Katana

captainsquash

137 posts in this topic

cdickinson66 - Blech! I got that too on my old hackbook whenever I plugged it into my Samsung 920N LCD. Quite frankly I never bothered to figure out what the culprit was as I rarely used it, and using it in 1024x768 always worked in a pinch. To get back into 1024x768, boot up your hackintosh, when Darwin starts up get into the boot prompt and type "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" or type -x (for the safe boot kernel flag).

When I've got some time and I get my old bucket working again, I can poke around and see whats making my monitor angry, and I'll post my findings.

Just for fun, type "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x16" at startup and tell me if that helps at all. I hope you can get it working!

EDIT: To answer your question, there might be a key combination to switch to 1024x768 at 60Hz, but I'm not aware of any.

dSlifer - Can you please post a link to the thread with this patch? I'd be very interested to see what this patch does.

Edited by captainsquash

Hi there Captainsquash, I have tried your version .3 of katana diag program and it said my system was not compatible. I then tried the .3a4 and it came up with the autodetection successful and showed my device id and vendor id. That is great. I have a pci 9000, on 10.4.8 with 8.8.1 kernel.

Is the next step for me to just run the installer and see what happens?

I have a spare hd I can play with.

Hello,

i have an Ati Radeon 8500 in my system. Installed is tubgirl 10.4.8 with katana 03.a4. katana didnt match my videocard so i registered the ID manually. ID is 0x514c i followed ELpaso's tips to get 1280x1024 @ 75 Hz on my LCD:

Small "how-to":

Install katana 0.3a

Open terminal (sudo -s) and set the vendor id (0x????1002) in CallistoHAL.kext

set permissions:

CODE

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto*

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto*

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext

nano /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext/Contents/info.plist

nano /System/Library/Extensions/CallistoHAL.kext/Contents/info.plist

searched for ???? and put 514c inside.

After that i have this and callisto loads at startup:

-----schnapp---------

Radeon 8500 / 8500LE / ALL-IN-WONDER Radeon 8500:

Chipset Model: Radeon 8500 / 8500LE / ALL-IN-WONDER Radeon 8500

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 64 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x514c

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

--schnapp----

So now i have the resolution, but it is a little bit .. slow while draging windows and so on, could anyone please help me to speed up?

thank you,

bushmills

Edited by bushmills

Guest goodtime

CompaqX1000

http://art5dog.com/Downloads/CompaqX1000.dmg

Radeon9200

http://art5dog.com/Downloads/Radeon9200pack.dmg

Radeon9250

http://art5dog.com/Downloads/R9250DriverPack.dmg

I don't support these anymore, but I am reposting them upon request.

Good Luck and I hope they are still useful to somebody.

YMMV,

gt

Edited by goodtime

even i tried 02c on my notebook. unfortunately it doesn't work too. i can't even install it. during the setup process an error message occurs that there wouldn't be a software to install...

hemzet - Stick with 0.2c if you can - 0.3* are development builds at the moment.

hi I have installed 0.2c and everytime I boot to GUI I get a black screen saying monititor can not display this resolution please switch to 1280x1024 @ 60 hz -the maximum the monitor can display

I have tried "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" but I still get the message if I boot into safe mode it is ok for a short time then if I try to change display resolutions I again get the same message and screen goes black

I am now using 10.4.8 8.8.1 kernel but I will try other versions of callistro

RaduKing you are a savior!

I couldn't find the 9250 drivers and you just so happen to link them! Umm, for those of you with 9200 or the 9250, the Katana didn't work for me, for right now I hope, same thing happened where if I changed the reso it would kill my monitor even if I knew the reso could be run. I installed the 9250 drivers you have linked there and it knows all my available resos and refresh rates. I noticed this time while booting up it mentioned Callisto from OmniStar so I guess it's a build off that.

Then, if you install those drivers, and video is still pretty choppy as it most likely will be, at the beginning of the guide Getting Closer...., which by the way is another amazing guide by CaptainSquash, the part about downloading the JaS patch and then installing with the terminal codes, video will run faster, a lot less chop.

I saw someone installing the Callisto drivers for 9250 and actually got QE/CI but was stuck with the one 1024 resolution, which drivers did you install and could you really get QE/CI? I'd be really interested, as I feel like I'm missing out without QE/CI! Actually, to tell you the truth, I'm not sure if I am or not, I keep assuming not, only because my occasional video chop and how certain programs can't be run.

I really want to apologize for always seeming disorganized, OS X is completely a new world to me, and trying to have it run the first time on non-Apple hardware is probably not the best. I also keep formatting all my drives losing whatever bookmarks I save, now I'm not only emailing everything to myself, but I'm also using Foxymarks to try and always stay updated within Firefox and the bookmarks. Please forgive me, for I am newb :)

Thank you, tommorow i will get a new videocard, hopefully its not to noisy .o) .. one from the evil side .. 7900gt ..o) after 5 years with my radeon 8500 i think i could change, i look also to my Ubuntu Desktop .o) at this time nvidia-cards are maybe easyier to handle? i will see.

Hi All,

As I search for ATI drivers for Mac OS x86 for white boxes.

I came across Captain's previous work "ATI - Getting Closer"

I installed Katana 0.2c and kinda of got it working.

Hardware shows AGP card detected correctly, my Apple Device ID "0x5964"

It's a ATI Radeon 9200 with dual output( DVI + VGA)

My itchy, curious, fearless gutsy brain told my fingers to change the refresh rates from 60MHz to 100Hz (Sony CRT - it supports), have cause my 10.4.6 to load properly BUT once the desktop appears, monitor goes outta of sync

I could not find any quick keys for changing refresh and resolution.

I was able to boot into safe mode, using -x on dawin boot option.

was able to access Mac OS on safe mode, and I check system preference, it shows 1024 x 768 x 32 @ 60MHz, close it reboot, and still get the same thing in normal mode after boot (outta of sync)

I then pop myself in to SHELL mode, and removes files specified in "Uninstall Kanata" script.

remove all the files, and notice because I did not run the "Post Install" script using "sudo -s" mode. I did not sucessfully back up my ATI files, and was unable to recover the missing files.

I then reboot back into safe mode, thinking if I would change the resolution, it would actually write the settings into the OS, and I can boot on a lower resolution to run katana again.

I was wrong, once I did that, it went outta of sync and now I have both safe mode and normal mode outta of sync.

----------------------------------------------

Opps, a bit long winded there,

basically, now after deleting the files I am stuck, and Mac OS does not boot, just hang after detecting Airport drivers.

What can I do? where excally are the files to change the display settings back to VESA?

GREAT JOB Captain! after reading all the threads, you are one hell of a support!

Thanks for starting this too.

Reason for seeking this ATI driver, because iPhoto play back is really slow, just need 2D acceleration.

Just some feedback I guess, tried this with my desktop rig (C2D and X850XT) no luck, script also didnt manage to get the correct ID for the card (5d52 is my card ID). EDIT, I stand corrected seems like the script is finding the ID of my secondary display for the card 5d72...

Also tried this on my laptop which has a Mobility 9700. Fresh install gives me CI/QE but single res. Katana gives me all resolutions but I lose CI/QE.

Its a really nice package though, great for n00bs like me. Thanks for all your hard work!

Edited by fibre_putty