IntelMausiEthernet.kext for Intel onboard LAN

Mieze
1,013 posts in this topic

Mieze,

I've been using your kext and I have to say that I can actually see improvements in speed over the previous ethernet kext that was available.

However, I can't seem to get Jumbo frames to stick. Usually with a device that supports jumbo frames I can change the MTU manually to 9000, but it reverts to 1500 (as it should, because that is the range that is allowed).

Is there a way of enabling jumbo frames on your driver?

Currently there is no jumbo frame support and I have no plans to implement it because jumbo frames are trouble makers.

Mieze

I like my frames jumbo, so I added a sonnet presto PCI gbit card, it works natively and supports jumbo frames and AVB/EAV, problem solved.

That's off topic as this thread is about IntelMausiEthernet! 

I only made the purchase after noticing IntelMausiEthernet did not support jumbo frames. So maybe it's relevant information for some.

Windows 10 might be relevant for somebody too...

Once again, there are only two good uses for jumbo frames:

1. Experts use them in a very small number of niche applications which don't apply to OS X at all.
  2. Noobs use them because they want to be cool, create a system to impress other noobs, etc.

Mieze

• Like 1

1. Experts use them in a very small number of niche applications which don't apply to OS X at all.
  2. Noobs use them because they want to be cool, create a system to impress other noobs, etc.

Mieze

And also useful in 10GbE networks- and yes thats also off topic here.

g\

Mieze

Relax, dude. Your take on jumbo frames is a little shallow. It was just a request/inquisition.

I have personally seen a throughput increase across the 4 wired computers that send/receive files through my router, which is jumbo frames enabled. Infact, if I were to switch to windows 10 and conduct a test right now, the difference would be more than 10% increase in speed using the same NIC interface.

Just saying. It may not apply to you, but it definitely applies to anyone who would like it, and it is indeed relevant to this thread whether you created it or not. Anyone who would like to know if it's supported will now know because it's been discussed.

But I respect your decision to not include it. After all, I am not forcing or paying you for your work. For now this will suffice and it works well. 

Thank you for your work.

Relax, dude. Your take on jumbo frames is a little shallow. It was just a request/inquisition.

I have personally seen a throughput increase across the 4 wired computers that send/receive files through my router, which is jumbo frames enabled. Infact, if I were to switch to windows 10 and conduct a test right now, the difference would be more than 10% increase in speed using the same NIC interface.

Just saying. It may not apply to you, but it definitely applies to anyone who would like it, and it is indeed relevant to this thread whether you created it or not. Anyone who would like to know if it's supported will now know because it's been discussed.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but this is complete nonsense! In best case scenarios you get an increase in throughput of less than 5% but in most real world scenarios there is no speedup at all, not to mention those cases where jumbo frames even result in a performance drop.

Mieze

With a 1GbE network, good drivers and network setup you are already achieving line speed with 1500mtu. There is no more speed to be had.

Also this has been discussed before so the only thing you are adding to the conversation on this thread is that you haven't bothered to read the entire thread.

Cheers,

g\

• Like 1

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but this is complete nonsense! In best case scenarios you get an increase in throughput of less than 5% but in most real world scenarios there is no speedup at all, not to mention those cases where jumbo frames even result in a performance drop.

Mieze

The increase can be drastic depending on what type of media and how large the file sizes are. I've tested this on my own network, so as far as my results go- it was 10% or thereabouts. Not nonsense. 

The increase can be drastic depending on what type of media and how large the file sizes are. I've tested this on my own network, so as far as my results go- it was 10% or thereabouts. Not nonsense. 

Nonsense, because it's far beyond the maximum gain in throughput resulting from the higher efficiency.

Mieze

Hello, I am desperately trying to get my onboard Intel Gb ethernet card to work on my hackintosh.

An overview of my system can be found attached (#3).

When I upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan via Clover the network interface did not initially work.  I followed instructions online to remove the listings in Network for each component, delete the preferences files, reboot and manually install interfaces in Network.  This initially worked.  But then I had to change my machine definition and it quit working.  I haven't been able to get it working again.  Here is what I have tried:

• switched my machine profile back to iMac 14,2
  • multiple drivers (finally have settled on Mausi)
  • removing my TP Link WIFI card
  • checking BIOS to ensure the settings were as indicated in the troubleshooting section of this thread
  • installed the debug version of the mausi driver

Other potentially relevant information:

• System Report --> Ethernet: indicates that no PCI ethernet card cannot be found
  • DPCI Manager indicates that the onboard card is present (see attached image)
  • Terminal indicates that the Mausi driver is loading (see attached image)

I would be eternally grateful for any help you could provide.

Thanks,

Marc

1.tiff

2.tiff

3.tiff

Hello, I am desperately trying to get my onboard Intel Gb ethernet card to work on my hackintosh.

An overview of my system can be found attached (#3).

When I upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan via Clover the network interface did not initially work.  I followed instructions online to remove the listings in Network for each component, delete the preferences files, reboot and manually install interfaces in Network.  This initially worked.  But then I had to change my machine definition and it quit working.  I haven't been able to get it working again.  Here is what I have tried:

• switched my machine profile back to iMac 14,2
  • multiple drivers (finally have settled on Mausi)
  • removing my TP Link WIFI card
  • checking BIOS to ensure the settings were as indicated in the troubleshooting section of this thread
  • installed the debug version of the mausi driver

Other potentially relevant information:

• System Report --> Ethernet: indicates that no PCI ethernet card cannot be found
  • DPCI Manager indicates that the onboard card is present (see attached image)
  • Terminal indicates that the Mausi driver is loading (see attached image)

I would be eternally grateful for any help you could provide.

Thanks,

Marc

Please post your kernel logs!

Mieze

Dec  7 11:07:56 iMac kernel[0]: Ethernet [IntelMausi]: Failed to get adapter data with error -2.

This is usually a result of a wrong BIOS setting. Check you LAN related settings in the BIOS setup!

Mieze

GA-Z97X-UD7 TH LGA 1150 Z97 Dual Thunderbolt 2 ATX Motherboard

Please see your board's manual and disable:

• NetWork Stack Driver Support
  • LAN PXE Boot Option ROM
  • Wake on LAN
  • Network stack
  1. Ipv4 PXE Support

2. Ipv6 PXE Support