IntelMausiEthernet.kext for Intel onboard LAN

Mieze
1,013 posts in this topic

So I did those things (above), as well as upgraded my BIOS to the latest level --still doesn't see the card :( .

Any thoughts on what I should try next?  Do I need to go buy an Ethernet card?  What I don't understand is how it was initially working and then quit.  

Thanks,

Marc

So I did those things (above), as well as upgraded my BIOS to the latest level --still doesn't see the card :( .

Any thoughts on what I should try next?  Do I need to go buy an Ethernet card?  What I don't understand is how it was initially working and then quit.  

Check the BIOS settings again. The error message is a result of the fact that the driver doesn't have full control over the NIC because something else accesses it.

Ah, don't forget that you have to enable Network Stack first in order to disable Ipv4 PXE Support and Ipv6 PXE Support and after that disable it again.

Mieze

Hello, I am desperately trying to get my onboard Intel Gb ethernet card to work on my hackintosh.

An overview of my system can be found attached (#3).

When I upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan via Clover the network interface did not initially work.  I followed instructions online to remove the listings in Network for each component, delete the preferences files, reboot and manually install interfaces in Network.  This initially worked.  But then I had to change my machine definition and it quit working.  I haven't been able to get it working again.  Here is what I have tried:

• switched my machine profile back to iMac 14,2
  • multiple drivers (finally have settled on Mausi)
  • removing my TP Link WIFI card
  • checking BIOS to ensure the settings were as indicated in the troubleshooting section of this thread
  • installed the debug version of the mausi driver

Other potentially relevant information:

• System Report --> Ethernet: indicates that no PCI ethernet card cannot be found
  • DPCI Manager indicates that the onboard card is present (see attached image)
  • Terminal indicates that the Mausi driver is loading (see attached image)

I would be eternally grateful for any help you could provide.

Thanks,

Marc

if your machine definition is correct, try to restart your computer, my ethernet card can only be recognized after reboot, and i still don't know why.

Are there particular areas I should be looking at?  There is only one LAN related setting I can see, which is enable / disable onboard LAN controller.

Should I post my BIOS settings?

In some BIOS configs, you have to press a certain combo of keys to unlock hidden features, like CTRL + F1. It will allow you to change options that are normally hidden. Either that, or your current firmware version is void of those features and they are either enabled or disabled by default.

Hey I've been having some issues getting my ethernet card working fully. Using AppleIntelE1000e.kext and I also tried your kext as well.

My ethernet on board reads as Intel 82578dc under DPCIManager when it is working, and in PCI list.

I have very weird behavior where the NIC is not recognized on a fresh startup, but if i RESTART the computer (apple menu>restart) the NIC gets recognized. It works fine with no interruptions (as far as i can tell) until i Shutdown (apple menu>shutdown) and start up again from scratch.

I am not sure what could be causing this, I tried clover injecting kexts, fakeid, and some dsdt edits but Im not sure exactly if i made correct edits or not (i am not that great with dsdt language).

Hi, after looking at my console messages for Shutdown/Startup process vs Restart process, I notice this line in the console during startup, but not restart.

kernel[0]: Ethernet [intelMausi]: Failed to get adapter data with error -3.\

I am not sure if this helps figure out my issue at all.

Hi, after looking at my console messages for Shutdown/Startup process vs Restart process, I notice this line in the console during startup, but not restart.

kernel[0]: Ethernet [intelMausi]: Failed to get adapter data with error -3.\

I am not sure if this helps figure out my issue at all.

It means that the ME or the BIOS is still in control of the NIC preventing the driver from taking over control.

Mieze

It means that the ME or the BIOS is still in control of the NIC preventing the driver from taking over control.

Mieze

Hi Mieze, thanks for the reply. Excuse my noobishness, but what is an ME? I have checked bios settings and they seem to be ok. I am on a EVGA p55 sli mobo, with a bios from 2011... its not very fancy with many options.

Also I am using Clover bootloader and your kext.

Hi Mieze, thanks for the reply. Excuse my noobishness, but what is an ME? I have checked bios settings and they seem to be ok. I am on a EVGA p55 sli mobo, with a bios from 2011... its not very fancy with many options.

ME is the Intel Management Engine.

Mieze

Thanks Mieze, I will try to figure out how to fix this on my own. If I can't figure it out I will be back :D

Ok I am back, I can't figure it out. I've been playing with clover for the past few hours and its still driving me nuts. I don't even know what my ME is or where to find the info on it for my system.

I attached to this post my Darwin Dumper zip. Idk if you have time to look at it or if it will even help you out to figure out this issue.

Thx!

DarwinDumper_2.9.9b7_Clover_X64_3330_Yos_Zilos.zip

Example support for Intel 100 Series chipset devices including I219-V (v2) is shown here:

https://github.com/jsmcconn/IntelMausiEthernet

Tested and working with this device on a Gigabyte Z170X-UD5:

00:1f.6 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V [8086:15b8] (rev 31)

Could someone upload the kext? So others do not have to download xcode.

Windows 10 might be relevant for somebody too...

Once again, there are only two good uses for jumbo frames:

1. Experts use them in a very small number of niche applications which don't apply to OS X at all.
  2. Noobs use them because they want to be cool, create a system to impress other noobs, etc.

Mieze

There is another option :D Jumbo frame is usefull only if you have all stuff that support jumbo frame, switches, NIC and so on, and if you use a physcal nic with ISCSI, even if you use 1 Gb nic, you can get a small increase in copy velocity, not so much ma there is 

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to let you know that I'm already working on version 2.1.0 of the driver and have started testing it on my I218V. Here is a short list of the changes I made:

• Updated the Linux sources and added support for I219. This will probably require a lot of testing as there are some hardware quirks which need a workaround in order to achieve a stable woking driver.
  • Dropped support for 10.9 and below because it is impossible to build a reliably working kext for older OS X versions with recent versions of Xcode and I have reason to believe that some strange issues which have been reported by users may be related to SDK 10.9 I used in order to build the kext. Users still running Mountain Lion, Mavericks or Yosemite are encouraged to stay with version 2.0.0 as this version is known to work stable with these versions of OS X and there is no need to upgrade.
  • I'm not quite sure but I'm tempted to drop even support for Yosemite in the new release as maintaining compatibility with older versions usually requires additional work and testing.  Apple is forcing us to upgrade and I've spent too much time with my hackintosh projects last year. That's why I think that it would be best to focus on the latest version of OS X in particular because older version work best with older versions of the driver.

Mieze

• Like 10

For those who are interested, I just tried to to create a LACP bond with IntelMausiEthernet and RealtekRTL8111 using the latest versions of both drivers under 10.11.2 and can confirm that it is working fine, although configuration was a little bit tricky. I had to delete both ethernet interfaces in the network preferences pane first before I could create a new bond with both interfaces.

Wolf:~ laura$ ifconfig -v
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384 index 1
	eflags=10000000<SENDLIST>
	options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
	inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 
	inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1 
	nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>
	link quality: 100 (good)
	state availability: 0 (true)
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280 index 2
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280 index 3
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 index 4
	eflags=480<TXSTART,BOND>
	options=6b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_HWTAGGING,TSO4,TSO6>
	ether 00:13:3b:0f:1f:eb 
	media: autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex,energy-efficient-ethernet>)
	type: Ethernet
	scheduler: QFQ 
	link rate: 1.00 Gbps
en2: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 index 5
	eflags=480<TXSTART,BOND>
	media: autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
	type: Ethernet
	scheduler: QFQ 
	link rate: 1.00 Gbps
bond0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 index 6
	eflags=840<ACCEPT_RTADV,ARPLL>
	inet6 fe80::213:3bff:fe0f:1feb%bond0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6 
	inet6 fdd5:1c91:240f::213:3bff:fe0f:1feb prefixlen 64 autoconf 
	inet6 fdd5:1c91:240f::cc0:2311:d33d:93b5 prefixlen 64 autoconf temporary 
	inet 192.168.10.105 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.10.255
	media: autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
	bond interfaces: en2 en0
Wolf:~ laura$ 

Mieze

• Like 6

Attached you will find the first development release (V2.1.0d0) of the driver which also supports I219V/LM. I updated the linux sources and dropped support for Mavericks and below because there is no real need for I219 support under older versions of OS X. It's working flawlessly on my I218V under 10.11.2 for a week now so that I'm quite confident that it will work for most users too.

The source code can be found on GitHub, I pushed it to the repository a few minutes ago.

The kext was built using the latest version of Xcode using SDK 10.11 with 10.10 as deployment target. In theory it should also work under Yosemite, but I haven't tested it under 10.10.

As the I219 has a hardware glitch which might cause a deadlock on chip reset, users with these NICs should thoroughly test sleep/wake and link change because I'm not 100% sure if I adapted the workaround from the Linux code correctly to OS X.

Good luck testing!  :cat:

Mieze

IntelMausiEthernet-V2.1.0d0.zip

• Like 5