, @miliuco . While good to know about XCode flaws in Sonoma (the reason I won't upgrade my HackMini8,1 to Sonoma until Ventura no longer runs the latest XCode), I'm more interested in being able to run Monterey on my HackBookPro6,2 while accessing the latest XCode via Apple's Cloud.

I'd love to know if anyone has used Apple's Cloud-based XCode and would like your opinions.

EDIT: I'm interested in using Cloud-based XCode in Monterey because Monterey runs great on my HackBookPro6,2, Monterey still gets Apple updates and Monterey doe NOT require OCLP Wi-Fi root patches.

EDIT2: This post explains that the cloud-based XCode is very limited and not a direct replacement for XCode in macOS.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, FredWst said:

Ok, entenda.

Dê uma olhada aqui.

Parece que você não está em fase com outro usuário que disse que funciona.

Talvez estivesse trabalhando na versão beta 2, mas não no lançamento.

Quem está certo?

Fred

AirDrop not work on last releases from Sonoma. I change my wireless card to intel AX210 and AX211. Never could be left my keys vulnerable with OCLP.

Edited by Max.1974

I don't want to clutter this thread with OCLP security concerns; however, I think this post (which includes a link to comments from one of the principal Devs) is very relevant to this Sonoma Wireless discussion.

BTW: I have received a lot of "hate mail" for challenging the OCLP Devs and raising security concerns. I don't care about the "hate mail," don't care what others think and I continue to remain focused on creating OCLP Security Awareness.  Now that principal Devs have validated and admitted to my security concerns, I no longer feel pressure to prove my claims.  But I will warn you that if you want to win any popularity contests, you care what others think and the "likes" matter to your self esteem, do not "like" any of my posts in MacRumors and do not create any MacRumors posts that agree with me.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Haha 1

Can somebody indicate me a PCe adapter for AX211NGW? Or AX210 gives the same results. Is the adapter used for BRCM360 good for AX210? I am in process of buying and I don't want to buy things there are not usable. Thank you in advance.

SCR-20231016-nccr.png.38f49bbbec1bb16ced7837ecf6d34394.png

3 hours ago, XanthraX said:

Can somebody indicate me a PCe adapter for AX211NGW? Or AX210 gives the same results. Is the adapter used for BRCM360 good for AX210? I am in process of buying and I don't want to buy things there are not usable. Thank you in advance.

I think the adapter you need is one that is indicated by the 'E' shown on the Card in your pic.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 8:45 AM, XanthraX said:

SCR-20231016-nccr.png.38f49bbbec1bb16ced7837ecf6d34394.png

Hi I think you not will find adapter for usb Pcie devices, is because this system required CNVio2 socket. Maybe you can use only with desktop.

Look on AliExpress for "AX211 WiFi 6E CNVi Band 2.4 | 5 | & 6GHz "

image.thumb.png.e3416918d6da80ff409af05f3a2349e0.png

image.thumb.png.6c24504703753a0ac396f93487a7ba33.png

I have one of this on my MOBO Aorus Z790 Elite AX and use another card intel for my Laptop Lenovo.

AX210 have another system, compatible with NGFF M.2 and USB conectors.

Captura de Tela 2023-10-17 às 21.33.00.png

• Like 3

On 10/22/2023 at 3:55 AM, Jake Lo said:

@windowless31

I have the same DW1830 wireless card. After some trial and error, I was able to get it working.

You just need to disable AirportBrcmFixup.kext and all it's plugins...AirportBrcmNIC_injector.kext

The same "Jake Lo" of Dell Laptop fame?  I remember looking at some of your posts when developing my Dell Latitude E6410 solutions.  If I didn't say 'thank you' then, Thank you!

I'm surprised that AirportBrcmFixup.kext causes a problem.  Is it possible that you just need to remove the plugin?  If not, have you figured out why AirportBrcmFixup.kext (without plugins) interferes with DW1830?

EDIT: I'm definitely in agreement that if the kext isn't necessary, don't inject it.  I'm just curious.  Thanks.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1