Help Me Get OS X ON PS3

mdawg4624

115 posts in this topic

::Update::

I got Fedora Core 6 installed and runnin bout an hour ago. (I'd play around with it, but its time to go to the bars. =) So now that I've done that its time to see what else will install. I got the darwin 801.cdr.gz and i'll try to see if i can get that to be my next bootloader. Thanks for all the help so far. I'll keep you posted.

Now to figure out what to do with my second ps3. BTW hemi, that wasn't me in the video, but nice try.

• 2 weeks later...

What up from Cali. This is my first time posting, but not the first time reading through all of this. Just a little short history on me, involving x86 w/OSX. Myself and 2 others were amongst the first ten people in the world, on the original OSx86, to get OSX to run on non PPC architecture natively. We were amongst the first to do x86 and x64 machines. Not to mention, I personally got it to run on machines as old as SSE and SSE2 machines. So, though Im new to the post, dont come at me like Im new to all the technical {censored}.

With that said, I re-registerred for one reason only.... I am here to get OS X on PS3 and I don't care about or care to hear from any of you "nothing-better-to-do" internet nerds with nothing postive to share. I'm sure most of you have seen the image below (the attcahed file) and the sane people out there would agree with me on the point it makes.

post-69311-1166305297_thumb.jpg

Now that, that is out of the way I can begin getting down to business. I personally have been having problems loading various forms of OSX onto my PS3. I have tried almost everything I know to try, excluding a couple processes that I need help from a friend of mine whom I consider a Linux Guru. The only problem is that this person has an unpredictable schedule; as do I. This is the main reason I'm back to this website. I need help from anyone out there tha has an extensive knowledge base about Linux and all OS's associated with it.

Forget all the BS people out there with no lives and no one to talk to who constantly post on this site for slim hope of actually feeling some human contact. All you duesh bags out there that fall into th category that I just described please walk single file off the cliff to your left and the rest of us might not have to commit suicide. All the people that want to contribute please stick around and keep up the hacks.

Here is a link to a detailed explanation about the Cell Architecture. http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cell/Cell1_v2.html . I have more info and links on this issue available, but not at my immediated disposal. I will get back to all of you soon enough and post more links that may help us out.

Later on Don! G's up, Ho's down! And all yall OSX hackn haters that aint down for the cause, are the Ho's!

Have you been able to examine a dump of the Open Firmware from a G5? Is it even possible to dump the firmware to examine? I've never used a powerpc mac nor have a PS3, but want to help.

After reading your links, we would have to modify the altivec binaries for the ps3 and maybe emulate some of the instructions removed, right?

why don't you concentrate on getting darwin running on the PS3 first and THEN get os x running from that. darwin will be far easier to get working than os x. i think you should get the base working THEN figure out getting the extras from os x running. plus you will probably have to modify the kernel to run on the ps3 hardware anyway.

Dragon

Thanks Dragon, but this too I have been trying as well. It is imperative to run Darwin first, but just well enough so that I can modify kernels to recognize the PPC Cell CPU architecture. However, I have not even been able to get that far yet. If I was able to do so I would have already posted instructions on how to do so; so we can all benefit from this and move on with this heinous project. As the few of you know that had to deal with OS X on x86/x64 before there were any bootloaders and install screens, getting the basics to run is the biggest challenge. Everything after that is a matter of tweaking.

It's only a matter of time, but OS X will be on PS3.

It would be helpful if any Apple Developers were to jump on this because they usually have something good to contribute. Seeing how they have access to all sorts of developer tools and pre-release products they would most likely have something good to contribute. If I had the thousands a year or whatever to be a Apple Developer I would, but that's just not fiscally possible.

To all you old school peeps out there that still keep in contact with some of the original heads on the x86 website; please contact these people to see what they can do. Especially contact the developers. I know there use to be a few on the site, but that was hella long ago.

Get Crackn!

For all those interested that don't already know about MOL check this out!!! MOL is Mac-on-Linux and may help this project take a step in the right direction. Go to this link, http://www.maconlinux.org/download.html , download MOL, read all info needed, and get crackn.

Anybody that wishes to jump on this that isn't quite that knowledgeable about Darwin may do so and obtain additional information about darwin by going to this link, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_%28operating_system%29 . Wikipedia is the best damn webiste ever.

Once you have baisc understanding of Darwin you should begin to focus on one of he main things Darwin is built around, the XNU hybrid kernel. Here are some XNU information links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XNU , (link for how to build XNU) http://www.opendarwin.org/~jpm/xnu.html , (good general darwin info) http://www.opendarwin.org/ , (XNU info) http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_xnu.html , (OS X Apple firmware info) http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_boot.html , and there are many more links I could put own, but this is enough for now.

XNU uses FreeBSD (BSD). Any body familiar with FreeBSD (BSD) that is interested in helping out please do so.

If there is anyone out there that has the MOL kernel modules already built as a binary please hook it up because I am unable to locate my old copy and barely have enough time as it is to mess with my PS3 and work on this project. :P

Edited by MACINTOSHposh

Well, there are several thing, that must be done:

1. VMX-128 on Cell only partially compatible with Altivec.

2. New busses with PS3 coming, so you maybe must rewrite some part of IOKit to make DMA stuff works on PS3.

3. OpenFirmware of course.

4. Driver for PS3 SATA controller.

5. Unnecessary, but w/o driver for nV RSX MacOS on PS is almost useless.

Cell, w/o special optimization for SPU, have the same speed like G4 running at ~1.4 (see GeekBench test).

Thanks for the input DaemonES. I already knew much of what youu said, but the rest I was unsure about. However, it doesn't matter what I know. What matters is that the community knows this info as a whole. For the sake of the community I would like to ask that all participants in this project please include links to some of the info they speak of (if not already posted) so that everybody, no matter how knowledgeable on the subject matter, can participate and help get this project moving.

For all of you that don't already know, check out this link, http://ps3scene.com/ . It was made by the same people that brought us xboxscene.com . This site is full of everything from technical & cosmetic {censored} to politics on the subject matter. This site doen't have too much hack attempt info in it yet, but like its counterpart, it will have more than you want on that issue soon enough. Its definitely a good site to check sometimes.

DaemonES, do you own a PS3?

Oh, and Mash... the thread has been clean for a few days now. I think all the clowns joined the circus and skipped town. I haven't heard from any condescending people for a quick minute now.

P.S.

(totally of topic)

Mash, do you know if the smiley face animations are simple gif files. I'm sure they were made as gif's, but what are they concidered now? And if I make some can I transform them to be used in my postings with whatever file extension that is needed? :)

i want to help but i dont have a PS3.Im already trying it on my 360 tho.

hope you get this working .

just one advise you will get more people to help you if you where more tolerant.(Macintoshposh)

Edited by Zealot

Just goes to show how much the PS3 really sucks. No one actually wants to use it. They only want to sell it or hack it! I'm going for the Wii. Who's with me?

what i want to do is use the wii remote as my mouse, wonder if thats possible

Just goes to show how much the PS3 really sucks. No one actually wants to use it. They only want to sell it or hack it! I'm going for the Wii. Who's with me?

high five. ps3 sucks!! (at least for gaming) search ps3 on google video and click on the one with the ugly girl and the hot chick.