[Guide] XiaoMi Mi Notebook Air 13"

JahStories

662 posts in this topic

Hi guys again. Today I've found this issue:

When connecting a display through the HDMI port, the notebook screen switch off and I can only see the image on the external display, so I cannot use both displays at the same time. Does anyone can confirm this or it is something that only happens to me?  Thanks in advance.

Just to note, I'm using FilesPack 2.0, macOS 10.12.3, bios A06. 

Hi AlbertAlpha; I've just tried and it is the same for me.. I don't know if it is for sure an hackintosh issue .. but could be interesting to find a solution. There might be some on the internet or on Insanelymac...(I will search after desperate fails on fixing brightness ^^)

For brightness, I just don't know in fact: It gives us control but it don't actually change the brightness.. I didn't get it to work even with the rehab man guide here (I know tonymac is not greatly consider here, but for solution purpose only:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-laptop-backlight-control-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/

I didn't dig on last solution (in last parts), so It might be why... But in the basic way I didn't get it to work.. I may do it wrong, or it just might have very different paths...

>Noob need help ^^ 

EDIT: BRIGHTNESS FIXED !! With Rehabman guide 

• Like 1

Hi mengpo, I think ClaudesTech was talking of my flag that I shouldn't need to use..

For the brightness, It might be a problem with intelbacklight kext... I don't know.. but that's interesting you've got the same trouble !

EDIT: Apparently, it doesn't work anymore in 12.4 but rehabman have done a guide for it, I will try.

Oh okay, I though guys you were talking about the brightness problem . My bad ;)

I've just saw the guide you mentionned I'll give a try too but I'm a bit hopeless with the DSDT/SSDT things... Thanks anyway :)

Hi guys again. Today I've found this issue:

When connecting a display through the HDMI port, the notebook screen switch off and I can only see the image on the external display, so I cannot use both displays at the same time. Does anyone can confirm this or it is something that only happens to me?  Thanks in advance.

Just to note, I'm using FilesPack 2.0, macOS 10.12.3, bios A06. 

I've just tried what you asked and everything's working fine (I can use the external display at the same time) under a A05 bios, 2.0 FilesPack and a Sierra 10.12.4

Hey mengpo, the guide works: follow all the step AND INSTALL the intelbacklight.kext in L/E (and delete it from clover/kext...) and don't forget the last step: with two reboot and "sudo kextcache -I /" 

If it still don't work, you might want to try to add the name of the aml in last, in Clover → ACPI → Sortedorder

EDIT: Well I'm realizing something: Inelbacklight.kext should not be compatible with Rehabman guide... so WHY it's working ?? I may just do too much things...

Anyone have any idea ??? 

EDIT: Okay It don't especially work with Intelbacklight.kext and should be delete after the guide.

Albertalpha: Now after fix the brightness I don't have your issue anymore... it maybe just because I've rebuild kext cache with sudo kextcache -I / ... or I don't know...

Do you have the brightness issue ?? 

Albertalpha: Now after fix the brightness I don't have your issue anymore... it maybe just because I've rebuild kext cache with sudo kextcache -I / ... or I don't know...

Do you have the brightness issue ?? 

I don't have the brightness issue because, as far as I know, this issue is only present with macOS 10.12.4 and I'm using 10.12.3.

But finally I've found the reason of my HDMI issue. If I switch to the native resolution of 1920x1080 before connecting the external display, it works!!. Can use both displays at the same time. If I connect the display while having enabled HiDPI resolution 1664x936 then it doesn't, the laptop screen stays black/off. That resolution is not shown on the display preferences. I've activated it with RDM.

@Nynko can you try if you can reproduce it? Or anyone else?

AlberAlpha: It must be a problem with resolution screen yes: because it actually automatically change it to 1920x1080..now... But when I had the same problem I was in 1664x936 or in 1536x864.. don't remember..

Did you try to change it again when you was in dual screen ? (it work for me)

If you change some screen resolution or stuff when you are in Hdmi, does it work then without go back in 1080p ? (Because in fact when it first work with me, the second screen appear as a second screen, so I changed a little bit the preferences.. Might help (or not ^^)...

Did you try to reinitialize the kext cache ? (since it might be one of the only thing I did that you can do, when I fix brightness) : "sudo kextcache -i /"

But as a noob I don't know the risk of doing such things, so take care...

About to the brightness see ClaudesTech's reply:

Ah ok, so you are not using nvme, the nvme drive is the pci-e one (the included one), the free slot is Sata! :)

Strange about the brightness, are you sure to be using the file pack correctly?

you can do it in safe mode (-x) [You'll have backlit there!]

P.s. 

I remember I had this issue one time, resetting nvram fixed.

Open terminal.

Type:

sudo nvram -c

Type:

your password

Reboot

should fix!

If it doesn't work again, you can try removing intelbacklight kext from the efi partition, you should regain backlight with this, you'll just lose some backlight steps.

• Like 2

Yes, I made some tests, intelbacklight kext is no longer compatible with the latest macOS versions, I suggest just to remove it, the only downside is having less steps, but brightness control will work the same!

:)

@nynko

I've sended you a pm with the config, please test it.

Does anyone have a problem with Activity Monitor when select Energy tab? When I select it application crashes and doesn't run until I edit or remove its config file.

W/A: Remove file /Users/<Username>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.ActivityMonitor.plist or change value of SelectedTab variable to anything other then 2.

Thanks ClaudesTech !!! It work perfectly without the flag now ; ) (I had just forgot the board Id right ?)

Nayzebo: I have the same problem as you, but removing this file or changing the value make Activity Monitor crash every time...

• Like 1

@ClaudesTech man i don't know what am i doing wrong but after I got to the clover menu and set the fake ID when i try to get to the macOS installer i got a prohibited signal.

I don't know where my problem could be, i guess i messed up something in the config.plist but if i'm not wrong the only thing I have to change there is the serial number in the SMBIOS using the cloud clover editor using the config.plist in the 2.0 package that you upload, right? (Macbookpro 13.1 is already set)

On the other hand, just in case, when i installed the Clover i used as a guide this picture that you uploaded in another tutorial with the only diference that i use the last release and that for some reason I don't know it doesn't let me install the last option (install Clover preference Panel) and I cannot see what options you are not installing in the Themes and Drivers64UEFI so I installed them all. Speaking about that last one i guess it's not important at all because when i have to copy the files to the EFI in the drivers64UEFI i understant that i have to erase everything and leave only the four files there are.

Image: http://i57.tinypic.com/160bojq.jpg

Thank you very much and sorry for being such a noob... :(

Oscar08850: Hi Oscar; I think you have made the same mistake as me in SMBIOS: You should try to generate a Board-Id and try again.

It is certainly a SMBIOS problem so if It doesn't work; you can try stuff there and let us know. 

• Like 1

Oscar08850: Hi Oscar; I think you have made the same mistake as me in SMBIOS: You should try to generate a Board-Id and try again.

It is certainly a SMBIOS problem so if It doesn't work; you can try stuff there and let us know. 

I have been able to solve the problem and i am running mac os on my xiaomi. The problem was that the cloud clover editor didn't get me a Board Serial Number, even if i put it myself, so I added with PlistEdit Pro. I used the one that AlbertAlpha said on page 9 of this thread (just in case anybody is having the same issue)

Back to my post-installation I have an issue with the folder HD/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-4d10 it is said in the ReadMi that:

From terminal:

sudo cp

[dragTheFileInTerminal]

/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-4d10Display/ProductID-1447

I'm sorry but i'm unable to make it work, I'm always getting errors. If I put the file on the Desktop could somebody give me the line I have to put on the terminal? That would work right? Because the drag the file in terminal part it's only to get the route of the file.

PS: In order to not depend on the USB to boot the system I have to install the clover the same way i did with the USB but using this time the ssd, right? I have always used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] on my hackintoshs and I don't want to screw it all now jajaja...

How much battery life do you guys get in MacOs ? I get almost 3h in normal condition (so I can certainly get 4h just going on the internet and don't watch a lot of videos)...

Is that approximately what you get or do you have more ? 

Hi, ClaudesTech!

I installed MacOS 10.12.3 in my Mi notebook with your tutorial, but battery life is only about 4 hours (just a little web surfing, not for online videos), can u share your setting to make the battery life longer?

Meanwhile, I only use 3 fingers to slide up this function, how to set up to achieve more 3 fingers gestures on the keyboard preference panel?

At last, thank you very much for your contribution!

Hi all,

Great initiative! Love your work.

EDIT: Stupid me, I didn't know the existing SSD that ships with the laptop is NVMe (which isn't supported). Off to buy an SSD I guess!

I've been following the guide with an existing Windows installation on Xiaomi 13.3" with the goal of eventually dual booting into OS X and Windows 10. I installed Clover onto the Windows EFI partition using this manual installation guide (pretty easy): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/310038-manually-install-clover-in-windows/and copying over the files in the pack to the EFI. 

The Clover installation works fine to boot into the macOS Installer USB, but I can't see my existing SSD to install onto. I ran a "diskutil list" in Terminal and only the USB drive shows.

I was trying to save reinstalling Windows, but I don't mind wiping the whole drive if I need to. I shrunk the Windows partition in Disk Management to make spare space for the Mac partition, but is there something else I need to do to make the SSD itself visible?

I'm also keen to buy another SSD for the spare slot in the laptop. Does the Windows installation then go on the new SSD and OSX on the existing SSD? I'm a little new to M.2 and NVMe concepts.

Also: would be good to mention a couple of missed steps.

1. I needed to first enter the Xiaomi BIOS settings with F2 after power on, create a user password to then disable Secure Boot or you'll get a Secure Boot error.
  2. You need to generate a SMBIOS Board-ID with the Clover Configurator wizard for the config.plist file in addition to the Serial Number. Otherwise I was getting a circle with a cross through it when booting on mac installer USB.

Maybe second nature to experienced people, but required some research for me the noob.

Hi McBanjo; You can still use the Nvme to install the Hackintosh, but it is not to discuss it here...

As ClaudesTech said earlier in this topic: It is not sure Nvme are stable, some people are reporting data lost... However, it is still working fine on mine. (You can use the patches Rehabman did and put them in Kernelandpatches in your configplist, but it is not the best solutions: see other posts about it.) 

Best solution is to buy another SSD that you will put in the second slot. (Don't forget to find the tools you need to open the xiaomi: I think a suction cup may be necessary)..

Anyway, someone better than me would be able to say more about it ; ) 

@ClaudesTech: 

About my battery, do you think our ACPI path or anything like that could be different on my xiaomi and not allow some patches or ssdt to load properly ? (Or could it simply be a problem since I'm using NVME ?) 

Well, must certainly be NVME; anyone can confirm lower battery life with NVME ? 

(I also can't swipe with three finger, I know that multitouch doesn't work, but this swipe apparently do, do you confirm ?)

• Like 1

Hi ClaudesTech again,

Im so happy with my Air 13 thanks to your work! Thx a lot once again!!!

Now, one questiuon where id need your help: I ve ordered a nano bt usb stick which is compatible with sierra out of the box, however:

I believe ill have to disable internal BT first for it to work, am i right? (Because i have another "native" usb bt dongle here, that works on a normal mac, but doesnt on the mi air...)

And if so, how do i do that? Via DSDT editing, i fear? If so, would you please be so kind to let me know what to change and how or provide a dsdt modified for external bt users like me with BT "off"?

That would be really awesome!

Gratie tanti!

Hi McBanjo; You can still use the Nvme to install the Hackintosh, but it is not to discuss it here...

As ClaudesTech said earlier in this topic: It is not sure Nvme are stable, some people are reporting data lost... However, it is still working fine on mine. (You can use the patches Rehabman did and put them in Kernelandpatches in your configplist, but it is not the best solutions: see other posts about it.)

Best solution is to buy another SSD that you will put in the second slot. (Don't forget to find the tools you need to open the xiaomi: I think a suction cup may be necessary)..

Anyway, someone better than me would be able to say more about it ; )

@ClaudesTech:

About my battery, do you think our ACPI path or anything like that could be different on my xiaomi and not allow some patches or ssdt to load properly ? (Or could it simply be a problem since I'm using NVME ?)

Well, must certainly be NVME; anyone can confirm lower battery life with NVME ?

(I also can't swipe with three finger, I know that multitouch doesn't work, but this swipe apparently do, do you confirm ?)

I get about 5h on my nvme setup.

On a side note, as I mentioned in the beginning of this thread, do NOT use clover to patch the nvme kernel extension. That's only to be used for the initial installation and future updates. Generate a patched kext instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi ClaudesTech again,

Im so happy with my Air 13 thanks to your work! Thx a lot once again!!!

Now, one questiuon where id need your help: I ve ordered a nano bt usb stick which is compatible with sierra out of the box, however:

I believe ill have to disable internal BT first for it to work, am i right? (Because i have another "native" usb bt dongle here, that works on a normal mac, but doesnt on the mi air...)

And if so, how do i do that? Via DSDT editing, i fear? If so, would you please be so kind to let me know what to change and how or provide a dsdt modified for external bt users like me with BT "off"?

That would be really awesome!

Gratie tanti!

Open the Xiaomiinjextxhc.kext package (right click), open Contents/Info.plist in some kind of editor. Remove the HS07 key block (I'm not 100% sure though, I think that was the one). Save and reboot.

Btw, it's grazie, not gratie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk