Catalina on Dell Latitude E6410 (Nvidia Graphics) With Working Sleep

deeveedee

306 posts in this topic

Please include your latest problem report files (gen_debug).

@1337ftw Just to clarify - this guide assumes that you're installing Catalina in apfs container with Legacy BIOS (and Clover Legacy).  Also, I experienced a problem with Microsoft Office before I included Clover boot arg amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1

This stuff can be hard.  Don't get frustrated or lose patience.  I probably have hundreds of hours in the solution for this Latitude E6410.

I removed all arguments, added “amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1” and “-no_compat_check”, and now it works :)

iMessage is not that important as I can just check my phone, so I’m satisfied with my setup now. Just wanted to thank everyone here for being so supportive!

Glad to hear!  You're welcome.  FYI - I just enabled iMessage on my new HackMini8,1 and iMessage worked immediately, so it has nothing to do with whether you installed iMessage with a previous version of macOS.  Not sure why you're having problems but after a quick search, you're not alone.  Let us know when/how you solve it.

I added EFICheckDisabler.kext to my Latitude E6410.  You can get it here.  I don't exactly understand why it's recommended, but it has something to do with privacy and not wanting to send info to Apple.  I installed this kext in /Library/Extensions (using Hackintool), but you should be able to install it in EFI/CLOVER/kext/Others as well.  After you install the kext and reboot, IORegistryExplorer should appear as in the attached screenshot. Instead of seeing EFICheck, you'll see IOService which means that EFICheck is not loaded. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 9.45.18 PM.png

• Like 1

I just upgraded my HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini from 10.15.4 to 10.15.5.  In order to complete the update, I needed to change IntelMausiEthernet.kext to IntelMausi.kext (Rev 1.0.2) here.  I haven't updated my Latitude E6410 yet, but I suspect we'll need to change IntelMausiEthernet.kext to IntelMausi.kext.

• Like 1

First off, thanks for putting together this guide.  It was very helpful getting this off the ground.  My current setup (e6410) is very similar to yours, but my CPU is the i5 version.  

The problem I am running into is I can do the initial load into the system, set it up, add Clover to the SDD, but as soon as I reboot, the new install is not listed in Clover Boot Manager.  I’ve done this twice with the same exact result.  I’ve double checked my BIOS settings and they are identical.  I’ve made sure the Kexts are in the properly places, and the config.plist.  I’ve been at this for a couple of weeks but running into the same wall.  I’ve included the Preboot.log if anyone has time to take a look and let me know what the issue is or what I have done wrong, I’d appreciate it.  I’ve googled this without avail.  Thanks again for any assistance.

preboot.log

Your preboot log suggests that you're running Mojave (10.14.6).  Is that correct?  If so, can you post your Mojave issue in my Mojave thread?

Also, looks like you're running Clover r5116.  I am currently running r5115 and haven't tested with r5116.

I've never looked for the macOS version in preboot log, so maybe the 10.14.6 listed in the preboot log means something else.  Please provide your complete EFI (including config.plist, ACPI, kexts).

*** IMPORTANT When upgrading to Clover r5118 ***

Clover r5118 (possibly r5117) has an architectural change that affects our Latitude E6410s.  The Clover config.plist must include the key below.  Our Latitude E6410s will not boot properly without this new key in the config.plist.  See more details here.  I have confirmed this fix on my laptop and will include it when I post a new EFI for Catalina 10.15.5.

<key>NoDefaultProperties</key>
        <false/>

Edited by tonyx86

I would need your actual EFI to fully debug.  Please try the attached config.plist and let me know if it solves your problem.  The attached file addresses the issue that I just posted here.

If the attached config.plist does not fix your problem, please zip and attach your full EFI to your post.  

config.plist

For those who want to attempt the Catalina 10.15.5 upgrade, here are my upgrade steps:

• Backup your Catalina/Catalina-Data volumes
  • Upgrade Clover on your SSD to r5118 (Legacy - NOT UEFI), following the Clover configuration in Post #1
  • Add the following Properties key to Clover config.plist: <key>NoDefaultProperties</key> <false>.  This config.plist change is already included in the E6410-Catalina.zip archive attached to Post #1.
  • Reboot and confirm that your existing version of Catalina boots with Clover r5118.  If not, resolve the Clover boot issue before proceeding with your Catalina upgrade
  • Before upgrading Catalina, replace IntelMausiEthernet.kext in /L/E and E/C/k/O on your SSD with IntelMausi.kext 1.0.2 here.  IntelMausi.kext is included in the E6410-Catalina.zip archive attached to Post #1.
  • Reboot to confirm that your existing Catalina installation boots and works with IntelMausi.kext. If not, resolve issues before proceeding.
  • Create a Catalina 10.15.5 installer USB using DosDude Catalina Patcher 1.4.4 (or later)
  • Install Clover r5118 on the Catalina 10.15.5 installer USB thumb drive, following the Clover configuration in Post #1.
  • Copy the EFI in E6410-Catalina.zip attached to Post #1 to your USB EFI and copy all kexts from the LE folder in E6410-Catalina.zip to E/C/k/O in the USB EFI.  Be sure to replace ### MASKED ### values in config.plist with your own values.  All of your 3rd-party kexts should be in E/C/k/O on the USB installer.
  • Remove LegacyUSBInjector.kext and SIPManager.kext from the USB /Library/Extensions folder
  • Modify the USB installer's CatalinaPatcherFlags.plist (use Xcode or your preferred plist editor) so that shouldAutoApplyPostInstallPatches and shouldUseAPFSBooter are both NO (default is YES)
  • Boot your Latitude E6410 from the USB thumb drive (press F12 and select USB)
  • At the Clover boot screen, select the Catalina Installer on the USB
  • At the Catalina macOS Utilities screen, select "Reinstall macOS"
  • If the installation aborts with a few minutes remaining (displaying error "An error occurred while preparing the installation") ignore this error
  • Reboot from your USB thumb drive
  • At the Clover boot screen, select the Catalina Installer on your destination drive's Catalina Data volume (NOT the installer on the USB).  The installer will apply the 10.15.5 update.
  • If the Catalina installer displays the error "The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk" - ignore this error
  • Reboot from your USB thumb drive
  • At the Clover boot screen, select the Catalina Installer on the USB (NOT on the Catalina Data volume)
  • At the Catalina macOS Utilities screen, select "macOS Post Install" and click Continue
  • Make sure your upgraded Catalina volume is the destination volume (click Change if necessary) and select ONLY the following patches
    • Install Patch Updater
    • Legacy Video Card Patch
    • Library Validation Disabler Patch
  • Click Apply Patches (the Apply button may be grayed-out - click it anyway)
  • Remove the USB thumb drive, reboot from your SSD and select your upgraded Catalina volume from the Clover boot screen
  • Sign-in with your Apple ID
  • If prompted to re-install any DosDude patches, re-install them but don't restart yet
  • Confirm your macOS version is now 10.15.5 (About This Mac)
  • Add boot-arg amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 to your SSD's config.plist (if not added already)
  • Remove the following kexts from /Library/Extensions (if they exist - they should not exist if you selected only the required patches)
    • LegacyUSBInjector.kext
    • LegacyUSBVideoSupport.kext
    • SIPDisabler.kext
  • Rebuild kextcache (sudo kextcache -i /) and confirm that all 3rd-party kexts are "allowed"
  • Reinstall VoodooHDA.pkg (customize install, selecting only Catalina Classic method)
  • Delete '/System/Volumes/Data/macOS Install Data' (which is left because of the install error)
  • Reboot from your upgraded Catalina Partition
  • Welcome to Catalina 10.15.5

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 11.16.09 PM.png

Edited by tonyx86
Changed DosDude patcher version to 1.4.4 (or later)

Your Windows partition looks like it has an EFI.  Are you booting UEFI?

Did you start your macOS installation by erasing your entire disk and formatting it APFS with GUID partition map (erasing all data / volume / partitions previously stored on the SSD)?

@gatortone After a quick search, I don't see anything wrong with your macOS / Clover install.  If you have two physical drives in your system (with one drive replacing the DVD in the aux bay), remove the aux-bay drive and perform your macOS installation on the primary bay drive.  Start by erasing the drive (using the Disk Utility in the Catalina installer) and formatting it as APFS / GUID.  Make sure your BIOS is configure to boot Legacy (not UEFI).

Thanks for checking.  I am not booting UEFI.  In fact, it was a brand new SSD and doesn’t even have Windows installed on there.  I will start over and try it again. I appreciate you taking the time to look it over.  I’ll report back if I have some success.  Hoping the 3rd time is the charm!

Ok.  We're both guessing at this point.  Make sure your new destination drive is in the primary drive bay.  Erase the entire drive with disk utility in the Catalina installer and format APFS / GUID.  Good luck!

Someone here is still getting "ACPIBatteryManagerWARNING" at the boot? Its annoying...

I was reading from Rehabman that is generally generated from a problem with MaxCapactity, CurrentCapacity is in your DSDT's battery methods, _BST, and _BIF.

I dont imagine how to fix it or if are other versions of the kext that dont stuck for minutes my boot times.

My Optiplex 9020 is already updated to 15.15.5 easily from settings/update.

My Latitude is installing and seems ok until now.

In the same post, Rehabman says that warning doesn't affect boot times.  If you're stuck for minutes at boot, there's probably something else wrong.  Please post your problem reporting files if you want help.  Your config.plist has had other errors in the past, so there may still be errors.  Without your problem reporting files, there's not much we can help with.