Workstation 11/12, Player 7/12, Fusion 7/8 and ESXi 6 Mac OS X Unlocker 2

Donk

691 posts in this topic

Obviously this is sad news, especially for those of us who were hoping for an update for ESXi 6.5 compatibility, guess I'll have to downgrade to ESXi 6!

Nevertheless I completely understand your decision. Thank you for all the work you've put into this project over the years, hopefully someone comes along and takes over :)

I have a probable solution to ESXi 6.5 so my parting shot will be to try and finish it up and release before the end of the month.  I have enjoyed working on the unlocker plus all is predecessors, and I am pleased it has been of use to many in the community.

Thanks

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

I really hope you get ESXi 6.5 fixed... :/ But I'm okay with you retiring I've been a happy user of your unlocker for years... ;) I just hope somebody takes over the project so we can keep enjoying OS-X with VMWare because eventually there will be VMWare Workstation 13 & ESXi 7 and so on.. :) Thanks for all your work thru out the years... :)

I am trying to run unlocker 2.0.8. When I run win-install file in command prompt using Administrator account, I get the following error.

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\VMware\\VMware Workstation\\vmwarebase.dll

My OS is Win 10 64 bit.

VMWare workstation version is 12.0

I am trying to run unlocker 2.0.8. When I run win-install file in command prompt using Administrator account, I get the following error.

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\VMware\\VMware Workstation\\vmwarebase.dll

My OS is Win 10 64 bit.

VMWare workstation version is 12.0

Running from administrator account is not the same as running with admin privileges.

Hi all;

I've upgraded my Fedora 26 laptop to kernel 4.12 and I cannot get the unlocker to work with vmware workstation 12.5.7

I used the usual fixes, specifically these 2:

1)

# cp -r /usr/lib/vmware-installer/2.1.0/lib/lib/libexpat.so.0 /usr/lib/vmware/lib# cd /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libz.so.1# mv -i libz.so.1 libz.so.1.old# ln -s /usr/lib64/libz.so.1 .

2)

manually compiling vmmon and vmnet modules (i used this script):

https://github.com/CountPickering/vmww-fix

This gets vmware to run but I cannot install unlocker208, I get this:

Command '['vmplayer', '-v']' returned non-zero exit status 25

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

I moved to Virtual Box and successfully using MAC OS Sierra on it. Because I was also not been able to install unlocker208.

Running from administrator account is not the same as running with admin privileges.

JJTagy, I am in the Administrator group on my PC. So it means that I have admin privileges. Or do you want to say something else ?

SUCCESS!

I upgraded Fedora 26, got a new kernel (4.12.8-300.fc26.x86_64)

Then I uninstalled vmware and renamed /usr/lib/vmware to /usr/lib/vmware_old

Then took the below steps and vmware worked

1)

# cp -r /usr/lib/vmware-installer/2.1.0/lib/lib/libexpat.so.0 /usr/lib/vmware/lib

# cd /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libz.so.1# mv -i libz.so.1 libz.so.1.old# ln -s /usr/lib64/libz.so.1 .

2)

manually compiling vmmon and vmnet modules (i used this script):

https://github.com/C...kering/vmww-fix

Now I can run

# vmware&

Lastly I stopped vmware, ran the lnx-install script for unlocker208 which also worked

Now my mac VM's work!

• Like 1

I moved to Virtual Box and successfully using MAC OS Sierra on it. Because I was also not been able to install unlocker208.

JJTagy, I am in the Administrator group on my PC. So it means that I have admin privileges. Or do you want to say something else ?

Windows uses UAC which means that even as a user in the Admin group, you aren't running programs with administrative rights. If you right click the program and select "Run as Administrator", then it is running with administrative rights.

• 4 weeks later...

I have pointed this out on the first post:

WARNING - Do NOT use the code on GitHub please wait until a release is announced. The current 2.0.9 code is there but there are serious issues still to be resolved which could render your ESXi host unusable!

Hi Donk,

Sorry to hear that you are moving on, but I completely understand the churn of keeping this project up to date...

Unfortunately I installed the github version before checking this page.

The good news, is that everything seems to be fine (VMs are running).

Hope you will find time to release the final Unlocker 2.0.9 for ESXi 6.5

FYI I'm using (uname -a):

VMkernel esx 6.5.0 #1 SMP Release build-5969303 Jul  6 2017 21:22:25 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 ESXi

The good news, is that everything seems to be fine (VMs are running).

Hope you will find time to release the final Unlocker 2.0.9 for ESXi 6.5

FYI I'm using (uname -a):

VMkernel esx 6.5.0 #1 SMP Release build-5969303 Jul  6 2017 21:22:25 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 ESXi

I have the same version of ESXi running. Glad to hear that your VMs are working fine (past posts on this thread indicates  thateven non-MacOS VMs wouldn't start after installing unlocker but I believe that was with unlocker 2.0.8, not 2.0.9). What I really would like to know is whether you have a Mac OS VM running on ESXi, and if you don't, would you be willing to install one? Thanks for any info.

The code in the git repo does now work. However I am not happy with how it is done, by disabling a new sandbox present in ESXi 6.5, so left the warning on the main topic. I will likely finish 2.0.9 once new Workstation and Fusion are released. 

• Like 2

Thank you very much for your great work!

The code in the git repo does now work. However I am not happy with how it is done, by disabling a new sandbox present in ESXi 6.5, so left the warning on the main topic. I will likely finish 2.0.9 once new Workstation and Fusion are released. 

Me too, and hope new unlocker will come soon.

You saw this, right?

• Like 1

I will try my best to fix this before heading off to other things. However I cannot find the table that stores the guest info at the moment, as it has changed from 12. Existing VMs are OK as the code to run macOS is still there and patched correctly, the only change is the routine to populate the new VM dialog guest OS type.

Also I am about to go on holiday and won't have time to look at this in detail for 2 weeks.

• Like 1