Guide Clover Dell Precision 690 Workstation

chris1111

373 posts in this topic

Chris first of all i want to write that the problem with wake - sleep was my Magic Mouse! Oh yes! Because i have a genuine magic mouse BUT i don't have a bluetooth card adapter inside my Precision 490. Instead i have a USB adapter from HP. This is the specs of the adapter :

HP Bluetooth Adapter:

Product ID: 0xd104

Vendor ID: 0x03f0  (Hewlett Packard)

Version: 1.12

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Broadcom Corp

Location ID: 0x1d100000 / 1

Current Available (mA): 1000

Current Required (mA): 100

Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

For some reason there is not a hackintosh with USB ports to work perfect. So for some reason when the precision goes to sleep the HP Bluetooth Adapter wake the mouse and the mouse wake my precision 490. (Any fix someone? )
Another problem i have is that from time to time at random intervals the mouse is disconnected but maybe this is a problem of the mouse and not the adapter. Today i pair a bluetooth genuine apple keyboard 2009 model to find out if the keyboard is disconnected as well. Asap i will give feedback to everybody in the thread about possible disconnections with the genuine keyboard and my USB bluetooth adapter.

Also i want to confirm that i received the 2 xeon X5365 i have ordered from eBay  and although they have a slightly different socket (LPGA 771 instead PGA 771) which my default processor had (xeon 5160) they work perfect. So now my configuration is with 2 xeon X5365 processors.
But beware of this: According to wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Precision  

​the precision 490 come with 3 different Logic boards. Only the last one revision of Logic board works with Quad 53xx xeons !!! I copy paste the paragraph from wikipedia: 

The Precision 490 shipped with 3 different motherboards: part numbers DT031, F9382, and GU083. All three motherboard revisions are capable of running Dual-Core 5100 Series Xeon processors, but not all support the 5300 series Quad-Core Xeons. Evidence suggests that some GU083 motherboards support Quad-Core. 

I have the third motherboard of course (GU083.). So if somebody buy a precision 490 must buy the one with this last revision motherboard.

I have also watch a video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk_eRS8C-L0 for precision 690 and it has EXACTLY the some behaviour.   At the comments of the video writes:

Dell 690 must have the MY171 Rev. A02 or above mobo to work properly with dual quad cores. Mobo Rev A01 does not work ... I tried. By Rev A02 mobo, I am not specifying a bios revision. This is a mobo/hardware revision. There are many revisions of the Dell 690 mobo. Most 690 mobo revisions do NOT work with dual quad-core processors.

Be careful its not a BIOS UPDATE. It hardware update inside the motherboard!!!

P.S. Now i am working about making my precision more silent than an empty church . As soon as possible i will give you feedback about the project of silence.

• Like 1

Chris first of all i want to write that the problem with wake - sleep was my Magic Mouse! Oh yes! Because i have a genuine magic mouse BUT i don't have a bluetooth card adapter inside my Precision 490. Instead i have a USB adapter from HP. This is the specs of the adapter :

HP Bluetooth Adapter:

Product ID: 0xd104

Vendor ID: 0x03f0  (Hewlett Packard)

Version: 1.12

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Broadcom Corp

Location ID: 0x1d100000 / 1

Current Available (mA): 1000

Current Required (mA): 100

Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

For some reason there is not a hackintosh with USB ports to work perfect. So for some reason when the precision goes to sleep the HP Bluetooth Adapter wake the mouse and the mouse wake my precision 490. (Any fix someone? )

This is Strange because I dont have issue on my Precision 690 everything working almost perfect like a Mac Pro

I am compelling Clover inside this machine in 25 minutes and the compilation needs a lot of power ( RAM and CPU )

No bluetooth issue of course I have WIFI Bluetooth BROADLOOM BCM94360CD PCI Expres card

Difficult for me to helping on that because I never faced to this problem 

Chris yesterday i worked for 2 hours in front of my precision dell 490 .

Conclusion:

The bluetooth adapter i think is OK. The problem is on magic mouse. Although my magic mouse was disconnected  at random intervals from time to time, my apple genuine bluetooth keyboard was connected very rock solid. Now its time to try my real apple trackpad on my precision 490 and i will give you feedback. 

Question:

1)With which application did you compile clover?

2)You have this card :Star Tec- 2 Port SATA 6 Gbps PCI Express SATA Controller Card . Did you see a reasonable difference in benchmarks also in real conditions as well? 

Chris yesterday i worked for 2 hours in front of my precision dell 490 .

Conclusion:

The bluetooth adapter i think is OK. The problem is on magic mouse. Although my magic mouse was disconnected  at random intervals from time to time, my apple genuine bluetooth keyboard was connected very rock solid. Now its time to try my real apple trackpad on my precision 490 and i will give you feedback. 

Question:

1)With which application did you compile clover?

2)You have this card :Star Tec- 2 Port SATA 6 Gbps PCI Express SATA Controller Card . Did you see a reasonable difference in benchmarks also in real conditions as well? 

Différence on benchmarks I dont know, I not test the original SATA 3

This card working in SATA 6 and I see the speed diferance  :D

I compilling Clover with my Compilling App

Clover Créateur

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone (and specially chris1111) :jester:

Today i tried to do this install on my Dell 690 - and what can i say - RUNS LIKE HELL^^

Thank you a Tousand Times for giving my old Workstation a new Life as a MacPro 3.1 :drool: :drool:

BUT...i am sure it has been asked before...maybe i just overlooked it... has the USB Thumbdrive

to stay in the Machine? When i remove it my PC give me an error on bf1 before booting.

Also i put it back in and the Clover Bootloader lets me choose my SSD and all is fine.

So thanks in advice and again REALLY AWESOME WORK :queen: :queen:

• Like 1

I have also watch a video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk_eRS8C-L0 for precision 690 and it has EXACTLY the some behaviour.   At the comments of the video writes:

Be careful its not a BIOS UPDATE. It hardware update inside the motherboard!!!

P.S. Now i am working about making my precision more silent than an empty church . As soon as possible i will give you feedback about the project of silence.

Well i guess I should say i'm somewhat satisfied with my Precision 690 now.  All the loudness of fan i was facing was due to the fan i added on the lower back of the pc behind the ram slots. The fan happened to be a cool master which seem to be 4 pin which was connected to the 3 pin connector from the PSU. Im not sure if that could cause the flow of the fan to spin faster and louder, but i swapped it with another blue led 3 pin connector and the noise is more tolerable.  Now i won't have the need to run other machines.  I'm still going to find a way to mode and swap the fan that's on top of the ram slots as well.

Hello Everyone (and specially chris1111) :jester:

Today i tried to do this install on my Dell 690 - and what can i say - RUNS LIKE HELL^^

Thank you a Tousand Times for giving my old Workstation a new Life as a MacPro 3.1 :drool: :drool:

BUT...i am sure it has been asked before...maybe i just overlooked it... has the USB Thumbdrive

to stay in the Machine? When i remove it my PC give me an error on bf1 before booting.

Also i put it back in and the Clover Bootloader lets me choose my SSD and all is fine.

So thanks in advice and again REALLY AWESOME WORK :queen: :queen:

Simple Run the Post Installer on the HD

• Like 1

Simple Run the Post Installer on the HD

Hello and thanx again

I am such a marron

I will try as soon as possible i.e. When home from Work

A nice day for all of you

Cheers

*UPDATE*

just ran the !Custom! Post installer again, updated via App-Store to 10.11.5 and startet downloading my purchased Games and Apps :) everything runs fine now.

Thanks again to the whole Staff for this great experience :w00t::thumbsup_anim::hyper: 

i think the Machine is booting faster then with Win7 before.

Really really happy :))))

:rolleyes:

Well i guess I should say i'm somewhat satisfied with my Precision 690 now.  All the loudness of fan i was facing was due to the fan i added on the lower back of the pc behind the ram slots. The fan happened to be a cool master which seem to be 4 pin which was connected to the 3 pin connector from the PSU. Im not sure if that could cause the flow of the fan to spin faster and louder, but i swapped it with another blue led 3 pin connector and the noise is more tolerable.  Now i won't have the need to run other machines.  I'm still going to find a way to mode and swap the fan that's on top of the ram slots as well.

I share with you some experience this week with my Dell 690

for a couple days I notice my Temp CPU Higher at 58, 59 and I dont know why??

I listen my fan little bit speed up and I find the problem  :yes:

I just change the Termal paste ( Arctic Silver 5 ) and BOUM Voila  :D  go back to 46 CPU Temp

and the Fan speed down  :wink_anim:

• Like 1

Very soon i will post with details a total noiseless solution for a real SILENT dell  precision 490 (Mine is 490 but i believe it is the same for you with 690). Maybe this evening i will finalize my project for something serious very very silent. So stay tuned ....

off topic question: How can attach a file on a post?

• Like 2

Just 

Great News Really appreciated

How to upload files

Thanks for the help. I am stupid :(

Now what i promise to everyone http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312255-how-to-made-your-dell-precision-490-690-a-silent-pc/

Feel free ask me whatever. I am tired right now but asap i will update my post and my tests on the project. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And without noise anymore  :P Chris believe me, it is fast. Faster than a lot of i7! 

I know I have a  2 X X5355 2.66  and its stable like a ROCK Wall  :rofl:

A couple of questions I did a clean install on my second hd but I can't get clover to boot unless I use the usb. Also does the sleep mode kill the internet connection ?

Thanks

what did you do exactly?

A couple of questions I did a clean install on my second hd but I can't get clover to boot unless I use the usb. Also does the sleep mode kill the internet connection ?

Thanks

Did you run the clover installer? Meanwhile you run the installer, clover has a button "select installation disk" press the button and select the desired HD. Also after you finished drag and drop the config.plist from USB to the EFI>CLOVER and also drug n drop from USB the folder called "10.11" to EFI>Clover>Kexts>10.11.

Every computer in the world stop to transmit and receive date when it is on sleeping mode. There only 1 exception. To wake a remote computer from a local computer.   In this exception the sllep mode give a small power and a small priority to the network card which is asleep. But you can e.d. keep downloading files with the computer on sleeping mode. 

Great !

Enjoy  :D Thanks 

Hi

I tried the customize install but it gives me an error on the install I can still only boot to Yosemite from the USB. It just says installation failed. I think the problem is in creating the EFI not sure but I have EFI folder to access.

Do you have Clover on ML ?

No I used a different installer chameleon but the ML shows up in Clover.

Clover EFI installer log - Mon May 30 10:19:49 PDT 2016

Installer version: v2.3k r3330 EFI bootloader

======================================================

/dev/disk0

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk0

1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1

2:                  Apple_HFS Yosemite                249.2 GB   disk0s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

/dev/disk1

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk1

1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1

2:                  Apple_HFS Mountain Lion           499.8 GB   disk1s2

/dev/disk2

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *8.2 GB     disk2

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1

2:                  Apple_HFS MacUSB                  7.8 GB     disk2s2

/dev/disk3

0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *1.5 TB     disk3

1:               Windows_NTFS IMAC External           1.5 TB     disk3s1

ERROR: can't mount ESP partition (disk0s1) !

Check that the partition is well formated in HFS or Fat32.

To format as HFS use command like:

sudo newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/rdisk0s1

This is the only clover file I see looks like the error is there now I just have to figure out what the cause is.

Ok I setup the EFI CLOVER so I will give that a try and see how it goes. Seems to boot from drive now so that's better.

Is there something needed to be done for sound it seems that th sound isn't working for me?

Ok after a little searching found the appleHDA kext used kext wizard now everything seems to be normal

post-1589289-0-31544300-1464635635_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...