BCM94352 Working in OSX, but not in Windows!?o.O

jcsnider

32 posts in this topic

I have a challenge for you today!

I am using a 3rd gen X1 Carbon still. Yosemite 10.10.3 is up and running perfectly. Using FakePCID kexts I was able to install and use the Dell DW1560 (BCM94352Z) card in my laptop on OSX. Haven't tested handoff, or 5ghz but it connects to my home 2.4ghz router, I can watch netflix and everything is great!

But if I go back one gear, Windows and Linux have both rolled over and thrown up the white flag.

Bluetooth works fine.

Wifi drivers install fine but it cannot scan or fails to find ANY access points. Furthermore, I can create an adhoc network on my laptop and it broadcasts to the point where my iPhone can find it.

It's as if the wireless card on Windows simply cannot receive any data. (But it works in OSX!!)

Here is what I have tried:

• BIOS Update
  • Windows 7, 8.1 and 10
  • 15-20 different drivers ranging from Dell brand, Lenovo, Asus, Microsoft default, etc
  • Taping Pins 54 & 56 which are the W_Disable pins.

No matter what I do, I cannot locate or connect to wifi networks on the windows end. I know its not a BIOS block because it works in OSX. It could need whatever the windows equalivant of a DSDT patch but that is above my head.

Any ideas? I am not the first one to buy one of these cards and experience this behavior. (not gonna link to tmx XD)

Thanks so much to the brave soul who attempts to wrap their mind around this.

hello

u have big problem if u don't have MS compatible drivers for the card...

realy never see that in windows.. something working good in mac os x .. and don't work in the must compatible hardware system

but .. every day i'm here to learning something ...

good hack

The standard drivers install fine.The card is recognized... it even acts like it scans. I can change the driver settings, power management, etc it just never finds an access point. It's super bizarre. 

I will put the card back into my laptop and try those 'modified' drivers. They look like the standard Lenovo ones though. Where did you find them?

Follow up. I appreciate the attempt but that is a no-go with those drivers. They were compatible and associated correctly but like all the other versions I've tried, they failed to locate all wireless networks nearby as if no scanning is occurring at all. (Still working fine in OSX though. lol)

Hi legot,

Thanks for following up. The X1 Carbon does not have a hardware switch to disable the wireless radio. With that said I have hit the function key that is marked to disable all wireless radios several times to no avail.  I believe it is something much more complex under the surface.

Thanks,

JC

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Pin tapping doesn't worked for me on Sony Vaio Pro 13 with a replaced BCM94352ZAE (the original one was a Intel 7260ng). I have the same exact problem that occurs with @jcsnider. The card work on OSX but not in Linux or Windows. In both, the card is recognised, but can't search for networks. I already tried almost all drivers found on internet.

pin in M.2 or NGFF http://lybomudr.ru/en/blogen/132-zapuskaem-wi-fi-modul-pci-express-m-2-ngff-bcm94352z-bcm94352zae-dw1560-pod-windows-10-v-acer-v3-371-i-drugikh-2.html More on: https://applelife.ru/threads/wi-fi-moduli-v-formate-pci-express-m-2-ngff.41926/

• 1 month later...

Just like to report this is an issue with my bcm4352z in my Sony Vaio Pro 13, Windows doesn't work at all. Linux scans and sometimes connects with broadcom-wl drivers but is extremely slow and unstable. Im posting from OSX with a super stable 500mbps connection..

Windows is surely a lost cause but im very interested as to why it doesn't work on Linux, I want to report it upstream to broadcom maintainers, but it seems unlikely to get support since this chipset isnt supported by the open source driver (yet)?

The strange thing is, this bcm4352z wouldn't work in a similar toshiba laptop, but after i tapped the pins, it worked fine in that device, but it didnt change anything on my sony.

I am surprised that others are having the same problem across multiple systems. We need to bring more attention to this.   I eventually bought the Lenovo branded bcm4352z to try and had the same exact issue. 

I have been in contact with 2-3 other X1 Carbon owners and they all saw the same behavior. I eventually bought a usb wifi adapter for OSX use but it is beyond awful, otherwise I'd have a perfect setup.

Are there any pros out there that would consider working with us to isolate the cause of this or otherwise point me in the right direction to start debugging?

I was thinking...

In OSX we need to mask the ID in Clover to get the WiFi to be recognized. (FakeID WIFI = 0x43a014E4). The board then becomes recognized as one BCM4360 802.11ac.

We can perhaps try to modify the card ID in the EEPROM, following the method explained here:

http://www.thinkwiki...CI_network_card

What do you think?

People with the same card can throw it in other Windows machines with the same drivers and get it to work.   Therefore something specific about our hardware/bios communicating with the OS. (Since this card works fine in OSX) if I were to modify the card id I would probably aim to make it look like my Intel 7265ac (if possible) and then force windows to use the broadcom drivers.  Do you think it would work on these newer cards? I'm willing to give it a shot.

I suggested the possibility, but I can't risk the card. I have to import it, it's too much costly for me (time to receive another and money). In other conditions, I would already have tried. Today I will search for some whitelisting in the bios file, but it will be difficult, since we have no visual notification of his presence.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Same here, card working in 10.12 macOS but can't join any networks on Windows (scanning works fine). The windows event log shows that when trying to join a network it receives no reply from the AP.... :(

• 1 year later...

Any resolution ever found on this?  Sorry to bump an old thread, but issue still exists with BCM94352z on my Lenovo T440S with BIOS modded to remove whitelist.  Works great in High Sierra, no networks found in Ubuntu or Windows 10.  Bluetooth works fine everywhere.

There are some warnings out from the sellers at the sales offers that this card might not work with Lenovo and HP.

My thougt was because of the whitelist but may be there are other different issues too ...

I also could not get it work in Win to connect with any wifi network.

• 4 months later...