Get back Fenvi T919 and other Broadcom Wi-Fi on macOS 14 Sonoma thanks to OLCP

miliuco

11 posts in this topic

Note: This text was part of the post [GUIDE] How to install macOS 14 Sonoma on Z390 Aorus Elite motherboard using OpenCore but I have moved it to a separate thread to make it easier to find for those still looking for this information.

Broadcom Wi-Fi stop working in Sonoma

Apple has dropped support for Broadcom Wi-Fi chipset used in pre-2017 Macs:

• AirPortBrcmNIC.kext (IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext plugin) dependant
    • device-id pci12e4,43ba >> BCM43602
    • device-id pci12e4,43e3 >> BCM4350
    • device-id pci12e4,43a0 >> BCM4360
  • AirPortBrcm4360.kext (IO80211Family.kext plugin) dependant
    • device-id pci12e4,4331 >> BCM94331
    • device-id pci12e4,4353 >> BCM943224.

Many users including myself have used Fenvi T919 or Fenvi HB1200 PCI-express cards (Wi-Fi + Bluetooth combo) which have worked since at least High Sierra OOTB, without the need for additional drivers, automatically installed by macOS and recognized as Airdrop and Bluetooth by macOS.

Both Fenvi cards have the BCM4360 Wi-Fi chipset so they have stopped working in Sonoma. Bluetooth works well, as in Ventura and earlier. This is a serious inconvenience because most of the features associated with the Apple ecosystem are lost: Airdrop, Continuity, iPhone camera...

As extra information, Macs that can officially update to Sonoma have these Broadcom Wi-Fi:

• 2017 iMacPro1,1 / 2018/2019 MacBookAir8,x -> BCM4355 (pci14e4,43dc)
  • 2018 MacMini8,1 / 2018/2019 MacBookPro15,x / 2019 iMac19,x / 2019 MacPro7,1 / 2019/2020 MacBookPro16,x / 2020 iMac20,x -> BCM4364 (pci14e4,4464)
  • 2020 MacBookAir9.1 -> BCM4377b (pci14e4.4488).

They are chipsets soldered on the board that are not sold on the market and we cannot got them to install a Wi-Fi compatible with Sonoma in our Hack.

Get back Fenvi Wi-Fi in Sonoma

OCLP developers have been working on this issue and have released a fix in OCLP 0.6.9 that makes Wi-Fi work again like it did in Ventura. I know it is not the ideal situation, many of us want to have the system as close as possible to a real Mac and OCLP has to apply root patches that force it to work by relaxing some macOS security rules. But what the OCLP team has achieved is a very big advance.

You have the instructions in this post (look for the Hackintosh notes section):

Early preview of macOS Sonoma support now available!

Note: OCLP developers prefer that we download OCLP from the link they post, for this reason I do not put a direct link here. It is a way to take users to the original post so that it can be read, which is highly recommended.

In summary, this is what to do:

• System Integrity Protection disabled: csr-active-config=03080000
  • AMFI disabled: boot-args = amfi=0x80
  • Secure Boot Model = Disabled
  • Block com.apple.iokit.IOSkywalkFamily, setting MinKernel to 23.0.0 to ensure the patch is applied only in Sonoma
  • Inject 3 extensions (Kexts folder and config.plist): IOSkywalk.kext, IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext and AirPortBrcmNIC.kext (IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext plugin) in this order, setting MinKernel to 23.0.0 to ensure they are injected only in Sonoma
  • Reboot and apply OCLP root patch (Modern Wireless Network).

My Wi-Fi is Fenvi T919 so I have tried OCLP 1.0.0. I have followed the instructions TO THE LETTER and they have worked well. I have Wi-Fi and Airdrop in Sonoma. Please note that khronokernel instructions must be followed EXACTLY. In short, OCLP 1.0.0 or newer works, at least for me.

Wifiactiveagain.thumb.png.18bbed4d9b174ecbae2d08bfba6b1045.png

Don't forget to enable (Enabled=True) the 3 added extensions and the blocked extension. Important: com.apple.iokit.IOSkywalkFamily block must have Enabled=True and Strategy=Exclude. Otherwise, you may have kernel panic at boot.

Incremental updates are lost with this configuration, updates can be notified from Software Update but the full installation package is downloaded and not the delta package that only contains changes from the previous version. To obtain incremental updates you have to revert the OCLP root patch and restart but you lose Wi-Fi, keep this in mind if you depend on it to have Internet access, in this case do not revert root patch before proceeding with the update.

Note: After updating, you must ALWAYS reapply root patch since macOS overwrites the files modified by the patch, installing original unmodified versions.

Note: OCLP has added basic support for 3rd party Broadcom chipsets, not officially supported as never shipped in any official Mac but supported by AirportBrcmFixup, these chipsets are used in Hackintoshes:

• device-id pci12e4,4357 >> BCM43225
  • device-id pci12e4,43B1 >> BCM4352
  • device-id pci12e4,43B2 >> BCM4352 (2.4 GHz).

AMFI and AMFIpass.kext

AMFI (Apple Mobile File Integrity) was originally seen on iOS but migrated to macOS in 10.12 Sierra, possibly in 2012 when GateKeeper and digitally signed code were introduced. In short, it is a technology that blocks the execution of non signed code. It consists of 2 components:

• /usr/libexec/amfid service run as root from /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.MobileFileIntegrity.plist
  • /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMobileFileIntegrity.kext.

AMFI must be enabled to grant third-party applications access to privacy-relevant services and/or peripherals, such as external cameras and microphones. But, with SIP and/or AMFI disabled (a necessary condition to apply OCLP root patches) the dialog box to grant access to those applications is not shown to the user so those peripherals simply cannot be used in applications like Zoom or MS Teams, for example.

AMFI is usually enabled but it has already been seen that OCLP root patches require disabling AMFI and SIP in order to be applied. To avoid the problem of peripherals not working with third-party applications, OCLP team has developed the AMFIPass.kext extension (1.3.0 release) that allows AMFI to be enabled when the system must operate with AMFI and SIP disabled, such as when using OCLP to applying root patches. This fixes the permissions issue and OCLP can apply the patches as if AMFI were disabled.

If macOS has previously given permissions to these third-party applications and then AMFI and/or SIP is disabled, these permissions are transferred and the new system maintains them. But in a clean installation they do not exist. This is the main problem that AMFIPass.kext tries to solve. Being able to root patch OCLP with AMFI enabled is just a positive side effect.

In summary, when applying OCLP root patches you can act in 2 different ways:

• with boot argument amfi=0x80 without AMFIPass.kext. amfi=0x80 is a bitmask that disables AMFI completely. The value 0x80 is equivalent to AMFI_ALLOW_EVERYTHING
  • with AMFIPass.kext 1.3.0 removing amfi=0x80 and adding -amfipassbeta in boot args.

The -amfipassbeta boot argument is provided by AMFIPass.kext 1.3.0 to override kernel version checking, so that the extension is loaded regardless of the macOS version. This way AMFIPass can work on macOS beta for which the extension does not yet have support.

Note: current AMFIPass.kext 1.4.0 doesn't need anymore -amfipassbeta boot arg on Sonoma.

I use AMFIPass.kext, removing amfi=0x80. If OCLP root patching fails due to this setting, you can temporarily disable AMFI with the boot argument amfi=0x80, apply the patches, reboot, remove amfi=0x80, and reboot again.

(Credits to 5T33Z0 for much of the explanatory text about AMFI and AMFIPass.kext).

Note: there’s a semi-automated patch available, thanks to AppleOSX, aplicable only when installing from USB, tried with success -> link.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

macOS Sonoma 14.4 breaks OCLP patch

In the beta versions of macOS 14.4, Apple has modified parts of the Wi-Fi stack and OCLP root patch has stopped working so the Fenvi and Broadcom Wi-Fi are no longer operational.

To recover these Wi-Fi, 2 changes are required:

• OLCP 1.4.2 >> Link
  • replace IOSkywalkFamily.kext, current version is 1.0.0 and you have to change to version 1.1.0, also available on the OLCP GitHub >> payloads >> Kexts >> Wifi >> Link

How to make the change?

• replace IOSkywalkFamily.kext, revert OCLP root patch and reboot
  • apply root patch of OCLP 1.4.2 and reboot.

The other settings do not change.

Note: Keep in mind that this may have more changes in subsequent macOS versions. But at least for now, in the final 14.4, this OCLP tweak works.

• Like 4

Thanks for the info but we don't have real Macs. OCLP is for real Macs right? Exactly what is OCLP doing other than loading more kexts to override the HW interfaces. I have 14.4 and would like to stand up a T-919. May I see your EFI?

Maybe I found it. Do I just use how-to-config-fenvi and add amfipass.kext?

Where does IOSkywalkFamily.kext get located? In OC/KEXTS?

Edited by jrhende

Posted (edited)

@jrhende

The first post is enough explanatory.

Of course, extensions always go in the OpenCore Kexts folder.

Although OCLP is designed for use on real Macs, it is useful when applying the root patch that allows you to recover Broadcom Wi-Fi on Hacks. 
Yes, how-to-config-fenvi and amfipass.kext are for this task. Adding them to the base config. 
Second post is for Sonoma 14.4.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 2

Hey there @miliuco,

Thanks for your help. I followed the directions and can got wireless turned on but did not see any networks so I did the OCLP patch thing and then the system would not boot.

Added amfi=0x80 and the system booted and could see and connect to wireless networks. All good. 👍

Dislike having OCLP patch OSX and now also code signing has to be off all the time.👎

Edited by jrhende
  • Like 2

@jrhende

Your config.plist is okey. I prefer Lilu as first kext and VirtualSMC as second kext but it has nothing to do with your EFI.

But config settings without OCLP root patch -> not working wifi. OCLP root patch is mandatory. You must:

• download OCLP (latest is 1.4.2)
  • open OCLP -> go to Post-Install Root Patch button
  • if you see Networking Modern Wireless button enabled, click it
  • reboot
  • connect to wireless network.

This must be done after each update since macOS overwrites the files installed by OCLP.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jrhende said:

Dislike having OCLP patch OSX and now also code signing has to be off all the time.👎

Yes, this is the main disadvantage of the OCLP patch, having macOS working with relaxed security. Code signing is working but Apple Secure Boot (SecureBootModel in OpenCore) is disabled, so macOS allows to boot from systems not verified and approved by Apple. I think that this is not a so serious issue for users who have the Hack as personal computer but it can be more important if the Hack is for business or works that require complete security.

• Like 3

Update. Discovered that I had to add amfi=0x80 due to Amfipass.kext not being loaded. Used proper tree and it asked if I wanted to fix an inheritance issue between amfipass.kext and IOSkywalkFamily.kext (maybe not this one but one of the new kexts). Said yes and proper tree reordered my kexts in config.plist. Took out amfi=0x80 and it boots again w/o it. 

Updated system to 14.4.1 and OCLP had a background task that asked if I wanted to patch the system again. Said yes, it patched and rebooted. All good.

WiFi works along with AirDrop with a Fenvi T919 in 14.4.1 Sonoma on a HP 800 G5 SFF. Also mapped my USB Ports using USBToolBox in Windows to get my internal (on motherboard) USB port to work so I could plug in the BlueTooth 4.X Fenvi cable. Bluetooth now also works. I'd like to investigate finding a BT 5.0 or even 5.1 to work in my hack. Want this to connect to my stereo in another room.

Thank you all for your help. Especially @miliuco

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Note: there’s a semi-automated patch available, thanks to AppleOSX, aplicable only when installing from USB, tried with success -> link.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1