AMD High Sierra Kernel Release and Testing

1,119 posts in this topic

In Sierra with my RX 480 sleep only worked in version 12.6 after the last Bronya kernel release for 12.6. When using the older kernel in Sierra 12.6 sleep didn’t work but it did in the previous versions 12.4, 12.5 etc. using the original older kernel(s). Sierra 12.6 had some major changes to the AMD graphics kexts so it probably needed a kernel to match for it to operate correctly. I know once that last Sierra kernel came out I was real happy with the improved performance and functionality.

High Sierra 13.2 beta 6 works with Bronya’s HS 17.0 kernel but no sleep wake function for my RX 480 and RX Vega 64. Nvidia gt210 sleep function works in High Sierra for me, I will test my R7 265 to see if it works. Bronya’s HS kernel was released very early so it’s based on the HS 17.0 kernel which has evolved into 17.3 now. If you use older kexts which some people do for their cards to work like Fury X there is a limit as to how far back you can go before they stop being compatible with the newer versions.

bbmatias3 didn’t you have sleep working in 13.1? But with the same configuration once you were in 13.2 it stopped working, is that correct?

My amd a10/with 8500gt has no sleep/resume issue on 10.12.6 using shanee's kernel,,waiting for bronya's and shanee's kernel base on 10.13.2 hoping they got fixed the sleep/resume issue,,

My amd a10/with 8500gt has no sleep/resume issue on 10.12.6 using shanee's kernel,,waiting for bronya's and shanee's kernel base on 10.13.2 hoping they got fixed the sleep/resume issue,,

My GT210 works great for sleep in HS 13.2 its the Radeon RX cards that are sleep deprived,lol!    

• Like 1

Yes, up to now (17C85a).

Need testing for 17C88.

Confirmed that it's still working at 17C88 without blank screen/sleep/wake-up issues.

But it may reboot on wake-up unexpectedly.

The major bug in FX-6300 hackintosh is loss of Firefox/Safari browser function since updated to 10.13.2 beta1 or higher. Only Google Chrome is working at present.

No such a bug in 1700X hackintosh at  10.13.2 (17C85a or 17C88).

High Sierra Beta 13.3 ver.1 enabled HDMI audio on My RX Vega card.   No VoodooHDA or other fixes needed.    Its always worked on my Intel systems but Never on my Ryzen, this is cool.

any progress with sleep?

my monitor speakers were enabled by the newest what ever green 

High Sierra Beta 13.3 ver.1 enabled HDMI audio on My RX Vega card.   No VoodooHDA or other fixes needed.    Its always worked on my Intel systems but Never on my Ryzen, this is cool.

Thats strange. Normally the HDMI functionality is a part of the GPU and is not affected what CPU you are using (Intel or AMD)

By the way, is there a fix for non Working Adobe Products that crashes on start? I use a 1950x Threadripper. Many things are working, but performance ist still far behind of Intel CPUs and the "Workflow" is a little like "stuttering". 

Greets

Thats strange. Normally the HDMI functionality is a part of the GPU and is not affected what CPU you are using (Intel or AMD)

By the way, is there a fix for non Working Adobe Products that crashes on start? I use a 1950x Threadripper. Many things are working, but performance ist still far behind of Intel CPUs and the "Workflow" is a little like "stuttering". 

Greets

I think it lies in the CPU and kernel layout.    On an intel system if you use a dsdt editor you have terminologies for your PCI-0 slot that many change to GFX1 for example, if you try it with a Ryzen CPU it doesn't work it reports as IOMM instead of GFX1.    All the guides for dsdt editing are for Intel systems and when I try those same fixes for RYZEN it results in unknown results or terminologies.   

I was able to get GFX1 for my Risen by changing my System definition to iMac 18.2 without editing the dsdt.    

I know the iMac 19.1 was or is being used by some. It depends on your motherboard setup and audio, Ethernet, USB ports etc...

What works well for one may not work as well for others. It's best to experiment to find what opens up your system and gives the best results. By using the iMac definition my audio linked with my pcie slot without any major work.

I know the iMac 19.1 was or is being used by some. It depends on your motherboard setup and audio, Ethernet, USB ports etc...

What works well for one may not work as well for others. It's best to experiment to find what opens up your system and gives the best results. By using the iMac definition my audio linked with my pcie slot without any major work.

I'm using 19,1 as well, but wondering if some of the Vega issues are worked out in the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS, especially since it's the one shipping with the new iMac Pro. 

I'm using 19,1 as well, but wondering if some of the Vega issues are worked out in the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS, especially since it's the one shipping with the new iMac Pro. 

For an Intel system I think you get better results if the CPU is a match when using various definitions, with Ryzen its a {censored} shoot ( gamble) it seems to have an automatic 10% graphics deficiency with AMD cards and even worse for Nvidia.    My Vega has run basically the same with Ryzen no matter which definition I use as far a benchmarks and general performance.   I've Used MacPro 5.1 6.1, Macbook, MacbookAir, and iMac definitions.    The iMac 18.2 seems to be the best for my Ryzen 1700 as far as compatibility mainly the GFX! and Audio.

The Main benefit of using certain definitions is for native CPU power management but there are other things like USB, Audio, Ethernet etc that may benefit.   With Ryzen we have the power management in the kernel for the most part.    I've created a few SSDTs using MacAISL for base frequency and turbo frequency but I dont think they are functional or there is no turbo boost.   Power states always remain at 1.   So far I haven't been able to get any noticeable performance gains using SSDTs versus not using them.   Perhaps a Ryzen 1700x or 1800x would be able to achieve a boost but from what I've heard the XFR boost only works in idle mode so it seems to be a downclocking more than a overclock function in Linux.   Not sure about windows.

For an Intel system I think you get better results if the CPU is a match when using various definitions, with Ryzen its a {censored} shoot ( gamble) it seems to have an automatic 10% graphics deficiency with AMD cards and even worse for Nvidia. My Vega has run basically the same with Ryzen no matter which definition I use as far a benchmarks and general performance. I've Used MacPro 5.1 6.1, Macbook, MacbookAir, and iMac definitions. The iMac 18.2 seems to be the best for my Ryzen 1700 as far as compatibility mainly the GFX! and Audio.

The Main benefit of using certain definitions is for native CPU power management but there are other things like USB, Audio, Ethernet etc that may benefit. With Ryzen we have the power management in the kernel for the most part. I've created a few SSDTs using MacAISL for base frequency and turbo frequency but I dont think they are functional or there is no turbo boost. Power states always remain at 1. So far I haven't been able to get any noticeable performance gains using SSDTs versus not using them. Perhaps a Ryzen 1700x or 1800x would be able to achieve a boost but from what I've heard the XFR boost only works in idle mode so it seems to be a downclocking more than a overclock function in Linux. Not sure about windows.

How does your Vega perform (intel vs ryzen)

https://github.com/vit9696/WhateverGreen/releases/tag/1.1.4

Seems new whatevergreen might fix sleep issue

I figured. Hopefully will get it sorted out but I'm happy we cab still install our ryzen machines

I heard people with real macs are having performance issues with there nvida cards.

I updated my brothers machine (Intel hackintosh) from 10.12.6 to 10.13.1 there is GPU power decrease

I also saw someone running ryzen threadripper getting only 45fps on cinebench

Intel, Geekbench Compute 180,000+ Ryzen it’s 163,000 about a 10% drop the same goes for my RX 480 with Ryzen. Luxmark is equal, OpenGL Uningine Valley is miles apart Intel doubles the Ryzen score.

Interesting. I get about 175k on my Ryzen system with Vega 64 stock bios. The score is the same on 10.13.2 and the 10.13.3 beta.

I had almost 190000 in Geekbench with my Vega Frontier LC and a Threadripper 1950x. I guess with an Intel it would go far over 200000.

I just think about to sell my Threadripper 1950x and get a used 6950x or a new 1980xe. 

I had almost 190000 in Geekbench with my Vega Frontier LC and a Threadripper 1950x. I guess with an Intel it would go far over 200000.

I just think about to sell my Threadripper 1950x and get a used 6950x or a new 1980xe. 

Thats a good score, even with an Intel you probably won't get much higher, due to macOS.    In windows I get 205,000 with Ryzen 1700 and the same with Intel.     It sounds like you have a well working Threadripper setup.  

The Problem is, in 10.13.2 the Vega is every few seconds in use and fan is getting faster. (Even on Desktop when card is in idle).

Dont compare Windows with Mac OS X related to Benchmarks. Mac OS X is getting a much better score. (Dont know because of Drivers or of functionality)

The Problem is, in 10.13.2 the Vega is every few seconds in use and fan is getting faster. (Even on Desktop when card is in idle).

Dont compare Windows with Mac OS X related to Benchmarks. Mac OS X is getting a much better score. (Dont know because of Drivers or of functionality)

As for comparing windows to macOS for benches, it is well known that macOS lags behind in most applications especially openGl gaming apps.    Its the nature of the software.    Your Vega will have the same fan issue no matter which CPU (Ryzen or Intel) you use.     I'm in HS 13.3 beta 2 and they still haven't slowed the fans down.    Its noisy but the fan keeps the card cool, 24 C at idle and maxed out at 81 C in Luxmark Ball.