Catalina on Dell Latitude E6410 (Nvidia Graphics) With Working Sleep

deeveedee

306 posts in this topic

The most simple as possible (your anterior reply about clover)... identical to your first post. 

I will finish my 10.15.5 on Latitude and will investigate more at the normal (not the installer) boot and will revised my configs.

Thank you.

Nevermind: "When plugged in ac power and fully charged, the ACPIBatteryManager warnings shows off" otherwise not.

Its all nice as possible. So far so good on Latitude Catalina 10.15.5.

But my bluetooth its a bad guy with me.

I will have to see what is wrong in detect devices as a simple airpod or jbl soundbox.

3rd time wasn't the charm...BUT

@tonyx86 While reinstalling it a 4th time, it occurred to me to google "FileVault Hackintosh Catalina" and sure enough, the issues that popped up were the same as mine. So, after not enabling FileVault this time around, I was able to see my boot drive in BCM.  I'll chalk it up to a rookie mistake and if you jotted that down somewhere in the install guides, my bad for overlooking it.  In any case, thanks again for all your help and for this helpful guide.  It has breathed new life in my e6410 that was just sitting around collecting dust. 

• Like 1

Great detective work!  I've never played with FileVault, which is why I never encountered this problem.  Thank  you for finding this.

I enable time machine on only one of my macOS volumes (Catalina).  My Latitude E6410 boots High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina (same EFI).

There are newly released versions of Lilu.kext and IntelMausi.kext.

There is also a supplemental 10.15.5 update.  I'm not in any rush to test this given how quickly a second supplemental update was released for 10.15.4.  If anyone else tries installing the 10.15.5 supplemental update, please let us know what you discover.

There is a new version of http://dosdude1.com/catalina/DosDude Catalina patcher (1.4.4 at the time of this writing) for Catalina 10.15.5.  I don't know for sure, but I suspect that this new patcher is needed because Catalina 10.15.5 installer does an additional check for system compatibility (a check not present in previous macOS installers).  Previous versions of macOS installers checked only the SMBIOS MacModel for compatibly.  Starting with 10.15.5, the installer checks the MacModel AND the Board-ID.  Catalina 10.15.5 will not install if the Board-ID is invalid.  The new DosDude patcher must need to "spoof" the Board-ID in addition to the MacModel to permit the installation to proceed on unsupported systems.

Edited by tonyx86
Added note about new DosDude patcher for 10.15.5
  • Thanks 1

I finished the "forced replace" of the speakers in this machine. Provided from a died Macbook Air.

Guide: https://pt.ifixit.com/Guide/Dell+Latitude+E6510+Speaker+Replacement/120046?lang=en

Level dificult plus (it was not the original ones speakers)

Success after hours of improvised thinking.

Im so happy to hear it again without bluetooth speakers.

This laptop its a war machine. hahaha

photo5093584304432326739.jpg

photo5093584304432326740.jpg

Edited by vbmota
  • Like 1

I had a few minutes of free time, so I applied the Catalina 10.15.5.02 supplemental update.  The install was easy and followed my 10.15.5 installation instructions with one change: Use DosDude Catalina Patcher 1.4.4.

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 4.06.16 PM.png

Edited by tonyx86
  • Thanks 1

I have updated the E6410-Catalina.zip archive attached to Post #1 in this thread with the following updates:

• Lilu.kext updated from 1.4.4 to 1.4.5
  • IntelMausi.kext updated from 1.0.2 to 1.0.3

Re: 10.15.5.02 supplemental update, witch process I do the process if I am on 19F96 version? Creation of dosdude 1.4.4 with installer was done, but I have to reinstall the system or the installation have a simple update option?

I did the "OTA" update and it creates a "Install macos Catalina -data" partition but it didnt update and reboots.

I chose to install with DosDude patcher 1.4.4 and the 10.15.5.02 version of Catalina installer.  OTA updates have not worked for me in the past and I did not try this time.

When you rebooted, did you try selecting the "Install macos Catalina -data" volume from the Clover boot menu?  I have another system (not a Latitude E6410) where I need to reboot from the "Install macos Catalina -data" volume twice in order to fully apply the update.

Try booting a second time from the "Install macos Catalina -data" volume.

Thanks - I clicked the link and requested access.  It would be helpful if you provided the steps to create the USB stick and any E6410 BIOS settings that are required to boot from the USB.  If you found the solution somewhere else, maybe you can provide the link.  Thank you!

Edited by Hervé
Removed unnecessary quote of previous message

I read the guide and will try it.  Maybe for references, you could include this thread, too?

Edited by Hervé

The part that took me the longest to figure out for the E6410 was the ACPI patches.  That's what makes this laptop such a perfect MacBookPro6,2..  The previous attempts by others were incomplete and never got sleep, CPU power management and USB (with sleep) to work properly.  You don't need to include ACPI/origin - it's not required.  You could simplify your guide by simply referencing this thread (including the attached zip file in Post #1) and having just the instructions for creating the UEFI-bootable USB (including the necessary BIOS config).

Edited by Hervé

I've ugraded to CLOVER r5119 and everything is working perfectly.  Slice's CLOVER team is doing a great job with CLOVER updates and fixes.  I'm also using CLOVER on my newest hack (HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini) and it works perfectly on it as well.  I do want to try OC eventually, but I'm in no rush since CLOVER works great and is well supported.

@1337ftw I haven't tried your UEFI USB yet, but if it does install without the Catalina installer errors, I think you've proven the theory here. The CLOVER team is aware of the issue and may attempt to resolve the Catalina install errors when using CLOVER Legacy.  Great detective work! 

• 1 month later...

For those who want to upgrade to Catalina 10.15.6, here are my upgrade steps (virtually identical to installation of 10.15.5):

• Backup your Catalina/Catalina-Data volumes
  • Upgrade Clover on your SSD to r5119 (Legacy - NOT UEFI), following the Clover configuration in Post #1
  • If you haven't already, add the following Properties key to Clover config.plist: <key>NoDefaultProperties</key> <false>.  This config.plist change is already included in the E6410-Catalina.zip archive attached to Post #1.
  • Reboot and confirm that your existing version of Catalina boots with Clover r5119.  If not, resolve the Clover boot issue before proceeding with your Catalina upgrade
  • Before upgrading Catalina, if you haven't already, replace IntelMausiEthernet.kext in /L/E and E/C/k/O on your SSD with IntelMausi.kext 1.0.3 here.  IntelMausi.kext is included in the E6410-Catalina.zip archive attached to Post #1.
  • Reboot to confirm that your existing Catalina installation boots and works with IntelMausi.kext. If not, resolve issues before proceeding.
  • Create a Catalina 10.15.6 installer USB using DosDude Catalina Patcher 1.4.4
  • Install Clover r5119 on the Catalina 10.15.6 installer USB thumb drive, following the Clover configuration in Post #1.
  • Copy the EFI in E6410-Catalina.zip attached to Post #1 to your USB EFI and copy all kexts from the LE folder in E6410-Catalina.zip to E/C/k/O in the USB EFI.  Be sure to replace XX-MASKED-XX values in config.plist with your own values.  All of your 3rd-party kexts should be in E/C/k/O on the USB installer.
  • Remove LegacyUSBInjector.kext and SIPManager.kext from the USB /Library/Extensions folder
  • Modify the USB installer's CatalinaPatcherFlags.plist (use Xcode or your preferred plist editor) so that shouldAutoApplyPostInstallPatches and shouldUseAPFSBooter are both NO (default is YES)
  • Boot your Latitude E6410 from the USB thumb drive (press F12 and select USB)
  • At the Clover boot screen, select the Catalina Installer on the USB
  • At the Catalina macOS Utilities screen, select "Reinstall macOS"
  • If the installation aborts with a few minutes remaining (displaying error "An error occurred while preparing the installation") ignore this error
  • Reboot from your USB thumb drive
  • At the Clover boot screen, select the Catalina Installer on your destination drive's Catalina Data volume (NOT the installer on the USB).  The installer will apply the 10.15.6 update.
  • If the Catalina installer displays the error "The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk" - ignore this error
  • Reboot from your USB thumb drive
  • At the Clover boot screen, select the Catalina Installer on the USB (NOT on the Catalina Data volume)
  • At the Catalina macOS Utilities screen, select "macOS Post Install" and click Continue
  • Make sure your upgraded Catalina volume is the destination volume (click Change if necessary) and select ONLY the following patches
    • Install Patch Updater
    • Legacy Video Card Patch
    • Library Validation Disabler Patch
  • Click Apply Patches (the Apply button may be grayed-out - click it anyway)
  • Remove the USB thumb drive, reboot from your SSD and select your upgraded Catalina volume from the Clover boot screen
  • Sign-in with your Apple ID
  • If prompted to re-install any DosDude patches, re-install them but don't restart yet
  • Confirm your macOS version is now 10.15.6 (About This Mac)
  • Add boot-arg amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 to your SSD's config.plist (if not added already)
  • Remove the following kexts from /Library/Extensions (if they exist)
    • LegacyUSBInjector.kext
    • LegacyUSBVideoSupport.kext
    • SIPDisabler.kext
  • Rebuild kextcache (sudo kextcache -i /) and confirm that all 3rd-party kexts are "allowed"
  • Reinstall VoodooHDA.pkg (customize install, selecting only Catalina Classic method)
  • Delete '/System/Volumes/Data/macOS Install Data' (which is left because of the install error)
  • Reboot from your upgraded Catalina Partition
  • Welcome to Catalina 10.15.6

Screenshot

Spoiler

1805530846_ScreenShot2020-07-16at12_11_46AM.png.eb4ccd7cb9d9762028c83c4e7b4aabe2.png

Edited by tonyx86

There is an update to AirportBrcmFixup.kext (version 2.0.7) here.  I am currently running with this newer version.  Since I did not have any problems with version 2.0.6, I'm not planning to update the E6410-Catalina.zip archive attached to Post #1 until there are other updates that necessitate the change.

EDIT: I am currently running with the same EFI and /Library/Extensions kexts for High Sierra 10.13.6, Mojave 10.14.6 and Catalina 10.15.6.  All three macOSes are working perfectly.

Edited by tonyx86
Added note about 3 macOSes

• 2 weeks later...

A new version of BrcmPatchRam has been released here.  A new version of AirportBrcmFixup has been released here.

I have not yet installed or tested these, so if anyone else wants to test and provide status, that would be great!

Edited by tonyx86

I decided I wanted go try out Big Sur instead of Catalina, so I went on an adventure to get OpenCore running instead of Clover. With the help of the OC Sanity Checker I’ve gotten as far as Clover gets in UEFI mode inside OC. So the installer boots but the installed OS reboots at the end of the boot process. I think the problem lies inside the ACPI patches. Could you tell me a bit more about how you created them? Maybe I could get them to work on OC and/or Clover UEFI...