Alienware 15 R3 on OS X 10.12.6

rongu

154 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

Computer:

Dell Alienware 15 r3, i7-7700HQ/Intel Kaby Lake rev. 05, BIOS 1.0.9, Intel® HD Graphics 630/

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (1920x1080) G-SYNC Panel 16GB RAM, Clover UEFI

Working:

- Discrete GPU GTX 1070 (WebDriver-378.05.05.25f01, NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext)

- i7-7700HQ Power Management (ssdt.aml | HWP | freqvector script)

- Keyboard and Trackpad not complete yet, complement with Karabiner-Elements-11.0.0 (ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext) VoodooPS2Controller.kext

- Audio ALC298-13 (ALC298_Alienware.zip)

- Gigabit Lan (AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext)

- Wifi & Bluetooth (swap card BCM94352Z)

- Auto/Timer/Sleep, Wake

- NVMe 960EVO M.2 SSD (use HackrNVMeFamily.kext, patch_nvme.sh --spoof option)

- NVME Toshiba M.2 SSD (convert to 4K LBA, use smartool under ubuntu)

- USB2/3, USB3 type C

- Mini-display port to display port

- HDMI port Video only

Not Working:

- Intel iGPU 630 HD (due to g-sync feature, display from iGPU not possible, but can be make use during video playback for quicksync)

- Display brightness (work around use Shades)

Patch Applied - dsdt.aml:

- "Fix _WAK Arg0 v2"
- "HPET Fix"

- "SMBUS Fix"

- "IRQ Fix"

- "RTC Fix"

- "OS Check Fix"

- "Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel"

Using 'Hot Patch" and SSDT injections (https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config/tree/master/hotpatch)

Summary and outstanding issues:

- For some reason voodooTCSync.kext is required to prevent KP.

- Mouse cursor invisible upon booting up, right click to show.

- Audio no sound output if the process of sleep is interrupted.

- Seems to have problems in my kernel logs, can anybody help?

* kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) ACPI Error:

* Namespace lookup failure, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS

- Working on HDMI audio, can anybody help ?

Others:

- Managed to install Serria 10.12.6 on Alienware 13r3/17r4 as above.

- Include native screen brightness control and key mapping, due to non-gsync config. (RehabMan's Patching DSDT/SSDT for LAPTOP back light control)

- DGPU can be disable for extended battery life,

Note: I have very limited knowledge about computer and hackintosh, so please comment

if any.

Credits:

- http://www.insanelymac.com

- Piker-Alpha, superb knowledge, scripts and ...

- RehabMan, superb knowledge, documentation, scripts and ...

- Cat Woman, gigabit lan driver ...

- Macmerc, audio driver ...

- And those I may have miss out ...

- Me, for :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Amazing stuff Xela.  I'm now on High Sierra 10.13.3 with Alienware 15R3 7700HQ 1070 G-sync.

The great news is that my Sierra audio fix still works (Macmerc with InsanelyDeepak), also WIFI (AirPortBrcm4360), and both 1070 and HD630 report as Metal supported.  I'm using smbios iMac 18,3 because I kept getting Nvidia black screen problems otherwise.

So, wifi, audio, and both GPUS are working (and apparently sleep/wake so far).

Steam VR works great with no lag with HTC Vive.  I'm now trying to get VR output working in FCPX.

FCPX seems to be working ok, but if I click "output to VR monitor" I suddenly get like 1 fps in HMD and my video sticks and lags badly in VR.  If I uncheck that my Steam VR goes back to normal full speed.

So, I suspect it's because HEVC is not really getting activated (not the same thing as getting Metal working.)

Also, my system fails the VDADecoderChecker test, same error you had with 1070.

I'd love to get it working!  Should I just shamelessly rob your dsdt and ssdt's and see if that helps?

Also, a side question. I noticed you crossed out using VoodooTscSync.kext.  Did you get 15r3 working without that kext and without cpus=1?

You got me inspired that these problems can be solved!  Let me know what you think.

On that laptop, there's no Nvidia HDMI Audio device => HDAU is managed by IGPU.

So it appears there's no hope to have HDMI audio with the 1070.  Out-of-the-box solution is to just get an HDMI audio inserter (search for "Monoprice Blackbird 4k Series HDMI audio inserter)  if I really need to send something with audio to an external screen.

or just use USB->HDMI (search fav online store "USB HDMI") to output a presentation or something.

Alienware 13 R3 with OS X 10.12.6 ESP Update 2018-0109-00

The following kexts were updated:

- AppleALC.kext

- FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext

- FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext (unnecessary)

- FakePCIID.kext

- IntelGraphicsFixup.kext

- Lilu.kext

- NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

Video Hardware Encoding added

- Install shiki.kext with boot argument: shikigva=60 (https://github.com/vit9696/Shiki/issues/12)

Audio:

- Audio layout change to 11 (13 no longer work with latest AppleALC.kext for some reason) and install alc_fix. If audio does

not work consistently using ssdt injection, try installing HDAEnabler11.kext & remove injection in config.plist.

Power Management:

- HWP Value = 0x80003801 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/321021-guide-hwpintel-speed-shift-enable-with-full-power-management/page-4)

- OR install injector-freqVectorsEdit.sh

- LPC id added for Alienware13 & 15 into SSDT-LPC.aml

Outstanding issues: Can anybody help ?

- Graphics glitch on external display after wake from sleep (only on GTX 1060, 1070 is good)

- HDMI/Mini DisplayPort audio

Notes:

- Special Thanks to pure.wisdom for pointing out my errors and helping this little alien closer to macbookpro.

- Credits and thanks to those people in the community who developed patches, kexts, scripts and bootloaders!

Piker-Alpha,  RehabMan, Mieze,  Macmerc, Netkas and many more !!!

Just a follow up.  The aw13r3_ESP 2018-0109-00.zip you posted fully boots on High Sierra 10.3.3 WITH the following changes.

Need to shut off fast boot or it locks up halfway and you don't know why.

SMBIOS MacBookPro14,3 causes black screen on HS.  (cause of above problem).  So, change to iMac18,3 or other.

Audio change to inject 13.  (Previous audio fix works again on HS.)

HEVC not working.  I'll try change ig-platform-id to 59120003.

• Like 2

So it appears there's no hope to have HDMI audio with the 1070.  Out-of-the-box solution is to just get an HDMI audio inserter (search for "Monoprice Blackbird 4k Series HDMI audio inserter)  if I really need to send something with audio to an external screen.

or just use USB->HDMI (search fav online store "USB HDMI") to output a presentation or something.

On Pascal GPUs, there's no support for HDAudio through HDMI. Only DP works.

If HDAU is managed by IGPU, you should make it work.

Amazing stuff Xela.  I'm now on High Sierra 10.13.3 with Alienware 15R3 7700HQ 1070 G-sync.

The great news is that my Sierra audio fix still works (Macmerc with InsanelyDeepak), also WIFI (AirPortBrcm4360), and both 1070 and HD630 report as Metal supported.  I'm using smbios iMac 18,3 because I kept getting Nvidia black screen problems otherwise.

So, wifi, audio, and both GPUS are working (and apparently sleep/wake so far).

Steam VR works great with no lag with HTC Vive.  I'm now trying to get VR output working in FCPX.

FCPX seems to be working ok, but if I click "output to VR monitor" I suddenly get like 1 fps in HMD and my video sticks and lags badly in VR.  If I uncheck that my Steam VR goes back to normal full speed.

So, I suspect it's because HEVC is not really getting activated (not the same thing as getting Metal working.)

Also, my system fails the VDADecoderChecker test, same error you had with 1070.

I'd love to get it working!  Should I just shamelessly rob your dsdt and ssdt's and see if that helps?

Also, a side question. I noticed you crossed out using VoodooTscSync.kext.  Did you get 15r3 working without that kext and without cpus=1?

You got me inspired that these problems can be solved!  Let me know what you think.

Oops ! VoodooTscSync.kext cancellation was a mistake, I still need it. I think all the remaining issues can be resolve, just need more system expert help and time.

Time is something I am lacking due to work, just got back yesterday.

In my case aw15r3 VDADecoderChecker test failed likely due IGPU initialization, so I think changing to my dsdt & ssdt is not going to help, also the dsdt is pretty much standard, all patches are now done on the fly.

I also believe brightness on aw15r3 G-SYNC model can be fix, (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/323010-please-help-me-fix-brightness-control-nvidia-graphics-only-laptop/)  I just do not have the skill and knowledge to comprehend their solution. I'll try again later.

Just a follow up.  The aw13r3_ESP 2018-0109-00.zip you posted fully boots on High Sierra 10.3.3 WITH the following changes.

Need to shut off fast boot or it locks up halfway and you don't know why.

SMBIOS MacBookPro14,3 causes black screen on HS.  (cause of above problem).  So, change to iMac18,3 or other.

Audio change to inject 13.  (Previous audio fix works again on HS.)

HEVC not working.  I'll try change ig-platform-id to 59120003.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I 'll be posting my lastest aw13r3 ESP soon with some minor bug fix

Hi guys. I'm the proud owner of an Alienware 15 r3, 7700hq with a 1070 gsync card. I'd love to be able to install Sierra (or High Sierra) but so far, I can't even get the installer usb to get past the apple logo / progress bar. Should I be able to boot into the installer by simply using one of the posted clover.zip files copied into my efi/clover folder?

Hi guys. I'm the proud owner of an Alienware 15 r3, 7700hq with a 1070 gsync card. I'd love to be able to install Sierra (or High Sierra) but so far, I can't even get the installer usb to get past the apple logo / progress bar. Should I be able to boot into the installer by simply using one of the posted clover.zip files copied into my efi/clover folder?

On Serria, try installing with cpus=1, nv_disable=1 and maxmem=4096 kernel boot flag. I continued using this flags until all driver are in. In my case for all aw13/15/17 series they need VoodooTSCSync.kext else KP when you remove cpus=1.

I have not try HS yet but successful install had been reported.

• Like 1

Thanks @xela

I finally manage to boot into the installer yesterday, but couldn't do anything as the trackpad and keyboard didn't work.  I'll try again tonight with external keyboard and mouse and the flags you suggested.

Are the files posted here (clover.zip, ioreg, etc) required for initial boot or just for the final clover install on the hard drive once the system is up?

Thanks @xela

I finally manage to boot into the installer yesterday, but couldn't do anything as the trackpad and keyboard didn't work.  I'll try again tonight with external keyboard and mouse and the flags you suggested.

Are the files posted here (clover.zip, ioreg, etc) required for initial boot or just for the final clover install on the hard drive once the system is up?

The file posted here are for running serria but it should work with installation also ( i done it before).

• Like 1

@xela, I'd like to thank you!  I have pretty much everything working thanks to you!  I need to order a new Wifi card (anything supported out of the box?), but everything else appears fine.  

Actually, one thing, when the OS goes to sleep, it doesn't seem to come back up when I move the mouse/trackpad, or press the keyboard.  Is this expected?  I need to press the power button to wake it up.

Alienware 15 R3 (G-SYNC 1070) with OS X 10.12.6 ESP Update 2018-0228-00

Changes:

* Fix reboot when shutting down with USB hub or device connected.

* Wifi patch to Global (#a), I travel a lot.

Thanks again Xela, and happy traveling.  I'm using the 15R3 so I'm now trying your latest attached files.  Also, I CAN make HEVC activate, but once I do FCPX crashes immediately upon launch.  So, I'm still trying to figure out why.  

I enable HEVC by putting 0x59128086 into Devices IntelGFX, and putting 0x59120003 into ig-platform-id.  I do NOT inject Intel (should I?)  Also, Nvidia is installed.  These settings give me both HD630 Metal enabled and Nvidia Metal enabled, and HEVC.  

But FCPX crashed on launch.  So frustrating.  

Anyway, if anyone has any tips on getting HEVC and Steam VR working in FCPX, please let me know.

(Just to reiterate.  I currently have Steam VR working in High Sierra, no lag, on my GTX1070.  But as soon as I tell FCPX to output to VR Monitor it goes to something like 1 fps and has huge hitches in tracking.  And, I can only get that far if I disable HEVC.

• Like 2

@xela, I'd like to thank you!  I have pretty much everything working thanks to you!  I need to order a new Wifi card (anything supported out of the box?), but everything else appears fine.  

Actually, one thing, when the OS goes to sleep, it doesn't seem to come back up when I move the mouse/trackpad, or press the keyboard.  Is this expected?  I need to press the power button to wake it up.

My systems need to wake up via power button too, same as in windows 10 ?

Thanks again Xela, and happy traveling.  I'm using the 15R3 so I'm now trying your latest attached files.  Also, I CAN make HEVC activate, but once I do FCPX crashes immediately upon launch.  So, I'm still trying to figure out why.  

I enable HEVC by putting 0x59128086 into Devices IntelGFX, and putting 0x59120003 into ig-platform-id.  I do NOT inject Intel (should I?)  Also, Nvidia is installed.  These settings give me both HD630 Metal enabled and Nvidia Metal enabled, and HEVC.  

But FCPX crashed on launch.  So frustrating.  

Anyway, if anyone has any tips on getting HEVC and Steam VR working in FCPX, please let me know.

(Just to reiterate.  I currently have Steam VR working in High Sierra, no lag, on my GTX1070.  But as soon as I tell FCPX to output to VR Monitor it goes to something like 1 fps and has huge hitches in tracking.  And, I can only get that far if I disable HEVC.

I had the same issue also and understand it due to quick-sync not working on iGPU , will keep you posted if I have any advances.

My systems need to wake up via power button too, same as in windows 10 ?

Hmmm, ok.  Nice to see it's not something I've done wrong.  I'll look into it, In Windows 10 I can wake it with the mouse or keyboard.

On 2018-02-28 at 6:55 AM, xela said:

Alienware 15 R3 (G-SYNC 1070) with OS X 10.12.6 ESP Update 2018-0228-00

Changes:

* Fix reboot when shutting down with USB hub or device connected.

* Wifi patch to Global (#a), I travel a lot.

aw15r3_ESP 2018-0228-00.zip

Is it just me or is the file 0 bytes?  Probably related to the forum upgrade, but the zip file is empty when I download it.  Would you mind reposting @xela

On 3/12/2018 at 6:38 AM, HomerJ said:

Is it just me or is the file 0 bytes?  Probably related to the forum upgrade, but the zip file is empty when I download it.  Would you mind reposting @xela

Sorry I can't upload either, maybe the upgrade still in progress but I'll  re-post later. For the brightness you can try shades for osx but is not a good solution. you can check out this thread (https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/forums/topic/323010-please-help-me-fix-brightness-control-nvidia-graphics-only-laptop/)

I will try to fix the brightness when time permit.

Edited by xela

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2018 at 9:48 PM, TPNxl said:

Hi @xela and @pure.wisdom,

I own an Alienware 17 R4 with a 7820HK and GTX 1080; do you think all of the tweaks for the 15 R3 will work on my computer or are there a few tweaks I need to make?

Thanks,

TPNxl

If you are referring to those updates, I find them necessary. For aw17r4, you need to customized SSDT-UIAC.aml matches your USB ports, I find the rest seem to be the same across  aw13/15/17 except for g-sync model using nvidia driver is a must.

Edited by xela

On 3/12/2018 at 8:30 AM, xela said:

Sorry I can't upload either, maybe the upgrade still in progress but I'll  re-post later. For the brightness you can try shades for osx but is not a good solution. you can check out this thread (https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/forums/topic/323010-please-help-me-fix-brightness-control-nvidia-graphics-only-laptop/)

I will try to fix the brightness when time permit.

The brightness can't use with edp display

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @xela,

I finally got around to making the install disk using ##### and the High Sierra installer (as well as just plain Clover), but no matter what I do, it does not show up as a bootable device on my Alienware 17 R4. I have tried both USB2 and USB3 drives, and I have set my BIOS to Legacy mode with UEFI support and Legacy Option ROMs enabled. I've also disabled VT-d and changed my drive operation mode to ACPI. Any dice?

Thanks,

TPNxl

Edited by TPNxl

46 minutes ago, HomerJ said:

Is your USB key formatted as GUID?  Did you disable Secure Boot?

It was formatted as MBR and Secure Boot was disabled, but I fixed it by updating [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to 8.3.2. Seems like there was a Clover bug. Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

PS: Sorry for using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]