[Guide] XiaoMi Mi Notebook Air 13"

JahStories

662 posts in this topic

23si2j5.png

Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 13” 
Bios vers A05 — CPU i5 6200U (Confirmed working on A06 Bios too)

2.1 PACK FOR HIGH SIERRA ONLY, FOR SIERRA USE 2.0

Not working (Sierra Pack 2.0):
Wi-fi / Bluetooth. (Bluetooth works if using a VM to inject the FW)
NVME Drive. (to discuss about using it, since that not supported "by this filespackage“, open a specific thread or use PMs)
Nvidia Optimus 940MX GPU. (Optimus does not work on macOS at all)

Not working (High Sierra Pack 2.1):
Wi-fi / Bluetooth. (Bluetooth works if using a VM to inject the FW)
Nvidia Optimus 940MX GPU. (Optimus does not work on macOS at all)

WIP issues:
To fix the USB lid bug, now sleep is enabled partially and this drains the battery faster than usual, only when sleeping obviously.

Steps (Sierra Pack 2.0):

From Windows on a macOS VM or on a real mac, with sierra on the Application folder and the Usb drive connected and named USB, open terminal and paste this command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/ --nointeraction 

Install Clover to EFI and copy the files to the right folders, then edit the config.plist (with cce or clover configurator) to add serial numbers to the smbios, use macbookpro13,1.

Plug the usb drive to your Mi Notebook and Install with a fakeID.

To boot with fake id select the Gear icon - Graphics Injector - FakeID and insert: 0x123456789 as in this picture:

equqn6.jpg

After the installation boot with fakeID.

Due to a Clover bug on kext patching you'll have to use this workaround...
Copy from /System/Library/Extensions AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer.kext to the desktop.
Install this kext with EasyKextPro.
Reboot without fakeID.
Instal the kext you have saved on the desktop with EasyKextPro.
Reboot without fakeID.
Install other files from the package as written on the ReadMIs .
Have Fun!

Steps (High Sierra Pack 2.1):

Create the installation flash drive with create install media or with your preferred tool.

Install Clover and copy all the files from the package to the EFI partition of your flash drive.

Install using a fakeid as shown in the picture below.

To boot with fake id select the Gear icon - Graphics Injector - FakeID and insert: 0x123456789

equqn6.jpgAfter the installation install clover and copy all the files to the EFI of the local disk and all other files from the pack.

Reboot

Have Fun!

When updating to new versions of the filepack:
Remove all old files and install the new ones following the ReadMIs.
Just remember to use the same serials you used before.

Don't use bios mods, other files with different patches or you'll get no help.

Special thanks to:
Jolly, gengik84, and RehabMan.

Download File package.

HiDPI Resolution Comparison:

207at00.jpg

1080p / 936p(HiDPI)

768p(HiDPI) / 720p (HiDPI)

Benchmarks:

GeekBench:

5179ec.jpg

Cinebench R15:

2h85ukh.jpg

By Jahstories on InsanelyMac a.k.a. EliJah on macos86.com

• Like 11

About NVME drive, you can make a separate config.plist that solely contains the KextToPatch to IONVMEFamily.kext for each version of OS X so that people with NVME SSDs can install onto it. Check Rehabman's patch-nvme github for more information. When the kext is successfully patched you can see Apple SSD Controller in NVMExpress option of System Report. And is the wireless card soldered into the motherboard ?

• Like 1

I know that nvme could work, but personally I'm not interested on enabling it, I know it could cause errors to the drive and I've Windows there and don'twanna mess it....Using a drive on the sata m2 slot is the best solution!

Who Wants to use it can patch the kext or use clover on the fly patching. :)

About the wifibt combo card, yes, sadly its soldered! :/

• Like 1

Hi there emela!

I don't think I'll write any specific guide for the installation, you can follow any generic one...

Btw I've wrote a little how to here on the Xiaomi's official forum

The important step is to use the provided files correctly.

The intel Gpu is activated by the config.plist automatically, if you are curious on how, it force the loading of a kext and inject a platform id.

• Like 1

Hi there emela!

I don't think I'll write any specific guide for the installation, you can follow any generic one...

Btw I've wrote a little how to here on the Xiaomi's official forum

The important step is to use the provided files correctly.

The intel Gpu is activated by the config.plist automatically, if you are curious on how, it force the loading of a kext and inject a platform id.

Hi ClaudesTech,

is trackpad multitouch working in MacOS on the Xiaomi?

I can't find anything about that except in the comments here. I've heard that multitouch is not working so far... but I need to hear that from someone who is already using MacOS on the Xiaomi. :)

• 2 weeks later...

OP asked me to post my findings here instead of the download page (which makes a lot of sense actually, pardon me).

I've been on 10.2.2 for a couple of days now and I really can't complain :)
Everything works great besides the issues mentioned by OP. The biggest issue as of now is that if the LID get's closed before you've put the Notebook to sleep via the menu, it will either crash or instantly wake up without usb.. The temporary solution is just to wait those 40-60 seconds for the notebook to fall asleep, before closing the lid. Annoying, yes, but not a deal breaker. Plus, OP is currently trying to find a solution for this issue as well.

There are a few things I'd like to share as well:

1. Although OP recommends against it, and he's probably right for doing so (once, my macOS partition got fully corrupted, maybe because of this or the lid issue - who knows), I've enabled NVMe using Rehabman's NVMe patcher (patch-nvme), in order to dual boot WIN/macOS. It's really simple to use and it will generate an inhibitor kext for you, which will allow you to install macOS on the nvme SSD; if the following files are applied to the installation pen drive that is.

You just gotta use these simple commands in a terminal on a 10.2.2 machine (I can't upload the patched files because of copyright reasons. At least I don't think so.)
    cd [patch-nvme dir]
    ./patch_nvme.sh --spoof 10_12_2
    After you've done that, copy my SSDT patch to /EFI/Clover/acpi/patched/ and the generated kext to /EFI/Clover/Kexts/.
    At last, you've got to add an entry by the name of SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml to the SortedOrder section (at the end is fine, doesn't really matter). You can do this either by using a plist editor, text editor or this fancy CloudConfigurator .

2. In order to use external Bluetooth dongles, you must first prevent the internal bluetooth chip from loading. Fortunately, OP has made this file for this purpose. Although I haven't personally encountered any issues by using it, OP has warned me that it could cause problems, so please use it with caution.

3. I've also created a custom resolution file by following one of Rehabman's guides. It will enable highDPI on 1664x936 and 1600x900. 1080p is way to small in my opinion, while 936p really hits the sweet spot on this machine IMO (plus, 936p res is a multiple of 8, thus a true 16:9 res). Be aware of the small performance decrease you will suffer due to the 2x rendering.
    In order to use them, activate them using RDM after applying the following commands:
  4. ​sudo cp [FILEPATH TO THE DOWNLOADED FILE GOES HERE] /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-4d10/DisplayProductID-1447
    sudo reboot

Final notes:

Although OP recommends against it, and as previously stated, my macOS partition got corrupted once, I don't personally think that it's unsafe to use the NVMe drive with Rehabman's new method of patching. Before, Clover was used to patch the kext responsible for NVMe which could end up in a semi patched state - prone to destruction. This isn't the case with this new patch. I'm a hackintosh noob though so take my words with a grain of salt.

All in all, OP et al. have done an amazing job. If only the LID issue could be resolved, I'd be fully satisfied.

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —--

EDIT: Some parts were missing.

Update: There certainly is something preventing it from sleeping properly. I've installed macOS on a separate drive now as well (vanilla, without any bloat) to make more scientifically accurate tests; and I've discovered that it can actually take up to 2 minutes to sleep. Especially if you try to put it to sleep right after it has awoken. There are also a bunch of usb related assertions that popup after entering the command: pmset -g assertions. Idk if that could possibly be the reason although it kinda seems like it.

• Like 2

Hi all,

I'm trying to install mac os on mi xiaomi air 13 in the m.2 new drive that I just bought yesterday following these instructions... After installing sierra and clover to the usb, and copying the files from the 1.06 pack to efi/clover, I boot clover from the USB fine, but just after loading some time the laptop restarts... I have booted in verbose mode, but can not see any usefull information in it.

Attached is the verbose screen just before reboot, hope someone can help me.

post-1947944-0-28169900-1484229988_thumb.jpg

Hi everybody,

i hope someone can help me. I took the version 1.06 of the package, added my "HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_2.kext" (But i did that on an El Capitan machine because its to old for Sierra) and followed the instructions as described by kevin_1351.

After you've done that, copy my SSDT patch to /EFI/Clover/acpi/patched/ and the generated kext to /EFI/Clover/Kexts/.
At last, you've got to add an entry by the name of SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml to the SortedOrder section (at the end is fine, doesn't really matter). You can do this either by using a plist editor, text editor or this fancy CloudConfigurator .

But when i boot from the USB stick i get the error wich is shown in the attachment

Thanks for any help

Nightdrive

post-1950893-0-49222500-1484438585_thumb.jpg

Hi everybody,

i hope someone can help me. I took the version 1.06 of the package, added my "HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_2.kext" (But i did that on an El Capitan machine because its to old for Sierra) and followed the instructions as described by kevin_1351.

But when i boot from the USB stick i get the error wich is shown in the attachment

Thanks for any help

Nightdrive

It has to be 10.2.2 obviously..

Edit: You could actually extract the kext from the 10.2.2 installer and symlink it or edit his patcher to direct it to the new file.

Or you could try to find a patched one online.

I can't share it cause it would be illegal. Stupidly enough :(

• Like 1

Alright guys. Thanks a lot for your feedback. I'll try to find it online first because to be honest i have no idea how to "symlink it or edit his patcher to direct it to the new file" :unsure:

btw: does it make any difference to copy it to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 or EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other? And is it ok to move kexts by drag and drop with finder? I read somewhere that some tools are recommend for that? Sorry for my noob questions

Kexts must be on 10.12 

About the kexts that have to be installed on System/Library/Extensions or Library/Extensions, you have to install those with a kext installer such as this one

About NVMe drive, I strongly suggest users not to use it, leave that for windows and buy an m2 sata drive to add to the empty slot on our xiaomi...

Thats the better solution.

• Like 1

i couldn't find the file online. I'll try that tomorrow at work with a MBP 13,1. Just to make sure i didn't misunderstand. I have to generate a spoof "HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_2.kext" on a 10.12.2 machine and copy that file to the kexts folder on my USB Stick, right?

Other thing: i was thinking to install a m2 WIFI Card but the connector is missig in my Xiaomi. :(  Maybe new revision?

The empty slot, without the soldered connector, is not a m2 wifi slot sadly, its a WWAN slot, the latest Mi Notebook Air, comes with a card on it...

No way to change our wifi card...

Kexts must be on 10.12 

About the kexts that have to be installed on System/Library/Extensions or Library/Extensions, you have to install those with a kext installer such as this one

About NVMe drive, I strongly suggest users not to use it, leave that for windows and buy an m2 sata drive to add to the empty slot on our xiaomi...

Thats the better solution.

Thanks for your great work! I really appreciate it! I'm just wondering if it's possible to deactivate the NVMe drive (there's Windows on it) so the SSD won't consume any energy under OSX?!

• Like 1

i couldn't find the file online. I'll try that tomorrow at work with a MBP 13,1. Just to make sure i didn't misunderstand. I have to generate a spoof "HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_2.kext" on a 10.12.2 machine and copy that file to the kexts folder on my USB Stick, right?

Other thing: i was thinking to install a m2 WIFI Card but the connector is missig in my Xiaomi. :( Maybe new revision?

There are no m2 wifi cards that are compatible with that slot anyway.

As for the Hackr, yeah, just drop it there and add the ssdt to the config.plist (read my first post). I've not had any corruption since that first post. But it's as OP said: use it at your own risk.

• Like 1