Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

Good luck, and thanks!

I would vote against flashing modded BIOS if only for WiFi white-list removal. After all, one will NEED a WiFi card supported by OS X so i would prefer to buy a WiFi card IN the white-list AND supported by OS X AND keep BIOS untouched. But in case of managing the active graphics mode, this may be a bonus.

The BIOS whitelist is REALLY short. It's better to flash, I'd think. Also, I've finished install. Getting hardware sorted out now. Thanks for the guide! Learned quite a bit I didn't know about OS X so far.

The BIOS whitelist is REALLY short. It's better to flash, I'd think.

I think you missed my point. The Intel Wireless N-2230 shipped with this laptop as you know is not supported by OS X. There is no other way but buying another card that OS X support so money will have to be spent. Thought the whitelist is short, you can go ahead and spend the money in a supported card within the list if you can find it (here it is). If you cannot find any, however, no choice but to mod BIOS then.

Thanks for the guide! Learned quite a bit I didn't know about OS X so far.

I am glad it helped, this was the main purpose for posting it, Enjoy!

• Like 1

Just so you guys know, I had more luck getting the install to boot with Clover r3168 than with r2999. That's just my experience. I used all the other configuration the same as OP. r2999 would flash Apple logo and then reboot. r3168 boots into kernel, but stops half-way through.

Just so you guys know, I had more luck getting the install to boot with Clover r3168 than with r2999. That's just my experience. I used all the other configuration the same as OP. r2999 would flash Apple logo and then reboot. r3168 boots into kernel, but stops half-way through.

I would not call that more luck since neither versions basically work for you. If you want help, zip your EFI folder and attach it here so we can take a look.

PS: I never said that only r2999 will work, other versions might work too. Maybe be tweaked configurations here and there but still work. The reason why I recommend r2999 because it is tested and proven to work very fine without any issue so why the upgrade and go through any hassle? if it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Try Clover 2953, worked from me. Do not forget to make folder 10.10 in kext and copy Fake smc and VoodooPS2Controller.

Would this same guide work for the Lenovo Ideapad G510/59-402507 model? 

The main steps for preparation, installation, clover config should work normally as well as any generic driver fix is likely to work without issues like sound, battery, and keyboard. Lenovo Ideapad Y510p and G510 both have Mobile Intel HD4600 (with different resolution but that won't matter) so I think I could say graphics fix would work too. The Wi-Fi chip in G510 is probably Intel as Y510p is so it will have to be replaced too. Unless you replace the card with the one mentioned in the guide, you will be on your own fixing your Wi-Fi. The one thing I want to note is that DSDT/SSDT's for Y510p would not work as these tables are specific to hardware and BIOS and might be different to your tables. Moreover, anything related to (or fixed by using) these tables including Sleep, Brightness and BrightnessControlShortcut will not work and you have to patch your own DSDT and SSDT's to apply these fixes .Do NOT try to use the DSDT and SSDT's attached in this guide because it may break your laptop.

Thanks for the guide! I have some questions though:

1. Does speedstep works properly (with native power management)?

2. Is TurboBoost Supported?

3. I see that you use VoodooHDA. I prefer AppleHDA. So can i decompile your DSDTs, patch them and recompile them to make it work with AppleHDA? Or do i have to patch everything (backlight, power, battery, audio, etc) from scratch?

I am yet to install it. Waiting for my wifi card. Most probably it will be delivered tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the guide! I have some questions though:

1. Does speedstep works properly (with native power management)?

2. Is TurboBoost Supported?

3. I see that you use VoodooHDA. I prefer AppleHDA. So can i decompile your DSDTs, patch them and recompile them to make it work with AppleHDA? Or do i have to patch everything (backlight, power, battery, audio, etc) from scratch?

I am yet to install it. Waiting for my wifi card. Most probably it will be delivered tomorrow.

Hi,

Thanks for asking these questions which made me verify my settings. Regarding questions 1 and 2, they used to work fine but I found them not working at the moment. I figured this out and it was because of the cpupm ssdt was old (back when I was using MacBookPro 6.2 smbios). Now that I'm using iMac 14.2 I thought to recreate the ssdt which worked correctly as you can see below, I will upload the new file.

Screen_Shot_2015_02_19_at_15_42_13.png

Screen_Shot_2015_02_19_at_15_46_182.png

The second picture confirms turbo-boost on demand.

Finally regarding question 3, AFAIK you don't need to start from scratch. Just go ahead and properly decompile the files and patch.

• Like 1

That's a very good news. I bet your system must feel smoother than before. Thanks for detailed explaination.

I was going to wait until tomorrow to install but i cannot resist the temptation anymore. I will install it right away and configure wifi later.

PS:  Are patched ssdt files already uploaded?

That's a very good news. I bet your system must feel smoother than before. Thanks for detailed explaination.

I was going to wait until tomorrow to install but i cannot resist the temptation anymore. I will install it right away and configure wifi later.

PS:  Are patched ssdt files already uploaded?

Go ahead and install, as you say wifi can be configured anytime. Updated patched ACPI tables are uploaded and Downloads section in OP is updated with new link. (and yes, it does feel smoother. I was thinking it is working since it was before so I never checked for a while now).

Edit:

Regarding speedstep and turbo-boost: in previous comment I wrote that these features suddenly stopped working for current setup (as written in the guide). I also tried to figure out the reason and opted to regenerate the cpupm ssdt which apparently got them to work.

However, I found that I didn't do much research before claiming that older cpupm ssdt doesn't currently work. I only said that because I tried to use DPCIManager to get the states which was not able to as it used to before. With the new cpupm ssdt I tested using AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext which was able to get me the results above. So to have a fair comparison, I tried the same method with the old ssdt and I got the results below. The older ssdt does have speedstep and turbo-boost working on current system and current SMBIOS but not as efficient as the new one. It is easy to see that at some points the pm was not working (marked in the graph by drop in the charts). Also the older ssdt generates fewer GPU P-states which makes using the newer one results in smoother graphic-wise experience.

Screen_Shot_2015_02_19_at_19_54_24.png

Screen_Shot_2015_02_19_at_19_55_23.png

So whether the reason for new cpump ssdt being better than the old is that the script used to generate the ssdt is updated to yield a more robust result or that the older one was generated for a different SMBIOS (have to be validated), I still recommend using the new cpupm ssdt (which is uploaded). I also believe using the latest version of ssdtPRGen.sh script to make new cpupm ssdt every now and then is good practice to ensure having better cpupm.

Hi guys, any one interested helping in trying to get AppleHDA working instead of VoodooHDA? I started to dig in but would appreciate some cooperation !!

Update: GOT IT WORKING! now testing it  :thumbsup_anim:

Update2: After testing ....

• Audio output:
    • Internal Speaker (built in): Works
    • External Speaker (headphone): Works (with auto switching of course)
  • Audio input:
    • Internal Microphone (built in): Works
    • External Microphone: Not Working

I think I will need to patch the AppleHDA kext from scratch to fix external microphone issue ...  :wallbash:

• Like 1

You are fast! I just got my wifi working and about to search for how to patch AppleHDA. But you already figured it out. Thanks.

By the way speed step is not working for me. No P-states messages in log whatsoever. And i was thinking of starting from scratch (to learn), patching DSDT, SSDT etc. I have already got my raw tables extracted from linux. There are so many guides and i am confused. Can you point me to the guide you used? And do you use DSDTEditor or MaciASL?

You are fast! I just got my wifi working and about to search for how to patch AppleHDA. But you already figured it out. Thanks.

Well, I always wanted to ditch VoodooHDA for native AppleHdA but it was a secondary objective since more important issues still exist. But since more people start to ask about it then why not doing it now? I will update the guide with AppleHDA approach once I fix the external mic issue.

By the way speed step is not working for me. No P-states messages in log whatsoever. And i was thinking of starting from scratch (to learn), patching DSDT, SSDT etc. I have already got my raw tables extracted from linux. There are so many guides and i am confused. Can you point me to the guide you used? And do you use DSDTEditor or MaciASL?

Are you using AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext or how do you expect to see states in log? Also, just out of curiosity, are you sure you are using the SSDT's correctly? have you remembered to drop OEM tables? Regarding patching from scratch, yes it is a good practice to do that and I did it once before and still learning (ACPI is really difficult to master but not that hard to know the basics). The sad part is that I don't have any specific guide to recommend because I used none. I used every page I found to learn something (or not). Basically, I start with Google and I try to find my way around. AFAIK, DSDEditor is deprecated, now almost every body use MaciASL and I use it too.

Since your are going for AppleHDA approach look for HDMI audio fix too.

Oh ! Im such a noob. I didn't install that kext. Checked using DPCIManager and got only 1 P-state (8) even after 5 mins (while using apps). Everything else i did right. I am patching right now. Lets see.

Cannot test it. My headphone with mic is broken.

And can you please tell me generic DSDT patches you applied?

I'm trying to fix brightness but it isnt working. I followed this guide here http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152659-guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-laptop-backlight-control.html

Brightness Slider is visible in SysPref->Display but changing it does nothing. Brightness keys work + Sound Keys (Fn+Up, Down, Left, Right). But still brightness doesnt change.

I compared your dsdt with mine and there are many changes (nt the changes you need to fix errors). So can you plz tell me the patches you applied? (Like HPET, Haswell LPC etc). Thanks.

And can you please tell me generic DSDT patches you applied?

I'm trying to fix brightness but it isnt working. I followed this guide here http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152659-guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-laptop-backlight-control.html

Brightness Slider is visible in SysPref->Display but changing it does nothing. Brightness keys work + Sound Keys (Fn+Up, Down, Left, Right). But still brightness doesnt change.

I compared your dsdt with mine and there are many changes (nt the changes you need to fix errors). So can you plz tell me the patches you applied? (Like HPET, Haswell LPC etc). Thanks.

I tried to put everything was on my head in the guide:

6.7 Brightness

Getting brightness to work perfectly is a process of several steps that I’ll cover in order of importance:

6.7.1 Patching DSDT or SSDT

Either DSDT or one of the SSDTs (whichever contains IGPU definition) have to be patched with "Brightness fix (Haswel)" from Rehabman Laptop Repository. Doing this correctly will result in having the brightness slider visible in System Preferences > Displays.

6.7.2 ACPIBacklight.kext

This is a must have kext that gets the job done assuming DSDT/SSDT is already patched. With this kext the brightness slider will function normally.

I will gather all the patches made in one section in the guide once I'm done with the audio thing.

I have a problem with USB3 slots, do not go at all. If i put an external hard drive can be heard as it spins but does not appear in the finder. Does not appear in Disk Utility, System Report. In kext/10.10 I put GenericUSBXHCI. Must be copied xhcdump?

Just completed patching DSDT and SSDT's for brightness, brightness keys, battery etc. Now im getting EHC1 & ECH2 assertions. Gotta fix that.

Well, I would appreciate more collaboration from someone who have the time and will to help fixing things! The audio thing is complicated a bit!

I'll help you mate. Don't worry. What do you need?