AMD RX580 or ?

SavageAUS

42 posts in this topic

Ok so I’m getting tired of waiting for nvidia to release drivers for macOS so I’m debating on picking up a Gigabyte RX580 8gb Gaming for AU$399. Will this work oob with high Sierra and Mojave? I already use WEG and Lilu. Will I see a performance gain from my current 4gb gtx960?

1 hour ago, SavageAUS said:

Ok so I’m getting tired of waiting for nvidia to release drivers for macOS so I’m debating on picking up a Gigabyte RX580 8gb Gaming for AU$399. Will this work oob with high Sierra and Mojave? I already use WEG and Lilu. Will I see a performance gain from my current 4gb gtx960?

The best choice would be the brands that Apple has introduced when they announced the support of eGPU in macOS 10.13.4 like Sapphire because the model ID is present in the macOS's drivers, however you can make any other GPU to work using WEG, RadeonDeInit or using a SSDT or patching the DSDT.

I have two ASUS GPUs (RX 560 and RX 580) they perform ok but sometimes they will produce a reddish artifact on the menu bar specially when thy go under load so I suggest you stay away from Asus.

Sapphire and PowerColor are the best choices in my view.

About Gigabyte I'm not sure though I remember there were some issues with Gigabyte as well not sure though.

check the documentation on 10.13.4 release for more info.

The best choice would be the brands that Apple has introduced when they announced the support of eGPU in macOS 10.13.4 like Sapphire because the model ID is present in the macOS's drivers, however you can make any other GPU to work using WEG, RadeonDeInit or using a SSDT or patching the DSDT.

I have two ASUS GPUs (RX 560 and RX 580) they perform ok but sometimes they will produce a reddish artifact on the menu bar specially when thy go under load so I suggest you stay away from Asus.

About Gigabyte I'm not sure though I remember there were some issues with Gigabyte as well not sure though.
check the documentation on 10.13.4 release for more info.

So one of these would be better?
http://www.msy.com.au/amd/19052-sapphire-11265-01-20g-8gb-rx-580-nitro-oc-pci-e-vga-card.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

Do you think it’s worth the upgrade from the 960?

Yes! definitely!

You'll have a better performance and no more waiting for nVidia Web Drivers, no more lags or other web driver related issues.

You can easily install and update the new macOS versions as they get release.

• Like 1

Yes! definitely!
You'll have a better performance and no more waiting for nVidia Web Drivers, no more lags or other web driver related issues.
You can easily install and update the new macOS versions as they get release.

That’s what I like to hear. I have already picked it up along with a fractal define R5 case for my home server to be transplanted into.

1 hour ago, SavageAUS said:

So much better, removed nvidia drivers, shut down, swapped cards and booted up. Instantly detected without any edit and fully woking in Mojave and High Sierra.

Congrats man!

You save yourself from many unnecessary headaches and troubles!

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2018 at 7:59 AM, Cyberdevs said:

I have no "reddish artifacts on the menu bar" when using an ASUS rx570 4G, so I do not agree about your comment on Asus..   Also, it is recognised perfectly without any change, no special kexts, working OOB.   You can find RX570-4G at less than 200€... 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2018 at 4:02 AM, SavageAUS said:

So much better, removed nvidia drivers, shut down, swapped cards and booted up. Instantly detected without any edit and fully woking in Mojave and High Sierra.

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 5.30.02 pm.png

I made the same change. Came from a GTX970 and went to the RX580 8GB model. Using the Gigabyte Auros model. No issues at all. Love it. Attached is something to try with your card. This kext changes your RX580 to an AMDRadeonPro. Which is what's in the iMacPro. Allows for full support for H264 and H265:) Just add the kext in Clover/Kexts/Other.

I cant claim any credit for this kext. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 4.32.52 PM.png

AMDRadeonPro.kext.zip

Edited by tikizondo94
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tikizondo94 said:

I made the same change. Came from a GTX970 and went to the RX580 8GB model. Using the Gigabyte Auros model. No issues at all. Love it. Attached is something to try with your card. This kext changes your RX580 to an AMDRadeonPro. Which is what's in the iMacPro. Allows for full support for H264 and H265:) Just add the kext in Clover/Kexts/Other.

I cant claim any credit for this kext. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 4.32.52 PM.png

AMDRadeonPro.kext.zip

With this kext do you get the bright white flash on bootup? between first and second stage?

2 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

With this kext do you get the bright white flash on bootup? between first and second stage?

Not that i have noticed? Im running dual monitors so the apple logo starts on my main monitor than switches to my second monitor, then my screens both come into the OS. 

Not that i have noticed? Im running dual monitors so the apple logo starts on my main monitor than switches to my second monitor, then my screens both come into the OS. 

I’ll give it a try when I get home. S/L/E or Clover -> kexts?

Never mind you said it before. EFI it is.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 6:42 PM, SavageAUS said:

I’ll give it a try when I get home. S/L/E or Clover -> kexts?

Never mind you said it before. EFI it is.

I've made some more progress with getting hevc and h.264 working with our rx580s. 
-Try the attached text in Clover/Kexts/Other. 

-Remove the above AMDRadeonPro.kext
-Clear all caches and repair permissions.
-Disable your iGPU in BIOS. 
I've got Netflix working in safari again, and HEVC and H.264 encode/decode working and reporting in IOregistry. 
(I claim no credit for this kext) 

AMDRadeonEllesmereGVA.kext.zip

Edited by tikizondo94
  • Like 1

Hello friends, I take this thread for a doubt I have, I have an Nvidia 1060 6gb and I am tired of waiting for the webdrivers to mojave, I will definitely sell my graphics and I was thinking about the RX Vega 56 8Gb, what do you think about this model? ? I understand that it would work without problems in a native way, someone with this model that can tell me if it is a good buy ?, the rx580 model works perfectly but I think it is inferior to the rx56 correct me if I'm wrong. Greetings to all.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 3:21 PM, tikizondo94 said:

I've made some more progress with getting hevc and h.264 working with our rx580s. 
-Try the attached text in Clover/Kexts/Other. 

-Remove the above AMDRadeonPro.kext
-Clear all caches and repair permissions.
-Disable your iGPU in BIOS. 
I've got Netflix working in safari again, and HEVC and H.264 encode/decode working and reporting in IOregistry. 
(I claim no credit for this kext) 

AMDRadeonEllesmereGVA.kext.zip

would it be possible for you to attached your EFI-folder. I cannot get the radeonpro.kext to load and show any difference nor do I get HEVC/H264 to work in either encode or decode with the AMDRadeonEllesmereGVA.kext. I am on 10.14.2 with rx580 nitro+ flashed to native card 113-4E353BU-O4E.

53 minutes ago, xAyiDe said:

would it be possible for you to attached your EFI-folder. I cannot get the radeonpro.kext to load and show any difference nor do I get HEVC/H264 to work in either encode or decode with the AMDRadeonEllesmereGVA.kext. I am on 10.14.2 with rx580 nitro+ flashed to native card 113-4E353BU-O4E.

This is my current clover im using. Im currently setup using Intel Qsync with my RX 580. "iGPU enabled in BIOS and using a headless connector ID". Now, when i have Qsync enabled i cannot view Netflix in safari. Only when i disable my iGPU in BIOS and using only my RX580 can i view DRM content in safari. 

CLOVER.zip

What was the reason to flash the card? Mine is the same 8Gb version and works oob. If I use the radeonpro kext it’s shows as a Radeon pro. Haven’t tested h264 or the new kext yet.

5 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

What was the reason to flash the card? Mine is the same 8Gb version and works oob. If I use the radeonpro kext it’s shows as a Radeon pro. Haven’t tested h264 or the new kext yet.

The reason was that I wanted to have the right orinoco framebuffer without edits. So I added the right BIOS serial/Partnumber but still it wouldnt give the right amount of ports so the edit was of no use actualy. I still need to inject orinoco and 5 ports to get it to work with 4-5 screens and sleepmode.

7 hours ago, tikizondo94 said:

This is my current clover im using. Im currently setup using Intel Qsync with my RX 580. "iGPU enabled in BIOS and using a headless connector ID". Now, when i have Qsync enabled i cannot view Netflix in safari. Only when i disable my iGPU in BIOS and using only my RX580 can i view DRM content in safari. 

CLOVER.zip

Aha, that must be it. I have no iGPU. Forgott to add my signature with my build but I have Xeon E5 so no iGpu. I guess thats what makes this a bit harder with HEVC/H264.

7 hours ago, tikizondo94 said:

CLOVER.zip

** Off topic

NvmExpressDxe - i dont think this is needed anymore?

EFICheckDisabler - What is this for?

2 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

** Off topic

NvmExpressDxe - i dont think this is needed anymore?

EFICheckDisabler - What is this for?

Yeah your right, I probably dont need NvmExpressDxe anymore. Its been in there since Sierra. 

EfiCheckDisabler is just for precaution. I probably dont need it anymore either lol. 

• 2 weeks later...

Till now I have done lots of setting, edit config, adding whatevergreen and lilu kext still I cant fix hardware encoding on FCP, Premier Pro are Getting Very poor Performance on AMD RX 580. Even Enable both dGPU & iGPU same issues No hardware encoding. In IGPU HD 4000 QS encoding works Fine. I have attached my EFI Please check whether that settings are wrong and help me How to fix it ? will be more appreciate. 1069435404_Screenshot2019-01-18at8_02_59PM.thumb.png.40305994ca960cd0a54e267a5a19b882.png

1850096181_Screenshot2019-01-22at12_17_51AM.thumb.png.763ef74ac16a219b4292ca18a74670a2.png

My system:-
OS MOJAVE 10.14.2
Z77 with i7 3770k
16G RAM
SAPPHIRE Pulse RX 580 8GB (PEG) Primary Display
HD4000 Secondary Display.

EFI.zip