OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,759 posts in this topic

Opencore issue/request for assistance:

On my Gigabyte Z590, I prefer to load Windows via the boot menu (F12).  However, with Opencore, it blocks Windows from that Gigabyte F12 menu until I reset NVRAM.  I would prefer that Opencore not affect the F12 Gigabyte boot menu.  Is there anyway to stop Opencore from doing this?  Or limiting it in some way?

It becomes very difficult to update Windows as each time I do it, I have to reboot, then run the NVRAM clean utility, reboot again and then Windows will show up in the Gigabyte F12 boot menu utility so that I can boot Windows directly from there.

NOTE:  I really don't want to run Windows from Opencore, or it's OpenCanopy menu utility.

Is there to accomplish this so that when I want to boot Windows from the Gigabyte F12 boot menu I can?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by meg2014

Any Body Having Problems Installing Try This:-

Copy The Installer To Another HDD Using Terminal And Run It From There

e.g sudo cp -R The Installer Name  /Volumes/Your HDD

Had Me Stumped For A While,Tried Everything, Made USB Install, Didn't Work

Then I Ran The Installer From That USB And It Worked 😀

Hope This Helps

Yes I know this will be seen as trivial but this bug-bear of mine is back and is driving me to distraction.

After following all the previous tips on how to cure it, it is back with a vengeance since the latest Ventura update and all the previous tips that worked are futile.

Apart from detaching Big Sur and Monterey in my Multi Booting System which I don't want to do, nothin else works.

I would appreciate any helpful viable solution to solve the problem. This was so easy to do when I ran Clover as a Boot Loader but the little I learnt over the years building a Clover EFI Folder I have forgotten.

Plus at my age I am so far down the OC rabbit hole I am afraid to turn back. Please anyone save my sanity.

Spoiler

13114905.thumb.png.6bba11572fe73cde868dbc4450ce95a9.png1507695312_Screenshot2023-05-13at12_45_50.png.ae8e75ac5e0aab22b0916c98f11ddfa2.png

@eSaF

Good afternoon my friend. I think the order of the macOS entries has to do with the order they are attached into the motherboard. Are you sure you have had the desired order in the past with the drives plugged as of now?

26 minutes ago, miliuco said:

Are you sure you have had the desired order in the past with the drives plugged as of now?

Good afternoon Sir, as you know Ventura and Windows are on M.2 Drives and the other two are SSD. I am not worried about Windows as it shows correctly as the last OS at the Boot Menu.

I did consider your option about the order of the other two drives and how they are connect to the motherboard and did swapped around the Sata cables, rebooted, reset Nvram but with no difference to get the previous desired order.

I don't know if playing with the Scan Policy would have a difference but I can't see why that should. I think the best solution at the moment would be to disconnect BS and Monterey and just attached them as needed.

It is a stupid way I know but I just hate the order they are in at the moment until I happen across a better solution. :wallbash:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, miliuco said:

@eSaF

ScanPolicy is not useful for this. 
The order is not alphabetical because Monterey goes before Big Sur.

I have no more ideas 🤔
We must think more deeply about this issue.

Thanks my friend, I will rest the issue for the time being and see what the next release brings.

As it worked perfectly in the prior release, it is a mystery why it won't work again so I will wait and see.

As usual many thanks for your input, much appreciated as always.

• Like 3

Installed 13.4 but something's changed with resolution during startup.

Now, during startup the Apple icon and progress bar, are huge size, not native resolution, then it changes to smaller size then arrive to desktop and all previous session window and placement has not been restored, all windows placed at bottom and under lower bottom of screen.

Apple changed something with display drivers?

or maybe some OpenCore adjustment can fix this??

z490 using built in UHD630 graphics, no dGPU.

Had to restore 13.2.1 from backup to avoid this issue for now.

Edited by draylax
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, draylax said:

Apple changed something with display drivers?

Nothing has changed as far as my Z490 is concerned. Maybe you need to check CSM in BIOS?

If Enabled, try Disabled and see if that fixes the problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, draylax said:

hrm dunno, would the macOS update change that, it's always been off.

fkinell, it was enable..wtf?? hrm

No macOS would not change change the setting, maybe you somehow inadvertently change it while poking around in there

without realising it.???!!!

Edited by eSaF

CSM, I changed without realising, maybe...let's forget about it because it has no effect if its on or off.

Ventura 13.4 screws up resolution on booting, and messes up all window arrangement on desktop, it happened on 13.3 as well and so i went back to 13.2.1, again only iGPU no dGPU. Surprised this hasn't affected others with iGPU only Z490's.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, draylax said:

CSM, I changed without realising, maybe...let's forget about it because it has no effect if its on or off.

Ventura 13.4 screws up resolution on booting, and messes up all window arrangement on desktop, it happened on 13.3 as well and so i went back to 13.2.1, again only iGPU no dGPU. Surprised this hasn't affected others with iGPU only Z490's.

In that case I suspect your Graphics input in the configuration.plist maybe slightly off.

I am running my rig in Headless mode (both UHD 630 and dedicated) have a look at my entry for the iGPU UHD 630 and see if it can help with your glitch.

Spoiler

1429722082_Screenshot2023-05-19at08_50_38.png.a5de0e3fa376e236c5bad9100e02726d.png

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 08.53.32.png

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 08.53.47.png

• Like 6

I'm not headless, iGPU is driving the display. It's an ITX board, the 1 PCIe Slot has a Lynx AES16e PCIe card for audio.

There's no GPU Tab in Activity monitor and no Intel UHD process.

Config hasn't been changed and it's not been an issue until macOS 13.3, 13.4.

20 minutes ago, draylax said:

I'm not headless, iGPU is driving the display.

As far as I know Headless is when you have both iGPU and dGPU in the system but only dGPU drives the graphics whilst the iGPU handles computing.

Did you try the data entries in my example in the 'Dropdown' part of my post?

As far as not having no GPU Tab in Activity Monitor, that can be added by simply running this line in Terminal 'ShowGPUTab -bool true' (without the quotes) then reboot and it should be there.

• Like 3

ah well that answers that about the GPU tab, cool thanks, didn't know about it.

Full command is:

defaults write com.apple.ActivityMonitor ShowGPUTab -bool true

So yea, I got the same read outs as your Intel UHD screenshot, model correct and location Built-In.

And yeah Headless, I got same understanding as you, iGPU is just fro processing encoding, dGPU drives display.

So technically i'm not headless, cos I use the iGPU to drive the display because there isn't a discrete gpu.

Edited by draylax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, draylax said:

Yes sorry I wrote that in a hurry as I am in the middle of other things, so much for multi tasking .......not all it's cracked up to be (not in my case :no:)

• Like 1

Can Someone A Bit More Knowledgable Than Me

Please Take A Look At My EFI, It Just Won't Boot 😂

Thanks In Advance

EFI.zip

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 6:56 AM, draylax said:

ah well that answers that about the GPU tab, cool thanks, didn't know about it.

Full command is:

So yea, I got the same read outs as your Intel UHD screenshot, model correct and location Built-In.

And yeah Headless, I got same understanding as you, iGPU is just fro processing encoding, dGPU drives display.

So technically i'm not headless, cos I use the iGPU to drive the display because there isn't a discrete gpu.

Ah! Super cool!

• Like 1