[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12.x on Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5

SavageAUS

97 posts in this topic

The SSDTs preset only inject in DSDT, the best is apply all in DSDT, dont have many sense use 10 micro tables to inject 10 patches in one table ;)

Apply all and much more in one table, the principal bios table, DSDT.

We can not drop the DSDT, the answer is in that sentence.

btw; great tuto :)

The only thing that's bugging me is that when I use Auto login on macOS Sierra, my background keeps resetting which I got it fixed by disabling the “Displays have separate Spaces”, setting the new backgrounds, rebooting and enabling it again. But my hard disk icons keep rearranging themselves after each reboot, and mouse pointer won't show at first so I have to click once then it appears.

I almost did everything and nothing worked so far.

I'm using  triple displays and it is so annoying, I didn't have this problem with El Capitan.

So for now I have to keep automatic login off.

Any suggestions?

I just enabled autologon, changed wallpaper, rebooted.

Wallpaper stayed.

Hard disk icons stayed as they were.

Forgot about mouse, reboot to see now.

EDIT: Mouse appeared in top left corner without a click, could move without clicking.

I just enabled autologon, changed wallpaper, rebooted.

Wallpaper stayed.

Hard disk icons stayed as they were.

Forgot about mouse, reboot to see now.

EDIT: Mouse appeared in top left corner without a click, could move without clicking.

Well, Thanks a lot, I don't know what could be the cause of my system's behavior.

although after using a single DSDT file and removing all the patches I didn't test that again, yet.

I'll give it another try and see how it goes.

Thanks again :)

• 2 weeks later...

Step 2.

Now that you have macOS Sierra successfully on your usb drive we need to make it bootable on your PC even though Terminal would have said it was making the disk bootable (real macs) we need Clover EFI bootloader. Clover EFI bootloader can be downloaded from HERE. Grab the latest version which at the time of writing is r3923. Once downloaded and extracted enter the Clover_v2.3k_r3923 folder and double click the Clover_v2.3k_r3923.pkg to execute and you will be greeted with the developers info page, hit continue.

The next page is important information, feel free to read then hit continue.

Now we are at the Standard Install on "insert HDD name here" we need to click the button to change install location <-- Important!! after selecting your USB drive which should be named "Install macOS Sierra" or "Install m...S Sierra" click Continue.

Now click Customise and then apply check marks to the following,

Install for UEFI booting only

Install Clover in the ESP (Automagically checked)

Drivers64UEFI > EmuVariableUefi-64

> OsxAptioFix2Drv-64

Just to be clear - are we supposed to de-select everything under "Drivers64UEFI" EXCEPT the two listed?

My install had every option selected under that category by default, so I'm de-selecting everything except the two listed...

(Trying to follow this guide exactly - since I'd like to get Sierra running on my box)

Just to be clear - are we supposed to de-select everything under "Drivers64UEFI" EXCEPT the two listed?

My install had every option selected under that category by default, so I'm de-selecting everything except the two listed...

(Trying to follow this guide exactly - since I'd like to get Sierra running on my box)

Yes that's correct. If everything is selected, deselect all the 2 listed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Step 6.

Once this process has completed your pc will reboot, make sure you press F12 at the bios splash screen to select your USB drive and from the clover screen select boot macOS from "macOS12".

After a few minutes you will see this. 

Choose your language and continue.

Choose your keyboard layout and continue through the rest of the images.

Now you should see the macOS Desktop.

This is where you would insert the USB containing the pre downloaded files from earlier.

First things first, we need to make the macOS bootable without a USB drive so we need to install clover to the HDD following the same procedure as earlier except making sure that you install it to the macOS drive this time instead of the USB.

Once you have installed clover to the HDD you can copy and paste your config.plist, and HFSPlus.efi into the specific locations needed as above.

Now, remember those kexts we put into the 10.12 folder on the USB? Yes? Good, now we will install those to the system drive. Open kext utility, enter your password, highlight all the kexts and drag them into the kext utility window, when prompted enter your password again.

Now you should be able to reboot your pc and (either pressing F12 for boot selection or del and set your first boot to macOS drive) boot from the internal drive.

For audio i use voodooHDA which you can get HERE but this will cause an annoying hiss, not to worry we will fix that. After installing voodooHDA reboot your pc and grab the two files from HERE.

Install the voodooHDA.Kext with kext utility. Copy and paste the VoodooHDA.prefPane into Library > PreferencePanes, enter password to authenticate and then double click the VoodooHDA.prefPane, Finally reboot again and audio should be working once selecting the right outputs from system settings.

If you use Nvidia graphics then you will need to install the the nvidia webdrivers, i have found the best method for this is with THIS app. Drag ond drop it into your applications folder then run it, hit check update, choose your build and hit download this version.....now if your current version of macOS isnt supported by the version of web drivers shown, you can fix this by clicking the button that says NVDAStartupWeb.kext patch and in the fake os build box enter 16B or whatever the first three characters of your build are and either patch immediately or tick the box for patch after installation. After the drivers are installed you will be prompted to reboot.....DO NOT! instead run this command in terminal 

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/info.plist

and scroll down until you find

<key>ConfigMap</key>

<dict>

Below that ^ you will see a bunch of lines with <key>Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86</key>

<string>none</string>

Find the strings that say Config1 or Config2 and change them to say none, save the file and exit.

You do not need to change all the strings you can just find the one that matches your "<key>" but its just as easy to change them all.

With that change made and saved you now need to modify your config.plist with your chosen editor.

In the BOOT section under Arguments you will see -v and nv_disable=1 you need to remove nv_disable=1 and up to you if you wish to leave the -v (Verbose Boot).

Now you can reboot your pc once you have saved your config.plist.

When reaching the desktop again you should now have fully functioning graphics with audio.

I hope this helps someone out.

Feel free to comment any changes that need to be made and i will update the guide.

All has been going like clockwork until I got to step 6 as quoted above.

In my case, after installing off of the USB Flash drive and rebooting, Clover's selections were (from memory) Boot From Install Mac OS Sierra on USB, Boot from Install Mac OS Sierra on <name of drive here>

The first option was obviously the step I had just finished - so I selected the second.

MacOS fired up and said something about 17 minutes of installation remaining.

After that was done and it rebooted again - THEN clover on the USB flash drive allowed me to do perform this:

"from the clover screen select boot macOS from "<Insert Drive Name Here>"" 

I then successfully installed Clover on the boot drive and installed all of the kexts.

Everything then went well - until I installed the web driver for my Nvida card.

In this step - I'm not clear on which config.plist is being referred to:

"With that change made and saved you now need to modify your config.plist with your chosen editor.

In the BOOT section under Arguments you will see -v and nv_disable=1 you need to remove nv_disable=1 and up to you if you wish to leave the -v (Verbose Boot)."

Is this the /Drive Name Here/EFI/ Clover/config.plist ?

As an experiment - I modified my boot options from the Clover boot menu - and enabled support for my Nvidia card.
This brought about the infamous "blank screen".

I know I'm missing something simple here to fix this - but it's been since last summer that I've done this last (installed el cap)

@strifecrafter

After the installation is done and you reached the desktop of macOS Sierra you can copy the contents of the EFI partition on the flash drive to the hard disk you installed the mac os and the re-configure the config.plist. 

To do so use cover configurator to mount the EFI partition on both USB drive and the drive you installed macOS to.

once you copied the folder open the config.plist and remove the "nv_disabled=1".

After installing nVidia Web Drivers yo need to add "nvda_drv=1" under Boot section and "NvidiaWeb" under System Parameters

to avoid booting to black screen you can either follow the instructions here or use "Lilu.kext" and "nvidiaGraphicsFixUp.kext" you have to copy those kexts inside the following path: EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12 or EFI/Clover/kexts/other on you bootable disk.

@strifecrafter

After the installation is done and you reached the desktop of macOS Sierra you can copy the contents of the EFI partition on the flash drive to the hard disk you installed the mac os and the re-configure the config.plist. 

To do so use cover configurator to mount the EFI partition on both USB drive and the drive you installed macOS to.

once you copied the folder open the config.plist and remove the "nv_disabled=1".

After installing nVidia Web Drivers yo need to add "nvda_drv=1" under Boot section and "NvidiaWeb" under System Parameters

to avoid booting to black screen you can either follow the instructions here or use "Lilu.kext" and "nvidiaGraphicsFixUp.kext" you have to copy those kexts inside the following path: EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12 or EFI/Clover/kexts/other on you bootable disk.

OK - I mounted both EFI partitions and copied the contents of the USB Flash drive's EFI folder to the boot disk's.

I modified config.plist to re-enable Nvidia drivers in the Boot section.

"NvidiaWeb" was already set to "YES" in the System Parameters section.

I boot up - and get the blank screen.

"to avoid booting to black screen you can either follow the instructions here or use "Lilu.kext" and "nvidiaGraphicsFixUp.kext" you have to copy those kexts inside the following path: EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12 or EFI/Clover/kexts/other on you bootable disk."

By "here" were you inferring to the instructions in this guide - or your post (#82) or the instructions in post #35?

​I'm going to try the instructions in post #35 and see if that helps...

By here meant in the first post of this thread

"Command in terminal 

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/info.plist

and scroll down until you find

<key>ConfigMap</key>

<dict>

Below that ^ you will see a bunch of lines with <key>Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86</key>

<string>none</string>

Find the strings that say Config1 or Config2 and change them to say none, save the file and exit."

Copy these files inside "/EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12" or "Other" folder on your bootable drive or macOS drive

which these kext files present you won't need to patch the AppleGraphicsDisplayPolicy.kext

strifecrafter

By using the AGDP-Fix.app or patching the AppleGraphicsDisplayPolicy.kext after each major update you'll have to redo all the steps to avoid the "Black Screen" issue. 

By using Lilu.kext and nVidiaGraphicsFixUp.kext, after each update you don't have to do any extra kext patching.

Archive.zip

Well,

I already followed the instructions in post #35 and ran the script.

It said basically there was nothing to patch - but asked if it should proceed anyhow - so I had it do so.

I rebooted and...

I'm actually running with Nvidia support - I'm quite surprised.

Now - next problem, got all excited since graphics was finally working and I was ready to restore from my latest El Cap time machine backup - and I just discovered it can't see the USB3 drive...

It's plugged directly into the back of the box like when it was running El Cap

Actually when you use the AGDP-Fix.app it patches the file for you, the out come is the same. Whatever makes you happy ;)

about the USB 3.0 you need to use a patched DSDT or SSDTs for the USB

Add the attached file to: /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched folder and reboot.

Let me know how it works.

You might also need to add the following entries inside your config.plist

Under Kernel and Kext Patches:

Name: AppleUSBXHCIPCI

Find*[HEX]: 83bd74ff ffff10

Replace*[HEX]: 83bd74ff ffff1b

Comment: change 15 port limit to 26 in XHCI kext (100-series)

MatchOS: 10.12.x

The patched DSDT file was provided by MaLd0n, so thanks to him we have a fully functional Hack! :thanks_speechbubble: MaLd0n

Update:

If you are going to use El Capitan see this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309352-el-capitan-on-ga-z170x-gaming-5/

But if you decide to use macOS Sierra, Thanks to SavageAUS you'll have all you need right here on this thread!  :thanks_speechbubble: SavageAUS

DSDT.aml.zip

Under Kernel and Kext Patches:

MatchOS: 10.12.x

The patched DSDT file was provided by MaLd0n, so thanks to him we have a fully functional Hack! :thanks_speechbubble: MaLd0n

Update:

If you are going to use El Capitan see this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309352-el-capitan-on-ga-z170x-gaming-5/

But if you decide to use macOS Sierra, Thanks to SavageAUS you'll have all you need right here on this thread!  :thanks_speechbubble: SavageAUS

First off, I'm currently running El Cap on a 2nd hard drive thanks to that very guide and your answering my newbie questions in that topic last summer - just like you are now :-)

I did copy the DSDT.aml file over to EFI directory under "patched" and rebooted - and sadly, no change - no USB drive.

Now - these steps:

"Under Kernel and Kext Patches:

MatchOS: 10.12.x"

Are greek to me...

I can creat the child "AppleUSBXHCIPCI" under Kernel and Kext patches via PlistEdit Pro, but I'm drawing a blank on the find and replace business...

*UPDATE*

I had walked away from the computer for about an hour and when I returned, my Time Machine drive was mounted.

So - it seems the DSDT file did it...

I'm now pretty much up and running with Sierra - BUT - I can't login to Messages.  It ran just fine under El Cap - is there something special to get it to work under Sierra?

It doesn't give me an error at the App signin window - it just greys it out briefly when I click "Sign In" - and then ungreys it.

I'm now pretty much up and running with Sierra - BUT - I can't login to Messages.  It ran just fine under El Cap - is there something special to get it to work under Sierra?

It doesn't give me an error at the App signin window - it just greys it out briefly when I click "Sign In" - and then ungreys it.

Make sure you have en0 available IntelMausiEthernet.kext installed in your EFI folder. under "/EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.12" or "Other"

In case you got the same error create new SMBIOS for you computer, save and reboot and test again.

IntelMausiEthernet.kext.zip

Yes. Myself and @cyberdevs will be writing a new guide. More than likely when 10.12 hits .6 final.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ah okay, hopefully it will hit final soon :-)

I'd be happy to test it - I'm going to re-do my system using a fusion drive now that I have a basic system up and running.

I was planning on running through this current guide again with the posts from cyberdevs to skirt the potholes I encountered.

I'd also be a good test candidate, since I'm not so overly experienced that I'd unconsciously correct minor errors w/out noticing.

Trust me, if someone leaves a manhole cover open in a guide, I'll fall down it :-)

I'd be happy to test it - I'm going to re-do my system using a fusion drive now that I have a basic system up and running.

I was planning on running through this current guide again with the posts from cyberdevs to skirt the potholes I encountered.

I'd also be a good test candidate, since I'm not so overly experienced that I'd unconsciously correct minor errors w/out noticing.

Trust me, if someone leaves a manhole cover open in a guide, I'll fall down it :-)

That would be great, just hold one it's almost ready! :)