NEW VERSION! "nebukadnezar" reloaded AMD + INTEL supported

semthex

165 posts in this topic

hi guys... any idea when jas's ppf patch of the new kernel will be out? i've been waiting for it on demooid for so long

You need to poke around on IRC :pirate2:

Right on the front page of forum, at the bottom, goto channel JaS.

Ok back on track, join me on #kernel for latest infos :D

about emperature ppl: if biod repports totally diffrent value, a cpu can't cool down about 40 C in just a few seconds. I tried with a external meassurement device from industry which is used in laboratorys and stuff to be absolute sure, none of my boxes showed this behaviour. Also I run those systems close to 24/7 they would indicated an issue if there would be one. The people I asked on IRC also tested (one of them f***ed their box with this software :D ) and rechecked with BIOS and stuff but it seems to have at least problems with some temperature meassurment devices since it never was developed for those. Maybe one of you would like to send me a detailed spec. about your system?

I am not having the temperature problem at all, but then again I don't run Dual Cores :construction:. Just a lonely Prescott 478 pins (and it runs hotter than my old Northwood). I have a Thermal Take HardCano with temp sensor (hw, not sw), and I haven't noticed this behavior. Just installed 10.4.8 and latest semthex kernel withtout any problems.

as lucida said, temperature monitor (when it works) is much more efficient than looking into your bios.

hardware measurement is the only alernative, im gona buy some too , but it will take me like a month to get it.

GAUCHO!

ok you have a hardware snsor, so plis try vitaly kernel or daemonES and tell us if theres any temperature reading difference.

aberracus: Sure, after boot, letting it rest for 10 minutes (it gets hotter during the boot up process), these are both results:

Semthex RC12 41.1-41.5 C while idle (had Safari, Snak and Adium open)

DaemonES (dunno version, but latest I dled from russian site) while idle (same, Safari, Snak and Adium and same 10 minutes after boot) 41.1-41.4 C

So at least on my old but useful Prescott, kernels make absolutely NO difference in real temperature while idle. I am willing to try other optiones under load if anyone suggests a methodology.

semthex did you enable some options in Intel MSR's (e.g. IA32_MISC_ENABLE) in your version of kernel, this may be a reason for such temp bug(?) ?

No and since this occures just with Intel Core 2 I think it migth be related to CPUPowermangement(.kext), to force it on use "-fpm" as I said. There aren't much people with Core 2 around on the channel so I think it is possible that's why I haven't get any reports about it.

clean install of 10.4.8 with semthex kernel and did an xbench 75odd then dropped in beta12 and ran xbench again ,,,down to 65 :D

read FAQ about benchmarks.

Semthex, my fans are not controled by the mainboard or the OS, i control them directly trough a Zalman fan controller 5 1/2 bay.

does forcing powermangment kext to load with "-fpm" will work for me?

DaemonES i need your kernel with restart fix man!

It miight, if it works with other kernel it might make it working. Test it out. This is the only thing I can imagine which may miss to get you 100% supported.

How much you wanna pay?

:compress: nah here it is

I got the following message after running (loading) the kext?

kextload: extension speedit.kext appears to be valid
kextload: loading extension speedit.kext
kextload: sending 1 personality to the kernel
kextload: kmod_control/start failed for com.increw.kext.speedit; destroying kmod
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension speedit.kext
load failed for extension speedit.kext
(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

I've just tested and running DaemonES kernel.

I got the following message after running (loading) the kext?

kextload: extension speedit.kext appears to be valid
kextload: loading extension speedit.kext
kextload: sending 1 personality to the kernel
kextload: kmod_control/start failed for com.increw.kext.speedit; destroying kmod
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension speedit.kext
load failed for extension speedit.kext
(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

I've just tested and running DaemonES kernel.

speedit needs intel speedstep technology support.

I have install JAS newest 10.4.8 DVD and then the newest Kernel gl-rc12. The Kernel works great, its a little bit slower as my old system. sound works, network i have replace ionetworkfamily.kext from my old system and then works. gma900 fixed with safe boot and reinstall gma900 support from the install dvd.

thx for all ;)

tried the rc12 kernel and -fpm kernel flag...no difference in temperature, still ~10C higher than in Windows. So can someone who have a new C2D MB run a test(OSX vs. Bootcamp Windows)?

Anyway, even with 80C loaded, the sytem is quite stable, I've been running it for several days and compiling alot from macports.

My HSF is ThermalTake BigTyphoon w/AS5, so cooling shouldnt be a much issue here.

Lucida 80 degrees surely would fry your CD2, teh maximum temp intended for CD2 is around 65. something is wrong here.

how are the temps in windows?

Oh well yes this is very strange lol :-)

I just put a new beta out containing vmware autodetection for all you INTEL freaks, was requested by someone tired of typing -vmware flag ;)

80C is OK in fact, since lots of Core Duo MBs running ~100C(and then shutdown automatically, lol)

Considering the case you are using Gigabyte's monitor software, and you might think your processor "cool" and "safe" with a 50C loaded temp. though its actually running at 80C.

So we just need some input from a C2D MacBook user to report the temp, so we can know that if its an Apple's own issue or not.

Under Windows, its 55C idle and 68C load, the room temp is 30C and I have my case opened.