Workstation 11/12, Player 7/12, Fusion 7/8 and ESXi 6 Mac OS X Unlocker 2

Donk

691 posts in this topic

Hi all, new to this community so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I am running into an issue installing unlocker on ESXI. The install appears to fail because there is no libvmkctl.so.

I am using the free licence for ESXI 6.0u2. esxi-install.sh completes successfully, but when restarting the machine it gets stuck on "running local.sh".

I tested this further by running ./local.sh from the unlocker folder. This fails at the line which tries to copy libvmkctl.so. I understand libvmkctl.so has something to do with vCenter which I don't have access to, and now can't obtain a trial for 6.0u2, as only 6.5 is available on the vmware website. 

Would it be possible to add an additional case to the install script to skip over libvmkctl.so if it is not present, if this is only relevant for hosts which are part of a vCenter install?

I'm new to this so apologies if any of the above is unclear or if I'm overlooking something basic. 

Edit: modification to skip libvmkctl.so would need to be in local-template.sh, not the install script itself.

Edited by maris

Yes! I updated ESXI 6.0 to 6.5 and had the "Transport (VMDB) error -45: Failed to connect to peer process" issue. Subsequently, I have rolled back to ESXI 6.0.

My intention was to do a fresh install of ESXI 6.5; but Rubyducky's experience suggests that that would be futile.

Same error with my new ESXi 6.5 :(

Waiting for update! :)

Folks let's stop posting about it does not work for me on ESXi 6.5. I know it does not work and am looking into the changes needed. There are some differences between the beta and GA versions of 6.5 that I need to understand. For now do NOT install on 6.5 and if upgrading 6.0 suggest you remove the unlocker. 

Which version of ESXi 6.5 are you guys using? Did you use the free Hypervisor version of 6.0 before upgrading? I am considering upgrading as well.

Hi there, there is only one version as the vSphere and free one are identical. Features are based in the serial number used.

Folks let's stop posting about it does not work for me on ESXi 6.5. I know it does not work and am looking into the changes needed. There are some differences between the beta and GA versions of 6.5 that I need to understand. For now do NOT install on 6.5 and if upgrading 6.0 suggest you remove the unlocker. 

Quick update. There is some weird stuff going on and currently cannot get the code to run correctly. Just wanted to set expectation as I will need more time to work out what is going on..

Quick update. There is some weird stuff going on and currently cannot get the code to run correctly. Just wanted to set expectation as I will need more time to work out what is going on..

Just a thought, I haven't looked at it myself but there is code for secure boot now.  It may be verifying a signature on the files being modified, then refusing to load them when the signature doesn't match? 

Just a thought, I haven't looked at it myself but there is code for secure boot now.  It may be verifying a signature on the files being modified, then refusing to load them when the signature doesn't match? 

Secure boot will not be compatible with the unlocker. I checked and there is specific code which would stop it running. The main issue is that 6.5 uses Python 3 and not 2.7 which breaks the code. During beta both Python 2 and 3 were present. All the binary patch handling code will need to be re-written to use new binary type in Python 3. Finally strange issue where using cat to print something via redirection create a binary file full of nulls?!

So quite a bit to change and test.

Secure boot will not be compatible with the unlocker. I checked and there is specific code which would stop it running. The main issue is that 6.5 uses Python 3 and not 2.7 which breaks the code. During beta both Python 2 and 3 were present. All the binary patch handling code will need to be re-written to use new binary type in Python 3. Finally strange issue where using cat to print something via redirection create a binary file full of nulls?!

So quite a bit to change and test.

The pyhon converter 2to3 highlights the change in syntax.

esxi.patch.txt

I have an OS X VM that I had created in VMware Fusion on my Mac. I would love to move it across to my Windows VMware Workstation. Can this Unlocker help me? I ran it as Admin and it did some stuff in the terminal, but my VM (moved from my Mac to the Windows machine) crashes on launch. 

http://i.imgur.com/Mr3rpCo.png

I do not know what to do about this?

Thanks

I have an OS X VM that I had created in VMware Fusion on my Mac. I would love to move it across to my Windows VMware Workstation. Can this Unlocker help me? I ran it as Admin and it did some stuff in the terminal, but my VM (moved from my Mac to the Windows machine) crashes on launch. 

http://i.imgur.com/Mr3rpCo.png

I do not know what to do about this?

Thanks

From the readme file:

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| IMPORTANT:                                                                  |
| ==========                                                                  |
|                                                                             |
| If you create a new VM using version 11 or 12 hardware VMware may stop and  |
| create a core dump. There are two options to work around this issue:        |
| 1. Change the VM to be HW 10 - this does not affect performance.            |
| 2. Edit the VMX file and add:                                               |
|    smc.version = "0"                                                        |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

hi all,

Im running WS 12.0 on windows 10 pro, with unlocker 2.08

I've got an ISO of Capitain, following the new machine creation, and for some reason, i'm not able to choose OSX as an OS type.

I've tried a few different things, the script looks like its run OK (with elevated Priv) im kinda stuck.  any suggestions?

It seems there are some issues with Windows 10 and Workstation 10 as it does not add the MAC OSX option and the install.cmd fails with the following:

http://hastebin.com/meviyezira.tex

Any near future fixes coming?

Not designed for Workstation 10 only 11 onwards. You need unlocker v1 for Workstation 10.

Hi,

i`ve been trying to run Sierra on esx 5.0 for a few Days now. I followed the esxi installation step by step, but having no luck so far.

Booting the VM always stops at 70 % so i thied unlocker 2.08 on Workstaion Player 12 now and noticed that there is OS 10.12 an Option for creating the VMs, where OSX on ESXi stops at version 10.

Changing Version on Workstation to 10.10 also ends in VM not booting.

Am i missing something ? Is Unlocker 2.08 not supported for Sierra on ESX or could it be that i messed up on the installation at some point ?

Just to point out the obvious. Do not rely on this if you have something that is time critical or important to your work studies or business. This was just posted at VMware.

Hey guys am working on windows 7 64bit machine that has VMWare Station 12 Player and I have OSX ElCaption 10.11 installed on it while working on xcode the pc freezes so I did I hard shutdown by pressing on the power button once I turn it on again I tried to start OSX it started the window where loading bar Appear below apple icon and then exit the VMware without any error message.

am gonna submit my project on saturday is there any way I can fix or at least get my project back from vmdk or any other trick.

I have the log file.

Your help is highly appreciated it can save my semester thank you!

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/548821

Hi,

i`ve been trying to run Sierra on esx 5.0 for a few Days now. I followed the esxi installation step by step, but having no luck so far.

Booting the VM always stops at 70 % so i thied unlocker 2.08 on Workstaion Player 12 now and noticed that there is OS 10.12 an Option for creating the VMs, where OSX on ESXi stops at version 10.

Changing Version on Workstation to 10.10 also ends in VM not booting.

Am i missing something ? Is Unlocker 2.08 not supported for Sierra on ESX or could it be that i messed up on the installation at some point ?

Unlocker 2.0.8 is for ESXi6 and does not work on ESXi 5/5.5. Also it is very likely that you need the specific 10.12 setting in VMware to be available to make Sierra run. The guest OS settings enable/disable specific OS optimisations in the core VMware code.