Workstation 11/12, Player 7/12, Fusion 7/8 and ESXi 6 Mac OS X Unlocker 2

Donk

691 posts in this topic

fcl,

You can download the tools at the following location, link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/31-vmware-tools-for-os-x-darwiniso/

Also the How To guide has full details regarding manually installing the VMware tools, see link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-10x-snow-leopard-to-el-capitan-in-vmware-workstation-1011-workstation-proplayer-12-player-67-esxi-56/

Yes thank you, I did fix my issue. I was googling the wrong keyword and finally got the darwiniso

... and sorry for late reply, I kept forgetting my forum password

• 2 weeks later...

rafaeldamasceno,

Looks like latest VM Update (12.5.5 build-5234757) breaks the patch. Cannot load vmtools on Windows or OS X clients. Plan to roll back to an earlier version. Was working a week ago.

Did you re-apply the unlocker after upgrading? 

Yes, re-applied after upgrading. Uninstalled and rolled back to 12.1.0. and reapplied 2.0.8. Then was able to run VM Tools on Windows machine. Still had an issue with Darwin tools but have since learned that the current updated Darwin.iso is too new for 10.9 and 10.10. Used Darwin 7.1.0 as a trial and it worked.

Using VMware 12.5.5 would give a server error when trying to install VMware tools on a Windows machine.

I can update and try again if it would be of help.

The unlocker would not affect the tools in any way if already installed. I believe there has been an issue with newer Widows versions and VMware tools discussed on the VMware forums.

I am using the latest version of Workstation on Windows and Linux with the unlocker and it does work OK.

Hi.

As mentioned in the 1st post 2.0.9 is not out finally yet. On github i find 2.0.9 RC2. When do you expect a final release, or is it safe to use 2.0.9 RC2 now?

for now i'm using 2.0.8 on ESXi 6.0 on HP MicroServer Gen8. Everthing is working fine, but i would like to upgrade to ESXi 6.5.

Hi all, having a bit of trouble. On Windows 10 -- installed VMware Workstation Player to the default location, ran the win-install file as administrator, but getting some errors and not seeing macOS in the OS list. Gist is below. Thanks in advance!

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/df7ab5e1e89b077b64cda9c4391934b1

Edit: Also when starting the machine, it acts like no OS is installed - it said IDE device could not be started, loads to Intel PXE boot, then fails.

Hi all, having a bit of trouble. On Windows 10 -- installed VMware Workstation Player to the default location, ran the win-install file as administrator, but getting some errors and not seeing macOS in the OS list. Gist is below. Thanks in advance!

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/df7ab5e1e89b077b64cda9c4391934b1

Edit: Also when starting the machine, it acts like no OS is installed - it said IDE device could not be started, loads to Intel PXE boot, then fails.

This is an issue in the pyinstaller system used to package up the Python code. I am not sure what is causing this issue so can I suggest some different tests?

1. Disable any AV you have running as that can stop some of the VMware processes from being stopped. For example McAfee HIPS interferes with the unlocker. After patching it can be restarted.

2. Apparently pyinstaller may not like unusual characters in paths so the next step would be to try it from a path without "(" or ")" characters:

C:\Users\xxxx\Downloads\VMWare Player Patch Τool macOS Sierra\unlocker208

3. Also pyinstaller has had problems with the code page in the terminal. Can you run the CHCP command in a command prompt and let me know the value please?

Thanks

This is an issue in the pyinstaller system used to package up the Python code. I am not sure what is causing this issue so can I suggest some different tests?

1. Disable any AV you have running as that can stop some of the VMware processes from being stopped. For example McAfee HIPS interferes with the unlocker. After patching it can be restarted.

2. Apparently pyinstaller may not like unusual characters in paths so the next step would be to try it from a path without "(" or ")" characters:

C:\Users\xxxx\Downloads\VMWare Player Patch Τool macOS Sierra\unlocker208

3. Also pyinstaller has had problems with the code page in the terminal. Can you run the CHCP command in a command prompt and let me know the value please?

Thanks

1. No antivirus on my system aside from Windows Defender, so that should be clear.
  2. I took the parentheses out of the folder name but it didn't seem to help. Current path is C:\Users\baile\Downloads\VMWare Player Patch Τool macOS Sierra\unlocker208
  3. System active code page: 437

Here's the latest snippet

Thanks for the help in advance!

Edit: Got it! pyinstaller must not like long file names. I changed the folder name from "VMWare Player Patch Τool macOS Sierra" to "patch" and it worked flawlessly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 18, in <module>
  File "D:\PyInstaller-3.0\PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 634, in install
  File "D:\PyInstaller-3.0\PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 222, in __init__
ImportError: Can't load frozen modules.

In both calls to the python scripts in win-install I get this, which results in the scrips exiting with -1 and the install failing. I've tried installing Python 3.0 and 2.7, removing and reinstalling VMWare, and running the .py files instead of the .exe files. Nothing has worked so far. Any ideas?

File "<string>", line 18, in <module>
  File "D:\PyInstaller-3.0\PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 634, in install
  File "D:\PyInstaller-3.0\PyInstaller\loader\pyimod03_importers.py", line 222, in __init__
ImportError: Can't load frozen modules.

In both calls to the python scripts in win-install I get this, which results in the scrips exiting with -1 and the install failing. I've tried installing Python 3.0 and 2.7, removing and reinstalling VMWare, and running the .py files instead of the .exe files. Nothing has worked so far. Any ideas?

There are issues when there are characters in the path such as Chinese, Japanese etc. What is the folder name you are using? This is a known issue with Python and PyInstaller.

There are issues when there are characters in the path such as Chinese, Japanese etc. What is the folder name you are using? This is a known issue with Python and PyInstaller.

I changed the folder name to test to see if that fixed anything and it worked perfectly. There weren't any foreign characters in the path, but they weren't all alphanumeric.  Thank you.

Edit: Now I see that the issue directly before me was the same thing.  I skimmed the first few pages of the thread and searched "Can't load frozen modules" and then didn't see those posts. Sorry to make you solve the same issue twice in a row.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this DOES NOT work on ESXi 6.5, I ran the installer, and got "Failed - Transport (VMDB) error -45: Failed to connect to peer process. Errors Transport (VMDB) error -45: Failed to connect to peer process." after reboot when trying to start ANY, Windows, Linux, VM.

So I ran the uninstaller .bat script, thank god it worked and now everything is back to normal.

ESXi 6.5 users beware, this won't work yet, and until the post is updated to mention .5 support, I wouldn't recommend trying it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this DOES NOT work on ESXi 6.5, I ran the installer, and got "Failed - Transport (VMDB) error -45: Failed to connect to peer process. Errors Transport (VMDB) error -45: Failed to connect to peer process." after reboot when trying to start ANY, Windows, Linux, VM.

So I ran the uninstaller .bat script, thank god it worked and now everything is back to normal.

ESXi 6.5 users beware, this won't work yet, and until the post is updated to mention .5 support, I wouldn't recommend trying it.

I have pointed this out on the first post:

WARNING - Do NOT use the code on GitHub please wait until a release is announced. The current 2.0.9 code is there but there are serious issues still to be resolved which could render your ESXi host unusable!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Donk,

First off, thank you for your hard work!  I stumbled across this and I am excited to test out OSX in a VM environment.  I currently have eSXI 6.5, which I see Unlocker only works for 6.0.  Do you anticipate a release that supports 6.5 or should I downgrade from 6.5 to 6.0?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Donk,

First off, thank you for your hard work!  I stumbled across this and I am excited to test out OSX in a VM environment.  I currently have eSXI 6.5, which I see Unlocker only works for 6.0.  Do you anticipate a release that supports 6.5 or should I downgrade from 6.5 to 6.0?

Hi Curlyp. Have you actually tried the latest unlocker 2.0.8 version with 6.5?

I just used unlocker 2.0.8 with the latest Workstation 12.5.7 version, and it worked perfectly fine.

In general VMware ESXi 6 and 6.5, as well as Workstation 12 and 12.5 seem to be in the same group.

Hi Curlyp. Have you actually tried the latest unlocker 2.0.8 version with 6.5?

I just used unlocker 2.0.8 with the latest Workstation 12.5.7 version, and it worked perfectly fine.

In general VMware ESXi 6 and 6.5, as well as Workstation 12 and 12.5 seem to be in the same group.

Gents,

Unlocker 2.0.8 works fine for ESXi 6.0 with all subsequent updates, but does not work properly with ESXi 6.5, hence the work Donk is doing on 2.0.9. But as he states still some issues so only use at your own risk and in a test environment where you can afford to lose everything.

Error received when working with Python 3.6.2rc1 (64-bit) and VMware Player 12.5.7:

GOS Patching: D:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmwarebase.dll
  File "<string>", line 413, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 404, in main
  File "<string>", line 283, in patchbase
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'D:\\Program Files (x86)\\VMware\\VMware
 Player\\vmwarebase.dll'
unlocker returned -1

Running unlocker.exe from command prompt with administrator rights.  I see that there seem to be extraneous backslashes, is there some way to remove them?

S

Error received when working with Python 3.6.2rc1 (64-bit) and VMware Player 12.5.7:

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'D:\\Program Files (x86)\\VMware\\VMware

Player\\vmwarebase.dll'

unlocker returned -1

Running unlocker.exe from command prompt with administrator rights.  I see that there seem to be extraneous backslashes, is there some way to remove them?

S

Version of Python should not matter as it is packaged with pyinstaller which embeds the correct Python in the executable. The double backslashes are correct as they are used to ensue the path is correctly escaped.

Do you have an anti-virus working as I have had problems with McAfee especially Host Intrusion Protection?

Player\\vmwarebase.dll'

unlocker returned -1

S

Ensure you have Python 2.7.x available in PATH as the code is in python 2 not 3 (there are some stylistic changes that aren't backwards compatible). Next ensure you are running the installer from a folder without spaces in its name (i.e. the path to the installer needs to be C:\Patch\ rather than C:\Some Place With Spaces\).

The "extraneous backslashes" are to tell python the previous backslash is not one which is for an 'escape character' such as \n (newline) and \r (carriage return).

Hope this helps.

Is there someone interested in taking over the work on the unlocker? I have decided, after 10 years of working on different methods to run macOS on VMware products, that it is time for a change. The code will be on Github for awhile but as I intend to use my account for other work I will be removing it at some point.

It has been fun but time for other things in life.

Is there someone interested in taking over the work on the unlocker? I have decided, after 10 years of working on different methods to run macOS on VMware products, that it is time for a change. The code will be on Github for awhile but as I intend to use my account for other work I will be removing it at some point.

Donk,

Sorry to hear you are stopping work on your unlocker, but understand fully about other things in life. I think I can speak for everyone on this forum and say thank you for your tireless effort and support. Enjoy your InsanelyMac retirement.

On a personal note, please keep in touch via email.

Regards,

MSoK.

• Like 1

Donk,

Sorry to hear you are stopping work on your unlocker, but understand fully about other things in life. I think I can speak for everyone on this forum and say thank you for your tireless effort and support. Enjoy your InsanelyMac retirement.

On a personal note, please keep in touch via email.

Regards,

MSoK.

Well thanks for all your support over the years, and the others here who have helped out with answering questions or providing code. I enjoyed the fun of looking into how to make this all work and hope has been useful to the community.

I will still probably lurk around the forums to see what is going on.

I will stay in touch and you know my email address.

• Like 1

Obviously this is sad news, especially for those of us who were hoping for an update for ESXi 6.5 compatibility, guess I'll have to downgrade to ESXi 6!

Nevertheless I completely understand your decision. Thank you for all the work you've put into this project over the years, hopefully someone comes along and takes over :)

• Like 1