macOS Unlocker V3.0 for VMware Workstation

102 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, BDisp said:

There is no straight way to see in github what fork is working well. We must see in pull requests and read the comments information about the their commits and in case is working well and the owner hasn't merged it yet we open his fork and download it.

Yeah I actually took the time to open each fork of the repo to see which one had the changes that were posted, but I did not find it on any branches in any of them. That's not to say that I didn't just miss it.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, waltersd said:

I just tried to upgrade VM Workstation to version 15.5 and it appears as though Unlocker 3.0.2 does not work on that version.  Anyone else had this issue?

Yes. Take a look at this thread. There are some fixes posted. 

• Like 1

Has any one managed to make it run on workstation 15.5 with ryzen 3xxx?

The workaround below only works for version 15

smc.version = "0"
cpuid.0.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:1011"
cpuid.0.ebx = "0111:0101:0110:1110:0110:0101:0100:0111"
cpuid.0.ecx = "0110:1100:0110:0101:0111:0100:0110:1110"
cpuid.0.edx = "0100:1001:0110:0101:0110:1110:0110:1001"
cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:0111:0001"
cpuid.1.ebx = "0000:0010:0000:0001:0000:1000:0000:0000"
cpuid.1.ecx = "1000:0010:1001:1000:0010:0010:0000:0011"
cpuid.1.edx = "0000:1111:1010:1011:1111:1011:1111:1111"
featureCompat.enable = "FALSE"

and

virtualHW.version = "10"

• Like 1

Reporting my results from upgrading my VM to macOS 10.15 "Catalina" on VMware Workstation 15.5.

I upgraded in-place.  OS selection is still broken in VMware Workstation so I just edited the VMX file, changing guestOS = "darwin19-64", after the upgrade was done (just in case VMware has any behavior change to make things work better with this new version of the OS).

Afterwards I had to reinstall VMware Tools.  I don't remember having to do that with past upgrades.  Before I reinstalled VMware Tools, the guest VM was stuck at 1024x768 and mouse integration did not work, but installing the tools again fixed it all up.

The main thing that I use the VM for these days is a (really heavy) iMessage client, and that functionality is still working.

Like Aaron, I upgraded my VM in place as well.  I had been running VM Workstation 14.1, so when I saw the "Upgrade to Catalina" option, I had this insane notion, sure why not?

Face palm.  So my "mac" was dead for a bit.  Earlier in this thread, I had killed my mac before when I upgraded VM Workstation, so it never occurred to me that the OS update would kill it again.  Silly me.  Catalina downloaded, applied some stuff and on reboot bricked.  Hmmm.

After some minor hyperventilating, this site indicated I needed the latest 15.x Workstation, so I upgraded it, re-applied the unlocker, went back into VM Workstation, and the upgrade completed successfully.  This is without making any changes to the guest OS, etc.

13 hours ago, alexnt said:

Seems that I m stuck with v15 due to ryzen cpu. I also cloned mojave and upgraded to catalina but version 15 cannot run it. It needs version 15.5

Instead of cloning Mojave you can download Catalina. See how at https://techsviewer.com/how-to-install-macos-10-15-catalina-on-vmware-on-windows-pc/ and in step 8 do not switch to Windows 10. Check my comments. John rejected my comment there and misleads many with the distress of not being able to install

Edited by BDisp

1 hour ago, 3pils said:

@Donk Will there be a new version of unlocker?

@Donk-- I am interested in this too. Do you plan to fix your own Unlocker for latest server changes VMware did? If so, is there any approximate ETA for this, please?

Please note not only VMware Workstation 15.5 is broken - older versions are too, such as 15.1.

I did not check with 15.0.3, 15.0.2, but I assume they may fail likewise, due to the server/Tools download changes VMware did. :(

Edited by Naki

20 hours ago, Naki said:

@Donk-- I am interested in this too. Do you plan to fix your own Unlocker for latest server changes VMware did? If so, is there any approximate ETA for this, please?

Please note not only VMware Workstation 15.5 is broken - older versions are too, such as 15.1.

I did not check with 15.0.3, 15.0.2, but I assume they may fail likewise, due to the server/Tools download changes VMware did. :(

Download the unlocker from here https://github.com/paolo-projects/unlocker/releases/tag/3.0.3

• Like 1

I am planning to get back to the unlocker. I've been working on a work contract and so it's had to take a back seat. I have appointed another maintainer on github who is an ex-colleague of mine.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ewok666 said:

Is this supposed to fix OSX with 15.5? I ran the patch, all went well, no errors but it still fails to start my existing images. As always, the suspended ones work fine and after a reboot it's a no go. 

Did you reinstall the VMware tools in the macOS guest? Do you have smc.version = "0" configured in the vmx file?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BDisp said:

Did you reinstall the VMware tools in the macOS guest? Do you have smc.version = "0" configured in the vmx file?

Yes to the smc setting. Never got to the VMware tools. However, I eventually cloned and rebooted my other OSX image and it is fine on this version. I assume the first one just got otherwise messed up with all the reboots/crashes after upgrading to 15.5 and prior to unlocker 3.0.3.

All good now. Thanks for your help

• Like 2

Hi Donk,

I am using VM Ware Worstation 15 Pro in Windows 10 Pro X64.  I absentmindedly installed Version 2 of your Unlocker. I forgot to uninstall it first before I Installed Unlocker 3.0.2. As you predicted my VM Ware15 Pro is rendered unusable. Worst is I don't even remember which version or Unlocker 2 I installed. Do you have any recommendation for me to rectify from the hole that i dug. 

My idea is downloadall your Unlockers, run win-uninstall of all of the unlockers & hope the correct one will uninstall the unlocker version that I forgot to uninstall first. Would you recommend I do that? Will it work. Thank you very much for your kind attention.

Best regards, 

• Like 1

Phil88, I am not Donk, but I suggest you do a Repair of your VMware Workstation 15.x installation. You can do this from Control Panel -- Programs and Features.

Then, you need to use the modified Unlocker that is NOT from Donk, which was given in this same thread here, a bit above - Donk's latest one *does not* properly work for now, as VMware changed their VMware Tools website downloads format (file type) to a big compressed file, instead of directly downloadable, single small ISO file. The latest VMware Tools Darwin ISO file is inside the compressed file now - the compressed file size is 522 MB. :) 

So, the modified Unlocker somebody here has made takes this new change into account and downloads the whole large archive (compressed) file, then decompresses just the needed VMware Tools ISO from it to put into correct location in VMware Workstation installation folder.

Due to this the modified Unlocker is also slower than the versions from Donk, but is not too slow, you just need to wait a few minutes for the download & decompressing to happen. :)

Edited by Naki
CORRECTION - same thread, not another one.
  • Like 2

From previous post "VMware changed their VMware Tools website downloads format (file type) to a big compressed file, instead of directly downloadable, single small ISO file."

FYI VMware are aware the tools are missing and the Fusion Product Manager is following it up. https://communities.vmware.com/thread/619357

The current core download is the entire Fusion app. If you need the tools I suggest logging into the VMware website and go here https://www.vmware.com/go/tools.

If VMware does not reinstate the tools only download I will setup a mirror with tools only as I see no reason to download 500MB for 16MB of tools. At this point I'm not going to update the getools.py until I get an answer from VMware.

Edited by Donk
  • Like 1

In my use, this was of course noticeably slower, but still fast enough to use. :)

As mentioned, it is only done once per new VMware Workstation version release anyway.

Not using anything fancy here - LAN Internet at 80 MBit at my place, and 100 MBit on my other remote PC/location.

We have folks/cities in my country (Bulgaria) on 1000 MBit Internet already. :)

Edited by Naki