Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

Thanks for that. I start installing by your guide but i wonder that without intelhd5000 patching my graphics card has been recognized and brightness work without acpibacklight kextAnd i dont have clover on fly patch settings for applehda but its changed some lines on applehda

Intel Mobile HD4600 will never work out of the box because the driver doesn't naively support it (Apple removed support for it from AppleIntelHD5000Graphics). A while ago some expert found a way to fake OS X to read the card as a different one that is supported which resulted in the patch we use now. If you followed the thread I linked in post installation graphic fix section within the guide, you would find more information about this. To say you have it fully working out of the box is something I would not believe, maybe you have the graphics patch in your DSDT? That's an alternative method I did not cover in my guide. Also, regarding brightness, there is a must to use DSDT patch to show the brightness slider in Display Preferences but as far as I know the kext is required as well to control the brightness using that slider so take a look you might find a copy of that kext here or there!

Ok I enabled patches from guide but there is a way to check that clover on fly do job or not

Well, a patched kext is a patched kext after all. Clover may not inform you it successfully patched a kext but you can infer from the behavior. For example, if you have a patch that modify a WiFi kext to work with your card which normally wouldn't, if the card worked after the patch then the patch worked.

I try to solve audio problem. To do that I reinstall yosemite and have config.plist without any kext patches on it but when i boot it i get screen like this where sound assertion.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1420459466.727850.jpg

What problem with audio? we are not supposed to track every assertion in Clover's verbose but we only care when the device behavior is faulty and this is when we start to test and try to fix it. Our audio works very good with VoodooHDA as explained in guide and artas182x wrote in post #16 that AppleHDA can be fixed to work too. If you have the same laptop you should not have a different problem we do not have unless you have a faulty machine which is unlikely. 

PS: the picture you attached shows boot halt because of graphic issue and not related to sound. Fix that (hint: ig-platform-id and/or FakeID) then look for sound issues if any after that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, for non UEFI booting, what options should be checked in Clover installing?

I didn't try this but it should work. Set these options while installing Clover (either on USB or after installing):

• Untick "Install for UEFI booting only"
  • Tick "Install Clover in the ESP"
  • Tick (only) Bootloader > "Install boot0af in MBR"

Keep the other settings as stated in the guide. 

Thanks for the reply. I managed to install it, but I got the same point and fail to make video card work. Do not succeed to write patches in plist editor correctly. When you want to save config.plist it tells me I have the wrong letter Â. Can anyone post config.plist in zip.

Thanks for the reply. I managed to install it, but I got the same point and fail to make video card work. Do not succeed to write patches in plist editor correctly. When you want to save config.plist it tells me I have the wrong letter Â. Can anyone post config.plist in zip.

I do recommend trying to fix yours instead of using others. You have to learn to do the right thing because at some point you might install OS X again and the pre-made files may not work (think of a newer version of OS X or if you installing on different PC for example). This is the reason why I didn't attach my ACPI files and EFI content so people could try, make faults, and learn like I did. The advantage of this thread is that while it give you structured step by step guide, it also offer some support/help by me and others in the forum. Believe me, the biggest problem is when you ask about an issue and no one know the answer and thus no help!

Post your config.plist so I take a look on it.

l post config.plist when I get home. Basically, the patch should be written in plist editor after

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>

<dict>
<key>AppleRTC</key>
<true/>
<key>AsusAICPUPM</key>
<true/>
<key>KernelPm</key>
<true/>
<key>KextsToPatch</key>
<array>
            <dict>

<key>Comment</key>
               <string>0x0a260006 9MB cursor bytes patch</string>
               <key>Find</key>
               <data>
               BgAmCgEDAwMAAAACAAAwAQAAYAA=

</data>
               <key>Name</key>
               <string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
               <key>Replace</key>
               <data>
               BgAmCgEDAwMAAAACAAAwAQAAkAA=

</data>

Is it ok?

Hi, I reinstalled windows in UEFI. Unfortunately when I want to boot from the card restarts. Folder drivers64UEFI - EmuVariableUefi-64.efi ; FSInject-64.efi ; HFSPlus.efi ; OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi ; OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi ; PartitionDxe-64.efi.

Config.plist  https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/17e3489627249aef3811ec5bfcabd46120150122122143/bf640ce0c67ae1dc26785f78f0c6aaca20150122122143/06cc2f

Hi, I reinstalled windows in UEFI. Unfortunately when I want to boot from the card restarts. Folder drivers64UEFI - EmuVariableUefi-64.efi ; FSInject-64.efi ; HFSPlus.efi ; OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi ; OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi ; PartitionDxe-64.efi.

Config.plist  https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/17e3489627249aef3811ec5bfcabd46120150122122143/bf640ce0c67ae1dc26785f78f0c6aaca20150122122143/06cc2f

This is not Clover v2999 that I recommended in the guide. Not saying that only v2999 would work but some later versions gave me problems that I haven't had with v2999. Try it!

I dont found Clover v2999. I found Clover r2999 and dont works. Please upload yours Clover.In the link you put is the last version.

You don't find it then you found it? Anyway, the link I put in the Download section was for the Clover project and you can choose from inside which version you want. This is the one I'm using: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/Clover_v2k_r2999.zip/download. If it doesn't work for you, zip your EFI folder and attach it here.

I reinstalled windows 7 on legacy BIOS. I thought they were different versions v2999 / r2999. I managed with Clover 2953, is going well.  Video card show it to 1.5 Gb are some glitches on the screen. There is a tutorial how to add patch in config.plist with playlist editor?

Where should I enter

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>
               <key>Find</key>
               <data>

</data>
               <key>Name</key>
               <key>Replace</key>
               <data>

under the text that says Kext an Patch?

P.S.

It is possible to start the video board showing 2047MB(NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M). Lenovo GeForce GT 750M show 0mb.Untitled.png

After following the guide im getting stuck when trying to boot the installer.

It loads clover and then when i select "Yosemite Installer" it says it found the device ID then the screen goes black and the laptop restarts.

You said to look for an EFI folder and share that with you but i am not seeing that folder in the root directory of the installer. I only saw a EFI-Backup folder that was empty.

Sorry for the late reply ...

I reinstalled windows 7 on legacy BIOS. I thought they were different versions v2999 / r2999. I managed with Clover 2953, is going well.  Video card show it to 1.5 Gb are some glitches on the screen. There is a tutorial how to add patch in config.plist with playlist editor?

Where should I enter

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<key>Find</key>

<data>

</data>

<key>Name</key>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>

under the text that says Kext an Patch?

It is "PlistEdit Pro" and is paid application that you can download as trial. There are other free options (Xcode for example) that can play nicely with .plist files. I don't have a link to a guide on how to add a patch using PlistEdit Pro but it should be easy. Open the config.plist file using the app, on the lower part of the window skip to <key>KextsToPatch</key> section. Add the patch above after any other patches exist there (between <array> and </array> but don't overlap other kexts.

P.S.

It is possible to start the video board showing 2047MB(NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M). Lenovo GeForce GT 750M show 0mb.Untitled.png

I don't know what is this actually, please clarify.

Hi i Pmed you earlier this is my efi.

Hi, I'm sorry, I've been very busy lately. Do you still have issues?

After following the guide im getting stuck when trying to boot the installer.

It loads clover and then when i select "Yosemite Installer" it says it found the device ID then the screen goes black and the laptop restarts.

You said to look for an EFI folder and share that with you but i am not seeing that folder in the root directory of the installer. I only saw a EFI-Backup folder that was empty.

Do you have OS X installed or are you struggling to start the installer?

Do you have OS X installed or are you struggling to start the installer?

I dont have OSX installed yet. i am still trying to boot the installer. And its alright i understand that your trying to help other people too. I didnt find the EFI folder. What would you suggest i do?

I dont have OSX installed yet. i am still trying to boot the installer. And its alright i understand that your trying to help other people too. I didnt find the EFI folder. What would you suggest i do?

Well, if you have been following this guide to create the USB installer then you definitely should have EFI folder on the USB. Since you don't have OS X installed yet, you could plug the USB in Windows and you will find the folder on the only USB visible partition.

Well, if you have been following this guide to create the USB installer then you definitely should have EFI folder on the USB. Since you don't have OS X installed yet, you could plug the USB in Windows and you will find the folder on the only USB visible partition.

Sorry i do have Mavericks installed right now, i dont have yosemite yet though. my bad i failed to mention that. Maybe i should go through the whole process of creating the USB drive for a third time.

Okay so i just reinstalled clover on the USB drive and heres the link to my EFI folder

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0l55vpm1tx1uld/EFI.zip?dl=0

Sorry i do have Mavericks installed right now, i dont have yosemite yet though. my bad i failed to mention that. Maybe i should go through the whole process of creating the USB drive for a third time.

Alright, whatever you have can be useful!

A bit of background:

When you make the USB installer you format the USB as one partition. However, OS X creates another hidden partition called EFI to store boot files (inside EFI folder). Using OS X you may not be able to see this partition (so you don't have access to the EFI partition inside it) because it is hidden and only main partition will be visible. This is not the case with Windows, however, where the USB-EFI partition will be visible by default and the other one will not be mountable because Windows does not support HFS+ file system.

Since you have Mavericks we can use it to access the EFI folder but only if we are able to see it (mount it). To do this run Mavericks, put the USB in, open the terminal, then enter the command:

diskutil list 

You will see a list of all disks and partitions available like this one:

Screen_Shot_2015_02_03_at_02_01_58.png

Take a look on the IDENTIFIER column on the right, disk0 usually refers to your internal HDD or SSD. Other disks will follow like disk1 which is a USB flash I'm inserting. Under disk1 you can see disk1s1 and disk1s2 which are the two partitions there. You can see that disk1s1 is marked on the left as EFI so if I wanted to mount the EFI partition on this USB I would need to mount disk1s1. To do this, type the next command in Terminal:

diskutil mount disk1s1 

This will give you access to the EFI partition and all its contents.

Okay so i just reinstalled clover on the USB drive and heres the link to my EFI folder

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0l55vpm1tx1uld/EFI.zip?dl=0

Hmm ... alright then ... I wasted time explaining things you didn't make use of anyway!

I'll look into it ...

EDIT

I see ... have you paid attention into this section from the guide:

Once you are done, you will find a disk labeled “EFI” belongs to the USB (the hidden one now visible). Open that, “EFI” > EFI > Clover, and using any plist editor (PlistEdit Pro is prefect) or CloverConfigurator app, edit config.plist with the following and save the file before closing it:

• ​​ACPI > DSDT > Fixes > Remove All
  • ACPI > DSDT > DropTables > Remove All
  • ACPI > SSDT > Generate > CStates > false
  • ACPI > SSDT > Generate > PStates > false
  • Boot > Arguments > -v dart=0 darkwake=0 nv_disable=1 kext-dev-mode=1
  • Devices > FakeID > IntelGFX > 0x0
  • Graphics > Inject > Intel > true
  • Graphics > ig-platform-id > 0x0a260006 (you can try others)
  • SMBIOS > (set it to MacBookPro11,2)
  • Replace “VBoxHFS.efi” with downloaded “HFSPlus.efi” in the folder “Drivers64UEFI”.
  • Copy the two kexts downloaded (FakeSMC.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext) into Kexts > 10.10 (or into Kexts > other).
Now the USB installer is ready for prime time.

Fix the config.plist as the instructions above. Also use HFSPlus.efi instead of HFSPlus-64.efi and update FakeSMC.kext to the latest version (links are in downloads section in OP)

Alright, whatever you have can be useful!

A bit of background:

When you make the USB installer you format the USB as one partition. However, OS X creates another hidden partition called EFI to store boot files (inside EFI folder). Using OS X you may not be able to see this partition (so you don't have access to the EFI partition inside it) because it is hidden and only main partition will be visible. This is not the case with Windows, however, where the USB-EFI partition will be visible by default and the other one will not be mountable because Windows does not support HFS+ file system.

Since you have Mavericks we can use it to access the EFI folder but only if we are able to see it (mount it). To do this run Mavericks, put the USB in, open the terminal, then enter the command:

diskutil list 

You will see a list of all disks and partitions available like this one:

Screen_Shot_2015_02_03_at_02_01_58.png

Take a look on the IDENTIFIER column on the right, disk0 usually refers to your internal HDD or SSD. Other disks will follow like disk1 which is a USB flash I'm inserting. Under disk1 you can see disk1s1 and disk1s2 which are the two partitions there. You can see that disk1s1 is marked on the left as EFI so if I wanted to mount the EFI partition on this USB I would need to mount disk1s1. To do this, type the next command in Terminal:

diskutil mount disk1s1 

This will give you access to the EFI partition and all its contents.

Hmm ... alright then ... I wasted time explaining things you didn't make use of anyway!

I'll look into it ...

EDIT

I see ... have you paid attention into this section from the guide:

Fix the config.plist as the instructions above. Also use HFSPlus.efi instead of HFSPlus-64.efi and update FakeSMC.kext to the latest version (links are in downloads section in OP)

Dont feel that wasted your time. Im glad you explained that because i was confused about how the EFI partition didnt show up in mavericks until after i installed clover.

I will do what you suggested and get back to you. Thank you very much for the help so far!

In System Info appears to 2047MB video card NVIDIA(video card from ultrabay). This means that system sees, right?

This is interesting !

You know, I am not an expert, I am just a guy who tried hard to get OS X working nicely on this laptop. I collected every thing I learnt and put into this guide but indeed there are more to add. At the beginning of my journey, someone advised that the card in ultrabay will never work and have to be removed. I toke his words and I never tried while it is in actually, my bad!  

I gave it a try and was able to boot into OS X without Intel I believe. So yes, the system sees it this is correct. Though mine needs drivers which I will install and try. Thanks for putting this here, it will change many things!

I boot with nvda_drv=1 Fake ID 0x10DE0FE4. Alternative Fake ID 0x10DE0FE9, are for GT 750M. For GT755M 0x10DE0FEA / 0x10DE0FCD. Video card fan starts, feels the heat. I tried with the original nvidia driver, but it does not work, there is no difference

between drivers from the site and the drivers from the system. The system starts with Nvidia integrated video card.