SSE2 - Exp 4 released (UPDATE2: Exp6 out)

semthex

106 posts in this topic

JaS has a DVD all ready to go. Just waiting on a stable/final SSE2/3 kernel to put into it.

As his channel says in IRC: "Won't release until sse2 kernel is 100% ready

So this is going to be a new whole ISO or there will be a ppf file for the SS3 ISO released

last month???

Thanks!!!

Semthex's exp6 build is just great

I was able to install exp6 on my Sony Vaio but, using Titan or Natit,

nothing is displayed on laptop's screen..it's just all white screen.

Only external display via d-sub connection works :)

I tried couple of dual display version of Natit too but to no avail.

It's all very weird..does anyone have any experience like this?

Sony Vaio FS15LP

Intel Pentium M Dothan 2.13Ghz

Nvidia Geforce Go 6200 Turbocache

Ich 6M

1GB DDR

15.4" Widescreen, native resolution of 1280x800

post-23976-1166159075_thumb.png

Wow!! Itunes 7 running!!

The only glitch is "About This Mac" crashes...Downloading Jas 10.4.7 Update..(to replace the loginwindow.app) I hope this works..any comments??

I'm downloading the 10.4.8 Combo Update from Apple, gonna try and get the OpenGL framework working...

I'll be doing more test on a few systems..I'll definitely post the results with complete configurations..

Cheers!!

I've got the About This Mac fixed...using 10.4.6 DVD!! Still working on my display..to achieve QE..hmmm..

Edited by logimaster

hmm could someone help me out pls... got beta 6 kernel- its booting fast and all but not to gui- i end up with a blue screen- no mouse, the hard disk is reading.... any one with similar results- i followed sabersho's guide... im using a pentium M 1.73, with gma 900 vidcard...

hmm a new problem- i previously used jas updater with beta 9 kernel- but now using the apple 10.4.8 combo update and beta 6 kernel- i got no problems booting- but after the loginwindow the screen turns blue and just stays blue... (how gma900 looks like without the paperclip hack on 10.4.4 kernel) i used my backup smbios, ioatafamily, acpi etc... still the same....

I get this exact same problem with my Laptop - also a Pentium M and GMA 900. Works fine if I use the JaS Beta 9 Updater and then drop in Exp 6. The moment I try and do an almost real install using apple deltas or combos I get blue screen and no GUI.

Everything works like a charm here using exp6.

I've got a Dell 9300 with a Pentium M 1.6 and a GeForce 6800Go and I have everything working including QE/CI using Natit v0.2

Hi Spaniard,

Ive also got a Dell 9300 with Geforce 6800Go, but so far ive only been able to get QE/CI working using TItan Kext. Cant find Natit v0.2 anywhere. Do you think you could give me a link to it?

Also, the ripple effect doesnt work properly in Expose and Quicktime displays only black video with white stripes when trying to play MOV's. Works fine for XVID though.

Also when i view certain pictures in 1920x1200xmillions of colors I can see obvious bad color banding, but if i pick 1920x1200xthousands of colors the color gradients in pictures are much smoother.

And lastly I cant get any sort of dual display to work using either the VGA out or DVI on the laptop and when I try Sleep Mode the laptop display never recovers when I try and resume.

Could you please check and see if you are you having any of these same problems with your 9300 + Natit v0.2 + Semthex Exp 6 ? I'm very interested in just how many of these problems have now been sorted out with the Dell 9300 hardware.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Spaniard,

Ive also got a Dell 9300 with Geforce 6800Go, but so far ive only been able to get QE/CI working using TItan Kext. Cant find Natit v0.2 anywhere. Do you think you could give me a link to it?

Sure thing kobra, http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=256001

Also, the ripple effect doesnt work properly in Expose and Quicktime displays only black video with white stripes when trying to play MOV's. Works fine for XVID though.

I can verify that the ripple effect works just beautifully. Also Quicktime is working fine with the latest version and so is iTunes 7.0.2

Also when i view certain pictures in 1920x1200xmillions of colors I can see obvious bad color banding, but if i pick 1920x1200xthousands of colors the color gradients in pictures are much smoother.

I've not experienced this personally, but I have the lower end LCD that only does up to 1440x900x32bit

And lastly I cant get any sort of dual display to work using either the VGA out or DVI on the laptop and when I try Sleep Mode the laptop display never recovers when I try and resume.

I've not tested the dual monitor as of yet, but I will try to get back to you on that tomorrow. I am also experiencing the same issue with the sleep mode. I'm still searching for a solution. Also I needed to get rid of my IOPCCard.kext to not get a kernel panic. Does anyone have a solution to this one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You are very welcome.

-.Spaniard

Sure thing kobra, http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=256001

I can verify that the ripple effect works just beautifully. Also Quicktime is working fine with the latest version and so is iTunes 7.0.2

I've not experienced this personally, but I have the lower end LCD that only does up to 1440x900x32bit

I've not tested the dual monitor as of yet, but I will try to get back to you on that tomorrow. I am also experiencing the same issue with the sleep mode. I'm still searching for a solution. Also I needed to get rid of my IOPCCard.kext to not get a kernel panic. Does anyone have a solution to this one?

You are very welcome.

-.Spaniard

Wow, thanks for your quick response and link Spaniard :)

I have downloaded natit v0.02 and will try loading my JAS 10.4.6 base image and then Natit to see if it makes a difference to things like the ripple effect etc. One thing though, I've only got Semthex's SSE2 Exp 1 and I havent been able to find Exp 6 anywhere. Could you possibly point me in the right direction of where I could get this? I think it would definately help with the Quicktime issues at least. I tried the irc server and #kernel channel but was told its not available there :(

Also what base install DVD did u start with and then what combo updates did u install?

I have always started with JAS 10.4.6 DVD and then gone straight to semthex SSE2 but this time I might try going to JAS 10.4.7 combo, then JAS 10.4.8 combo, then finally to semthex.

Hope the results are better than the last time.

Ohh, and I didnt have to get rid of IOPCCard.kext version 1.6.2 on my install.

Thanks again.

hmm could someone help me out pls... got beta 6 kernel- its booting fast and all but not to gui- i end up with a blue screen- no mouse, the hard disk is reading.... any one with similar results- i followed sabersho's guide... im using a pentium M 1.73, with gma 900 vidcard...

i have the same cpu and graphics card and followed sabersho's. I started with a JaS 10.4.7 (not a fresh install but one i have been using for a long time, probably should go back and do a fresh install, but ill get to that later)...

I thought i had completely fubared my install as after i installed the 10.4.8 update from apple, my system crashed and i had to do a hard restart. to replace all the files i needed to remove i had to boot into a DVD install disc and use terminal from there. Then when i tried to boot again i also got the blue screen

I went back and removed AppleIntelGMA950.kext (just this one not any of the other ones), used my old AppleIntel915.kext, AppleIntel915GA.plugin, AppleIntelGLDriver.bundle and AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext. Reparied permissions and rebooted. I also replaced my OpenGL.framework from /Sys/Lib/Frameworks/ with my old one. Now everything is running great and CI and QE and opengl are working fine. Still have to use the Paperclip trick to boot but whatever.... it was running kinda slugish but i think its more because of the fact that its a pretty old install and could benefit from a reformat and fresh install. native itunes7 is amazing :)

hello tyre,

if you have already replaced AppleSMBIOS.kext and IOATAFamily.kext with the ones from Paulicat,

then you only need to restore the ff to the versions you had before the official apple 10.4.8 update.

1) IONDRVSupport.kext

2) AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

3) OpenGL.framework

i'm assuming you know which goes where.

this is what solved my bluescreen problem.

also, pls make sure there are no AppleIntelGMA950*kext lying around under /System/Library/Extensions.

the official apple 10.4.8 update carries them.

Ok so finally got it working from 10.4.6 to 10.4.8 Combo route -

Lenovo C100 - Pentium-m 760 - ICH6 915 - GMA900 etc

Deleted

AppleIntelcpupowermanagment.kext

All GMA950 kexts

Swapped for 10.4.6 Versions

IOATAFamily.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

IONDRVSupport.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

OpenGL.framework

loginwindow.app

Had some wierd diskarb errors during the install but booting to single user and using

update_prebinding -root / -force && reboot

seemed to fix it.

EDITS

added - 10.4.8 - IONDRVSupport.kext - all is well

added - 10.4.8 - AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext - breaks install - black screen no GUI

added - 10.4.8 - OpenGL.Framework - breaks install - messed up GUI big black blocks everywhere

added - 10.4.8 - IOATAFamily.kext - breaks install

Edited by Katch

I've only got Semthex's SSE2 Exp 1 and I havent been able to find Exp 6 anywhere. Could you possibly point me in the right direction of where I could get this? I think it would definately help with the Quicktime issues at least. I tried the irc server and #kernel channel but was told its not available there
That is where I got it from. If yoyu look at the channel title, the URL is embedded in it, with something like http://tinyurl.com/...
Also what base install DVD did u start with and then what combo updates did u install?

I used JAS 10.4.7 DVD ISO, then JAS 10.4.8 combo with beta9 and then replaced beta9 with exp6

Also in answer to your dual screen question, I was not able to get dual screen with the VGA output and I don't have a DVI compatible screen.

Ohh, and I didnt have to get rid of IOPCCard.kext version 1.6.2 on my install.

Thanks again.

I will check and see if I can get the IOPCCard.kext from 10.4.7 and see if it works for me.

Thank you,

-.Spaniard

Ok so finally got it working from 10.4.6 to 10.4.8 Combo route -

Lenovo C100 - Pentium-m 760 - ICH6 915 - GMA900 etc

Deleted

AppleIntelcpupowermanagment.kext

All GMA950 kexts

Swapped for 10.4.6 Versions

IOATAFamily.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

IONDRVSupport.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

OpenGL.framework

loginwindow.app

Had some wierd diskarb errors during the install but booting to single user and using

update_prebinding -root / -force && reboot

seemed to fix it.

EDITS

added - 10.4.8 - IONDRVSupport.kext - all is well

added - 10.4.8 - AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext - breaks install - black screen no GUI

added - 10.4.8 - OpenGL.Framework - breaks install - messed up GUI big black blocks everywhere

added - 10.4.8 - IOATAFamily.kext - breaks install

the things you mentioned under EDITS are the same things i have experienced while trying to

get to the purest 10.4.8. at least, between the two of us, our ich6 915/gma900 behave the same way.

if i may add:

adding apple's 10.4.8 AppleSMBios.kext will get to a blue screen with a movable mouse pointer but just that.

so close yet so far away.

i didn't delete/replace apple's 10.4.8 AppleIntelcpupowermanagment.kext. i was hoping it would fix my wakeup

from sleep problem. it didn't but i still kept it. i just set the laptop to not sleep except for the lcd.

the executables on apple's 10.4.8 IOATAFamily.kext are basically the same as that of Paulicat's. i only looked at the

IOATAFamily and the executable handling the intel side of things. the only diff is that the Info.plist on the intel

side of things has got entries for ich2 up to ich6 chipset w/c apple's 10.4.8 IOATAFamily lacks. i guess this is

the reason why on Paulicat's blog it is mentioned that if u have ich7 you may not need to replace it.

removing AppleIntel915* and keeping apple's 10.4.8 AppleIntelGMA950* instead would boot successfully to a gui.

except there's no qe/ci. again, so close yet so far away.

didn't have to delete/replace kexts relating to PCCARD,ACPI and APIC. forgot their actual names as the osx laptop

is booted to xp and the wife is using it (it's actually her's :( )

I used JAS 10.4.7 DVD ISO, then JAS 10.4.8 combo with beta9 and then replaced beta9 with exp6

Did the same and only the steps above and everything so far works great here too. :)

Kernel (command: uname -a) reads v8.8.1 Sat Dec 9. With JAS 10.4.8 w/beta9 the kernel read v8.8.1 Tue Dec 5. Thanks to those on irc for allowing me to test exp6!

Edited by launchcontrol