macOS Unlocker V3.0 for VMware Workstation

102 posts in this topic

Verision 3 of the macOS Unlocker for VMware Workstation and Player. Supports versions:

• Workstation 11/12/14/15 on Windows and Linux
  • Workstation Player 7/12/14/15 on Windows and Linux

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/963-macos-unlocker-v30-for-vmware-workstation/

https://github.com/DrDonk/unlocker/releases/download/3.0.2/unlocker302.zip

https://github.com/DrDonk/unlocker/

readme.txt

Edited by Donk
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 7

One of the great things about this place is that I can always check in when a new version of Workstation drops, knowing that Donk has already updated the Unlocker to work with it. You don't get enough credit, man. Thank you. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For some reason certain AV tools are reporting a Trojan in the Windows executables. This is a known issue with PyInstaller's bootstrap program with AV tools. Even just submitting the bootstrap exe, run.exe, to VirusTotal show an issue.

I am not sure there is anything I can do apart from remove the Windows executables and insist on Python being installed.

Edited by Donk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Intel NUC i7 DNHE (latest BIOS) - 32GB memory - 512GB m.2 NVMe SSD, 2TB SATA HDD - generic display 27" 1920x1080
Linux Mint 19.1 'Tessa' - VMware Workstation 14 Pro (14.1.2 build-8497320) - Unlocker 3.0.2 - macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

I'd like to report a success - except I was unable to install VMware Tools (error msg: "could not find component on update server") - so I cannot get max possible display resolution (currently stuck at 1024x768) - please advise on fixing this problem (how to install VMware Tools properly), or point me in the right direction.

UPDATE: it seems I managed to install VMware Tools (mounted darvin.iso), restarting to test...success!!!

Thank you Donk, the Unlocker 3.0.2 works without a hitch, feels solid and reliable (I will keep testing, will update if there's anything to report).

Attached image - Geenbench test results (for comparison, iMac 2013 i5 Geekbench: single-core 4134 and multi-core 12267)

highsierra-on-i7 nuc.jpg

Edited by alnilam
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 12:54 PM, BWR said:

Unlocker is no longer showing up on github. Has this been removed or moved to a new project?

Ouch! :( Hope nothing bad happened here? Donk, please let us know.

On 1/24/2019 at 4:04 AM, Naki said:

Ouch! :( Hope nothing bad happened here? Donk, please let us know.

I came here for this, I was just checking to see if there were any updated versions, and the project is gone on his GitHub. @Donk did you stop the project? Please let us know!

• Thanks 1

I was a dumb ass and accidentally made it private. I use my account for my consulting work, and just worked my way through a bunch of repos making them private. Sorry about that.

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2019 at 7:44 PM, Donk said:

I was a dumb ass and accidentally made it private. I use my account for my consulting work, and just worked my way through a bunch of repos making them private. Sorry about that.

Great, thanks for the heads-up. We thought something very bad happened to you or the Tools for a few hours/days. :) 

• 2 months later...

I need some advice to repair my VMware situation.  Late in 2018 I started playing around with the Mac OS, mainly just to see what it is like....  I've got 1/2 dozen VMs on my laptop - Xp, 7, 10, Linux and Mac OS.  Now I admit that back in 2018 I didn't read much about the unlocker tool.  I was following a bulleted list, and it just worked.  Fast forward to a month ago, and I made the mistake of upgrading my licensed VMware Workstation 14.5 to 14.6.  This promptly nuked my Mac OS VM; all of the others boot normally.  The Mac just cycles through boot attempts.

In a brilliant brain cramp, I figured that I just needed to go get the latest unlocker.  So I did, ran it, still no joy.  Following a recovery document, I configured my machine to boot a recovery ISO.  At this point, I'm figuring that something got hosed in the Mac OS image.  This won't even boot.  Okay, obviously something is wrong with VMWare.  At this point, I've made so many changes I've made a mess.  So, I finally read the readme.txt (yes, poking fun at myself) and come across: "Always uninstall the previous version of the Unlocker before using a new version. Failure to do this could render VMware unusable. "  Well bless my soul, I'll bet my Mac OS is fine, and I just f'd up VMware.  I'm almost certain of it.

So, any suggested recovery options?  It seems to me that I've got a mismash of the VMWare installation, and I need to:

1. Uninstall unlocker.
  2. Uninstall VMWare Workstation.
  3. Re-install VMWare Workstation.
  4. Using the latest unlocker, install the Mac OS support.

Anybody with experience in this conundrum, I'm all ears.

Note to future readers - don't upgrade VMWare Workstation if it isn't broke :)

• Like 1

Well, I'll respond to my own post - it's back.  Recommendations if you plan to upgrade VMWare:

1. Uninstall unlocker - whatever you installed.
  2. Allow VMWare to update.
  3. Re-install latest unlocker.

The doc is correct, if you don't uninstall unlocker, VMWare is going to be left in a hosed condition.  Interestingly, I received some gripes about some kernel add-ins being blocked.

One last thought - don't ask for help on VMWare.... whooo boy did I get shredded.  Since I have a mini-mac on my desktop, I thought I was reasonably righteous in terms of the VM.  Nope.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Never had to uninstall Unlocker. Always reinstalled it after a VMware Workstation new version update, yes. :)
And I also recently learned to Shut down all macOS VMs too, then update VMware Workstation from older to newer version, to avoid possible VMs failure issues.

(no issues like this with my 2 Windows VMs on that PC, so those I just leave as is - i.e. Saved/on Standby).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anybody success with unlocker on VMware Workstation 15.1 ?   previous versions worked flawlessly, but with this version it seems not to unlock vmware (tried to boot old vms and also to install new vms - not even the install options for macos show up, which worked before)

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, alucard21212 said:

Anybody success with unlocker on VMware Workstation 15.1 ?   previous versions worked flawlessly, but with this version it seems not to unlock vmware (tried to boot old vms and also to install new vms - not even the install options for macos show up, which worked before)

Did you shutdown the VMs before updating VMware Workstation and running Unlocker?
I got issues with this if all VMs are not fully shut-down. Maybe you could be running into same issue? :) 

EDIT: For the record, I am not using 15.1 yet, only the older one(s) (I have VMware Workstation on several PCs here).

Edited by Naki

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 1:22 PM, alucard21212 said:

Hi, yes, it works fine.

I was stuck with windows 10 1903 setup (vmware workstation 15.0.2 not compatible)

I dit it this way :

[Unlocker 207] win-uninstall.cmd ran as admin (because I used 207 at that time) > [VMware] check update, found 15.1.0, upgrade > [VMware] start Mojave it crashes after a few seconds and it's ok ^^ > Exit VMware > Check VMware not running > [Unlocker 302] win-install ran as admin > finished > [VMware] start Mojave 10.14.6 beta 1 o/ it works both on my workstation and laptop.

Windows 10 1903 setup still waiting in the background > Refresh > Ok now, upgrading Windows 10... Ty Donk :)

Edited by Filougarou
Ha ! 1st msg since 2014... ^^ Still using unlocker ;p
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 2:22 PM, alucard21212 said:

Had the time to update now, VMware Workstation version 15.1 works fine for me on my HP workstation laptop. :)

Edited by Naki

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SlayerX99 said:

After installing this I got hit with a ransomware attack, GREAT JOB {censored}

What!? Has no viruses inside. You got the virus someplace else, OR maybe downloaded macOS Unlocker from a third-party malware website.

Always download it from the official link(s), not elsewhere.

Edited by Naki

• 1 month later...

Hi forum,

lately I updated Windows 7 to Windows 10. During the update, the installer forced me to uninstall VMware Workstation 15.

Running Windows 10, I installed VMware Workstation 15 and changed the *.exe files and the *dll with my patched ones.

Linux and Windows vms run fine, exept my MACOS Mojave vm. it seems to be bricked. Its been paused, but doesn't run anymore.

Even older copies of it dont work either.

Possible causes anybody ? pls help, I love swift.

Does shutdown VM, then power back on work?

IF you did not run the macOS Unlocker, please do (latest version).

EDIT: Do NOT replace any files manually this way. Use Unlocker instead.

Edited by Naki
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thefish2010 said:

My mac VM is caught in an endless loop at startup on 15.1.  I ran unlocker 3.02, it did no good.  I have run win-uninstall and win-install just to see if that would help, but nothing did.  Anybody have a suggestion?

What is your Host OS? Did this VM work fine before? IF so, what changed?
Such as new Windows Updates installed, and/or new Windows 10 OS version, or maybe move to a newer version of VMware Workstation (such as you moved from 15.0.2 or 15.0.3 to 15.1/etc)?

Was this VM in a shut down, or Saved/Suspended state?

As a rule, always a good idea to fully shutdown all macOS VMs before doing a major change such as Windows 10 version upgrade, or VMware Workstation version update/etc.

Usually, if you have Linux and Windows VMs too, you can leave those running/Suspended, no need to shut those down.

Then if/once your macOS VM(s) work(s), you can then not shut it down and just suspend it as usual. :)

Edited by Naki