Dell XPS 15 (9560, Version 2017) compatibility information

Krim404

186 posts in this topic

what do I have to do to get AppleHDA to work? I have tried everything. I know I can use voodoohda but I'd rather use applehda. I can get it working using hdaenabler or cloverhda and applehda kext, but there is no sound coming out. The Clover layout-id I use is 13. I am on the 9560 version of XPS.  Can someone give me some simple steps to get this working on this notebook. In the past it was so much easier.

I tried for HOURS to get AppleHDA working with no results. Back using VoodooHDA which is fine for now.  Let me know if you manage to get AppleHDA working!

what do I have to do to get AppleHDA to work? I have tried everything. I know I can use voodoohda but I'd rather use applehda. I can get it working using hdaenabler or cloverhda and applehda kext, but there is no sound coming out. The Clover layout-id I use is 13. I am on the 9560 version of XPS.  Can someone give me some simple steps to get this working on this notebook. In the past it was so much easier.

switch your layout and use https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/master/10.12/Post-Install/AD-Kexts/AppleHDA_sysCL/readme.mdthen applehda is working.

Hi.

I have a more or less working system, still have to work on my own dsdt, ssdt, right now  I am substantially using the ones from Johnny4911 (post #88). At the moment the only annoying things are:

- broken USB-C ethernet adapter after sleep 

- no way to install windows, the installer claims that some drivers are missing. I tried to add the AHCI and USB3 ones but no luck

does anyone have a guess of how to fix them? Thanks for your help!

Helloo,

I would like to know if someone succeed to have HDMI Video working with the intel hd 630 ?? I have the IntelGFX id set and 191B0000 as ig-plateform but when I plugged in with hdmi nothing appear on my second screen.

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Michael

Hi.

I have a more or less working system, still have to work on my own dsdt, ssdt, right now I am substantially using the ones from Johnny4911 (post #88). At the moment the only annoying things are:

- broken USB-C ethernet adapter after sleep

- no way to install windows, the installer claims that some drivers are missing. I tried to add the AHCI and USB3 ones but no luck

does anyone have a guess of how to fix them? Thanks for your help!

I've got Windows and Ubuntu installed fine, both with an unaltered installer. Make sure you have the sata mode set to ahci and create the usb stick to boot under uefi.

Helloo,

I would like to know if someone succeed to have HDMI Video working with the intel hd 630 ?? I have the IntelGFX id set and 191B0000 as ig-plateform but when I plugged in with hdmi nothing appear on my second screen.

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Michael

HDMI video works if you follow my guide I posted earlier.

I've tried this and couldn't get it to work, can't remember if it was just the headphones not working or speakers too. I do actually use the files to get headphones working on voodooHDA though. What do we switch our layout to?

Thanks for your answer Jonny but unfortunately I followed your tutorial and everything work except this HDMI.

I didn't see any informations that ive missed regarding the HDMI in your guide..

Thanks man

You might need to edit the config.plist in the CLOVER folder to a different model's SMBIOS then. 

no need to use a different smbios. see https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/master/Tutorial_10.12_Step7.md#hdmivga-video-out-fix-for-imac71-or-mbp133

just use the following bash script:

if [[ $(var_ID=$(ioreg -p IODeviceTree -r -n / -d 1 | grep board-id);var_ID=${var_ID##*<\"};var_ID=${var_ID%%\">};echo $var_ID) = *Mac-A5C67F76ED83108C* ]]; then
  echo "Applying MacBookPro 13,3 SMBIOS HDMI Output Fix"
  sudo sed -i.vanilla 's/Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4/Mac-A5C67F76ED83108C/g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist
fi

Thanks for your answer Jonny but unfortunately I followed your tutorial and everything work except this HDMI.

I didn't see any informations that ive missed regarding the HDMI in your guide..

Thanks man

I've tried this and couldn't get it to work, can't remember if it was just the headphones not working or speakers too. I do actually use the files to get headphones working on voodooHDA though. What do we switch our layout to?

not sure anymore, take a look in my repository in the SSDT config. i think its on 10.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I followed the @Jonny4911 tutorial and everything was going great until I rebooted for the audio and wifi Fix.

Now I am stuck at the booting screen  at the line : IOConsoLeUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs, now 0, sm 0x0

Did someone encounter the same issue?

Not working. Im on 10.12.5. I went in AppleHDA_sysCL and it installed the .sh file through terminal. All the files are where they should be. I tried layout_id 10, rebooted, but grey icon and not working. I tried layout_id 13, rebooted, but grey icon and not working. Does it matter that I have applealc and lilo in my clover kext folder and codeccommander in L/E? Your SSDT config has it set to 0x0D. What could be the reason for it not working?

no need to use a different smbios. see https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/master/Tutorial_10.12_Step7.md#hdmivga-video-out-fix-for-imac71-or-mbp133

just use the following bash script:

if [[ $(var_ID=$(ioreg -p IODeviceTree -r -n / -d 1 | grep board-id);var_ID=${var_ID##*<\"};var_ID=${var_ID%%\">};echo $var_ID) = *Mac-A5C67F76ED83108C* ]]; then
  echo "Applying MacBookPro 13,3 SMBIOS HDMI Output Fix"
  sudo sed -i.vanilla 's/Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4/Mac-A5C67F76ED83108C/g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist
fi

not sure anymore, take a look in my repository in the SSDT config. i think its on 10.

Thanks for your answer I use the SMBios 13,3 and imac 17,1 and launch the script and do it manually but nothing change... even on clover bootloader screen the hdmi didn't load.. Thanks for your help :)

I'm trying as well to Switch-Off the bluetooth unfortunately I didn't havec the option whihc is greyed out in the settings I try to reset it through the debug menu but nothing work .. I try as well with the termianal line..

Thanks for all your answer

Michael

Hi guys,

I followed the @Jonny4911 tutorial and everything was going great until I rebooted for the audio and wifi Fix.

Now I am stuck at the booting screen  at the line : IOConsoLeUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs, now 0, sm 0x0

Did someone encounter the same issue?

Have you updated to the latest Dell 9560 BIOS (1.3.3)?

can someone tell me if their OS still boots with the latest firmware update? if no: can you try the fix with https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/master/Tutorial_10.12_Step7.md#osx-doesnt-boot-anymore-after-firmware-upgrade-to-1225-or-higher ?

Can confirm with the latest BIOS (1.3.3) we must use this fix. Well the files from the drivers64UEFI folder. If I set slide=168, I can't use my eGPU because it is no longer detected. Setting slide=0 boots with no problems, and my eGPU works.

Thanks for your answer I use the SMBios 13,3 and imac 17,1 and launch the script and do it manually but nothing change... even on clover bootloader screen the hdmi didn't load.. Thanks for your help :)

I'm trying as well to Switch-Off the bluetooth unfortunately I didn't havec the option whihc is greyed out in the settings I try to reset it through the debug menu but nothing work .. I try as well with the termianal line..

Thanks for all your answer

Michael

Does HDMI work in windows?

What WiFi/Bluetooth chip do you have?

• Like 1

Have you updated to the latest Dell 9560 BIOS (1.3.3)?

Can confirm with the latest BIOS (1.3.3) we must use this fix. Well the files from the drivers64UEFI folder. If I set slide=168, I can't use my eGPU because it is no longer detected. Setting slide=0 boots with no problems, and my eGPU works.

Does HDMI work in windows?

What WiFi/Bluetooth chip do you have?

Hi , yes it work on Windows lol

I have the bluetooth in the latest Dell XPS 15 2017 Model

Wifi i'm using an USB Key

Thanks

wmchris, have you actually been able to get sound working (via applehda) through the speakers on Dell XPS 15 9560 4k on 10.12.4 or 10.12.5?

I succed by just following the guide and apply the Audio files linked to the post

I succed by just following the guide and apply the Audio files linked to the post

do your headphones work via AppleHDA? or are you using my guide (voodooHDA)?

Hi , yes it work on Windows lol

I have the bluetooth in the latest Dell XPS 15 2017 Model

Wifi i'm using an USB Key

Thanks

If I remember correctly the bluetooth from the killer wireless card (unless you have an intel card?) works out of the box with macOS. Not sure why its not for you.

Out of ideas on the HDMI front I'm afraid, sorry!

Hi, 

Thank you so much to everyone working on this; I have an XPS 15 9560 UHD Touch/1TB (Toshiba XG4)/32GB RAM, and between wmchris and Jonny4911's posts I've been able to get 10.12.5 running incredibly well. Even hibernatemode 3 has been working all day with the low-level 4k sector format (17GB sleepimage, lol).

The only issues I'm having right now are:

--USB-C hotplug (I'm using Jonny4911's method from page 5)**

--Thunderbolt hotplug (I have a few devices here, though I mainly care about my Apple TB3 --> TB2 adapter with the Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet Adapter)

--Plugging a 4K monitor into the on-board HDMI port seems cut display (no video on either the monitor or the laptop and I have to force power off), though a 1280x1024 monitor I have works fine

--Using USB-C as a [Mini] DisplayPort port only works with a DP connection (4K@60 works!!), and I cannot use any active or passive DP --> something adapters plugged into my Type-C to MiniDP adapter

--Possibly HDMI audio (haven't tried)

--SD card reader doesn't work

--GTX 1050 (not really worried about that, as I plan on dual booting Windows)

**Interestingly, any USB-C device works when plugged in on boot (e.g. DA200 and USB-C --> USB3 adapter with a USB flashdrive), but sleep/wake then kills it until next reboot. HOWEVER, Thunderbolt devices (Ethernet adapter, specifically) persist through sleep if plugged in pre-boot, despite TB hotplug's not working. Again, I'm using Jonny4911's method from page 5.

@Jonny4911

I think the USB-C hotplug issues might be stemming from using USBInjectAll. It seems like wmchris has it working, and his guide specifically mentioned removing USBInjectAll when it was updated to add USB-C hotplug. This GitHub issue also mentions that there is a different way to enable the webcam than using USBInjectAll: https://github.com/syscl/XPS9350-macOS/issues/33

I'm going to try this from scratch again since it seems like some of this is fixable, and USB-C hotplug would pretty much make this perfect for me and I'd rather stick with the MacBookPro13,3 system definition (was the 9,1 SMBIOS ever verified to provide much benefit?). Though that SD reader would be really nice, too....

Hi, me again.

Just want to put it out there that I got the webcam & left USB port working without USBInjectAll. In Clover's config.plist, the 9550 needs to drop xh_rvp10 (I think), but the 9560 needs to drop xh_rvp11 instead. Looks like the SSDT got renamed by Dell between systems.

Doing this also allowed me to plug in a USB 3 flashdrive into the Type-C port once after booting without anything plugged into the Type-C port. Presumably the controller is still getting powered down. Maybe this has to do with the renaming _RMV to XRMV?

EDIT: Looks like OS X is seeing a hot-plugged thunderbolt device now, too! It doesn't work, but it shows many other signs of life. I will be able to post screenshots and the like once I get a DW1830 wifi card in (should be tomorrow). Though removing the device, which was a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter in the Apple TB3-->TB2 adapter, caused a slightly delayed system crash...

EDIT 2: Same edit allows DA200 to be hotplugged three times (only). That's weird...

Worth mentioning is that all this is without using Jonny4911's guide any more. I've actually been working on cleaning out unnecessary kexts, UEFI variables, and SSDT patches as well. There seems to be a number of redundant files using wmchris's original install guide with the 9560 modifications. Also, I re-patched AppleBacklightInjector for the UHD Touch panel since it had the wrong ID...

Something else I thought was neat was that my XPS enabled CoreStorage on install, so presumably FileVault might work, too.

• Like 1

I tried for HOURS to get AppleHDA working with no results. Back using VoodooHDA which is fine for now.  Let me know if you manage to get AppleHDA working!

esotera, you said that you were having problems with applehda. Just update to the latest fakepciid kexts (just released)and that should fix your problem. I put the latest applealc and lilo in clover/kexts/12.0 folder and codeccommander in there too.

esotera, you said that you were having problems with applehda. Just update to the latest fakepciid kexts (just released)and that should fix your problem. I put the latest applealc and lilo in clover/kexts/12.0 folder and codeccommander in there too.

Clover: Audio => Inject => 13

Latest AppleALC binary (v1.1.1)

Latest FakePCIID (v1.3.9)

Latest Lilu (v1.1.1)

Don't need CodecCommander. I'm using this right now and speakers work (have not tested headphones).

USB can also work natively with a simple DSDT edit to remove one line of code that breaks the SSDTs. I actually started my build over from scratch the day after I posted my above comments, and you don't need half the stuff in any currently existing 9550/9560 repo, and every kext I've needed (so far) can be stored in Clover/kexts.

EDIT: Headphones correctly switch to using the headphone port, but no audio comes from the headphone port. Mic seems to be working fine. It's just headphone output itself.... Hm...

EDIT: Headphones correctly switch to using the headphone port, but no audio comes from the headphone port. Mic seems to be working fine. It's just headphone output itself.... Hm...

Exactly the issue I had months ago. I need headphones though!

EDIT: scratch that, headphones work for me now too! bye bye Voodoo! I do have CodecCommander as well as the audio fix from my post still though.

EDIT 2: and by dropping xh_rvp11 instead of 10 I can indeed get rid of USBinjectall too. but no hotplugging on the usb-c port. DA200 works the first time I plug it in. anything after that will require a reboot.

What did you do to get the headphone port working? Is it just Codec Commander? Also, are you using audio layout 13?

Also, I think I had to add the "Fudge USB 3.1" code to your config for hotplug to work like I got it to, but I don't totally remember...

Got it! Yeah, so if you do this, audio works (except HDMI audio):

Clover: Audio => Inject => 13

Latest AppleALC binary (v1.1.1)

Latest FakePCIID (v1.3.9)

Latest Lilu (v1.1.1)

Codec Commander (v2.6.3)

And run the install.sh script in the attached folder (I modified Jonny's Audiofix), speakers, mics, and headphones work.

If you want the HDMi video hotplug fix, download NvidiaGraphicsFixup V1.1.1, and you won't need that command line patch for HDMI hotplug, either. (NVidiaGraphicsFixup has a name that is unrepresentative of what it actually does--it applies this, which has the same net effect as modifying board-ids in AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.)

HDMI audio, however, does not work.

AudioFix.zip

• Like 1

What did you do to get the headphone port working? Is it just Codec Commander? Also, are you using audio layout 13?

Also, I think I had to add the "Fudge USB 3.1" code to your config for hotplug to work like I got it to, but I don't totally remember...

I actually already have the fudge USB 3.1 in my config. hmm

Also, I re-patched AppleBacklightInjector for the UHD Touch panel since it had the wrong ID...

(Sorry, bit delayed, but I forgot to ask earlier) Does this change anything usage/function/performance wise? Any chance you could upload it here?  :D