ThunderBolt Drivers

406 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Matthew82 said:

What is the differences with or without ssdt? Did your TB devices back to work when you wake computer from sleep? 

Haven't tried waking with my TB device.  The problem was that the device would not lock/sync before I started using the ssdt.  I tried the arbitrary values first and it didn't make a difference; still no sync.  Then I copied in the ssdt and on the next reboot the device locked and was working fine.

I tried with an Asus Prime Deluxe with the ASRock TB3 card, along the SSDT I published above. My Promise Pegasus R4 TB raid no longer requires to be unplugged when rebooting. It will constantly work. Which is a great progress... Still no hotplug however, and now it hangs the machine completely whenever I plug something (either TB or USB-C)

I tried with an Asus Prime Deluxe with the ASRock TB3 card, along the SSDT I published above. My Promise Pegasus R4 TB raid no longer requires to be unplugged when rebooting. It will constantly work. Which is a great progress... Still no hotplug however, and now it hangs the machine completely whenever I plug something (either TB or USB-C)

Hi, I have also GA-Z370 Aorus Gaming 7.

DSDT patch shows me the PCI TH3 but not hot swap working. 

My LG 5K ultrafine monitor is connected to Alpine Ridge adaptor and Everything is working fine. However, after sleep/awake all function are gone except graphic (my vega still working after sleep)

@Matthew82 Could you see my dump files and possibly fix it?

buyjoeyRunme.zip

Thank you!

The site still has the issue with uploading the file, so I attached the file from the external site.

Edited by buyjoey

On 20/3/2018 at 3:29 PM, Matthew82 said:

What is the differences with or without ssdt? Did your TB devices back to work when you wake computer from sleep? 

I apologize for the absence, I confirm that my Thunderbolt devices reconnect successfully after sleep! This is good!

Precisely, the devices must be turned on before turns on the computer (hotplug does not work). Once connected and working, if the computer goes to sleep and then reactivates with the SSDT loaded, the devices reconnect correctly.
Unfortunately yesterday, after doing a new clean installation on a new SSD, for some reason, the sleep function does not work anymore (wake immediatly after sleep).

I have new interesting information, I hope they can help!
Load IOReg files
IOReg Z370 Gigabyte - Alpine Ridge without SSDT: IOReg no SSDT.zip
IOReg Z370 Gigabyte - Alpine Ridge with SSDT: IOReg SSDT.zip
IOReg MacBookPro9.1 with devices connected and turned on: MacBook Pro Device ON.zip
IOReg MacBookPro9.1 with devices connected and turned on, then off and on again: MacBook Pro Device OFF-ON.zip

In the Macbook you notice different voices like Thunderbolt Path and Thunderbolt Entry ID (the latter changes with each new reconnection apparently)

The SSDT comes from the wonderful work done by @Matthew82  SSDT.aml.zip

On 2018-03-28 at 10:24 AM, lelet said:

I have new interesting information, I hope they can help!
Load IOReg files
IOReg Z370 Gigabyte - Alpine Ridge without SSDT: IOReg no SSDT.zip
IOReg Z370 Gigabyte - Alpine Ridge with SSDT: IOReg SSDT.zip
IOReg MacBookPro9.1 with devices connected and turned on: MacBook Pro Device ON.zip
IOReg MacBookPro9.1 with devices connected and turned on, then off and on again: MacBook Pro Device OFF-ON.zip

In the Macbook you notice different voices like Thunderbolt Path and Thunderbolt Entry ID (the latter changes with each new reconnection apparently)

The SSDT comes from the wonderful work done by @Matthew82  SSDT.aml.zip

Thank you for sharing this files. I tried to put the SSDT-TH1.aml in my Patched folder, but after sleep/wake my monitor's Camera, audio and brightness control disabled. My monitor connected thru Alpine Ridge TH3 cable.

It is working well before sleep/wake. After sleep/wake, always I should reboot my computer to enable all the monitor's functions. The weird thing is screen is back well after sleep/wake which is connected with the same USB-C cable thru Alpine Ridge. Any idea? or Did I missed some trick with SSDT files?

I don't think that the loss of these functions is due to the Thunderbolt. For audio after sleep you have to use codecommander, for other functions, I don't know.

12 hours ago, lelet said:

I don't think that the loss of these functions is due to the Thunderbolt. For audio after sleep you have to use codecommander, for other functions, I don't know.

But only USB-C connected functions not working after wake. But other USB or Audio in different devices all working fine. I do not need codeccommander my DP auido is working fine. Only Th3 audio and camera etc not working after sleep/wake.

As i writed it before on the X299 Guide thread :

Well, then i have taked delivery of my Asus ThunderboltEX 3 at the begining of this week

So i'll try to correctly install it on my build :

-1/ i'll do a new fresh install Windows 10 on my Nvme SSD and install the drivers Asus ThunderboltEX 3 on it.

- 2/ i'll boot on MacOs and try to implement ThunderboltEX 3 by creating my own SSTD-TB for my mobo.

Aslo this thread wil be hepfull for me ;)

To be continued this week end ...

On 3/30/2018 at 3:23 PM, buyjoey said:

But only USB-C connected functions not working after wake. But other USB or Audio in different devices all working fine. I do not need codeccommander my DP auido is working fine. Only Th3 audio and camera etc not working after sleep/wake.

If I am understanding you, your monitor's built-in webcam that is connected via USB3.1 (according to System Profiler) doesn't work after wake from sleep.

I don't know if this will fix it, but you did not enumerate your USB 3.1 controller and ports according to my original example for Thunderbolt hotswap. You should complete my instructions and see if you still have a problem. 

If you monitor has a USB hub built into it, do those ports maintain devices through sleep/wake? Do they work normally after wake with new devices?

Edited by maleorderbride

1 hour ago, maleorderbride said:

If I am understanding you, your monitor's built-in webcam that is connected via USB3.1 (according to System Profiler) doesn't work after wake from sleep.

I don't know if this will fix it, but you did not enumerate your USB 3.1 controller and ports according to my original example for Thunderbolt hotswap. You should complete my instructions and see if you still have a problem. 

If you monitor has a USB hub built into it, do those ports maintain devices through sleep/wake? Do they work normally after wake with new devices?

I am so glad to get your reply!!

Unfortunately, I am so noob of this coding thing but I am gonna try your method on page 2 of this post.

For you question, my LG ultrafine monitor has 4 USB-C, one of them is connected to the TH3 adaptor (Alpine Ridge). All ports working fine and all built in devices like Camera, audio, and Brightness. But after sleep/wake and all functions gone except monitor screen.

So sorry, my English is so bad, I am still learning English :))

I will put my files here Please help me out! I tried to change SSDT method before, but it was so hard to me to understand and it was not even working.

EFI

IORegistry.zip

Edited by buyjoey

4 minutes ago, buyjoey said:

I am so glad to get your reply!!

Unfortunately, I am so noob of this coding thing but I am gonna try your method on page 2 of this post.

For you question, my LG ultrafine monitor has 4 USB-C, one of them is connected to the TH3 adaptor (Alpine Ridge). All ports working fine and all built in devices like Camera, audio, and Brightness. But after sleep/wake and all functions gone except monitor screen.

So sorry, my English is so bad, I am still learning English :))

I will put my files here Please help me out! I tried to change SSDT method before, but it was so hard to me to understand and it was not even working.

It sounds like you have a USB problem then, not a Thunderbolt problem. Still, try to follow the method I outlined for the USB 3.1 portion of the Alpine Ridge controller.

26 minutes ago, maleorderbride said:

It sounds like you have a USB problem then, not a Thunderbolt problem. Still, try to follow the method I outlined for the USB 3.1 portion of the Alpine Ridge controller.

So, I found my TH address is PCI0, RP21

But I can't follow next steps. Sigh- I see PCI0 and RP21@1b0004 contains PXSX@0

And step3 Modify stock SSDT downloaded but Not working unzip!

IDK am I on right track? The ZIP file keep making another Zip files..

And for The USB3.1 mod, did you mean that I have to modify the SSDT.aml?

Sorry, I am so noob. TT Help Me.

5 hours ago, maleorderbride said:

I tested many time today, and I think this problem is Hotswap issue.

So, all functions working first boot. After sleep/wake TH3 related functions were gone. Then I reboot and still no Th3 related functions are working. Only Those functions are back after completely turn off the computer and turn on the computer.

My USB mapping is really fine. All USB working properly. Have anyone fixed GA-Alpine Ridge hotswap?

How do you enumerate the TB usb ports? I have an apple thunderbolt display with a usb hub, and the acpi path of the USB hub as well as the pci path, appears to be semi-randomly assigned. It changes from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, buyjoey said:

I tested many time today, and I think this problem is Hotswap issue.

So, all functions working first boot. After sleep/wake TH3 related functions were gone. Then I reboot and still no Th3 related functions are working. Only Those functions are back after completely turn off the computer and turn on the computer.

My USB mapping is really fine. All USB working properly. Have anyone fixed GA-Alpine Ridge hotswap?

I've re-uploaded the stock SSDT. I guess the forum migration corrupted it.

It sounds like you have a USB hub that is not being initialized after wake from sleep. Try googling for other people with USB problems after wake from sleep. Perhaps you will find something promising. Otherwise, all I can suggest is that you add the XHC device and specify the port behavior as in my SSDT and report back. (edit: I looked at your IOreg and the monitor doesn't even use this controller, so this won't do anything)

edit: I see that your 5K is a TB display, while the 4K is a USB 3.1 display.

Lastly, I don't see an EC device in your IOreg. In fact, I don't see that you have done anything to get USB working properly other than adding the 10.13.4 port restriction patch (without removing an old USB patch as well). There are plenty of guides, but you need to go do the work.

5 hours ago, jya said:

How do you enumerate the TB usb ports? I have an apple thunderbolt display with a usb hub, and the acpi path of the USB hub as well as the pci path, appears to be semi-randomly assigned. It changes from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I've re-uploaded the SSDT, but it is the code that is embedded in the body of my first post on the matter. You define the XHC device and provide some basic info about the ports just like with any other USB ports. This clears up some boot errors, so it does something. 

This is enumerating the USB 3.1/2.0 portions of the actual thunderbolt ports, not a hub that you have daisychained to a thunderbolt device.

Edited by maleorderbride

14 minutes ago, maleorderbride said:

I've re-uploaded the SSDT, but it is the code that is embedded in the body of my first post on the matter. You define the XHC device and provide some basic info about the ports just like with any other USB ports. This clears up some boot errors, so it does something. 

This is enumerating the USB 3.1/2.0 portions of the actual thunderbolt ports, not a hub that you have daisychained to a thunderbolt device.

Thank you for that...

Do you still need the clover's arbitrary injection with this SSDT ? (I assume not as it set the PCI-Thunderbolt entry on the UPSB device, exactly the same as the SSDT would)

Just now, jya said:

Thank you for that...

Do you still need the clover's arbitrary injection with this SSDT ? (I assume not as it set the PCI-Thunderbolt entry on the UPSB device, exactly the same as the SSDT would)

I have never used the arbitrary method, so I can't speak to it really. I just mentioned it in my post as it seems like a hypothetically easier method for mass adoption.

I think you would use one or the other (SSDT or injection), not both.

8 minutes ago, maleorderbride said:

I have never used the arbitrary method, so I can't speak to it really. I just mentioned it in my post as it seems like a hypothetically easier method for mass adoption.

I think you would use one or the other (SSDT or injection), not both.

I see that you've connected your TB3 card to one of the slots using PCH's PCIe lane (SB.PCI0.RP05.PXSX). Any particular reason to use it there rather the the CPU's PCIe lanes?

The PCH link is a PCIe x4 only, so that's a lot of PCI lanes sharing you have there...

Edit: another question:

how did you determine the values such as:

Name (_PLD, Package (0x01)  // _PLD: Physical Location of Device
                            {
                                Buffer (0x10)
                                {
                                    /* 0000 */  0x81, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
                                    /* 0008 */  0x31, 0x1C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                                }
                            })

wondering if this needs to be adapter depending on the TB3 card used

Edited by jya

Hotplug works !!!!!

Gigabyte Gaming 7 Pro with an ASRock TB3 AIC card.

Card must be placed in PCIx4_2 for TB3 to work on any x299 gigabyte card.

When I rebooted, my Pegasus 2 R4 didn't mount the disk, I thought what the hell, unplugged the TB cable, replugged it, and everything worked : RAID drive got mounted, Apple TB Display got seen and all peripherals working..

Awesome.

Thank you

@DSM2 try this method maybe? all I changed was \_SB.PCI0.RP05 into \_SB.PCI0.RP21 (and removed the SL05 entry which doesn't exist for me)

• Like 3