Alienware 15 R3 on OS X 10.12.6

rongu

154 posts in this topic

Xela, do you have any updates?  Also, could you post your latest EFI folder for AW15R3?

I'm working on fixing my display brightness but it's very difficult.  First problem I think is internal display is mis-identified as DP connection.  But IORegistryExplorer doesn't let me see which connector each port is using.

Edited by MacMerlin

On 2/18/2018 at 1:36 AM, foskvs said:

On Pascal GPUs, there's no support for HDAudio through HDMI. Only DP works.

If HDAU is managed by IGPU, you should make it work.

Any idea how to get DP audio working?  I could use DP to HDMI adapter and get HDMI audio that way?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 12:58 PM, MacMerlin said:

This is great,, thank you very much.  I'm working on adapting it to High Sierra.

any progress in High Sierra? i'm trying 10.13.5 with my a15r3 GTX1070 intel 530 4K UHD, but my nvidia isn't detected i already tried a lot of guides/kexts with not results, any advice?

On 5/24/2018 at 5:02 AM, MacMerlin said:

Xela, do you have any updates?  Also, could you post your latest EFI folder for AW15R3?

I'm working on fixing my display brightness but it's very difficult.  First problem I think is internal display is mis-identified as DP connection.  But IORegistryExplorer doesn't let me see which connector each port is using.

Alienware ESP 2018-0626-00 for High Serria 10.13.5.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsg1dhfamadpucr/AW15r3 ESP 2018-0626-00.zip?dl=0

Changes:

- Nvida AGPM added

- Apple FaceTime HD added 

- Various System kexts and patches updated

- (GVA) Hardware acceleration is fully supported

- SSDT-LPC.aml & SSDT-UIAC-X edited for Alienware 13/15 & 17 series

Edited by xela

On 6/25/2018 at 9:53 AM, xela said:

ESP 2018-0625-00 for High Serria 10.13.5.

Changes:

- Nvida AGPM added

- SSDT-LPC.aml & SSDT-UIAC edited for Alienware 13/15 & 17 series, https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjcjn5okcu56hl6/additional SSDTs.zip?dl=0

Thanks, I was able to enter to the system using the config.plis that you attached but when I installed the Nvidia web drivers and reboot my computer is stucked on gIOScreenLockState 3 error running in verbose mode

what's the configuration that you guys are using on your r3 bios?

Also my screen is flickering and have slow performance running intel graphics.

Graphics
GTX 1070 - not working

Intel 530 - slow performance

Kexts included in the @xela post are working fine, even keyboard/trackpad/audio

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WMxBxbyy5eHd4Om842rLDu1wlUbBzjZ-/view?usp=sharing

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 11.32.21 PM.png

Thanks, I was able to enter to the system using the config.plis that you attached but when I installed the Nvidia web drivers and reboot my computer is stucked on gIOScreenLockState 3 error running in verbose mode

- Try to enable nvda_drv=1 and "disablegfxfirmware" under clover boot section.

- The version of clover install ? I am running version 4428 and 4444.

Bios 1.0.9

Graphics
GTX 1070 - not working

You probaly need a patched IOKit framework and DVMT-prealloc set to 96MB or 128MB in BIOS, there are guides for QHD+UHD display. Google " QHD/UHD osx86".

Edited by xela

On 6/25/2018 at 6:53 AM, xela said:

Alienware ESP 2018-0626-00 for High Serria 10.13.5.

Changes:

- Nvida AGPM added

- SSDT-LPC.aml & SSDT-UIAC-X edited for Alienware 13/15 & 17 series

Are you able to boot A15R3 on High Sierra 10.3.5 with SMBIOS of MacBookPro 14,3?  I have to use iMac18,3 or I get black screen.  Have you found a way around this?

On 6/29/2018 at 9:38 AM, MacMerlin said:

Are you able to boot A15R3 on High Sierra 10.3.5 with SMBIOS of MacBookPro 14,3?  I have to use iMac18,3 or I get black screen.  Have you found a way around this?

I am still using smbios MacbookPro 14,3 on OS X 10.13.5 (also 10.3.6 beta 4). Did an upgrade by downloading OS X 10.13.5 Installer from Apps Store and let the machine do the rest, for about 20 mins. I think 10.13.5 resolved those black screen you experienced.

Any luck on brightness control ?

Edited by xela

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2018 at 3:27 AM, xela said:

I am still using smbios MacbookPro 14,3 on OS X 10.13.5 (also 10.3.6 beta 4). Did an upgrade by downloading OS X 10.13.5 Installer from Apps Store and let the machine do the rest, for about 20 mins. I think 10.13.5 resolved those black screen you experienced.

Any luck on brightness control ?

In this moment is possible instal HS with Nvidia Graphics? im using Sierra 10.12.6, I followed your post, but I wanna try update to HS (P.D im not able to do a correct Post Installation, im booting from USB, can you help me?)

2 hours ago, ist4arik said:

In this moment is possible instal HS with Nvidia Graphics? im using Sierra 10.12.6, I followed your post, but I wanna try update to HS (P.D im not able to do a correct Post Installation, im booting from USB, can you help me?)

After downloading the 10.13 installer, QUIT instead of running it.

Open Terminal and type (to make sure there is no APFS)

/Applications/"Install macOS High Sierra.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO --agreetolicense

I remembered having issue updating on USB drive too, instead I upgrade on the system drive after backing up.

On 6/27/2018 at 1:37 AM, luisrene88 said:

Graphics
GTX 1070 - not working

Kexts included in the @xela post are working fine, even keyboard/trackpad/audio

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WMxBxbyy5eHd4Om842rLDu1wlUbBzjZ-/view?usp=sharing

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 11.32.21 PM.png

Holaluisrene, me pordrias decir como instalaste HS? me imagino tienes una alienware 15 r3, como te esta funcionando, pudiste solucionar los problemas que tenias al momento de publicar esto?

1 hour ago, IST4RIK said:

Holaluisrene, me pordrias decir como instalaste HS? me imagino tienes una alienware 15 r3, como te esta funcionando, pudiste solucionar los problemas que tenias al momento de publicar esto?

I believe you wrote in Spanish,  I started from 10.12.6 (see post 1) and did an update to 10.13.5 (see previous post). My Alien-ware 15R3 is running fine other than no brightness control. Post your ioreg & clover folder see if I can help.

Edited by xela

5 hours ago, xela said:

I believe you wrote in Spanish,  I started from 10.12.6 (see post 1) and did an update to 10.13.5 (see previous post). My Alien-ware 15R3 is running fine other than no brightness control. Post your ioreg & clover folder see if I can help.

yeah o wrote in spanish, im now in 10.12.6, i wanna update, mi EFI folder is the same you posted at 26-06-2018, I put mi IOreg yet and my refi folder is exactly this https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsg1dhfamadpucr/AW15r3 ESP 2018-0626-00.zip?dl=0

IST4RIK.ioreg

Edited by IST4RIK
I can upload my ioreg

8 hours ago, IST4RIK said:

yeah o wrote in spanish, im now in 10.12.6, i wanna update, mi EFI folder is the same you posted at 26-06-2018, I put mi IOreg yet and my refi folder is exactly this https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsg1dhfamadpucr/AW15r3 ESP 2018-0626-00.zip?dl=0

IST4RIK.ioreg

Remove SSDT-DDGPU from the patch folder, that should fix your nvidia (drivers too) and video out from hdmi and dvi. Post your system specs as detail as possible.

21 minutes ago, xela said:

Remove SSDT-DDGPU from the patch folder, that should fix your nvidia (drivers too) and video out from hdmi and dvi. Post your system specs as detail as possible.

I have the same alienware as you 15 r3 i7 7700HQ 16 GB Ram DDR4 and GTX 1070

5 minutes ago, IST4RIK said:

Yes, with G-Sync, but im not sure for Upgrade to HS, i have a Tp-Link WN823N and i dont know if it will work in HS, dou youknwo about the function of this device in HS?

I never use Tp-Link WN823N. Best to understand your system with 10.12.6 for the time being, backup before your upgrade to H.S.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xela said:

I never use Tp-Link WN823N. Best to understand your system with 10.12.6 for the time being, backup before your upgrade to H.S.

Actually I have 1 extra partition to install macOS and one of my macOS from work, I wanna try HS,  How do you recommend installing it, clean it from the USB or install Sierra and Update?

Have got recovery partition created ? HS install error 'resource not found' if you don't have Recovery HD. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to create. Whatever you do, backup first. I would recommend an upgrade instead of a fresh install.

BTW HS 10.13.6 run much better on my system compare to serria, mostly bug fixes.

Edited by xela

50 minutes ago, xela said:

Have got recovery partition created ? HS install error 'resource not found' if you don't have Recovery HD. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to create. Whatever you do, backup first. I would recommend an upgrade instead of a fresh install.

BTW HS 10.13.6 run much better on my system compare to serria, mostly bug fixes.

Yeah I have recovery partition, I will install and update immediately, thanks for your help I hope it works well as you mentioned 

@IST4RIK yes i'm running 10.3.6 (right now is broken) without hardware aceleration, intel HD 530 is working but with bad performance
i tried to update to 10.3.6 but after reboot to continue the instalation i'm getting an error, i'll try again this week, your screen is 4k? what is the integrated intel?

no vi tu mensaje antes estaba ocupado por trabajo, sorry for the spanish message guys just making feel the community here :D 

@xela i'm running with 1.3.0 bios

14 minutes ago, luisrene88 said:

@IST4RIK yes i'm running 10.3.6 (right now is broken) without hardware aceleration, intel HD 530 is working but with bad performance
i tried to update to 10.3.6 but after reboot to continue the instalation i'm getting an error, i'll try again this week, your screen is 4k? what is the integrated intel?

no vi tu mensaje antes estaba ocupado por trabajo, sorry for the spanish message guys just making feel the community here :D 

@xela i'm running with 1.3.0 bios

my screen is FHD, integrated intel is Intel HD graphics 630, but i have G-Sync and the discrete graphics are desactivated