Katana

captainsquash

137 posts in this topic

codestain - Well, if you don't see Callisto.kext and CallistoHAL.kext then it's no wonder that you're having some issues. Try installing Callisto manually by downloading build_003fixed from Omni's website (http://omni.starchaser.org, under archives), use the install guide in the archive to get you off the ground - if you get stuck let me know and I'll lend a hand.

redoxin - I'm not entirely sure what's causing that error, I'll do some research on it (I got it a long time ago but I've since forgotten what caused it). I'm sure it's something ridiculously simple, but I just can't think of it right away - It's been too long, sorry :D

codestain - Well, if you don't see Callisto.kext and CallistoHAL.kext then it's no wonder that you're having some issues. Try installing Callisto manually by downloading build_003fixed from Omni's website (http://omni.starchaser.org, under archives), use the install guide in the archive to get you off the ground - if you get stuck let me know and I'll lend a hand.

omni.starchaser.org has been offline as long as you have....

last time i checked.

xAyiDe - The 'some error' part is kinda important - error messages are there for a reason B)

if you could tell me what it says I could give you some help, otherwise I wouldn't know where to begin

codestain - Yes, it seems omni's website is off the map. I searched my files for any copies of Callisto I had, but unfortunately I couldn't find any - So, I extracted Callisto from Katana and attached it below. It lacks all the other files included in the archive (this is only Callisto.kext and CallistoHAL.kext), but should be exactly the same besides that.

Callisto003.zip

xAyiDe - The 'some error' part is kinda important - error messages are there for a reason :P

if you could tell me what it says I could give you some help, otherwise I wouldn't know where to begin

codestain - Yes, it seems omni's website is off the map. I searched my files for any copies of Callisto I had, but unfortunately I couldn't find any - So, I extracted Callisto from Katana and attached it below. It lacks all the other files included in the archive (this is only Callisto.kext and CallistoHAL.kext), but should be exactly the same besides that.

Thanks for the files captainsquash but I don't know what to do with them! I need step by step instructions cause I'm all new in OSX.. :unsure:

As I said before I already had installed Callisto 008 (I've seen it works with my card in the wiki) and I have a callisto.kext and a callistoHAL.kext in my Extensions folder but in the Graphic card information it sais no kext loaded.

I need instructions ...

http://www.mediafire.com/?centzmemzzn

http://www.mediafire.com/?2nqwdjqxqmm

Installation

The installation is fairly simple, download the zip file, extract and copy the two .kext folders to your /System/Library/Extensions/ folder. Make sure that the permissions on the newly copied folders (recursive, -R) are 755 with root:wheel ownership. Lastly edit the Info.plist file in CallistoHAL.kext/ to match your ATI card's PCI device ID and reboot.

If you do not know what I'm talking about you are truly inapt - go back to Windows and forget the novelty factor of OS X. Else, if you are really desperate to use this driver then do the following:

I have typed this out of my head, so if something is incorrect, let me know, ok?

Download the file to the Desktop (surely you know how to download, no?)

Safari will download and unzip the archive into Callisto_latest.

Start a new terminal window from Applications->Utilities

cd ~/Desktop

cd Callisto_latest or wherever the archive was decompressed.

vi CallistoHAL.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Replace my own PCI device ID with yours under the IOPCIMatch key (4150 is mine...)

Don't tell me you don't know how to use vi? Try nano or Textedit then.

If your DFP monitor is detected as CRT by the driver, you can try to hard-code the EDID string of your monitor. Use the Monitor Asset Manager (or any other way) to retrieve your 128 byte HEX value string. When using MAM, you only need the actual hex values do not include line numbers (00:, 10:, 20:, etc).

Next open the Callisto_latest folder on your desktop, then right mouse click on Callisto.kext and left click on Show Package Contents. Open the Contents folder and there you will see Info.plist.

Double click on Info.plist file and it *should* open in Property List Editor. Click on the arrow next to the Root, then arrow next to the IOKitPersonalities, then next to the CallistoMatch.

You will see a key called MONITOR_TYPE,EDID. Double click on it to edit it and replace the MONITOR_TYPE with DFP so it says DFP,EDID or with CRT,EDID for a CRT screen.

In the value field of the same key replace the hex values there with the ones from your EDID, making sure that the remain on the ends. You will see my original value there, it's the EDID for Apple Cinema Display 20" :unsure:. Once done, save the file with File/Save.

Here's an imaginary EDID string, just so you see how it looks like:

00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 10 AC 19 A0 4C 56 52 31 0D 10 01 03 80 2B 1B 78 EE EE 91 A3 54 4C 99 26 0F 50 54 A5 4B 00 81 80 71 4F 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 7C 2E 90 A0 60 1A 1E 40 30 20 36 00 B2 0E 11 00 00 1A 00 00 00 FF 00 48 46 37 33 30 36 33 52 31 52 56 4C 0A 00 00 00 FC 00 44 45 4C 4C 20 32 30 30 37 57 46 50 0A 00 00 00 FD 00 38 4C 1E 53 0E 00 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 33

It is absolutely important that you do not miss any characters in your EDID string, and that it is exactly 128 bytes long. Also have in mind that the above procedure is ONLY for non-Mobility owners, Mobility owners should not do this, your settings come from the BIOS.

sudo mv Callisto* /System/Library/Extensions/

(enter your password when prompted)

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto*

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto*

We might need to clean up some of the display settings files, so proceed with the following inside the terminal window:

sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.window*

rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.window*

rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.pref*

Also remove any display settings in your com.apple.Boot.plis file, for example:

Graphics Mode

1280x1024x32

This file is in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ folder.

Before you reboot, make sure you remove the Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache, so that system refreshes those and include Callisto:

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

Reboot and hope all goes well.

If it does, you will see your screen's default resolution (whatever that is based on the EDID). Go to your Display Preferences and try changing a resolution in there.

If you do not see new resolutions in Display Preferences, you did not follow the instructions above to the letter or the driver does not work properly on your computer, go back and try again.

When you change the resolution and get a picture, congratulate yourself.

Else, if you get a black screen, don't just click with the mouse like mad. Try using the cursor up and down key to switch between other modes and see if that brings the image back.

If there's no image at all, read the Troubleshooting section for possible solutions. If those fail then the driver does not work for you. Boot into single user mode (that's -s switch in boot prompt) and remove the two KEXT files...sorry it didn't work.

If you mess up your OS, don't blame me, you should've read the F.A.Q. first.

Last update: 06-Jun-06

Hello there again. Unfortunately I can't make OpenGL to work even with your callisto003 files and I don't know why..

I found a little program which checks the OpenGL extensions and it says that I have the latest drivers for my card ..

The only problems are:

No compiled vertex array support

and

No paletted texture support

I've upload it for anyone who wants to use it..

The Report says:

System Info

Mac OS X 10.4.8 (8L2127)

Vendor

Apple Computer, Inc.

2.0 APPLE

Renderer

Apple Software Renderer

Extensions

GL_APPLE_client_storage

GL_APPLE_element_array

GL_APPLE_fence

GL_APPLE_float_pixels

GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range

GL_APPLE_flush_render

GL_APPLE_packed_pixels

GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer

GL_APPLE_specular_vector

GL_APPLE_transform_hint

GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object

GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators

GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422

GL_ARB_depth_texture

GL_ARB_draw_buffers

GL_ARB_fragment_program

GL_ARB_fragment_shader

GL_ARB_imaging

GL_ARB_multisample

GL_ARB_multitexture

GL_ARB_occlusion_query

GL_ARB_point_parameters

GL_ARB_point_sprite

GL_ARB_shader_objects

GL_ARB_shading_language_100

GL_ARB_shadow

GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp

GL_ARB_texture_compression

GL_ARB_texture_cube_map

GL_ARB_texture_env_add

GL_ARB_texture_env_combine

GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar

GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3

GL_ARB_texture_float

GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat

GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two

GL_ARB_texture_rectangle

GL_ARB_transpose_matrix

GL_ARB_vertex_blend

GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object

GL_ARB_vertex_program

GL_ARB_vertex_shader

GL_ARB_window_pos

GL_ATI_separate_stencil

GL_ATI_texture_float

GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once

GL_EXT_abgr

GL_EXT_bgra

GL_EXT_blend_color

GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate

GL_EXT_blend_func_separate

GL_EXT_blend_minmax

GL_EXT_blend_subtract

GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint

GL_EXT_draw_range_elements

GL_EXT_fog_coord

GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters

GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays

GL_EXT_rescale_normal

GL_EXT_secondary_color

GL_EXT_shadow_funcs

GL_EXT_stencil_two_side

GL_EXT_stencil_wrap

GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1

GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc

GL_EXT_texture_env_add

GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias

GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp

GL_EXT_texture_rectangle

GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip

GL_NV_blend_square

GL_NV_light_max_exponent

GL_NV_texgen_reflection

GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap

GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp

GL_SGIS_texture_lod

Core features

v1.1 (100 % - 7/7)

v1.2 (100 % - 8/8)

v1.3 (100 % - 9/9)

v1.4 (100 % - 15/15)

v1.5 (100 % - 3/3)

v2.0 (100 % - 10/10)

v2.1 (0 % - 0/3)

OpenGL driver version check (Current: 2.0 APPLE, Latest known: 2.0 APPLE):

i Latest version of display drivers foundi0 line According the database, you are running the latest display drivers for your video card.

No compiled vertex array support0 line This may cause performance loss in some applications.

No paletted texture support0 line This may cause performance loss in some older applications.

i Multitexture supporti0 line This feature accelerates complex rendering such as lightmaps or environment mapping.

i Secondary color supporti0 line This feature provides an alternate method of coloring specular highlights on polygons.

i S3TC compression supporti0 line This feature improves texture mapping performance in some applications by using lossy compression.

i Texture edge clamp supporti0 line This feature improves texturing quality by adding clamping control to edge texel filtering.

i Vertex program supporti0 line This feature enables a wide variety of effects via flexible vertex programming (equivalent to DX8 Vertex Shader.)

i Fragment program supporti0 line This feature enables a wide variety of effects via per pixel programming (equivalent to DX9 Pixel Shader.)

i Occlusion test supporti0 line This feature provides hardware accelerated culling for objects.

i Point sprite supporti0 line This feature improves performance in some particle systems.

i OpenGL Shading Language supporti0 line This feature enables high level shading language for shaders.

No Frame buffer object support0 line This may break compatibility for applications using render to texture functions.

Extension verification:

GL_APPLE_aux_depth_stencil 0 was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 APPLE 0 line GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object 0 was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 APPLE 0 line GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod 0 was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 APPLE 0 line GL_EXT_texture_sRGB 0 was not found, but is available in driver version 2.0 APPLE 0 line

********************************************************************************

OpenGL_Extensions_Viewer.app.zip

No not all of them, I didn't want my card to explode or something :)

The wiki does say that 008 works with my card..

I think that my system is a little messed up with all the changes, maybe I should reinstall OSX and refix them! :rolleyes:

Like I said before, everybody's got an opinion. Start with 006 then try 008 again. All you really have to do is make sure your id is in callisto kexts, 9700 kexts and CallistoFB in GA kext. That will give you QE/CI, "if it works". Then you can worry about the EDID edit to get res change. There's lots of info on Callisto all over the site.

Here's a good post on editing EDID :)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=274280

• 5 weeks later...

hello,

i have ati radeon 9100L (which is budget version of 8500) card. i tried katana v 0.2c and it worked for me but not really. i was able to change resolution but after that i got black screen and out of range message. i wonder is there any way i can make my card working on higher resolutions or this card is too old to work properly?

and second question what ati card will work for sure on 1600x1200?

my device id is 0x514d.

best regards

pil

• 1 month later...

I ran Katana and it works as far as it removed the left over blocksall over the screen when clicking on something. However it won't restart or reboot without pressing F8, then using -x startup with. Whats goes with this, is there a fix?

I have a Dell inspirion XPS notebook, the 3.4 GHz prcessor yple not the new one. It has a ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 mini pci card in it.

Thanks for any help.

Bill

Ok, I think I have read all the posts well, and of course like everyone else, I have an issue.

I was able to install Callisto b003 and AGPart 2.2 and both are working. I have my resolution running fine at 1400x1050 and my machine says that my graphics adapter is now AGP, so that reassures me that both the pre-mentioned are functioning fine. My issue now is that I still have no opengl, or at least opengl isn't functioning correctly enough to allow me to use VLC with the video outpout set as OpenGL.

I am running JaS 10.4.8(upgraded twice from 10.4.6 JaS).

I have a vaio vgn-a50b with a Radeon Mobility 9200 (5c61). Although QE and CI don't work, I was at least hoping for opengl support so that I could watch videos. I am going through vlc withdrawal(my desktop's mb just pooped out on me, so I am coping with this laptop until I get another mb )

Any suggestions are welcome.

:)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

can u change the AGPGart 2.1 to AGPGart 2.2

i heard this driver already release ,and i hope with AGPGart 2.2 i can enable QE or IC

i can modif by my self the katana 03a4 with AGPGart 2.2?coz katana 03a4 use AGPGart 2.1

im using acer 2001 wlci with ati mobility radeon 9200 64 mb

work with katana 03a4 and its full working ,i can watch film with divx with no problem

thx alot for your work

i'm really sorry about this...

i have been absent from this community for a while now and has once again come back to revist the captiansquash's adventures in katana!

That is, the ATI Radeon 9200 issue with QE/CI...

I dont remember what i did to go thru this but i installed Callisto b008 and have 1280 x 1024 resolution - pretty happy with that.

From what i have read: QE/CI for this card is still no go.

But i remember about enabling 2D or software acceleration for OpenGL....

Can anyone please get me on par on whats going on:

- Is it possible to at least enable 2D or software acceleration for Radeon 9200?

- video playing is choppy - will 2D\software acceleration help this?

- Is 2D\software acceleration slow? Will it run videos slow?

- Is there really any hope for QE/CI for 9200?

Many thanks in advanced!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a x200 video and tried it out. When I rebooted, I had video, but the only difference I noticed was that I was back to 1024x768 (from 1280x768) with no other resolution available. So in short, I'd have to say no, it doesn't work with x200. Make sure you back up your CallistoHAL.kext and Callisto.kext files if you use them, this modifies the Info.plist of CallistoHAL.kext and deletes both when you uninstall this app.

Hey Guys, sorry for again asking stupid Questions, but could anyone please ulpoad the 0.3 build of katana again?? I'd like to try it... i heard it worked with other D600 Radeon 9000.... I tried 0.2 but it freezes boot up, and shows only cursor to move around, but no picture :boxing: typical Graphics error...

Im dying here without any graphics support...screensaver crashes even when im in the control panel... same with VLC and any other Graphics application. Just crash. no error. nothin. Even logging is useless.

kinda silly, i cant even find out whats the problem... i suspect graphics driver of course

• 2 weeks later...