ThunderBolt Drivers

406 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jya said:

I see that you've connected your TB3 card to one of the slots using PCH's PCIe lane (SB.PCI0.RP05.PXSX). Any particular reason to use it there rather the the CPU's PCIe lanes?

The PCH link is a PCIe x4 only, so that's a lot of PCI lanes sharing you have there...

Edit: another question:

how did you determine the values such as:

Name (_PLD, Package (0x01)  // _PLD: Physical Location of Device
                            {
                                Buffer (0x10)
                                {
                                    /* 0000 */  0x81, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
                                    /* 0008 */  0x31, 0x1C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                                }
                            })

wondering if this needs to be adapter depending on the TB3 card used

The ASRock card is a PCI-e 3.0 x4, and it has to be installed in that slot on my motherboard. (Looks like you found a similar installation requirement)

As for the PLD values, those are taken from Piker's blog when he was injecting a USB 3.1 PCI-e card. I think the UPC value of 0x09 is more important (or 0x0a), versus the 0x03 that other methods commonly use. Although, now that I look more closely at the ACPI specifications, perhaps it should be:. It looks like those PLD values don't particularly matter. The bottom first two values are physical orientation, but it looks like they don't have to be hardcoded.

See the ACPI 6.0 specifications: http://www.uefi.org/sites/default/files/resources/ACPI_6.0.pdf

See pages 524-531.

Edited by maleorderbride
  • Like 1

The USB-C hotplug also works... Awesome, for weeks I've been trying various methods but somehow that had never worked for me.

Now maybe it's the combination of TB3 and Gigabyte motherboard somehow...

I'm fairly certain I had tried that exact same SSDT with a GB Designare, which is almost identical to the Gaming 7 Pro with the TB3 card in it (the ACPI path is certainly the same).

Weird what you said about the ASRock x299 board, I'm fairly certain with the ASRock x299 Professional Gaming board I tried, I could place it in other slots... but maybe I'm mistaken, I've tried so many motherboards to date...

I don't understand the design decision to share the PCH's 4 lanes PCI with almost every other devices on that board : NVMe (other than the main slot), USB, network, wif etc...).

Especially the TB3 cards, that highly reduce the use of it, like good luck getting eGPU to work efficiently there..

19 minutes ago, jya said:

The USB-C hotplug also works... Awesome, for weeks I've been trying various methods but somehow that had never worked for me.

Now maybe it's the combination of TB3 and Gigabyte motherboard somehow...

I'm fairly certain I had tried that exact same SSDT with a GB Designare, which is almost identical to the Gaming 7 Pro with the TB3 card in it (the ACPI path is certainly the same).

Weird what you said about the ASRock x299 board, I'm fairly certain with the ASRock x299 Professional Gaming board I tried, I could place it in other slots... but maybe I'm mistaken, I've tried so many motherboards to date...

I don't understand the design decision to share the PCH's 4 lanes PCI with almost every other devices on that board : NVMe (other than the main slot), USB, network, wif etc...).

Especially the TB3 cards, that highly reduce the use of it, like good luck getting eGPU to work efficiently there..

Glad you got it working! It's too bad the forum took a {censored} as soon as I posted this, as it's all the original info to get it working.

This is a low-end motherboard, and where the TB3 lanes come from appears to be a "feature" reserved for more expensive boards. ASRock has a published list, so there is no guesswork. Granted, I haven't looked up the Gigabyte board info.

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 10.39.40 AM.png

Edited by maleorderbride

Kiiler SLI/ac

Thank you.
I returned the ASROCK Professional gaming because the last bios 1.40 (and earlier too) is buggy. Can't use per core OC. It's super buggy, and it always set the cores to a 43 ratio, which cause my 7980xe to go way past 100C

49 minutes ago, jya said:

Thank you.
I returned the ASROCK Professional gaming because the last bios 1.40 (and earlier too) is buggy. Can't use per core OC. It's super buggy, and it always set the cores to a 43 ratio, which cause my 7980xe to go way past 100C

I am so glad you made it.

I am using LG ultrafine 5K monitor which is using Thunderbolt 3 cable to connect to my Alpine Ridge thunderbolt 3 adaptor. Thunderbolt is working well but no howswap and it makes no peripheral functions like camera, audio, screen brightness controls broken after sleep/wake. @maleorderbride said is it issue with USB3.1 but I do not think it is. So I am going to try his SSDT patch method. 

If you can share your SSDT I will look it up and compare to my device as well, I have difficulty to understand without the example TT my English is so bad. Please help me. And It would be a great appreciation for Gigabyte users as well.

I am so glad you made it.
I am using LG ultrafine 5K monitor which is using Thunderbolt 3 cable to connect to my Alpine Ridge thunderbolt 3 adaptor. Thunderbolt is working well but no howswap and it makes no peripheral functions like camera, audio, screen brightness controls broken after sleep/wake. [mention=358090]maleorderbride[/mention] said is it issue with USB3.1 but I do not think it is. So I am going to try his SSDT patch method. 
If you can share your SSDT I will look it up and compare to my device as well, I have difficulty to understand without the example TT my English is so bad. Please help me. And It would be a great appreciation for Gigabyte users as well.

As I wrote earlier, the SSDT I used is the one provided by@maleorderbride on the first page of this thread, just look it up!

45 minutes ago, jya said:

As I wrote earlier, the SSDT I used is the one provided by@maleorderbride on the first page of this thread, just look it up!

Please help.

I tried but not work. Just what I did change the Address from my Original IOReg's to SSDT-TH3.aml

5ac922947c825_ScreenShot2018-04-07at12_44_16PM.thumb.png.81b11004be76308a3e324ce29c85547e.png

5ac9227ac9a37_ScreenShot2018-04-07at12_42_56PM.thumb.png.9962adea4a73064942593760d23e75a5.png

If you see my screen capture, My Thunderbolt is PCI0, RP21 as I understood his instruction well.

And found the value in IOACPIplaneView is PXSX.

So I removed other value, SLT5, in @maleorderbride's SSDT since I do not see that value in my original but not PXSX.

And Saved the file, put it in Patched folder.

It seems like my MB's LED issue (It does not turned off after sleep or power off) is gone. But not hotswap still working.

Can you look at my files and figured out what was wrong I did?

Thank you!

IOREG_Original.zip

SSDT-TB3.aml.zip

26 minutes ago, buyjoey said:

Please help.

I tried but not work. Just what I did change the Address from my Original IOReg's to SSDT-TH3.aml

5ac922947c825_ScreenShot2018-04-07at12_44_16PM.thumb.png.81b11004be76308a3e324ce29c85547e.png

5ac9227ac9a37_ScreenShot2018-04-07at12_42_56PM.thumb.png.9962adea4a73064942593760d23e75a5.png

Is that screen capture, before or after the SSDT?

The SSDT you've provided is correct, there's nothing else to change.

But if that screen capture is with the SSDT, it hasn't been loaded.. There should be no more any RP21.PXSX device it should now be RP21.UPSB

2 hours ago, jya said:

Is that screen capture, before or after the SSDT?

The SSDT you've provided is correct, there's nothing else to change.

But if that screen capture is with the SSDT, it hasn't been loaded.. There should be no more any RP21.PXSX device it should now be RP21.UPSB

Hi, Again,

So If you see my Original IoReg and RP21 has all peripheral functions of LG Ultrafine Display. But all will be gone after sleep. Do you think it is USB problem? I did make SSDT for USBs but in this case, the functions are part of Display Hubs. Do you have any idea for fix this?

5ac950b2c8f05_ScreenShot2018-04-07at4_12_57PM.thumb.png.f401266c5e8445d4c90c9680f88c124b.png

Hi, Again,

So If you see my Original IoReg and RP21 has all peripheral functions of LG Ultrafine Display. But all will be gone after sleep. Do you think it is USB problem? I did make SSDT for USBs but in this case, the functions are part of Display Hubs. Do you have any idea for fix this?
5ac950b2c8f05_ScreenShot2018-04-07at4_12_57PM.thumb.png.f401266c5e8445d4c90c9680f88c124b.png
You want people to help you, but you don't answer the questions asked.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, jya said:

You want people to help you, but you don't answer the questions asked.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi,

I thought you got it already,.

SSDT applied but nothing change, even I see no more PXSX instead, UPSB there.

And SSDT makes my computer restart issue.

It might have brand differentiation btw Gigabyte and Asrock.

Too bad.

17 hours ago, buyjoey said:

Hi,

I thought you got it already,.

SSDT applied but nothing change, even I see no more PXSX instead, UPSB there.

And SSDT makes my computer restart issue.

It might have brand differentiation btw Gigabyte and Asrock.

Too bad.

you didn't answer the questions asked by either @maleorderbride or myself.

The screen captures you provided certainly don't show that PXSX was properly rewritten as USPB nor that the various thunderbolt properties got inserted where they are needed.

I'm fairly sure there's no difference between the GB TB3 card or the ASRock ones...

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get the TB working properly on my Z170x-ud5-th for 2 years now, without much effect. Stuff works if attached before booting, after sleep tb devices are gone, hot plug doesn't work. I've been trying several versions of the TB.aml in this thread, and though I see changes in the iodevicetree, I still can't sleep properly without losing TB devices...

For example, after sleep my Startech TB3-TB2 adapter connected to a TB - ethernet adapter gets kicked off and doesn't come back. It's connected to DSB4 and shows up as  pci-bridge?

Advice would be much appreciated. This(TB) is the only thing left that's not working properly...

Cheers,

5acb862631893_Schermafbeelding2018-04-09om17_22_18.thumb.png.54b8b957bd91f355c7ff25bd63d7670f.png

Zip

Edited by zipb

Since the last time I have collected new information.
I tried to adapt the @maleorderbride SSDT, but it does not work.
Previously, the information on my build was probably incomplete or incorrect (due to some SSDTs on the system), so we start from the beginning.
Hardware: I am using the SMBIOS iMac 18,3.
- Gigabyte Z370 Ultra Gaming
- Gigabyte Alpine Ridge PCIe (very similar to Asrock, in fact has 2 connections Thunderbolt 3 and no USB 3.1)

This is my system without any SSDT loaded and with the Thunderbolt devices turned off: Download
While this is the same but with the devices turned on: Download

My system correctly recognizes my devices if they are connected and turned on before booting, and recharges them correctly after sleep, but no hotplug.
I have exported the data with the devices on/off because probably it is a power management problem.
Unfortunately I do not have the skills to do this, so I ask you.

These are the original tables of an iMac 18,3 (coming from this thread), and I think they can be very useful for everyone to better understand the problem:

DarwinDumper_iMac18,3_Apple_X64_Sierra_16F2073_Edited.zip

iMac 18,3 IOReg: Download

Can someone help me to enable the hotplug?

Edited by lelet
Link updated

Another very important information just discovered, is that my devices not only reconnect correctly after sleep, but if while my computer is in sleep, I turn them off and then reignite them before the wake, they still connect correctly! Very similar to a hotplug.
Currently (without any SSDT) to connect them correctly, I have to turn on and then restart the computer to use them, which suggests that the problem is power management.

On 4/9/2018 at 8:27 AM, zipb said:

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get the TB working properly on my Z170x-ud5-th for 2 years now, without much effect. Stuff works if attached before booting, after sleep tb devices are gone, hot plug doesn't work. I've been trying several versions of the TB.aml in this thread, and though I see changes in the iodevicetree, I still can't sleep properly without losing TB devices...

For example, after sleep my Startech TB3-TB2 adapter connected to a TB - ethernet adapter gets kicked off and doesn't come back. It's connected to DSB4 and shows up as  pci-bridge?

Advice would be much appreciated. This(TB) is the only thing left that's not working properly...

Cheers,

5acb862631893_Schermafbeelding2018-04-09om17_22_18.thumb.png.54b8b957bd91f355c7ff25bd63d7670f.png

Zip

Are you on the latest firmware? 21 I believe. That screenshot looks valid, but I can't see if you have PCIHotplugCapable also set as One.

You say you tried several "version" of the SSDT, but did you ever follow my instructions and modify your own to fit? It's quite easy. Do so and verify with an IOreg attached.

17 hours ago, lelet said:

Another very important information just discovered, is that my devices not only reconnect correctly after sleep, but if while my computer is in sleep, I turn them off and then reignite them before the wake, they still connect correctly! Very similar to a hotplug.
Currently (without any SSDT) to connect them correctly, I have to turn on and then restart the computer to use them, which suggests that the problem is power management.

You have quite a few things in your earlier post that one can download, but none appear to be your actual IOreg.

Also, the Alpine Ridge card must be on the latest firmware, so make sure you are also at FW21. (requires Windows)

Follow the instructions in my post to modify your own SSDT. Report back if hotplug is working or not, and attach an IOreg.

15 minutes ago, maleorderbride said:

You have quite a few things in your earlier post that one can download, but none appear to be your actual IOreg.

Also, the Alpine Ridge card must be on the latest firmware, so make sure you are also at FW21. (requires Windows)

Follow the instructions in my post to modify your own SSDT. Report back if hotplug is working or not, and attach an IOreg.

I have already updated the firmware of my Alpine Ridge, and I tried to adapt your SSDT without success...
The files that I have attached in the previous post are all without SSDT, that's my clean system, as you can see from the IOreg inside the SEND ME file