IntelMausiEthernet.kext for Intel onboard LAN

Mieze
1,013 posts in this topic

@Mieze,

I am running into a problem potential related to the drive. Here is the symptom: when computer boot up, the everything works fine, but when the computer wakes up from sleep, sometimes ( not always), the computer freezes: i.e. No KP, but screens just freezes, keyboard stops working as well. After removing IntelMausiEthernet.kext, there is no more freezes. The computer is HP EliteDesk 800 G1. The NIC is onboard Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-LM (rev 04). I am running macOS 10.12.6. I tried IntelMausiEthernet version 2.2.0. And recompiled from latest codebase (2.3.0), both show the same symptom. Any hint to how can I debug this problem? I really hope that I could get your driver working on the computer. Thanks a lot!

@Mieze,

I am running into a problem potential related to the drive. Here is the symptom: when computer boot up, the everything works fine, but when the computer wakes up from sleep, sometimes ( not always), the computer freezes: i.e. No KP, but screens just freezes, keyboard stops working as well. After removing IntelMausiEthernet.kext, there is no more freezes. The computer is HP EliteDesk 800 G1. The NIC is onboard Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-LM (rev 04). I am running macOS 10.12.6. I tried IntelMausiEthernet version 2.2.0. And recompiled from latest codebase (2.3.0), both show the same symptom. Any hint to how can I debug this problem? I really hope that I could get your driver working on the computer. Thanks a lot!

First of all, as your system has a Q87 chipset and an I217LM, there is probably some remote management software built into the BIOS. Make sure that it's disabled completely. As you don't get a KP but a system freeze I assume that the ME is in control of the NIC which may explain the freeze. Also check other BIOS settings and take a look at the DSDT. Sleep wake problems often result form BIOS and/or DSDT problems and are hard to debug. Also try to disable WoL in System Preferences as it may help too. I had an instant reboot on wakeup with WoL enabled on my development machine too and was able so resolve it with a DSDT patch and a change in the BIOS settings. Good luck!

Mieze 

• Like 1

First of all, as your system has a Q87 chipset and an I217LM, there is probably some remote management software built into the BIOS. Make sure that it's disabled completely. As you don't get a KP but a system freeze I assume that the ME is in control of the NIC which may explain the freeze. Also check other BIOS settings and take a look at the DSDT. Sleep wake problems often result form BIOS and/or DSDT problems and are hard to debug. Also try to disable WoL in System Preferences as it may help too. I had an instant reboot on wakeup with WoL enabled on my development machine too and was able so resolve it with a DSDT patch and a change in the BIOS settings. Good luck!

Mieze 

@Mieze, Thanks a lot for your tip. You are right, there is an AMT built into BIOS. I tried to disable it completely from BIOS. But, the computer couldn't boot up anymore, it seems waiting for something after loading ethernet driver.  The good news is that after I disabled the watchdog, (the watchdog is 5 seconds, and it is more or less matching the delay between computer wakes up and hang when watchdog is enabled), and disabled WOL, I didn't see hang problem(crossing fingers).  thanks for a lot for your great effort providing the driver, and your suggestion that fixed the hang problem!

• 3 weeks later...

@Mieze

love this kext, but... is there any feature to "hide" the whole bootlog messages while using this kext during verbose boot?

Any bootvariable to set "silent boot" w/o any printouts in the bootlog while verbose booting?

Just a question and please don't worry, if this is not a feature yet, neither planned for a common release. Thanx in advance. Regards.

@Mieze

love this kext, but... is there any feature to "hide" the whole bootlog messages while using this kext during verbose boot?

Any bootvariable to set "silent boot" w/o any printouts in the bootlog while verbose booting?

Just a question and please don't worry, if this is not a feature yet, neither planned for a common release. Thanx in advance. RegardsWhat.

Personally I wonder why anybody wants to have this feature?  :wacko:

By the way, it's an open source driver any everybody is free to modify it according to his/her needs.

Mieze

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am running an AsRock H170M-ITX-ac with an Intel I219V interface under 10.12.1 with version 2.2.0d4, injected by Clover. When I boot the system with the cable connected, everything works fine. If I pull the cable and then reinsert, the status of the interface starts to toggle between 'Cable Unplugged' and 'Not Connected' and I have to reboot to get ethernet working again.

This board also has an extra Realtek 8111H interface. At first I had not installed the Realtek driver and the problems described above already appeared. I installed the Realtek driver and if then I pull and reinsert the cable on the Realtek 8111h interface, ethernet comes back up again with no problems.

Anyone any ideas what could be going wrong with the I219V port?

Rgds,

Tom

The problem I encountered is the same as yours, the difference is my laptop is HP820G4, and the driver is v2.3.0

Mieze also helpless...

The problem I encountered is the same as yours, the difference is my laptop is HP820G4, and the driver is v2.3.0

Mieze also helpless...

These kind of problem results from something else being in control of the NIC. Check your BIOS settings and make sure that any kind of remote management software and the UEFI network stack are disabled.

Mieze

@Mieze

These kind of problem results from something else being in control of the NIC. Check your BIOS settings and make sure that any kind of remote management software and the UEFI network stack are disabled.

Mieze

Thank you for your attention. I have checked the BIOS settings, the relevant options only "wake on lan" and "lan/wan switch", and are disabled. I installed windows 10, kali linux, centos linux, freebsd with this laptop, the NIC works fine. I guess the problem is handle of the cable plug state, Can you make a tool to debug and log data? I will be a dedicated tester.

I hope my poor English can express my wishes correctly.

I guess the problem is handle of the cable plug state, Can you make a tool to debug and log data? I will be a dedicated tester.

There is no need to make anything because you can use the debug version of the driver as it logs such events in detail. If there was a problem with link state detection, you should find some related log messages in the kernel logs when you plug/unplug the cable.

Mieze

@ACIDSkyRU: Use the debug version of the driver to collect more detailed logs and report back with log data containing at least one complete boot sequence. Please don't upload the complete file as it's no fun to search for log messages in a > 500MB file.

Mieze

Nothing helped. Rolled back BIOS to older versions. On the website Tony, there are reports on the plant of my Board (ASUS Z170i gaming pro) and it works. There is a possibility of conflict with Lilu.kext and plugins?

Provided the BIOS updates also contain a ME firmware update, have you chosen to update the ME firmware too while installing the BIOS update?

I don't think that a Lilu plugin is causing the driver failure, at least I have no reason to assume it might be but, as not all of them are open source, it's hard to rule out completely.

Please post an IOReg dump. Use version 3.0.2 of IORegistryExplorer to create the dump.

Mieze

Provided the BIOS updates also contain a ME firmware update, have you chosen to update the ME firmware too while installing the BIOS update?

I don't think that a Lilu plugin is causing the driver failure, at least I have no reason to assume it might be but, as not all of them are open source, it's hard to rule out completely.

Please post an IOReg dump. Use version 3.0.2 of IORegistryExplorer to create the dump.

Mieze

dump attached

iMac.zip

@Mieze

May be you already know this, may be no

LAN Disable register A0h, bit0=1 -> disable LAN controller

Is it causing such error?

The driver fails with "Failed to get adapter data with error -3." which means that the NIC's flash region isn't mapped but I have no idea why.  :unsure:

Mieze

EDIT: Have you enabled FixRegions in your Clover config file?

Edited by Mieze

The driver fails with "Failed to get adapter data with error -3." which means that the NIC's flash region isn't mapped but I have no idea why.  :unsure:

Mieze

EDIT: Have you enabled FixRegions in your Clover config file?

I blocked in the BIOS the option "IOAPIC 24-119 Entries" error was - "failed to get adapter data with error -2"

I blocked in the BIOS the option "IOAPIC 24-119 Entries" error was - "failed to get adapter data with error -2"

The screenshot you posted yesterday shows error -3 but error -2 means that there is a problem with the PHY which is most likely still under control of the management engine (ME).