Guide Clover Dell Precision 690 Workstation

chris1111

373 posts in this topic

Chris111,

I'm actually having the same issue as magnes.  No matter the configuration (nv_disable=1, Inject Nvidia false) or any other setting that i've been able to play with, I still can't get the installer to boot.  Clover seems fine, but booting the installer hasn't worked at all.

bumping to add my signature

Chris111,

I'm actually having the same issue as magnes.  No matter the configuration (nv_disable=1, Inject Nvidia false) or any other setting that i've been able to play with, I still can't get the installer to boot.  Clover seems fine, but booting the installer hasn't worked at all.

bumping to add my signature

Used this config.plist

Hey Chris, I just got me a nice precision 690 at an unbeatable price and was a bit confused on the type of memory it takes. The reason is I see in your about Mac it shows DDR3 ram where as others show DDR2. Mine comes with 8gb of Ram and not sure which type of DDR it is yet since I had to rush into work. I already made the USB so I'll attack it later on when I get home. Thanks

Hey Chris, I just got me a nice precision 690 at an unbeatable price and was a bit confused on the type of memory it takes. The reason is I see in your about Mac it shows DDR3 ram where as others show DDR2. Mine comes with 8gb of Ram and not sure which type of DDR it is yet since I had to rush into work. I already made the USB so I'll attack it later on when I get home. Thanks

I know for About the Ram but its 

ok its only etetic

I'm testing my 690 now with the USB installer but I'm not getting any display on monitor after clover loader. I even let it auto boot on its own and still the same. I thought it might have been the dvi issue you mentioned in the first page of the post so I got my DVI to VGA adapter and I'm still not getting anything on screen.

The config.plist didn't work. I'm still not getting past "_" after the clover menu. No text. Saw somewhere that they thought it was a bad usb install disk that's causing it, but I've tried this on several different disks. Also was able to take it to a dell T5400 and install there with the same disk that fails in the 690.

I'm testing my 690 now with the USB installer but I'm not getting any display on monitor after clover loader. I even let it auto boot on its own and still the same. I thought it might have been the dvi issue you mentioned in the first page of the post so I got my DVI to VGA adapter and I'm still not getting anything on screen.

What is the specs of the DELL Precision please ?

Put the rig on signature

Tried nv_disable =1 with no success. I ended up creating the USB with the Clover El Capitan V7 tool and just copied over the dsdt with the kexts folder to the new created USB and I got to the screen with just the spinning beach ball. I left it there for 30 mins and nothing. Even tried without caches and still the same issue.

Tried nv_disable =1 with no success. I ended up creating the USB with the Clover El Capitan V7 tool and just copied over the dsdt with the kexts folder to the new created USB and I got to the screen with just the spinning beach ball. I left it there for 30 mins and nothing. Even tried without caches and still the same issue.

Spining ball try flag

npci-0x2000

Well after numerous tries and I can honestly say that I've figured it out. The tool to create the USB installer is perfect on its own and that the lack of no picture or display on the monitor has to do with enabling pstates and creates, I unchecked those under the Clover settings and made sure I did verbose boot by hitting the tab key and pressed enter. That got me to the installer alone and didn't need to enter npci=0x2000. Will keep you posted upon post installation if I encounter any other issues.

As of right now, the pc is very quiet and responsive.  One thing i'm noticing is that i will lose my mouse function even when the laser light is lit, it happened 3x already since last night. I then made sure to enable usb injection and ownership under clover bootloader pci settings so we'll see.  Also, i'm still not able to boot if i don't uncheck the pstates and cstates and c6 under binaries. Could it be because i'm only running one dual core cpu on there and not like you have chris?  I already got the dual cpu's like you do just need one more heat sink so i could upgrade it.  Nonetheless, great machine for $65 bucks in my book.  Couldn't have done it without your help chris.. Merci beaucoup mon vieu!!

Edited by Blaggah
  • Like 1

Sleep/wake works without any issues but the only problem i kept facing with the Precision 690 was the freezes with my usb mouse and keyboards. I'd have to keep on unplug and replug until it became too much so I put it to rest for now.  Now i'm going to attack another beast.. HP XW8600 Workstation!!! Anyone know any details on that model please chime in.. Thanks.

• Like 1

Not so good on an apple to apple comparison with a real 2008 machine 64bit test not a 32 bit (which is always slower) most of them machines beat it.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=model%3A%22Mac+Pro+%28+2008%29%22+platform%3A%22Mac%22++bits%3A64

But he haves  

Intel Xeon E5462 @ 2.80 GHz 

2 processors, 8 cores

Little bit powered then my  :yes: 

For a 2x Intel® Xeon® CPU X5355 @ 2.66GHz

thats not Bad!  :D 

• Like 2

A installer like u did for Dell 690

My friend thats not easy to create and share Installer like that  :lol:

need lots of time and testing and I dont have the PC for testing my self :)

EDI****************

OK send me your Perfect complete EFI folder you are using for this 

and I build the program  B)

Did you Install any kext on SLE or LE for the PC ??

anyway send me All file you are using and the EFI Folder

• Like 1